PDA

View Full Version : SD BLM Land is Officially Open Today Until July!

EpitomeofChaos
12-08-2012, 2:06 PM
Spoke with BLM Officer Funk and he could not stress the importance of cleaning(especially clays) and NOT shooting the trees. Stay safe and lets not give them a reason to close out the land for good.

echo6cavedog
12-08-2012, 4:27 PM
That's GREAT news!!

therealnickb
12-08-2012, 4:30 PM
Aren't the biodegradable clays just dirt?

BucDan
12-08-2012, 4:52 PM
The BLM land that was closed earlier is now open again?

As for the biodegradable clays, they still take years to degrade until it's no longer visible.

BenHa
12-08-2012, 4:54 PM
Yes time to ofically shoot my mosin

EpitomeofChaos
12-08-2012, 5:09 PM
According to the officer we dont get enough rain to degrade the clays and it takes years for just the color to wash away.

Phil271
12-08-2012, 7:50 PM
Could someone please PM me a couple of places to go shoot? I've heard of del zura and campo... never been to either places yet. Are there other places closer to SD?

I'm tired of shooting my rifles in the 25 yards indoor ranges...

Thanks much in advanced!

Phil.

akuma23
12-08-2012, 8:18 PM
I'd love to know where to go as well :) maybe meet up with a couple of you guys?

krisjon
12-08-2012, 8:30 PM
Let's round up a SD group soon and hit it.

jtyner
12-08-2012, 8:53 PM
+1. I'd like to find a good outdoor spot.

LD1988
12-09-2012, 2:02 PM
Awesome news! Keep eyes out for an official announcement of such.

rmatt
12-09-2012, 5:48 PM
Good news!

whipkiller
12-10-2012, 1:09 PM
Awesome news! Keep eyes out for an official announcement of such.

Awesome news indeed!

Let's do our best to keep these places open, I enjoy shooting outdoors sooooo much more than the indoor range.

mr2thomas
12-10-2012, 2:04 PM
Seriously though. Like everyone said, where can I shoot my rifle in San Diego?! Directions/Location!!!!

hoss_hk
12-10-2012, 9:24 PM
Some discretion is advised for you newbies. This site is searcheable on the internet and people that trash shooting locations obviously don't take responsibility for it. Here is a thread on finding suitable locations. Lets prevent more areas being lost/closed.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=544860

mr2thomas
12-12-2012, 2:21 PM
Thank you, and much appreciated.

Phil271
12-12-2012, 8:29 PM
+1. Thanks for that link.

zhyla
12-13-2012, 3:35 AM
How is this possible if calfire hasn't ended fire season in this county?

I knew as soon as I got a SBRG membership this would happen.

Frumious Bandersnatch
12-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Finally!

It's odd that http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_seasondeclarations?year=2012 still doesn't show SD fire season as being over. But I noticed that the 11/19 mass update for the rest of SoCal didn't go live on the website until a few days later. Perhaps we're in that period?

I do notice that the Palm Springs BLM Field Office webpage no longer links to the closure order PDF, so I'm willing to believe we're back in business.

eightmd
12-13-2012, 3:27 PM
I would love to find a good place to shoot on BLM land near north county. A friend and I drove around out by Pala but we weren't too sure of the area. I've read the threads and we intend to keep looking but if anyone is willing to pm me some suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

I would also be up for some kind of shoot some time.

scLowe
12-13-2012, 8:50 PM
I would love to find a good place to shoot on BLM land near north county. A friend and I drove around out by Pala but we weren't too sure of the area. I've read the threads and we intend to keep looking but if anyone is willing to pm me some suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

I would also be up for some kind of shoot some time.

I'm with you! I'm going to check some of the Pala area BLM spots from the map (thank god I'm not driving a Mustang anymore) when I have a free weekend, but if someone knows of a decent site between, say, Rancho Bernardo to Oceanside to Temecula, I'd *really* appreciate a PM'd heads up.

I'd be discrete and respectful :oji:

eightmd
12-14-2012, 8:49 AM
I'm with you! I'm going to check some of the Pala area BLM spots from the map (thank god I'm not driving a Mustang anymore) when I have a free weekend, but if someone knows of a decent site between, say, Rancho Bernardo to Oceanside to Temecula, I'd *really* appreciate a PM'd heads up.

I'd be discrete and respectful :oji:

If and when we do find a spot maybe we could get a few people together for a shoot. I like shooting at a range but I also like shooting on open land.

therealnickb
12-14-2012, 9:24 AM
I don't think Rainbow is very expensive. It's in that area and pretty "outdoorsy" for a private range.

LD1988
12-15-2012, 8:41 PM
Its not CalFire in charge of determining closures on BLM land. Its the BLM themselves. So CalFires fire season will not always coincide with BLM's. And I believe the area was closed due to offroad activity and littering, not just fire danger.

PositiveRate
12-15-2012, 9:41 PM
Can someone actually explain to me what BLM land exactly is? Sorry new to this whole thing. I'm assuming it's somewhere you can go plinking at the very least lol

invisiblebattery
12-15-2012, 9:50 PM
Can someone actually explain to me what BLM land exactly is? Sorry new to this whole thing. I'm assuming it's somewhere you can go plinking at the very least lol

In regards to us, BLM land is basically public land where we can shoot.

PS- Count me in for the group shoot :D

hoss_hk
12-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Here is a thread on BLM land. Make it work or make it closed. Your discretion.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=544860

invisiblebattery
12-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Here is a thread on BLM land. Make it work or make it closed. Your discretion.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=544860

Is it just me or is the link broken?

jrobba
12-18-2012, 5:14 PM
I'm looking into getting a group together to meet on either the 5th or 6th of January out there. Let me know if you'd like to join us!

BenHa
12-18-2012, 5:16 PM
LInk is down. But I can make it on the 5, 6th :D

HKchucksta
12-19-2012, 7:55 AM
Count me in for the 5th or 6th as well!

echo6cavedog
12-19-2012, 8:32 AM
Is it just me or is the link broken?

LInk is down. But I can make it on the 5, 6th :D

Use this link:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=544860

jrobba
12-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Looks like my wife and I will be heading out there the morning of Sunday the 6th. Probably around 7:30am. See you guys there!

FamilyofShooters
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
A word to you all from one the old guy members who have been shooting at these spots for years...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring some heavy duty trash bags with you and even a rake or two to keep these spots looking better than you found it. Just me 2 cents worth.

jrobba
12-19-2012, 3:11 PM
A word to you all from one the old guy members who have been shooting at these spots for years...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring some heavy duty trash bags with you and even a rake or two to keep these spots looking better than you found it. Just me 2 cents worth.

Will do! Whenever we go out there we always make sure to leave it cleaner than when we arrived.

BOATS N HOES
12-20-2012, 5:46 PM
Ol' J Funk....
not too fond of target shooters, that guy.

Spoilerv2
12-21-2012, 8:25 PM
Finally some good news

baja dan
12-23-2012, 6:25 AM
hey fellas just wondering if any one would be up to going out to marron valley rd this weekend im going to roll out tomorrow morning and check it out first time going out there??????

HKchucksta
12-23-2012, 9:09 AM
I was just out there yesterday, definitely several good spots to shoot.

A couple things:
1. There's rain forecast tomorrow
2. the dirt is lumpy, makes it hard to pick up after yourself (but please do)
3. The road leading there is very bumpy/rocky, so an SUV or truck is best. It's do-able with a sedan, but I would just feel very bad for the car

HKchucksta
12-23-2012, 9:09 AM
I was just out there yesterday, definitely several good spots to shoot.

A couple things:
1. There's rain forecast tomorrow
2. the dirt is lumpy, makes it hard to pick up after yourself (but please do)
3. The road leading there is very bumpy/rocky, so an SUV or truck is best. It's do-able with a sedan, but I would just feel very bad for the car

baja dan
12-23-2012, 4:41 PM
just got back decided to go today because of the weather tomorrow, what an awesome spot i will deffinately be going back out there we picked up our brass and some shotgun shells we ended up on some rutted out road deffinately need the 4x4 i had my landcruiser had no issues well worth it cant wait to go back

BajaJames83
12-23-2012, 4:49 PM
If anyone knows of a good spot with 100+ in north county please pm me.
I'm already a member at rainbow, but I'd like to shoot over 100+

DR296
01-06-2013, 7:15 PM
Okay guys. For those of us using the area of M. Valley Rd. I was out there today. I know some of us and our Ranger did alot of clean up out there. I has just recently re-opened and already getting trashed. Today I picked up a bunch of loose brass before I even started shooting. Leaving your paper targets behind is the same as littering. If we dont Police ourselves we are gonna lose it. Not sure what the deal is with the flourescent spray paint is either

CessnaDriver
01-06-2013, 7:35 PM
Was there recently and there was others peoples garbage we couldn't haul out since our vehicle was maxed out just bringing our regular shooting stuff. Next time I'll be bringing a truck so that won't be an issue.

A cheap tarp would go a long way to catching all your brass easily.

I think a few big warning signs would be helpful......

Clean up or it get's shut down!

Would the BLM guys flip if some signs were made up?

DR296
01-06-2013, 8:25 PM
Signs would be considered littering and would become targets for the irresponsible people leaving their trash.
By the way has anyone Actually hunted that area? Seems to me there is a lot of sign and critter trails.
Any sign of Hogs out there?

Xtracrispy
01-07-2013, 7:29 AM
I'm heading out there today with a couple friends. Hoping I can fit some trash bags on my way out(I have an SUV) or one of my friends brings his pickup so we can haul some trash out.

We always pick up some trash before we start shooting, then all our junk when we leave. Would be nice to not have to clean up after others :mad:

HKchucksta
01-07-2013, 9:14 AM
I've been out there a few times this season. There's a couple spots that are frequented more, and those tend to have more trash. I've been going to less populated spots and always pick up after myself. I only have a sedan, so it's hard to carry the larger pieces of trash away that are already there (e.g. wooden pallets.)

sdfire
01-07-2013, 4:33 PM
I should be heading out there in the next couple of weeks. Me and a friend will be bringing our trucks and hauling out some trash if we find any. We usually go on a Monday. If anybody wants to do a meet and greet Of San Diego shooters in the next week or so during the week, I am always interested in meeting other responsible cal gunners . Last Tim we met up at a coffee shop in mission valley.

morrow
01-07-2013, 5:32 PM
Does anyone want to share a spot with me via PM? I am single and I am new to SD...I live in downtown. I won't tell anyone about the spot and I ALWAYS clean up...especially since I reload!!! I only have a car so I can't do 4wd stuff. Are there ANY spots accessible for that? Say within an hour or less of downtown San Diego?
PM me please! I'm desperate!!!

Code
01-08-2013, 3:19 PM
Does anyone want to share a spot with me via PM? I am single and I am new to SD...I live in downtown. I won't tell anyone about the spot and I ALWAYS clean up...especially since I reload!!! I only have a car so I can't do 4wd stuff. Are there ANY spots accessible for that? Say within an hour or less of downtown San Diego?
PM me please! I'm desperate!!!

Ditto! I used to frequent jacumba and participate in the clean-ups out there. If someone wants to share the location with me via PM I will be more than happy to bring my truck and trailer out to the location and clean up whatever I can find after we shoot. WE NEED THESE AREAS TO STAY OPEN!

shooter5
01-08-2013, 6:56 PM
It never ceases to amaze how lazy people are.. When you find a good spot the last thing you want to see is peoples trash all over the place.. Precisely why i never post my spots..

Just on principle alone its soo disrespectful and juvenile to leave trash out there for someone else to clean up..

I'm hardly some Enviro-Nazi.. But it seriously pi$$es me off.

Not to mention, love it when I post up and BP stop by and see a big mess you didn't even make.. You are going to look like the jack***** either way if you don't clean it up..

Only takes a few derelicts to screw it up for everyone..

BVaughn
01-09-2013, 9:39 AM
Hello , can someonw PM officer Funks contact. The contact I had for him no logner works. Appreciated!

specOPS
01-13-2013, 2:01 PM
I hate when people trash our blm areas and wonder why they get shut down. I'm willing to help do a clean up and throw a few rounds down too if anyone is planning on heading out this week.

sdfire
01-19-2013, 6:19 PM
I think I will be going out there this coming Wednesday (1/23) morning. I will be bringing my truck and some trash bags. If anybody else is going then, send me a PM and maybe we could could meet up nearby.

DeCloaK
01-19-2013, 6:28 PM
Any of this BLM land near North County SD?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Flipdude
01-19-2013, 8:21 PM
I'm down for some shooting if we can get a group together. I'll bring the trash bags and buckets for brass.

ntrddragn
01-21-2013, 10:08 AM
I should be heading out there in the next couple of weeks. Me and a friend will be bringing our trucks and hauling out some trash if we find any. We usually go on a Monday. If anybody wants to do a meet and greet Of San Diego shooters in the next week or so during the week, I am always interested in meeting other responsible cal gunners . Last Tim we met up at a coffee shop in mission valley.

I saw that thread while using my phone tapatalk app but cant find it now when im on the computer. =/ can you link that thread? Thanks