PDA

View Full Version : Scenario 4: Its so dark!

TheChief
12-09-2012, 4:30 PM
Scenario

You and your family are at home. It's Sunday December 9th, 2012 and it 7:13PM.

You're on the computer or watching the TV and suddenly the lights flicker, the screen emits a high pitched whistle, and the bulbs in the lamps pop (filaments/electronics pop not the glass bulb). You are in complete darkness.

You grab a flashlight from the junk drawer, or wherever you keep it, and take a look around the place. The power panel has tripped. You flip the breaker but nothing happens.

You turn on your battery powered radio and there is nothing. No noise from it what so ever. You replace the batteries with some brand new ones and still nothing. Its dead.

You pull out your cell phone to call a neighbor or friend and find it is dead and will not turn on.

You notice a slight smell of fried electronics (ozone) throughout the house.

You go outside and realize the only lights you see are from cars or airplanes. All the street lights, traffic signals, tower warning lights, and neighboring houses as far as you can see are out. You do see some faint lights in the sky like an aurora.

You go to your car and try the radio there, nothing but static. You try to start the car and it fires up. (AS IN YOUR CAR DOES WORK)

Resources

You have whatever gas in the tank, cash in your pocket, supplies and preps at home that you have as of the moment you are reading this scenario.

It's 5 minutes after the power went out...What do you do now?

rooster85
12-09-2012, 4:33 PM
Crack a beer, or in my case a mason jar full of sweet tea, and watch the circus.

nothinghere2c
12-09-2012, 4:33 PM
Lock and load. It's gonna be a long night. Wait till daylight to get more information.

VegasND
12-09-2012, 4:44 PM
Open the front door, leave the security door locked and listen for anything happening I might want to go out and watch.

devil83dog@hotmail.com
12-09-2012, 4:47 PM
Build a fire outside and roast some marshmallows while telling spooky stories...........12ga near by..jic

TheChief
12-09-2012, 4:54 PM
No mad dashes to the store?

Fundamentals
12-09-2012, 5:05 PM
- Foolishly check the car to ensure the electronics in it have been fried too
- Look around and acknowledge that it will be weeks until even the basics can be fixed
- Consult with neighbors about their plans, expecting the typical optimistic "government going to safe us answers"
- Load up what useful wilderness equipment I got into two backpacks and 4 bicycle saddlebags (two mountain/climbing bikes, myself and one other)
- Secure my armaments on my person and my "vehicle"
- Double check everything, especially the maps
- Check the magnetism of the compass several times
- Eat/cook what I can, rest well, ensure all my hardcover books are in several layers of plastic bagging, with extras stuff in the books in case some break
- Head out in the early morning before dawn, heading north along a constant water source that is near me, but hard to travel upon, which hopefully will keep 70% of the locals from being able to follow that same route

There is not much I got at home to survive (very little preserved food), nor would it help in the area I am in, mainly low income latinos with huge families and horses. It will also take a few days before the true reality of what happened has set in, which will hopefully give me the chance to beat it out of crowded areas before people become shoot happy. In my lifestyle, prepping will not help me that much, and in my situation, I can expect to get raided very quickly, as my block is one of the few "nice" ones.

I expect my plan is very subpar, but I also do not have the financial luxury of prepping, nor the community needed to succeed. My chances are much higher by moving to a "live" off the land scenario using my knowledge, with the goal of obtaining enough furs/cave spots to get farther north. I assume the majority of people will head south as time goes on to escape the harsh, cold winters of the northern states.

scootergmc
12-09-2012, 5:31 PM
I'm going to take a dump.

Librarian
12-09-2012, 5:33 PM

With no lights and non-functioning electric registers, most will close.

Carrington event (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_event)? At least in Europe where it's dark they would have had a light show to entertain them.

(ETA actually, we might have seen it too - the particles don't travel light speed, so might take a day or so to get here.)

RuggedJay
12-09-2012, 5:40 PM
Light candles.

TheChief
12-09-2012, 5:56 PM
With no lights and non-functioning electric registers, most will close.

Carrington event? At least in Europe where it's dark they would have had a light show to entertain them.

I would have a wad of cash, a few silver American Eagles, a headlamp, and a subcompact. I could be at the store in under 5 minutes so figure 10 minutes from the event.

My grocery store has a backup genie but I figured it would be fried as well. However, they may not have sent everyone home and are still trying to get the genie online.

If the front doors were locked and no one came to the doors after banging on them, I would go around back to where the genie is and seek out the manager. Letting him know I just had to pickup a few things and I would pay in cash with no need for a receipt. If that didn't work I would offer up the Eagles to offset his inconvenience.

If that didn't work, I would explain to him privately what I thought was going on.

If that didn't work I would leave.

Whether I got the food or not, I would head over to the Police station and let them know what I thought was going on and that they think about protecting the markets from looters.

FatCity67
12-09-2012, 6:12 PM
I can be at the store in 3 minutes. I know exactly the aisle where the Costco size items are carried. Im sure the door would not be locked and I load up on canned item meats, beans, rice etc...

I'd just leave the approximated amount with the clerk. Most all larger retail stores have a power failure kits to hand write sales reciepts for all remaining customers in stores when the lights go out.

Taidaisher
12-09-2012, 6:12 PM
1st things 1st, I look at my wife and say "I TOLD YOU!!!"

Then I wrangle in the kids and let them know what's going on and that there is nothing we can do about it at the moment.
I grab my PPKs, pop the mag, chamber a round, grab my 2nd mag.
Check the car (chances are that since the electronics in the house are fried, the car is dead too, but just in case).
Head outside, check with the neighbors, make sure everyone is as OK as they can be.
Have a conversation with about keeping the neighborhood safe over night and talk about some quick emergency action plans. (My neighbors, though I haven't spoken with them regarding these issues, I think are preppers.)
Head back home, throw on my tac vest (MOLLE, fixed blade, extra ammo, etc., etc.,) hunker down till the morning.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
12-09-2012, 6:14 PM
Do what I always do when the lights go out, go to the back yard and make "sweet love" ;)

TheChief
12-09-2012, 6:30 PM
Folks, in this scenario your car works. It is not dead.

Lone_Gunman
12-09-2012, 6:39 PM
Load up the cars and head for the BOL. If cars are still working the highways and secondary roads should remain clear enough for the first couple hours to give us time to load up and head out.

Taidaisher
12-09-2012, 6:47 PM
With the car working:

I would put my wife and kids in her car and send them to her cousin's house (about 2 minutes away, even with traffic at a deadlock, they can make the walk there in 15 or so minutes). I would load up my car with everything (water, food, 1st aid, electronics(in case we get them working again), weapons, tools, clothes, misc. items) and head to the cousin's house.
Once there, we would load up their RV, hitch up their toy hauler with the dirt bikes, quad, and use the rest of the space for additional gear. Put the children (my 2 and their 3) with the wives in the RV. They are good friends with their neighbor 3 houses over (also owns a RV, off road toys, outdoorsy type). Would get them into the fold most likely head out to a small parcel of land on the lake, about 4 hours north of our location. The caravan would hit the freeways probably about 10 miles north of our location, and hopefully would avoid the traffic at local SoCal freeway choke points south of us.

If not, then we would hunker down at their place and figure our our next move.

KevinB
12-09-2012, 7:03 PM
Nothing. I have solar- with a generator system. The Generator- Battery building is Poured cinder block construction with a steel roof. Not for EMP but for noise.

I live in a very rural area and know all my neighbors on our private gated road.

You guys are pretty much screwed.

jyo
12-09-2012, 7:07 PM
Take a nap---let the dogs be security...

jjojjojoe
12-09-2012, 7:56 PM
While I don't see the likelihood of most end of the world scenarios, the likelihood of an earthquake or natural disaster that can disrupt services like electricity, water or gas is quite high...

In this particular scenario, if I had the heads up on what was really going on, I would definitely hop in the car and pick up as much stuff as possible before everybody else caught on. Most people don't have bug out lairs, bunkers, or an RV, so I'd have to stick it out at home with the family.

-First, I'd wash the tub and fill it with water just in case city pumps or pipes got taken out (in the case of an earthquake).
-Second, since I don't have a generator, I'd have my family assess the perishable foods in the fridge and freezer to see what we'd have to eat first
-Third, I'd head over to the nearest store and grab some perishable and non-perishable food, water, ice, batteries, candles, charcoal, etc. If everything goes back to normal relatively quickly, we'll have a really great BBQ and extra canned food. Doubtful I'd go packing any weapons at this point, but I might toss the lockbox into the car. Maybe...
-Fourth, I may dig up gear that might be needed. Lanterns, candles, stoves, out of the garage.

If communications were all fried including the phone, computer, tv and radio... that would really suck. Information would be scarce. By the time the government even figured out what was going on, I'd imagine response times would be several days later... My options would be very limited and I'd probably end up waiting it out at home.

Fundamentals
12-09-2012, 8:10 PM

If the car works, then the majority of other electronics would work too. :confused:

Irv
12-09-2012, 8:13 PM
Half of that scenario just happened not to long ago. What did you guys do when the lights went out from Phoenix to Los Angeles. I BBQed and had dinner early before it got dark and had all light system in place before it got dark. Of course the electrical came back that early morning if I remember correctly. Many freaked because no gas station could pump gas.

11HE9
12-09-2012, 8:22 PM
ScenarioYou go to your car and try the radio there, nothing but static. You try to start the car and it fires up. (AS IN YOUR CAR DOES WORK)

Resources

You have whatever gas in the tank, cash in your pocket, supplies and preps at home that you have as of the moment you are reading this scenario.

It's 5 minutes after the power went out...What do you do now?

I'd have "One Second After" flashing through my head... :eek:

I'd probably head for the shed (steel sea container) and check if the generator(s) will fire. If the genny starts, I'd be thinking about getting as much fuel as I can get my hands on... we just did our monthly Costco run :D

At this point I'd probably be armed, the Mrs too. At some point I'd go check on "The Main house" (We are on eleven acres with my wifes folks) and start taking stock of what we have on the property, I know what I have here ;)

11HE9
12-09-2012, 8:38 PM

Stores local to me wouldn't have anything I'd really need right away. Anything in town is 35-40 minutes away on a good day, I'd be better off staying put until morning.

EM2
12-09-2012, 8:48 PM
I'd stay put.
I have a few months of grub & about 13,000 gallons of water on hand so I think I am good for a little while.

Chaparral
12-09-2012, 8:54 PM
Id check the functionality of certain force multipliers and then head up to the local market (5 minutes away, door to door) and see whats available. Id also fill a bunch of containers of water while we still have gravity feed. Then itd be time to call it a night and get some shuteye.

My dish network receiver is unplugged and I have a couple spare flatscreens, spare 8 channel DVR and ten CCD cameras. When the aurora stops id probably hook them up and see if I can get a signal. That might take a few days.

Steve_In_29
12-09-2012, 8:55 PM

If there was enough of an EMP that it fried the electronics in portable radios, then it would have fried the computers in modern cars as well. The only vehicles that would still be working would be ones like the two Early Broncos sitting in my yard.

In order for modern cars to still work, the surge had to be through the power lines and thus anything not plugged in would still work.

badreligion
12-09-2012, 8:57 PM
First have the wife and kids begin filling empty containers with water (need to order water bobs). Check to see if the gas still works. Move my two vehicles will full gas tanks to the back yard behind the house. Hook up the off road utility trailer to the truck. Light some candles. Load some magazines. Read a book and to to sleep.

In the morning report for work.

Taidaisher
12-09-2012, 9:00 PM
-First, I'd wash the tub and fill it with water just in case city pumps or pipes got taken out (in the case of an earthquake).

Try something like this (http://www.redcrossstore.org/Shopper/Product.aspx?uniqueitemid=513)

11HE9
12-09-2012, 9:13 PM
Try something like this (http://www.redcrossstore.org/Shopper/Product.aspx?uniqueitemid=513)

One of my co-workers just ordered one of those. We were discussing "SHTF" when I hit on quick emergency water storage, he looked a bit pale :eek:

Jet Setter
12-09-2012, 9:25 PM
I'm going to take a dump.

Lol.

For me, have the weapons at the ready, check my supplies, and wait till daylight for more a better assessment of the situation. Check on my neighbors (the ones I am friends with) and see how hey are set up. Definitely not leaving the house.

Rider1k
12-09-2012, 9:49 PM
I would stick close to the house as I have most things I need right here. Water is something I can never seem to keep around. I am not more than a hours hike to a river or 30 min hike to irrigation ponds. I do have filters and the ability to make drinking water. If vehicles are working I would bug out to the land I hunt on as it is gated and would be heavily defended from all my LEO hunting partners that also would head there. 30 min drive from my door step.

cycle61
12-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Bugging IN.

We have food, we have a clean enough stream a hundred yards downhill, we're armed, and nobody can see the house from any street with the lights out. Street-facing windows get blacked out if we decide to light candles.

Long term-plan? TBD. Talk to neighbors face to face. Community meeting is likely at the local park, near the bottom of the canyon. Hell, if cars work, that means earthmoving equipment can work, and there are at least two construction companies based up here. I'll bet we could permanently block off our road and have a little self-contained and well defended community of a hundred people or so.

cudakidd
12-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Hunker down...already have the preps for 30 days set...that's the point right?

Toyman321
12-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Got one of these:http://www.goalzero.com/images/products/ext350expkit.jpg
So I'd smoke one of these: http://www.greatclubs.com/images/new/clubs/cigar-of-the-month-club.jpg

Changalang
12-09-2012, 11:42 PM
start fire. find beers. make popcorn.
life without power goes on. dont panic. communicate with your neighbors.

IVth Horseman
12-10-2012, 3:56 AM
Hit McDonalds before the fryer goes cold. Then come home and light some candles and load some mags. I dont need any additional supplies so I'd avoid stores, no BOL so I'd hunker down and wait for info.

kb58
12-10-2012, 6:33 AM
Scenario

You and your family are at home. It's Sunday December 9th, 2012 and it 7:13PM...
Dang, I missed another false apocolypse?!

kb58
12-10-2012, 6:40 AM
Half of that scenario just happened not to long ago. What did you guys do when the lights went out from Phoenix to Los Angeles. I BBQed and had dinner early before it got dark and had all light system in place before it got dark. Of course the electrical came back that early morning if I remember correctly. Many freaked because no gas station could pump gas.
I drove home as usual, discussed it with the neighbors, then pulled out our oil lamp and made dinner on our gas stove, then went to bed.

I think the more extreme fantasy SHTF scenarios are a form of escapism. It's fun to dream about the ultimate camping trip, what bad-a** guns and gear to buy, and jumping from rock to rock offing bad guys. Much more so than figuring how to pay the mortgage, deal with the ex, get the car fixed, or change departments because the boss sucks... In a way, it's imagining ways to run away from one's problems. That'll be $100, next?

tacksman
12-10-2012, 7:25 AM
nothing in the house works but my car runs? awesome.

Dubious_Beans
12-10-2012, 9:00 AM
It's 7:13PM?
Gonna finish dinner by candlelight or 12v lighting depending on my mood.

Maybe read for an hour while dinner digests, then go to bed early.
Probably would shut off the main breaker to the house before I turn in, just so if the power were to come back on it wouldn't fry more stuff or start a fire with the pre-fried stuff.

In the morning when it's light and (after I've had my breakfast) I'll go start the generator and assess the damage. Then probably go have a chat with my neighbors to make sure they're OK.

Time to bug in.

speedrrracer
12-10-2012, 11:17 AM
If the event JUST happened, we BO. Superquick BOB-only evac to the truck, drive the 3 miles to the harbor.

Living room to passing harbor entrance in decent conditions is under 30 mins.

Maybe an over-reaction, but an outage like that isn't going to recover quickly. Radio silence means serious problems -- one of the largest radio stations in San Diego has it's own generator, and was broadcasting during the last power outage, so that tells me something much worse than a "normal" outage has happened.

That in turn tells me recovery will not happen overnight, and since our jobs depend on electricity, they won't mind if we take some unannounced time off.

We just keep sailing south. Brother-in-law knows where to find us for the first two days, and maybe we connect with him, maybe not.

If the radios come back on, we turn around and head back to civilization. If not, we'll be in Micronesia in a month or two, returning to a couple of uninhabited islands that we really enjoyed visiting this past summer.

TheChief
12-10-2012, 2:02 PM
Its a scenario folks, if you dont want to play along then move on peacably on but. There is no need to bash those of us that are interested.

As a prepper I am always running scenarios through my head. It keeps me from getting complacent. Think of it as mental training in my free time after the mortgage is paid, the kids are asleep and I have some down time.

Its now Monday...

No power.

The radio in your car gets no stations. No static, and no signal.

If you have a phone line powered phone, it doesnt work. If you connect one to the line, no power or signal.

Only electronics that were in a grounded all metal box or vehicles work.

Generators with on board integrated circuitry, like a voltage controller, are dead.

You hear various sirens traveling here and there and only see small planes and helicopters in the air.

Off in the distance you see a number of smoke plumes (along the lines of a house fire a couple miles off)

If you have a HAM setup that was in a grounded metal box, you get lots of static through the night and finally start hearing others broadcasting around noon. Everyone you talk with has experienced the same outage. There are reports that Mexico city is out as well. No word from other countries.

Most large stores are closed. The grocery stores have gone to power out mode and there are long lines. Some of them have managed to get a few of the trailer based generators functioning. It is hit or miss on what form of payment they are taking.

The few gas stations that have functioning generators have long lines but are not rationing.

There is no rioting but people are asking lots of questions.

Eldraque
12-10-2012, 2:13 PM
me and my mom would drive to Safeway, my dad and sister guard the house. pull up to the REAR entrance of the store, sneak through and try to grab useful things, candles, non perishable food, water, etc.

then we would all leave our house in the suburbs and go to my grandparents rural house 40 min away to wait it out, or live off the land.

speedrrracer
12-10-2012, 2:26 PM
Sounds like an EMP scenario. Glad we (theoretically) bugged out. We would be off the coast of Baja, probably heading towards a favorite tuna fishing spot to load up!

TEOTWAWKI, probably, but maybe not...I'd say there's a 2% chance civilization hangs on.

Librarian
12-10-2012, 2:59 PM
Sounds like an EMP scenario.

Yes, it does.

If all the radio we're getting is silence, that means whole US is down - 50,000 watt clear-channel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear-channel_station#List_of_all_clear-channel_stations) AM stations can be heard for more than a thousand miles at night.

Hams checking the .mil bands? I might start with these (http://www.arrl.org/files/media/News/Annual_Armed_Forces_Day_Crossband_Test-2012.pdf).

I wouldn't plan on going anywhere - no place to go - so information is what I want.

speedrrracer
12-10-2012, 3:54 PM
If all the radio we're getting is silence, that means whole US is down - 50,000 watt clear-channel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear-channel_station#List_of_all_clear-channel_stations) AM stations can be heard for more than a thousand miles at night.

Exactly. And if the whole US is down (and more, I can hear several Mexican stations here in San Diego, so this scenario is at least multi-national), then the bodies are piling up by the second.

Couldn't find any stats on how many Americans are on life support at any given time, but they're probably dead. Many Americans that were in surgery are probably dead -- hard to "close up" in the dark.

All the Americans that were flying are most likely to be dead. Even if the planes themselves are fine, the land-based things like runway lights won't be, so crashes will be happening at every airport in the nation. That will close every runway in America, and then the planes which arrive a minute / hour / etc later will have nowhere to land. First they'll try to land on military runways, but they'll crash there (closing those runways) and eventually try to land on roads / flat areas / etc, causing massive damage / death / fires / etc. No way to tell the incoming flights to turn back, so international flights will be arriving / crashing for another day or so.

With traffic and street lights out, car collisions / traffic jams will increase by some gigantic magnitude, snarling traffic in cities nationally.

The nuclear power plants are running on....good vibrations? if their generators didn't survive, prolly the battery backup didn't survive, either. Certainly the complex electronics which control all those things are up a creek, so 105 or so nuclear power plants in America are starting to Chernobyl, which is a nice thought. Cancer and radiation poisoning are about to become the National Pastime.

All that other stuff covered on the National Geographic Channel will also happen -- frozen toxic chemicals will soon be venting from their freight-car-sized containers as they thaw, sewers will be backup up, car collisions / traffic will be crippling due to no traffic lights / street lights, trains will derail killing thousands, oil and natural gas systems would have to be manually shut down to avoid catastrophes (and how to you do that when all the roads are clogged, you can't contact the engineers, etc?), etc, etc, etc.

I wouldn't plan on going anywhere - no place to go - so information is what I want.

Along with every survivor, but how will you get it? No electricity == no meaningful, large-scale comms. I'm sure there are some stored electrics here and there, but is any of it part of a coordinated plan intended to restore comms in such an event? The only Congressional EMP study (http://www.empcommission.org/) I ever read concluded that the US Government & military are woefully unprepared for such an event...

Anyways, without electricity, who can even gather the info necessary to determine what actually happened, at least before the nuke plants meltdown and the oil and natural gas pipelines start to leak and cause huge explosions and fires? How long will you wait in situ without any word from "the authorities"?

deadhawg
12-10-2012, 4:26 PM
Hunker down...already have the preps for 30 days set...that's the point right?

This.

maddoggie13
12-10-2012, 4:33 PM
Take up position at the local Taco Bells.

Dubious_Beans
12-10-2012, 4:43 PM
Well, the folks who bought those nice Honda "inverter" generators are probably screwed unless it's been stored in a "safe" place.
Thankfully my generator is a dinosaur and as long as there's some kind of flammable oil around to run it on it'll probably still work long after the last cockroach is dead. :)

So... what's the ruling on refrigerators? Do they still work? What I do with some of the food depends on whether any of my refrigerator/freezers still work.

Chaparral
12-10-2012, 4:47 PM
Monday..hmmm. Get on the bicycle and do a quick recon to several umm, retail establishments that have what some of what I might consider "family" need. If they're open and the roads to them are open, I take the pickup truck. Cash is king...for those who don't know yet. Those who do know use a crowbar or just walk out the employee door with the goods.

Also, my Makita 18V LiIon quickcharger was plugged in last night...didn't mean to leave it plugged but was in the middle of a ballz to the wall remodeling project. I need a new one.

It also just so happens that I have a bunch of photovoltiac cells (1.5KW worth) that weren't hooked up, due to said remodeling. I also have a Xantrex prosine that usually isn't hooked up.

The Zenith Transoceanic 600 ship to shore unit, circa 1959 with vacuum tubes just laughs at everything and continues to function, albeit drawing the same current as a small space heater on low setting. I rig about 180 odd feet of wire for an antenna...by draping it over the hedges along a property line.

Mostly I stay home and keep to myself or ride the bike and keep getting intel on when the local stores open (either with an employee with keys or a brick or tire-iron..don't matter to me at this point). Gonna start intensively working that garden just in case this turns out like the last scenario.

Dogs go inside a garage. OPSEC at neighborhood meetings: no one is my friend. Everyone is a potential enemy. No mention of pets, other than to say that mine all got out and ran away. Oh, and all my camping food was eaten by a bear last time I was in the mountains. No mention of guns either..they all got lost in a tragic boating accident.

At least I don't have to worry about the mortgage..that got paid off a couple years ago...so no escapist fantasy here, only fear and apprehension.

Oh yeah, I have a small fridge..4 cu ft maybe..that works. It's never plugged in. It works tho..

I also have one of those fancy coolers with a thermoelectric element that can either heat or cool the contents to +/- 40 deg F above or below ambient. Gonna hook that bad boy to some 12V photovoltiacs and have refrigeration for meat, cheese and eggs.

calif 15-22
12-10-2012, 4:49 PM
The Scenerio you describe is a full on EMP (natural or man made)
Those that think the stores have "emergency power" for these events will be out of luck. Those large generators that back-up stores will be fried. If you are in the store you will be asked to leave your carts and exit the store. Ask me how I know this?? Because I was in a Safeway when the power went out and the store was cleared. (you may come back and loot at a later time of course)

If it is a true long term situation I think I would bug in for several reasons:
1. Food is at home - 30 days plus
2. Water is at home - 30 days plus
3. Everything else is at home - shelter, family, guns, etc.

For me bug out would only be for some scenerio where staying is not possible or not practical. Pandemic of some kind or fire or mobs etc.

Hard to say for sure but I'd bug in for power outage, bug out for all others.

calif 15-22
12-10-2012, 4:50 PM
Well, the folks who bought those nice Honda "inverter" generators are probably screwed unless it's been stored in a "safe" place.
Thankfully my generator is a dinosaur and as long as there's some kind of flammable oil around to run it on it'll probably still work long after the last cockroach is dead. :)

So... what's the ruling on refrigerators? Do they still work? What I do with some of the food depends on whether any of my refrigerator/freezers still work.

DANG IT . . . I just bought 2 of those :facepalm: I bought them for storm outages more so than SHTF though.

TheChief
12-10-2012, 5:03 PM

Hard call...Lets go with if it was plugged in at the time, assume the transformer, motor, and any solid state electronics are fried.

TheChief
12-10-2012, 5:08 PM
The nuclear power plants are running on....good vibrations? if their generators didn't survive, prolly the battery backup didn't survive, either. Certainly the complex electronics which control all those things are up a creek, so 105 or so nuclear power plants in America are starting to Chernobyl, which is a nice thought. Cancer and radiation poisoning are about to become the National Pastime.

I would assume that the control and backup systems at a nuke plant are heavily grounded and protected from EMI. And there would be significant protection against power spikes coming back from the lines. However, are they protected from an EMP level spike...rolling the twenty sided dice says...crud it fell off the table.

Dubious_Beans
12-10-2012, 5:47 PM
Hard call...Lets go with if it was plugged in at the time, assume the transformer, motor, and any solid state electronics are fried.

Oh fine. You're gonna make me go out to the shed and bring the little portable AC/DC freezer into the house and transfer my frozen foods into it. :mad:

Oh well, at least I can still keep some stuff frozen and eat most of it before it goes bad.

The power has been off 4 days now?
I wish those hens would start laying. I just ate my last store bought egg.
I'd kind of like some fresh milk too.

The wife is starting to get kind of cranky because she can't watch Dancing with the Stars. I see hard times ahead...

Dutch3
12-10-2012, 6:12 PM
Hit McDonalds before the fryer goes cold.

Why?

pat4wd
12-10-2012, 8:14 PM
Go to bed early

Dubious_Beans
12-10-2012, 8:39 PM
Go to bed early

Yes. I think "early to bed, early to rise", and making maximum use of available daylight will become the way of life again.

No more going to bed at 1AM and sleeping until 9...

olhunter
12-10-2012, 9:04 PM
Nothing. I have solar- with a generator system. The Generator- Battery building is Poured cinder block construction with a steel roof. Not for EMP but for noise.

Grabbing all my booze and heading to Kevin's house.

11HE9
12-10-2012, 9:14 PM
Its now Monday...

No power.

The radio in your car gets no stations. No static, and no signal.

If you have a phone line powered phone, it doesnt work. If you connect one to the line, no power or signal.

Only electronics that were in a grounded all metal box or vehicles work.

Generators with on board integrated circuitry, like a voltage controller, are dead.

Sounds like a EMP scenario.

I'd have to agree with the EMP (One Second After) scenario.

I think I would discretely stash a few supplies in the FJ40 (food, water, guns), and travel the mile and a half in to work to touch base with some like minded folks. Maybe talk about some "Plan B" planning, as long as the locals haven't spooked yet...

I know my local stop & rob is dead in the water if the local utility goes out, that supply could be tapped later (gasoline). I know of a few above ground locations for fuel, just need to barter with the owners. From what I understand about EMP, my gensets should be okay. I'll be scrounging for fuel to keep the well going, freezer freezing, and keep the beer cold ;)

Saym14
12-10-2012, 9:21 PM
I check if the water works. and if so fill containers.

then I load mags

then I wait it out

got enough food water and ammo for 6 months prolly more.

Chaparral
12-10-2012, 9:43 PM
OK, lets say that out of three nearby grocery stores, two had gennies and long lines with armed security present. Cash only.

I waited in line and loaded up the carts with blocks of Swiss, cheddar, brie, Monterey Jack and lunchmeat of whatever I could grab. I also loaded up on cooking oils. Those things are all high in lipids and therefore pack huge amounts of calories in dense compact form. They also don't keep very well when timeframes of months to years are involved. Those go in the aforementioned fridge/coolers.

I also check a few pet stores and get a few thousand dollars of whatever dry dog food I can score. I might even drill a lock in back, let myself in, get the food and leave a few dozen $100.00 bills with a note.

There probably wouldn't be enough time to score an 18V Makita Lion charger. Stoopid me for leaving it plugged in.

If there are truck mounted gennies for grocery stores, there will be the same for military command centers.

Fatgunman
12-10-2012, 9:48 PM
Begin operation "world take over", lol

cdtx2001
12-11-2012, 6:59 AM
If the power goes out, then I'm building my Thunderdome.

Then I'm gonna head down to my local strip club and see if any of those girls need a side job while they wait for the black lights to come back on

truep
12-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Grab a bunch of blankets and sit in the corner whimpering quietly as I rock myself back and forth in a fetal position.

Quinc
12-11-2012, 4:54 PM
Chief you must drive your wife crazy when the power goes out! :P My biggest worry is that something like this happens so I go and break into the local safeway stock up etc, maybe hurt someone that tries to stop me. Only to find out 5 days later everything is back to normal. :o

Steve_In_29
12-11-2012, 5:45 PM
Its a scenario folks, if you dont want to play along then move on peacably on but. There is no need to bash those of us that are interested.

As a prepper I am always running scenarios through my head. It keeps me from getting complacent. Think of it as mental training in my free time after the mortgage is paid, the kids are asleep and I have some down time.....Nothing wrong with running scenarios.....BUT to be effective training tools they need to be realistic.

An EMP as big as you are postulating WILL FRY EVERY IC CHIP/TRANSISTOR that isn't using military grade shielding or isn't stored (powered down) in a faraday cage enclosure. So the only vehicles running are older ones with no computer and points-type ignitions. Even HEI distributors will have the module fried (easy fix with a swapped in points distributor though). There will be no planes and helos flying except for (possibly) military birds.

Non-mechanical controlled gennies will be toast. The portable fridge/freezes will be toast. Those new fridges at home with the digital displays will be toast. The Xantrex inverter will be toast. Most all of the transformers in our power grid will be toast (think decades to replace). This will be a major restructuring of life as we know it and there will be major unrest once that starts to sink in.

Daesu
12-11-2012, 6:01 PM
Tag for later

cycle61
12-11-2012, 6:09 PM
My truck and generator will still work. (75% sure on the truck). I'm planning on picking up another HT and storing it with other emergency supplies. Ammo can/etc would provide protection against EMP, yes?

Uxi
12-11-2012, 6:15 PM
Pop open the safe, give my wife one of the Surefire Fury's, break out the disaster fund cash out of the safe along with some weapons and hit up the local Turners and grocery store and get some extra water, propane, CR123's, and ammo.

Dubious_Beans
12-11-2012, 6:52 PM
break out the disaster fund cash out of the safe along with some weapons and hit up the local Turners and grocery store and get some extra water, propane, CR123's, and ammo.

I think it's pretty foolish to assume that Turners & the local grocery store, etc. are going to be open for business after a major power failure.
It's already dark, the power is out over a wide area, and most places are gonna close up and let the employees go home.
How many loyal employees are gonna stick around to pump gas or propane for you after an EMP? Most are gonna say F.U. and go home to their family.

Even If you actually find some place that's open that might fill that propane tank there's already 100 people in line. And the bottled water is sold out.

I think it's pretty unlikely you're gonna get any supplies unless you break in or take them by force. So... are you already looting & possibly killing on the first day?

Maybe you should buy some water, propane, ammo, & CR123's now and put them away...?

Uxi
12-11-2012, 7:01 PM
Maybe you should buy some water, propane, ammo, & CR123's now and put them away...?

I stock a reasonable amount of each. I'd definitely be trying to get more before they get cleaned out, though. Worst they can say is no. Some grocery stores and/or mom/pop places will definitely operate.

If it's a long term deal, they're going to get looted out eventually.

Chaparral
12-11-2012, 7:26 PM
Ummm. No. Almost all of my s**t will work. I have over a dozen faraday boxes in the form of metal toolboxes, rollaways, kennedy kits, ammo cans, ceiling height steel cabinets, Greenlee truck bed units...you get the idea. None of that Ikea or particle board crap in my places. The Xantrex will work along with a bunch of other stuff. Think anyone will need an Argon ion laser or a bunch of spectrophotometers and oscilloscopes after EOTWAWKI?

cdtx2001
12-11-2012, 7:44 PM
Soooo, is it safe to say that no one else will be trying to hire the strippers?

Just checking.

I'll be giving them all my money since it will be (even more) useless paper before too long. But hey, they're strippers and they don't know any better.

Librarian
12-11-2012, 9:08 PM
So, here it is Tuesday; have our local hams started to pick up any .mil traffic?

Unless DC and Cheyenne Mountain and a few other places took multi-megaton hits, .mil should be back in business. Degraded, probably, but up.

Even FEMA (*ptui!) ought to have come back to life.

ETA - anyone checked with a surviving GPS receiver? There were 31 birds plus a couple old 'spares'; if we get GPS sometimes, we can infer that nobody specifically tried to smoke all the satellites, so perhaps those on the far side of the planet from the 'event' survived. Similarly, someone somewhere should have a satellite phone - any evidence one of those still talks to comsats?

cycle61
12-11-2012, 9:51 PM
I've heard nothing directly. I only have 2m/440 here at the bottom of the canyon, and if any of the locals had HF gear that was safely stowed against EMP, they aren't talking yet. I hiked up to the top of the ridge to see if any of the repeaters were responding, but was unable to get any hits. Simplex contact with a couple other people from our local ARC, but no information pending from outside the area.

Generator still runs, but my fuel is limited and I'm attempting not to advertise that I have power. Our community has formed an impromptu checkpoint at the one road into the canyon, and anybody who isn't recognized will not be getting through without the ability to force their way through a couple of armed sentries and a 1976 Ford F-700 dump truck. Nobody is really trying to enter, and anybody who thought they should leave has done so.

The local water district is fed from the creek, and a few dozen wells scattered over the valley. We have supply, but no treatment capacity. The district is manning the three redwood storage tanks, allowing anybody who needs water to draw from them, but soon enough there will be no more treated water.

There is certainly no shortage of wood for fuel, although getting it dry is challenging. Deer and squirrel are plentiful, and I've heard some intermittent gunfire that sounds like hunting. I'm considering staking out the upper part of our property and bagging one of the three or four does who wander through there every evening. The trees, steep terrain, and proximity to other homes with potentially hungry residents will make tracking difficult, so if I do go deer hunting it'll have to be with the rather noisy .44, and I'd rather avoid the attention. On the other hand, in two weeks there may not be any deer left in this canyon, and I'd hate to find that out while the food runs low. There's a sizeable lake right over the ridge, normally closed during the winter to public access, but I'm sure it's being fished by now.

Quinc
12-12-2012, 9:07 AM
I think it's pretty foolish to assume that Turners & the local grocery store, etc. are going to be open for business after a major power failure.
It's already dark, the power is out over a wide area, and most places are gonna close up and let the employees go home.
How many loyal employees are gonna stick around to pump gas or propane for you after an EMP? Most are gonna say F.U. and go home to their family.

Even If you actually find some place that's open that might fill that propane tank there's already 100 people in line. And the bottled water is sold out.

I think it's pretty unlikely you're gonna get any supplies unless you break in or take them by force. So... are you already looting & possibly killing on the first day?

Your assuming that everyone knows what an EMP is. The power has gone out plenty of times for days in a row and stores have stayed open.

speedrrracer
12-12-2012, 9:12 AM
Hypothetical Report from off Baja coast: Light winds, making way modestly. Foggy early, briefly clear, then high clouds with chilly nights and cool days.

Luckily the wind is sufficient to move us around 6-8 knots, so the impellers are giving us plenty of kilowatts per day. Battery array is fully charged, we are taking hot showers and cooking 3 hot meals per.

Not enough solar yet to get any production from the solar stills, but the impellers run the water maker like a champ. Still, we'll need sunlight because we need to conserve the finite resource of water maker filters.

Wife caught a bonito yesterday while I was surfing near ********** (secret spot ethics die hard). She also checked on our little crops in the galley of basil, tomatoes and chard. Since we have lots of power, we're using grow lights in the storage room to add micro-acreage to our micro farm. Our plan is to grow some kale, and maybe later other things. Seeds are largely being saved for "arrival".

She was able to find some good dulse and arame, so we are reminded to look for fresh sea-veggies whenever we can.

We saw a father / son fishing team who don't seem to know the world has ended, but they were paddling their skiff, since it's engine wasn't working.

Some very big sails are walking up on us. Glad we got a jump on the Mainland Exodus. I can only imagine the chaos. Probably around now the grocery stores and gas stations are combat zones...gangs have probably realized that the cops can't communicate and the jails -- well I imagine they'll have to release all the criminals from all the prisons because there's no way to feed / shower / secure them without power...

calif 15-22
12-12-2012, 3:51 PM
Hypothetical Report from SF Bay Area:
It's been a week since the power went out. No TV no Radio no communication. My old truck still runs but the radio and lights do not seem to work. Took a drive to downtown to find the Safeway had been looted and police at the local Costco. Seems like hoards of people just wandering around with a dazed looks. Saw a fight at an abondened shell station as people were trying to syphon gas from underground tanks.

The rain is starting so I'm heading back home. The streets are empty except for the sounds coming from my Bronco's rusty muffler. Got home and checked the supplies. I'm down to 50 gallons of water and food for only another 3-4 weeks.

There it is again . . . the sounds of shots in the distance.

Dutch3
12-12-2012, 7:56 PM
Living in the sticks equates to some level of disconnect from the world. I actually attempted to go to work on day one. After the modern car failed to start, I cussed it and fired up the old GMC.

I avoid driving it except to haul stuff because it gets about 9 MPG and is about as pleasant to drive as wrangling a buckboard with a 4 mule team. On the way into town I noticed the power seemed to be out everywhere, which is not that unusual around here this time of year. Zero traffic on the road into town, which is also not unusual at 6 AM.

I arrived at work, and was surprised to find the front gate was not open. The early guy usually gets there about 15 minutes before I show up and opens the gates, disarms the alarm and rolls out the mailbox and recycle/trash cans. I figured he was running late, so used my key to open the gates and pulled in.

As I parked, I could hear the NG backup generator we installed last summer running. It keeps the servers, phone system, paging system, fire alarm, etc., running in the main office when the power goes out. Since I have a master key but no alarm code, I waited for the normal wakeup guy to show up.

After about 30 minutes, he had not arrived, so I pulled my employer-supplied cell phone out of my coat pocket, intending to call the M&O supervisor. It was dead, although it had been plugged into the charger all night. At that point, I got out of the truck and looked around. Although it was nearly daylight, it was obvious there was no power anywhere as far as I could see. It was completely dark and silent, except for the sound of the generator. A chill ran down my spine.

I decided to head home and try to determine what was going on. I did pull into the mini-mart a couple of blocks from work on the way home to see if I could top off on gas, but was met by a tribal cop who told me, "There is no gas, you need to leave". I asked him what was going on, but his only reply was, "You need to leave."

At that point, I was pretty freaked out and decided to just head home. I was thinking about all of the things I should have been prepared for beyond what I have already stocked up, but being unarmed in an old truck and not sure of what had happened, just made a beeline for home.

The 15 mile trip home was uneventful, except for a group of 5-6 people milling around an intersection about 10 miles down the road. As I approached, a couple of them walked out into the road as if to flag me down. I just pushed a little harder on the gas and they got out of the way.

When I got home, I told my wife about what I had seen and that I thought things had just gone south. I started the generator so we could run the fridge and freezer, pump some water and fill jugs. That has been the ritual for the past week. I have been trying to contact my employer, but the landline is dead and the one cell phone we have that still turns on is constantly showing "no signal".

I have thought about driving to my manager's house, but it is 15 miles away and the one time I tried, I found the road blocked with wrecked cars.

We have food for a couple of months and some water stored, but fuel for the generator is running low. We have a small PV/Inverter system, but the battery bank chose this moment in time to die completely. I would like to have another 50 gallons of gas and some new batteries right about now, but we are not dead yet.

Dubious_Beans
12-12-2012, 9:08 PM
It's been days now since I've received email from employer about product design changes and firmware updates and documentation and production schedules... There's certain things about this lifestyle that might be quite pleasant... if only....

Decoligny
12-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Living in the sticks equates to some level of disconnect from the world. I actually attempted to go to work on day one. After the modern car failed to start, I cussed it and fired up the old GMC.

I avoid driving it except to haul stuff because it gets about 9 MPG and is about as pleasant to drive as wrangling a buckboard with a 4 mule team. On the way into town I noticed the power seemed to be out everywhere, which is not that unusual around here this time of year. Zero traffic on the road into town, which is also not unusual at 6 AM.

I arrived at work, and was surprised to find the front gate was not open. The early guy usually gets there about 15 minutes before I show up and opens the gates, disarms the alarm and rolls out the mailbox and recycle/trash cans. I figured he was running late, so used my key to open the gates and pulled in.

As I parked, I could hear the NG backup generator we installed last summer running. It keeps the servers, phone system, paging system, fire alarm, etc., running in the main office when the power goes out. Since I have a master key but no alarm code, I waited for the normal wakeup guy to show up.

After about 30 minutes, he had not arrived, so I pulled my employer-supplied cell phone out of my coat pocket, intending to call the M&O supervisor. It was dead, although it had been plugged into the charger all night. At that point, I got out of the truck and looked around. Although it was nearly daylight, it was obvious there was no power anywhere as far as I could see. It was completely dark and silent, except for the sound of the generator. A chill ran down my spine.

I decided to head home and try to determine what was going on. I did pull into the mini-mart a couple of blocks from work on the way home to see if I could top off on gas, but was met by a tribal cop who told me, "There is no gas, you need to leave". I asked him what was going on, but his only reply was, "You need to leave."

At that point, I was pretty freaked out and decided to just head home. I was thinking about all of the things I should have been prepared for beyond what I have already stocked up, but being unarmed in an old truck and not sure of what had happened, just made a beeline for home.

The 15 mile trip home was uneventful, except for a group of 5-6 people milling around an intersection about 10 miles down the road. As I approached, a couple of them walked out into the road as if to flag me down. I just pushed a little harder on the gas and they got out of the way.

When I got home, I told my wife about what I had seen and that I thought things had just gone south. I started the generator so we could run the fridge and freezer, pump some water and fill jugs. That has been the ritual for the past week. I have been trying to contact my employer, but the landline is dead and the one cell phone we have that still turns on is constantly showing "no signal".

I have thought about driving to my manager's house, but it is 15 miles away and the one time I tried, I found the road blocked with wrecked cars.

We have food for a couple of months and some water stored, but fuel for the generator is running low. We have a small PV/Inverter system, but the battery bank chose this moment in time to die completely. I would like to have another 50 gallons of gas and some new batteries right about now, but we are not dead yet.

The totally fried electronic control circuits on the NG Generator would not allow the motor to come on.

There are also electronic control circuits in most of the motors used in household generators. Those would also be fried.

You would have to bypass any controls and hard wire your motor so it simply runs after you pull the cord, assuming you don't have an electric starter on the motor in which case you are screwed.

Your refrigerator and freezer will need a little wiring work around also. The thermostats are electronic on most newer models and those will be fried. You will need to bypass the thermostats and make it so they run constantly whenever plugged in. This of course will require you to "babysit" them to ensure that once they are cold enough you can shut off the generator, and when they warm up again you can restart the generator.

Your well pump controller will also be fried. Hopefully you are a good enough electrician to wire in a straight up "On/Off" switch to bypass the pressure activated control systems.

Gas should not be a problem as long as you have access to a syphon. There should be a whole lot of disabled vehicles unattended with full gas tanks.

Chaparral
12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
^ a Carrington event may or may not generate enough current to fry all semiconductors in all small appliances.

The ionized particles would travel down magnetic lines of flux and those are not uniform in their magnitude and location. I suspect that some areas would be severly affected while others may experience hardly any effects...kinda like tornado damage in the midwest.

If you could plot the current on a giant oscilloscope, the rise time of a solar flare induced current would be much slower than an Nuke induced EMP and a lot of things like lightning arrestors and surge protectors might just be able to take the hit so that downstream gear can survive. Those operating the grid may also power down sections here and there.

Additionally, electronic engineering really isn't rocket science and I just so happen to have a bunch of diodes, general purpose NPN and PNP transistors of various current and voltage ratings, voltage regulator ICs (7805, 7812 etc) as well as 555 timers, 74xxx logic chips and whatnot in storage bins. I doubt that those would be affected given their short (less than one inch) leads. Their current ratings are from 250mA to 2A and that's a lot to induce over 2cm of conductor length. Given this, I suspect quite a few things will be up and running in short order and that this scenario does not mean the permanent collapse of civilization. I'd lay odds on the .gov and .mil getting a surprising amount of infrastructure up and running surprisingly fast.

And no, you don't need software to do electronic engineering, you can do it like I do: on a napkin with a ballpoint pen.

Soooooooooo, Day 3 is it??

got on my bike and checked out a few more places for odds and ends...Hit the local Home Depot first...the employees had helped themselves to stuff. All the batteries were gone. I snagged some LiIons and chargers for the Makitas. I came back with the old pickup truck and liberated the vegetables and fruit trees from their garden section.

Checked a local Trak Auto next and found it all locked up. Wanted to drill my way in to get some car batteries but held off....It is morally uncomfortable for me to do this and I'd rather wait for someone else to smash a window. At least then I can justify my actions on the pretext that the place and its contents will likely burn to the ground so I might as well salvage what I can. As it is now, I cannot be sure that law and order will not be restored shortly. At least the dog food will save lives and the plants will die within the week if not watered by the employees so those items have been put to a higher use.

Nonetheless, given my close location, I'll be checking the car parts stores daily.

Scooted by the local 7-11s and minimarts to find broken windows and empty shelves. Didn't go any farther afield..I already know what I'll find. Place don't sound like a war zone yet but I do see plumes of smoke and hear scattered distant gunfire.

I also saw some military and Coast Guard choppers in the air. Saw some F 18s following the coast northwards at high subsonic. Choppers circled the port and oil refineries and storage depots in the Wilmington, San Pedro and Carso n areas...that I could see anyhow.

Neighborhood watch called a meeting this afternoon. It'll be time to play poker and keep my cards face down if y'all know what I mean.

Gonna check the radio after the sun goes down.

Librarian
12-13-2012, 2:00 PM
Survival of some non-hardened electronics - e.g. car radios - argues solar origin rather than EMP. But it's taken me 4 days to think of that!

And the electronic lock on my safe still works ...

Jake71
12-13-2012, 3:30 PM
Same thing I do every night Pinky.... Plot to take over the world!

Actually..

Load all the weapons in the house and stay put till daylight. Get more info.

wheels
12-13-2012, 3:47 PM
Survival of some non-hardened electronics - e.g. car radios - argues solar origin rather than EMP. But it's taken me 4 days to think of that!

And the electronic lock on my safe still works ...

You are a braver man than I, I got the old school dial :)

Dutch3
12-13-2012, 8:16 PM
The totally fried electronic control circuits on the NG Generator would not allow the motor to come on.

Possibly. The unit in question is less than a year old, but the transfer start seems to be pretty basic and not reliant on the controller. Other functions such as load shedding, exercise timer, etc., likely would be toast. Then again, since it is not powering anything related to my survival, it really isn't my problem.

There are also electronic control circuits in most of the motors used in household generators. Those would also be fried.

Your refrigerator and freezer will need a little wiring work around also. The thermostats are electronic on most newer models and those will be fried.

Your well pump controller will also be fried. Hopefully you are a good enough electrician to wire in a straight up "On/Off" switch to bypass the pressure activated control systems.

I don't have newer models in anything of this nature depending on electronic controls. I didn't plan it that way, but that's how it is.

Home generator is a cheaper pull-start unit. No electronic features. Output is hardwired via switches and some circuit breakers.

Fridge and freezer utilize mechanical thermostats. Not even an icemaker. Fridge is 19 years old, freezer is about 10. Both low-end, lacking any bells and whistles.

Well pump controller consists of a heavy diode logic bridge and a couple of capacitors. Circa 1985. Not likely to get zapped, but easily bypassed if necessary.

Librarian
12-13-2012, 10:54 PM
You are a braver man than I, I got the old school dial :)

[meta: it's less a matter of bravery than necessity - old eyes and not very good fine motor control mean I basically can't open a dial safe in less than a few minutes. Takes several tries.]

Uxi
12-14-2012, 9:45 AM
I wanted to get a dial but it was more expensive. I've contemplated how the hell I would get a safe open in an electronic attack. In another thread, most semeed to indicate it would probably be ok. I've considered building a little faraday cage style thing around the lock or maybe the room it's in which would be ideal for storage of other emergency electronics.

speedrrracer
12-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Hypothetical Report, Day 4, Isla Benito del Este, Baja California, Mexico:

Brother-in-law was a no-show. Not unexpected: his was a fiberglass power boat, so probably not well-shielded enough. My wife is seriously worried, but she knows her brother is a far more dedicated prepper than anyone else we've ever met, and extremely capable. He also has a very nice BOL along the North Umpqua River in Oregon, so he may simply have headed there for convenience or preference.

Still, thoughts of our families, and the increasingly nightmarish conditions they must be facing, will sometimes just drop into our minds, and near-panic momentarily sets in. Our prayers are with them.

Pleasantly surprised to have some weather come down from the North. Pleasant because we've been making over 100 miles a day running with the winds that came up, and surprised because we still have no contact with any weather or GPS satellite.

If this calamity does end up with us sailing all the way to Melanesia or beyond, the silver lining might be that it happened this time of year -- large storms in the South Pacific are extremely rare during the American Winter months, so we're hopeful we won't get blindsided by a typhoon.

We chose to run to the East of the Islas San Benito, because
1) We don't want any troubles with the one nearby inhabited island (Cedros Island)
2) The fishing rocks over here (wife caught a Calico Bass, aka Kelp Bass)
3) We're still close enough to see the lighthouse on the western-most island in this group -- not working.

The next leg in our route was a tough choice. In the end, we want to avoid most of Mexico, even though it would be a great spot to pick up some fresh veggies. We're just too afraid of pirates / crazed people fleeing the destruction of civilization / etc. So we're heading for Clarion Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarion_Island). It's another uninhabited rock, but it has a nice little sheltered bay where we can rest, there are feral pigs and sheep if we decide to break out the stainless Tikka T3, and the kelp is almost as good as it is here, so sea-veggies and fishing a-plenty.

Our problem will be not sailing right by it. Without GPS we really have to stay on top of our charts and course -- this will be a very tiring trip...

REDPATCHUSMC
12-14-2012, 1:27 PM
Reading these posts is informative and entertaining, to say the least.

I have learned several things:
Make sure I can get into the safe if the power goes out ( ie: battery for elect lock )
Store more water. Always have said " I should...." If I don't have enough water on hand I will go to my work and get the water jugs for out cooler. Maybe 20-30 gallons but better than nuthin!
Get more ammo. I may not be able stockpile .223 ammo for financial reasons, but I can .22 ammo!
Make sure I have enough non battery powered flash lights or lanterns. Wind ups or shak'ems
Stock pile more MRE's or canned foods. Who says you can't live on peanut butter and cranberry sauce? ok - cheese- it's too!
Have extra propane or additional heating source on hand.
Have a plan the whole family knows about! Teenagers need to know where to go, and what will happen when they get there. My little guy will be with me attached at the hip to me or mom, so that's an easy one! We know where we ultimately want to go, Idaho. Depending on time of year and method of transpo, (vehicle or horse) will depend on when we leave.

Ultimately, the first 48 hours we will BUG IN. When we have a lay of the land enough supplies and a clear exit strategy, we will head out.

Until them, I will post my step-daughter on the front lawn. With her metal music and nasty attitude, she will drive any unwanted characters away!

bukuinc
12-17-2012, 8:04 PM
1st things 1st, I look at my wife and say "I TOLD YOU!!!"

Then I wrangle in the kids and let them know what's going on and that there is nothing we can do about it at the moment.
I grab my PPKs, pop the mag, chamber a round, grab my 2nd mag.
Check the car (chances are that since the electronics in the house are fried, the car is dead too, but just in case).
Head outside, check with the neighbors, make sure everyone is as OK as they can be.
Have a conversation with about keeping the neighborhood safe over night and talk about some quick emergency action plans. (My neighbors, though I haven't spoken with them regarding these issues, I think are preppers.)
Head back home, throw on my tac vest (MOLLE, fixed blade, extra ammo, etc., etc.,) hunker down till the morning.

Hahahahaaha! Best answer!

Onetyme
12-21-2012, 8:04 PM
Crack the safe, load everything. Board up the front windows from the inside. Board up the basement door leading outside. Fill the water bob as much as I can. I have a few items (GPS, night vision, radio, batteries, etc) in an unplugged microwave with reflecting metal tape rapped around it. Hopefully that works. I would stay up for a few hours just to listen to what's going on around me.

TheChief
11-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Ping

saaaaaamm
11-06-2013, 10:50 AM
http://www.nerc.com/pa/CI/CIPOutreach/Pages/GridEX.aspx

socom2shooter
11-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Stay put, load everything. No reason to leave were i am

kbenson
11-06-2013, 3:42 PM
You guys talking about checking stores, is IMHO a mistake. Even if the store is 5 minutes away, a lot can happen while your loading your cart and trying to bring your haul home.

1 or more less people to defend the family is never good.

So if you think you need to go shopping the day of a "scenario" you may want to rethink about what you have on hand.

VegasND
11-06-2013, 7:21 PM
It's been 11 months since this thread was started.

It will be interesting if anybody posts up about things they'd do differently than they posted previously.

Me, I'd still keep watch on what's happening outside and wait to see what unfolds before making decisions