PDA

View Full Version : How many rounds should I bring for Dove?

Flux Capacitor
08-06-2007, 10:44 AM
About how many round of shotgun ammo should I bring to the field with me. I understand its based on how well I shoot etc, but I am a newb and would like to try and make an educated guess. Whats the AVG success rate per shot taken? Thanks guys

Sydwaiz
08-06-2007, 11:40 AM
If you are good, 10. :D If it's your first time, a few boxes!

Egan
08-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Those buggers move a bit too fast for me, but I don't usually go through more then 3-4 boxes in two days.

Coastey
08-06-2007, 4:03 PM
If you've never gone dove hunting before, I'd bring at least two boxes. Leave one in the truck/car and take one with you. Dove hunting is some of the best shooting there is...and you get all the shooting you want out of your system... because I always went deer hunting after dove season and was lucky to get one or two shots off during a hunt. I had a box of 30-06 last me quite a few seasons, but went through at least a box and a half of 20 gauge shells a season.

Hunter
08-06-2007, 10:32 PM
About how many round of shotgun ammo should I bring to the field with me. I understand its based on how well I shoot etc, but I am a newb and would like to try and make an educated guess. Whats the AVG success rate per shot taken? Thanks guys

If you can take a limit with a box of shells, you are doing OK. But it is not uncommon to see new shooters going thru 2-3 boxes for the limit. Dove shells are cheap and so tossing in a 3-4 boxes in the vehicle is the way to go.

82A1CAL
08-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Bring one case! It's better to have too many than not enough. ;D

Rumpled
08-07-2007, 9:28 AM
I've read reports that the average is 6-8 rounds per dove taken.
I usually carry two boxes on me and have more in the truck.

We tend to throw some clays in the evenings also, so over the opener weekend; I might go thru 10 boxes or so.

elsolo
08-07-2007, 11:33 AM
I always bring 200-300 shells.
I don't miss that much :D but every year somebody else runs out and I give away or sell a few boxes to somebody that didn't bring enough. Don't be that guy, the one walking up to strangers asking if they have any extra shells they could sell out in the field. Ammo won't go bad, it's cheap, no excuse not to bring enough.

sargenv
08-07-2007, 11:42 AM
I usually bring a case, but tend to fire only about 5 shells per bird, give or take.. It depends on if they are spooked, are working where you are at, if you are hiding well, or if you are taking mostly longer shots. I tend to use 7.5's so I get a bit more range out of mine. Having a dog trained to retrieve tends to up your numbers some as they can be hard to spot, once you down them, in heavy brush.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-07-2007, 11:56 AM
If your a good shot 1 box. You will have some left over. If not a good shot bring a few boxes. You will have none left over.

hybridatsun350
08-07-2007, 1:08 PM
There is no reason not to bring more than you need. Just bring 4 or 5 boxes.

Vigilante
08-07-2007, 11:31 PM

I read an article in Field and Stream saying that the average dove hunter shoots 5 rounds per dove I believe, but it may have been more like you were saying. I always take two boxes on my person and a few in the truck also.

mdhpper
08-13-2007, 3:56 PM
Bring one case! It's better to have too many than not enough. ;D

Good advice, a case is a good way to go!

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-13-2007, 4:28 PM
Originally Posted by Rumpled

God i hope not. That would be like hunting with Dick Chaney. LOL!!!

naimad
08-13-2007, 8:35 PM
I always bring 200-300 shells.
I don't miss that much :D but every year somebody else runs out and I give away or sell a few boxes to somebody that didn't bring enough. Don't be that guy, the one walking up to strangers asking if they have any extra shells they could sell out in the field. Ammo won't go bad, it's cheap, no excuse not to bring enough.

+1 on that