PDA

View Full Version : AR bolt action pistol barrels.

AJAX22
08-06-2007, 6:30 PM
Update: New batch of 3 available same price, same terms. all are over 6 inches (measured to the boltface) and are perfect for bolt action pistol upper builds.

First come, First serve.

lengths are:

#1 6-1/4
#2 6-7/8
#3 7-12

Barrels all have target crown.

Hi guys, I'm listing these for a friend (but will be responsible for seeing that they get shipped out)

These started out life as Military government profile barrels and were turned down to make bolt action pistol barrels. They are chrome lined.

you can make your own AR lower receiver and configure it as a pistol with these.

These are NOT for people to put on AR rifles as it would become an NFA short barreled rifle, which is a huge NO-NO in CA.

I would reccommend not even storing these at the same house as your AR rifle untill you have an AR pistol lower to put them on. (avoid federal constructive posession charges)

I couldn't find anyone making them so I had a buddy with a machine shop whip them up. I got a good price so I'm passing it along to you guys.

these are 55$ each shipped to anywhere in the US (I reccomend sending them to somewhere other than where you keep your AR15, at least untill you get the pistol lower)

Now the specifics, these are all one-off hand made creations, barrel length is varried and all have an 11 degree (I believe) target crown.

If there is significant interest I will have him make up a bunch more.

Barrel 1: 6.55 inches long measured from breachface SOLD
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/DCP_0059-2.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/DCP_0060-3.jpg
Barrel 2: (is not threaded, it is however turned down so that it can be threaded later) 6.8 inches long measured from breachface
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/DCP_0062.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/DCP_0064.jpg
Barrel 3: 6.2 inches long measured from breachface AVAILABLE, LAST ONE is back on the market *SPF Cali-V"
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/DCP_0066.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/DCP_0067.jpg

I just want to help other calgunners take advantage of the loophole that allows us to make our own AR pistol lowers

this is as cheap as I can sell these and not loose money so no quantity discounts.

THESE ARE NOT STORED AT MY HOUSE OR ANYWHERE NEAR AN AR15 (the photo's were taken when my friend brought them over)

keep the peace.

EBWhite
08-06-2007, 10:47 PM
how long are these?

AJAX22
08-07-2007, 6:42 AM
It varries, #3 is slightly over six inches, #2 is slightly under seven inches, and #1 is almost exactly 6.5 inches.

they were turned by hand, and I didn't specify a particular length so they have some variation.

FEDUPWBS
08-07-2007, 11:13 AM
What are the laws concerning OLL pistols ie fixed mag or bolt action configuration. Have ak reciever dros ed and marked "pistol" and would like to do ar as well. Any help would spread the disease!! Thanks:43:

AJAX22
08-07-2007, 11:34 AM
*edited to remove incorect info*

you need to make your own lower from an 80%

It's a bit of a hassle, but its a dandy loophole.

AJAX22
08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Still got these (much to my surprise)

It'd cost you well over 120$ to have one made yourself,

aplinker
08-09-2007, 4:07 AM
I'll definitely take one next week (if you have any left). I'm shocked they're still around, too.

Calguns2000
08-09-2007, 12:20 PM
a bolt action pistol is exempt from drop safety testing requirements.Not trolling, but are you sure about that? Trutanich Michel, LLP has a summary of the exemptions on their website:

http://www.calgunlaws.com/modules.php?name=NukeNews&file=article&sid=133

AJAX22
08-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Not trolling, but are you sure about that? Trutanich Michel, LLP has a summary of the exemptions on their website:

http://www.calgunlaws.com/modules.php?name=NukeNews&file=article&sid=133

I will double check

You are correct, I was reading the statute incorrectly (thank you!)

So I guess these are only for use on homebuilt receivers. I'll go back and edit the add accordingly.

If you want a factory pistol lower, you'll have to get a law enforcement buddy to buy one and PPT it to you.

Golden-Bear
08-09-2007, 1:49 PM
Were these torch-cut demilled BBL's that were turned down... is that why the lengths vary?

AJAX22
08-09-2007, 2:12 PM
Are these torch-cut demilled BBL's... is that why the lengths vary?

Yes they were torch cut barrels, but the lengths were varried simply because they were turned by hand. I didn't give the machinist any specs as to what length I wanted.

they were cut well short of the heat affected zone and what remains is still properly heat treated.

AJAX22
08-10-2007, 4:38 PM
Alrighty.... my previous post were I stated that I had misread the statute was in error.

Turns out there IS an exemption for single shot pistols :D (I was reading the edited down version not the full text of the law, hey it was a long day and I really didn't want to be selling calgunners parts they couldn't use)

So the official word is: you CAN have an AR pistol lower imported into this state providing it is configured as a single shot gun

here is the relevent section of the law:

(a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications:

(1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7-1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.
(3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7-1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code.

(b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

OOOOOO Yeah, feel the love :D AR pistols for everyone

AJAX22
08-11-2007, 4:44 PM
Just a little nudge back to the top.

duenor
08-11-2007, 5:55 PM
if you can share with me the anme of someone who is willing to build one for me, i'd buy one in a jiffy. i'm sure a lot of others would too.

the question is this - is a manually operated ar pistol considered a single shot? ie, 20 round grandfathered magazine in the well, and each time i fire a shot i need to yank the charging handle and then release?

kev

AJAX22
08-11-2007, 6:30 PM
I'm currently working on aranging an FFL out of state who is willing to assemble and ship AR15 bolt action pistols, (I'll keep you all posted as to progress)

The manually operated AR is not considered a single shot if you have any magazine installed in the gun (or an open magell (it would be a bolt action multi shot)

To make it a single shot I would reccommend using a Jimmy plug and a maglock (bullet button, prince 50, SAS etc)

http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/100002647.jpg

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=23087

once its DROS'd to you you can replace the jimmy plug with whatever magazine you want (providing it stays bolt action) and you can take the magazine lock off of the pistol.

If you want to make it semi auto however you need to remember to keep the magazine as a pinned in 10 rounder.

Personally I will be building one of mine as a .22LR semi auto pinned mag gun, and another as a .223 bolt action long range target pistol (with a beta C mag just cause its nifty and works as a pistol rest)

Once we get everything lined up (FFL's in state who are ok with doing the transfer, FFL's and gunsmiths out of state who can build them up for us etc.) This process will get alot simpler.

Someone's got to lead the way, and I've been having dreams about owning an OA93 for a decade or more now. I think the time has come :D

duenor
08-11-2007, 6:49 PM
thank you ajax.

my goal is a .223 botl action long range target pistol as well.
If I'm guessing correctly, all you would need besides a complete lower would be an upper receiver and <strike>stock</strike>/buffer/springs.

i am also assuming tha tyou will need to weld the gas port on the upper receiver shut.

AJAX22
08-11-2007, 7:10 PM
You would need an upper receiver and barrel nut as well as a pistol buffer assembly (buffer/spring/tube/foam/spring retaning plate)

Make absolutly certain that you do NOT put a stock on the lower (while a pistol upper is attached) as you would have created an SBR which is a bigtime no-no.

There is no requirement to weld the gas tube hole in the upper receiver, and the barrels have no gas port in them.

My first build is going to be a flat top upper with an ace pistol buffer assembly along with a long eye relief scope.

I plan on leaving the barrel bare with no free float handguard so that if I later want to convert it to a drop in .22LR I don't run into accidental Assult Weapon characteristics (barrel shroud.... detachable magazine outside pistolgrip... threaded barrel etc)

Cali-V
08-11-2007, 7:13 PM
thank you ajax.

my goal is a .223 botl action long range target pistol as well.
If I'm guessing correctly, all you would need besides a complete lower would be an upper receiver and stock/buffer/springs.

i am also assuming tha tyou will need to weld the gas port on the upper receiver shut.

Stock + Psitola = Bad Combination
No... Never... No... Never... NO... NO... Bad... Very Bad
Stock+ Psitola=SBR=Vacation @ a Fed Resort Facility not of your choosing

AJAX22
08-13-2007, 3:16 PM
Yep, don't put a stock on a pistol, its bad mojo.

all still for sale...

duenor
08-13-2007, 10:48 PM
oops, didn't mean stock as in shoulder stock.
i mean the buffer tube assembly - you know, the thing that the buffer spring goes into.

no, no... putting a stock or a forward pistol grip on a pistol is a VERY bad thing.

do not do either of those things. i see a lot of guys putting VPGs on glock rails... very bad thing to do.

AJAX22
08-21-2007, 2:58 PM
UPDATE: I found an FFL who will transfer bolt action single shot AR15 pistols in SO-Cal, and another out of state that will build them for us.

Two barrels still available for now.

I'll get the machinist working on a few more soon but I can't say for certain when they will be available.

Please keep this thread seperate from my other sales thread since it is for specific AR15 pistol project items.

Thanks.

AJAX22
08-22-2007, 6:13 PM
One Barrel left

AJAX22
08-24-2007, 3:45 PM
btt

AJAX22
08-26-2007, 3:49 PM
still one left

duenor
08-26-2007, 8:20 PM
What's the total to build an ar single shot pistol at your FFL?
if its something thats way up there for the PS90 folks, I havenj't got the dough to play. if it's under 800 i can.

AJAX22
08-27-2007, 5:43 AM
I don't have a final total yet, but its not looking like its too bad. Its basicly the same as building an AR rifle except the upper is much cheaper and it requires an Ace pistol buffer.

upper receiver 100$
bolt carrier group 120$
barrel 55$
pistol buffertube assembly 60$
complete pistol lower assembly apx 200$

then your only other expenses are transfer and assembly fees. its nice because you can space the fees out over a period of time.

Edit *All Barrels are SPF*

AJAX22
10-17-2007, 12:11 PM
I had a buyer drop off the face of the earth, so the LAST barrel, #3 is back on the market.

There is a possibility that future batches will go through a distributor so if you've been wanting one at the 55$ shipped price you better get it now.

(Mods: I know this is a seperate thread from my other parts, but I'd like to keep it seperate because of the issues addressed with single shot pistol builds, thanks)

XOne
10-17-2007, 4:47 PM
Will you make another thread once you find an out of state FFL willing to build/ sell single shot Ar-15 pistols?

AJAX22
10-17-2007, 5:30 PM
I've already found one, my pistol is currently being assembled out of state and being shipped to a local FFL. It's taken a while but you know the expression "Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two" I alway go with good and cheap over fast ;)

I'd post the names of the parties involved but I would need to ask their permission first.

PM me if you'd like to know.

AJAX22
10-17-2007, 6:43 PM
All SPF

AJAX22
11-08-2007, 9:37 AM
Update: New batch of three available.

First come first serve.

AJAX22
11-10-2007, 6:27 PM
I just got a PM, one of the guys who bought a barrel from the first batch just successfully compleated a DROS on an AR15 OLL pistol in the state of CA..

Its not just theory, its been done!!

now we just need to convince him to post pics ;) I'm not going to steal his thunder on this one, so I'll wait for him to get it all tricked out before he does a formal anouncement.

I need to make a phonecall about my pistol lower... light a fire under people... I'm a little jealous that I was beaten to having the first one... cest la vie...

AJAX22
11-12-2007, 6:13 AM
Bump... If you're waiting for these to get cheaper you'll be waiting a LONG time... these are sold basicly at cost of manufacture + gas to pick them up.

AJAX22
11-13-2007, 4:44 PM
bump.. still have three available.

AJAX22
11-19-2007, 7:48 PM
Bump

AJAX22
11-20-2007, 4:27 PM
bump

sloguy
11-20-2007, 4:45 PM
when do we get to see pics of the completed pistol?

AJAX22
11-23-2007, 7:41 PM
when do we get to see pics of the completed pistol?

When I finally get it from the out of state FFL who is assembling it.

I need to call them and hassle them a bit more, I've just been buisy with school.

Bump.

AJAX22
11-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Bump...

Price is 55$ each shipped same as its always been

AJAX22
12-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Last bump, then I'm listing these on AR15.com, I'd prefer to sell them to Calgunners but I'm out of pocket alot of money on these things and I don't want to have to hang onto them.

AJAX22
12-05-2007, 6:35 AM
One Barrel Sold, Two left

AJAX22
12-06-2007, 8:00 PM
All barrels SPF, (lasted all of 4 min on ar15.com)