PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Hunting near San Fernando Valley or Thousand Oaks

CardShark
12-08-2012, 9:03 PM
After blanking at the Carrizo Plains hunt/meet last week, I'd like to redeem myself with some rabbit hunting. I plan to eat whatever I shoot so nothing will be wasted.

I live in the SFV and work in Thousand Oaks so anywhere within a hour of either place, if possible, would be great.

I'm definitely not asking for anyone's secret spots. I have no problem hiking/scouting on my own but if someone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

KWalkerM
12-09-2012, 2:00 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=648974

read this thread and the links i posted.

olhunter
12-09-2012, 10:30 AM
The mountain range north of the 210 and east of the 5 is all Angeles NF all the way to the 15..

North of the 126 and west of the 5 is Los Padres NF.

North of Castaic and east of the 5 is also ANF.

All legal to hunt rabbits, but shotgun only in LA County. LPNF is Ventura County so no restriction there.

Get some NF maps, find your way in there and hunt. The rabbits are everywhere.

You may encounter locked NF gates for no reason so you may want to come out the way you went in unless you carry extra gas.

CardShark
12-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks to both of you....that was a big help

CardShark
12-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Do I have to watch out for areas within the National Forest that are illegal to hunt or is hunting allowed anywhere within the boundaries?

The mountain range north of the 210 and east of the 5 is all Angeles NF all the way to the 15..

All legal to hunt rabbits, but shotgun only in LA County. LPNF is Ventura County so no restriction there.

You may encounter locked NF gates for no reason so you may want to come out the way you went in unless you carry extra gas.

Abesnake
12-10-2012, 2:47 AM
There are lots of areas near L. A. for rabbits and other small animals as has been said. However, if you are going to eat rabbits you have to know the season. There are times of the year when they are not safe to eat, because of virus or something else. I'm not sure what it is. I don't hunt rabbits, but I'm sure someone who reads this can clarify it for you. It may also be that they have to be cooked a specific way. I don't know. Check it out before you just eat one. They do make great stew though.:D Go have fun, but don't worry about redeeming yourself. Most of the time, like everyone else, you will come home with no harvest. That's normal for hunting. So, just enjoy the commune with nature, learn what you can, make friends... Hunting is not a contest. Also, I have already spoken with CSA and we are planning another hunt for Carrizo, hopefully in Jan. Lots of us didn't even show up, including me. We thought the rain would be worse than it was and anyway no one came with a yote caller. We are hoping to do something before the fowl season is over. So, there is more coming, but local varmints are a good way to start. Go for it!

mzhunter
12-10-2012, 6:55 AM
I've hunting them from july on and never got sick just make sure you cook them threw.the worms do not effect the meat.if you are really worried about it check the liver when cleaning if it is spotted then dont eat it other then that chow down.

devilinblack
12-10-2012, 11:17 AM
A lot of the old timers say not to eat rabbit before the first frost or some such. The fact is that if it's healthy and the liver looks okay go ahead and shoot it and eat it as long as they're in season.

CardShark
12-10-2012, 6:00 PM
There are lots of areas near L. A. for rabbits and other small animals as has been said. However, if you are going to eat rabbits you have to know the season. There are times of the year when they are not safe to eat, because of virus or something else. I'm not sure what it is. I don't hunt rabbits, but I'm sure someone who reads this can clarify it for you. It may also be that they have to be cooked a specific way. I don't know. Check it out before you just eat one. They do make great stew though.:D

The disease I think you are talking about is Tularemia. Most of the danger in getting infected seems to lie in when you are actually dressing/gutting the rabbits which can for the most part be eliminated by wearing a good pair of rubber/latex gloves. The other precaution is making sure the rabbit meat is thoroughly cooked.

Here is some good info:
http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/rabbit-hunting/tularemia-rabbit-fever

The rule of thumb about not eating rabbits till after the first frost seems to lie in the idea that sick rabbits can't survive into winter....not sure how true that is in more temperate areas

CardShark
12-10-2012, 6:11 PM
Go have fun, but don't worry about redeeming yourself. Most of the time, like everyone else, you will come home with no harvest. That's normal for hunting. So, just enjoy the commune with nature, learn what you can, make friends... Hunting is not a contest. Also, I have already spoken with CSA and we are planning another hunt for Carrizo, hopefully in Jan. Lots of us didn't even show up, including me. We thought the rain would be worse than it was and anyway no one came with a yote caller. We are hoping to do something before the fowl season is over. So, there is more coming, but local varmints are a good way to start. Go for it!

I had a great time at Carrizo even though the shooting opportunities weren't there.....I couldn't agree with you more that the actual shooting part is only a small piece of what makes hunting great

olhunter
12-11-2012, 1:59 PM
Do I have to watch out for areas within the National Forest that are illegal to hunt or is hunting allowed anywhere within the boundaries?

Pretty much anywhere unless it states otherwise. All hunting laws apply such as shooting near occupied structures, etc.

Check the "Alerts and Notices' for closures and conditions -

http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/angeles/alerts-notices
http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/lpnf/alerts-notices

Big fines for even entering the closed areas.

And there are areas of private property within the NF boundaries. Those should be on the maps. Steer clear of those too. Stay away from campgrounds and other popular touristy areas and you should be good.

Those two NF's cover a pretty big area. There's plenty of space off the beaten path to keep you busy for 10 lifetimes.

CardShark
01-25-2013, 5:48 PM

I want to hunt rabbits in the LPNF west of the 5 Freeway. Can someone give me a heads up on the best place to exit? Any ranger stations in the area that I can stop at?

I plan on doing a lot of "hiking with a gun" but some advice on the general area to start would be greatly appreciated.