PDA

View Full Version : Is Proof of Residency Required from the Seller?

The SoCal Gunner
08-07-2007, 9:23 AM
Is Proof of Residency Required from the Seller?

While I have seen sellers provide their proof of residency for handguns, what PC requires this? I only see it mentioned on the DOJ website for buyers but not for sellers.

ARBITER
08-07-2007, 11:13 AM
The seller does not have to prove residency when selling a firearm, only the purchaser. The sellers card is swiped or photocopied. See attached for new California residents.http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php

magsnubby
08-07-2007, 7:29 PM
I've done a couple PPT's into my name. The seller only had to show his drivers license.

Sig357
08-07-2007, 7:56 PM
I believe seller only needs his drivers license, give his phone#, and his birthplace.
Oh and give his autograph of course, and hopefully pick up the DROS fee.:D

ghost
08-07-2007, 8:32 PM
I believe seller only needs his drivers license, give his phone#, and his birthplace.
Oh and give his autograph of course, and hopefully pick up the DROS fee.:D

i think most sellers expect the buyer to pay dros;)

Sig357
08-07-2007, 8:34 PM
i think most sellers expect the buyer to pay dros;)

I know, just wishful thinking.;)

1911_sfca
08-07-2007, 11:24 PM
No, it is assumed that a seller would not have gone through the onerous DROS process if he weren't a CA resident.

By the way, a driver's license is NOT considered adequate proof of residency. A car registration, amongst other things, is.

thedrickel
08-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Proof of residency for a handgun purchase is a joke (on both ends of the transaction). One FFL told me F2F that a C&R "is not a license" - after I pointed to the DOJ FAQ that says any gov't issued license with an exp. date and the address on the DROS counts . . . !!