PDA

View Full Version : Time to start making skinny camo

spamsucker
12-06-2012, 12:54 PM
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/12/hunting_by_liberal_urban_locavores_is_a_trend_good _for_the_environment.html?wpisrc=most_viral

Not sure how I feel about that but skinny camo seems like just the thing.

qbi2001
12-06-2012, 5:13 PM
I think this is great. I have been killing animals for protein and outdoor enjoyment for quite some time. It has nothing to do with politics or a group of people I associate with. I find it to be a healthy alternative to animals slaughtered commercially and a fulfilling hobby.

The more people that are willing to regain a connection to the meat we eat by directly raising and slaughtering, or hunting and killing the better. I have the same respect for any one willing to see the true side of animal protein (killing, gutting, and butchering) regardless if you drive a truck or a Ford Focus to a duck blind.

I will hold it against you if you pull up in a Toyota Prius though.

KWalkerM
12-06-2012, 5:19 PM
I think this is great. I have been killing animals for protein and outdoor enjoyment for quite some time. It has nothing to do with politics or a group of people I associate with. I find it to be a healthy alternative to animals slaughtered commercially and a fulfilling hobby.

The more people that are willing to regain a connection to the meat we eat by directly raising and slaughtering, or hunting and killing the better. I have the same respect for any one willing to see the true side of animal protein (killing, gutting, and butchering) regardless if you drive a truck or a Ford Focus to a duck blind.

I will hold it against you if you pull up in a Toyota Prius though.

this made me lol

and yes i think its great that people are out there hunting, hipsters or not. i like seeing more hunters as long as i dont get shot again

Laddy
12-06-2012, 6:13 PM
This, if true, won't last. These "hipsters" have the attention span of a five year old on sugar.

lewdogg21
12-06-2012, 6:35 PM
No bs. I take my prius hunting. The electric engine mode is great for road hunting and I can fit an 80 qt ice chest in the hatch back so if I get a deer I will quarter out. Plus instead of spending $50 per trip on gas it's like $12-15.

Laddy
12-06-2012, 7:24 PM
No bs. I take my prius hunting. The electric engine mode is great for road hunting and I can fit an 80 qt ice chest in the hatch back so if I get a deer I will quarter out. Plus instead of spending $50 per trip on gas it's like $12-15.

I assume you don't hunt Idaho in November :)

MJB
12-06-2012, 8:09 PM
It's all good if we have more SAFE hunters.

spamsucker
12-07-2012, 5:37 AM
This, if true, won't last. These "hipsters" have the attention span of a five year old on sugar.

It's all good if we have more SAFE hunters.

so with the above treated as valid statements...

lewdogg21
12-07-2012, 5:43 AM
hah. So when I first posted I hadn't read the article. I guess it's a good thing since at least in CA hunting license sales seem to continue to decline. Um and yeah my prius is owned by my employer and yes once the rain/snow starts I leave it at home and have to bring my pickup.

To be honest a good number of the guys I see who hunt have all new gear and don't have much experience so the difference between them and a hipster may be a beard and Keep tahoe blue sticker on their subaru. lol.

NickTheGreek
12-07-2012, 8:26 AM
I've been hunting, fishing, and trapping before hunting, fishing, and trapping were cool.

Laddy
12-07-2012, 8:26 AM
...so the difference between them and a hipster may be a beard and Keep tahoe blue sticker on their subaru. lol.

LOL...the one with Tahoe shaded in red/white/blue always cracks me up.

I would never begrudge anyone who wants to get involved in hunting California. As a thrid-generation hunter now in my late 30s I've seen the sport of hunting bend to the whims of social change; if this new "hipster" movement of wanting to know where your food comes from provides just an ounce of pressure to reverse the mismanagement over the past thirty years, then we'll all come out ahead.

...although I just don't see it. I work in an office enviornment, and what is fashionable to do one year (mountain biking, pretend rock climbing at the gym, barefoot jogging) is considered out-dated the next. Let's face it, you have to WANT to hunt; (a) the state doesn't make it easy, (b) its a bloody business, (c) expensive and (d) having to tell your wife that you're going to use two out of your three weeks of vacation time to hike the mountains or wade through the marsh--well not everyone who views it as a "hobby" and not as a "passion" is going to pass that last test.

Hunter87
12-07-2012, 9:32 AM
\ Let's face it, you have to WANT to hunt; (a) the state doesn't make it easy, (b) its a bloody business, (c) expensive and (d) having to tell your wife that you're going to use two out of your three weeks of vacation time to hike the mountains or wade through the marsh--well not everyone who views it as a "hobby" and not as a "passion" is going to pass that last test.

I'd have to agree. I take large dishes of cooked game into work to share all the time, most really enjoy it. After I have guys asking me "When are we going hunting?" or "Lets go kill something!" I usually just explain that to hunt you need a hunting license, and to get one you have to take a hunters safety course. I have yet to see anyone pursue it past that. If they did I would be more then happy to help a new hunter learn the ropes.

More sportsmen=more people that understand hunting/fishing.

Just my 2 cents.