PDA

View Full Version : Oh $h1t shopping list

TheChief
12-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Hello Everyone,

I carry with me an "Oh $h1t" shopping list and a number of $100 bills in my wallet. The intent is if something happens I have enough cash on hand to help with any needs I may have to get home or buy supplies.

The shopping list is what I would look for at a grocery store to bring home to "enhance" my existing supplies should something. If I am at home, I would quickly run to the store to get these items:

Priority Items
Rice - bag
Beans - dry in a bag
Powdered milk
Canned meats (tuna, chicken, pork)
Flour
Peanut butter
Yeast
Nuts
Dried fruit
Vitamins (mulit, C, D)
Chocolate bars
Energy bars
Granola mixes
Jerky
Dried sausage
Shelf stable milk (soy, rice, almond, milk)
Cheese (shelf stable - deli style or Velveeta)
Nutella
Applesauce (large container)
Oatmeal/cereal
Breakfast bars/Pop Tarts
Pasta

If money and the situation allow...

Secondary Items
Cooking oil
Coffee/Tea/Punch/Energy mix
Canned soups
Canned chili
Canned fruit
Salt Sugar
Meat, (solid cut for making jerky)
Lard
Spices
OTC meds (Aspirin, Tylenol, Motrin, Cough, Cold, Anti-everythgins, Ambesol, etc)
Bandages
Bags of fruit
Bags of potatoes
Bags of onions
Juice (think gallon size)
Cookies
Crackers
Brita container and spare filters
Sauce/Chile/Seasoning packets
Packaged side meals
Pancake/Muffin mix
Breads
Vinegar
Canned pasta
Bleach
Matches/Lighters
Propane
Batteries
Pedialyte/Ensure/Boost

Once the above were in my cart or at home or in my truck with someone "guarding it", and if I had enough room and cash...

Trading Items
Tobacco (pouch, dry, cigarettes) - for trading
Alcohol (cheap bottles) - for trading

NOTE: I struggle with the trading supplies. Shouldnt I spend that money on more rice and beans? However I made need somethine I dont have and this type of supply may be more valuable.

What am I missing? What does your list look like?

This list is not meant to be a substitute for prior prepping, but rather an opportunistic addition to my supplies when you know somehting is or has happened but the store has not changed to emergency mode.

Tripper
12-06-2012, 11:58 AM
top 100 items to disappear first
http://survivalcache.com/top-100-items-to-dissappear-first/

maybe that will give you ideas, or a few things you havent thought of

KevinB
12-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Meds, antibiotics, Maxi pads.

speedrrracer
12-06-2012, 1:00 PM
Some good thinking going on here!

I carry money as part of the GHB, but I don't think I'd have the confidence to go into a store knowing that the S has HTF. Even if I felt there was a few hours, I would want every extra minute to get home safely (you might get a flat tire or in an accident) and, if it was a bug-out situation, make some distance before the serious fighting starts.

I agree on the struggle to peg what might constitute a good "trading item". I tend to default to "if I need it, most people will, too" and consider only those things.

Alcohol / tobacco are nice to have, and surely you'll get some addicts who are in the "need" area for those items, but a bottle of water is in the need list for everyone, so you'll have a larger potential customer base, right?

Larger customer base helps if, as the OP mentioned, you need something you don't have. It gives you the best chance that the guy who does have what you need wants something you have.

Having said all that, if I'm in the store, and already buying stuff, and I'm somehow dead sure I have plenty of time, the OP's list is good, although maybe it's food-heavy and water-light...and toiletries should probably also be on it, since they're at every store. Tripper's list has some extras to ponder, too.

TheChief
12-06-2012, 1:05 PM
Here was a list I put together after reading all the top 100s out there...http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=592806

I have seen a number of the lists purporting what you should have in your preparations or what will disappear off store shelves first in an emergency and thought they were lacking in one area or another. The thread above was a list I put together. I drew inspiration from the many other lists I have seen, my own experience and knowledge, and what I would like to have. For me it is a thinking list…it helps me think about what I could, should, or would have with infinite funding, time and space.

TheChief
12-06-2012, 1:09 PM
Some good thinking going on here!

...the OP's list is good, although maybe it's food-heavy and water-light...and toiletries should probably also be on it, since they're at every store. Tripper's list has some extras to ponder, too.

Yeah, you got a point. I was looking at it from my point of view where I have enough water and toiletries and batteries etc.

However, If I didn't have all that I would go and buy up as much water as I could first thing as that would be the most vital item over all other supplies I could purchase at a Grocery store.

TheChief
12-06-2012, 5:52 PM
Ended up swinging by the grocery store tonight to get some groceries. While Mama shopped I ran through the isles making notes on what else might go on the list...

Primary
Shelf stable milk (soy, rice, almond, milk)
Cheese (shelf stable - deli style or Velveeta)
Nutella
Applesauce (large container)
Oatmeal/cereal
Breakfast bars/Pop Tarts
Pasta

Secondary
Bags of fruit
Bags of potatoes
Bags of onions
Juice (think gallon size)
Cookies
Crackers
Brita container and spare filters
Sauce/Chile/Seasoning packets
Packaged side meals
Pancake/Muffin mix
Breads
Vinegar
Canned pasta
Bleach
Matches/Lighters
Propane
Batteries
Pedialyte/Ensure/Boost

I am adding these to the original list.

kaligaran
12-06-2012, 6:19 PM
Great list and good thinking.

If I was able to know ahead of time that S would HTF I would definitly go shopping earlier that day. However, if S just HTF, then I am going home to board up and wouldn't delay it at all with shopping.

Think about a traffic accident at rush hour that blocks 1/2 the lanes of a highway for only 30 minutes. The closer you are to the wreck, the more likely you won't be delayed as long as the car that pulled up an hour later. That's kinda what I expect SHTF will turn the highways into. Except exponentially worse. :(

speedrrracer
12-06-2012, 6:35 PM
Some very good additions there!

Your pedialyte got me thinking about pedialyte vs something you already had on the list in your OP -- dried milk.

I guess there's more nutritional value in the Ensure / Boost stuff, I don't know, but assuming so seems like a safe bet. The Ensure / Boost isn't dehydrated, right? So you're dealing with the water weight in those products.

I don't have kids, so if there's something critical I'm missing let me know, but let's arbitrarily say you have 100 lbs of weight available in your BOV, and you're trying to decide the optimal way to use that weight for either dried milk or Pedialyte / Ensure / Boost.

The milk is really light, so you can carry way more of it. But you might need to supplement the milk with vitamins to be as good as the Ensure / Boost...Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powdered_milk) says, "Milk powders contain all twenty-one standard amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, and are high in soluble vitamins and minerals.[6] " So maybe you don't need to supplement too much. For sure you need to add water.

In terms of caloric density, the dried milk is 6 times more calorie dense, because you're not paying for the water weight. A little over 1 ounce of dried milk has 160 calories (http://www.packitgourmet.com/Natures-First-Full-Cream-Milk-Powder-p159.html), whereas 8 ounces of Boost has 240 calories (http://www.boost.com/nutritional-drinks/boost-original).

Now the Boost has much better nutritionals, but we have 100 pounds of room. With only 17 pounds of dried milk, we have more calories than 100 pounds of Boost. That leaves us 83 pounds for extra multivitamins, water filters / purifiers, water itself, etc, etc.

Just thinking out loud. Maybe too much micro-managing, but our bug-out plans are our boat, so space is always kinda on my mind, and you mentioned cramming your car, so the space restriction struck a chord with me.

For peeps with kids, is the Pedialyte / Boost / whatever important....as in, to the extent that you could not or would not substitute dried milk + vitamins?

ROTC sniper
12-06-2012, 6:59 PM
I would trade your $100 bills for smaller denominations. I know $100s are easier to carry but who's gonna have change at that point....maybe some stores but if you need to barter or buy from a private party...they won't.

badreligion
12-06-2012, 7:49 PM
Nice quick grab lists. Since you said grocery store there may other useful stuff they have you may want to grab too.

Zip lock bags - all sizes
Aluminum Foil
Baby Wipes
Lighter Fluid - BBQ
Powdered Juices
Canned Veggies
Dried Meats - salami
Detergents
Trash Bags
Mason Jars
Hard Candies
Cotton Balls
Paper plates and bowls
Vaseline
Etc.

Changalang
12-06-2012, 8:44 PM
-P1XlBSUS1Y

DavidR310
12-06-2012, 8:47 PM
I can see the use of pedialyte even if you don't have kids.

In a shtf scenario, your more likely going to die from dehydration due to diarrhea than a sucking chest wound.

Getting your body hydrated quickly and back to %100 will be crucial. If weight is a concern, try electrolyte tabs.

Some very good additions there!

Your pedialyte got me thinking about pedialyte vs something you already had on the list in your OP -- dried milk.

I guess there's more nutritional value in the Ensure / Boost stuff, I don't know, but assuming so seems like a safe bet. The Ensure / Boost isn't dehydrated, right? So you're dealing with the water weight in those products.

I don't have kids, so if there's something critical I'm missing let me know, but let's arbitrarily say you have 100 lbs of weight available in your BOV, and you're trying to decide the optimal way to use that weight for either dried milk or Pedialyte / Ensure / Boost.

The milk is really light, so you can carry way more of it. But you might need to supplement the milk with vitamins to be as good as the Ensure / Boost...Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powdered_milk) says, "Milk powders contain all twenty-one standard amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, and are high in soluble vitamins and minerals.[6] " So maybe you don't need to supplement too much. For sure you need to add water.

In terms of caloric density, the dried milk is 6 times more calorie dense, because you're not paying for the water weight. A little over 1 ounce of dried milk has 160 calories (http://www.packitgourmet.com/Natures-First-Full-Cream-Milk-Powder-p159.html), whereas 8 ounces of Boost has 240 calories (http://www.boost.com/nutritional-drinks/boost-original).

Now the Boost has much better nutritionals, but we have 100 pounds of room. With only 17 pounds of dried milk, we have more calories than 100 pounds of Boost. That leaves us 83 pounds for extra multivitamins, water filters / purifiers, water itself, etc, etc.

Just thinking out loud. Maybe too much micro-managing, but our bug-out plans are our boat, so space is always kinda on my mind, and you mentioned cramming your car, so the space restriction struck a chord with me.

For peeps with kids, is the Pedialyte / Boost / whatever important....as in, to the extent that you could not or would not substitute dried milk + vitamins?

Lifeon2whls
12-06-2012, 8:50 PM
By the time you realize it's time to get to the store, so has everyone else. People get shot during Black Friday over deals for tickle me Elmo dolls, do you think things will be much better when they feel their lives are on the line and they have nothing at home? Your walking into a situation you should be avoiding completely. The point of being prepared is so that you don't have to be one of those suckers fighting for scraps at the store.

If something is going down, get home. Make sure the family is safe (if you have one) and make sure your supplies are secure. Let everyone else fight it out on the streets.

jonnyt16
12-06-2012, 8:57 PM
By the time you realize it's time to get to the store, so has everyone else. People get shot during Black Friday over deals for tickle me Elmo dolls, do you think things will be much better when they feel their lives are on the line and they have nothing at home? Your walking into a situation you should be avoiding completely. The point of being prepared is so that you don't have to be one of those suckers fighting for scraps at the store.

If something is going down, get home. Make sure the family is safe (if you have one) and make sure your supplies are secure. Let everyone else fight it out on the streets.
This is exactly what I was thinking and am surprised nobody mentioned it earlier. The last place I want to be during a big crisis is at the store. I mean, thats the whole reason I prep!

TheChief
12-06-2012, 11:43 PM
As preppers we are more familiar with the signs or precursors of oncoming calamities then most of the population because it is the root of our interest in prepping while the majority of the population ignores potential events.

If something happened that you decided to make the purchases and the opportunity was in front of you, then a list like this could be helpful.

I don't agree with the generalized statements that there is no way you will succeed so you should just go home and hunker down. To me that falls in line with there is no need to prep cause nothing will ever happen.

This is a list should the situation occur where I could use it. Just like your preps are available should you need to use them.

I was very specific in saying these were enhancements to existing preps, not the preps them self.

If you don't want to take advantage of an opportunity than great...don't. In the mean time if you have helpful suggestions to the list, please share them.

madland
12-07-2012, 12:57 AM
I agree with the smaller denominations..last thing you want is desperate people during desperate times seeing you pull out a bunch of $100 bills. Sure it's probably easier to keep 5-$100 vs. 25-$20. But some happy medium is in order here I would say.
I also agree that this is probably the last place I want to be if it's going down and should be more concerned with getting home, to my kids school, making sure the wife is heading home from work.
Lastly, I agree with The Chief and his list/ideas here. One thing I would suggest is ditching the 1-gallon stuff and getting stuff in packages broken up into smaller servings. For example, the apple sauce or the OJ. If a single serving cup of apple sauce gets dropped or knocked over by accident, all you have lost is a single serving vs. a big container going to waste. Didn't see Gatorade on the list..another good option. Don't forget those comfort foods especially if you have kids. Those little packs of peanut butter/crackers, cookies, etc will go a long way so I would list them as Primary instead of Secondary. I buy the Jif single servings of peanut butter in bulk. Both kids eat 'em..either alone or with apples,etc. I prefer buying items in bulk that are packaged in mutliple servings for the reasons stated above, also for the ease of distributing, and to keep stuff sealed and un-opened and less need be.
My .02
Some good ideas posted though too. Thanks for making me re-assess and not be complacent with what I have.

the86d
12-07-2012, 6:19 AM
Meds, antibiotics, Maxi pads.

I ALWAYS forget about maxi pads, and tampons when I am at the dollar store.
(I NEVER thought I had need for them, until recently. :))

KevinB
12-07-2012, 7:21 AM
We have a multitude of most of everything on your list and then some. We always have those things.

The past year we have increased our medical stores dramatically.

I already mentioned antibiotics, but another thing we are learning and have put away is very comprehensive medical kit. I have learned to suture, staple and glue some pretty ugly wounds. Surgical glue is a great product but have learned that good old super glue will do in a pinch.

I will try to post up a some pictures of our family pantry.

Stan08
12-07-2012, 8:54 AM

+1. This. If after the warning of an event and you have time to make it to a store, and there are actually things of use to buy then consider yourself lucky.

I would be prepared to do some MMA, arm bars, and choke holds in this scenario.

Your cash idea is smart though (in smaller denominations) as card machines often fail even during normal times and Murphy's law say they would be down during bad times especially.

TheChief
12-07-2012, 9:59 AM
How about having BOTH small AND large denominations...

I have had a number of $100 notes tucked into my wallet for going on ten years now that have never been touched. I also keep my normal spending cash that I treat like the fuel in my car...I rarely deplete it. So this gives me both small and large denominations.

Not all transactions will be small ones and I would be willing to over pay or bribe someone if I needed something bad enough. Its all about having options.

Chaparral
12-08-2012, 7:27 AM
Nothing much on the oh s**t list. Thats the whole point of being prepared in the first place; so such a list in not needed.

speedrrracer
12-08-2012, 4:52 PM
Nothing much on the oh s**t list. Thats the whole point of being prepared in the first place; so such a list in not needed.

As has been mentioned about 1000 times already in this thread,

DUH

:facepalm:

This thread is about a specific scenario, which is escaping many who might otherwise post something thoughtful

Think of it like this: If you were in the store, and God came down from Heaven, and told you the S would hit the fan in a few hours, and He personally guaranteed you would make it home safely, but He said if you chose, you could have this one final shopping trip to top up on anything you could both afford and fit into your vehicle.

Since your safe passage home is guaranteed by God Himself, and since you're already at the store, would you buy anything? Or would you just say, "Nope, I have no room in my preps. I'm so prepped I couldn't even take a single bottle of water in my car at this point."

Sunday
12-08-2012, 6:00 PM
To a large percentage of consumers, being prepared means being prepared to shop.

TheChief
12-08-2012, 6:26 PM
I get it! Some of you don't think there would be any chance of grabbing something if the opportunity would arise. You know how every possible situation will possibly go down so there is no need for you to try.

You know it all don't you! There is no possibility to be in the lead, or one of the first ones, or in the right place at the right time, Or know something slightly sooner then others.

Since you know all this, move on. Thank you for reading...hope you enjoyed it.

But to bash any possibility is just mean considering this forum is here to help.

It sounds like your taking a page out of the majority of the population that thinks prepping is stupid. You don't believe it could happen and you can't imagine it happening so you bash all those dumb ignorant folk that are prepping. Congrats.

Some of us may think this is a good idea and it takes no more resources than some brain power and a sheet of paper.

This list was never meant to replace proper preps, just an opportunistic change to enhance what you already have. No one is preaching to wait till the last minute so get off that soap box and let people be.

FatCity67
12-09-2012, 4:01 AM
Prophylactics

the86d
12-09-2012, 4:36 AM
Prophylactics

I don't need these anymore...
Doctor "Shakey-hands" took care of any future need of mine for this item...
When Google becomes self-aware I will not worry about catching something... just enjoying all the joys I have left to the fullest. ;)

highender
12-09-2012, 2:24 PM
saw that you added batteries... good. Almost all people would need batteries.

A cheaper alernative would be matches and candles. Everyone would need that.

1- matches and candles
2- grab a variety of medicines
3- duct tape .

seems you covered most needed stuff. Good job.

I would grab some kerosene or lighter fluid, you can use or barter.

3-

TheChief
12-09-2012, 3:31 PM
Here is an example of how a list would be useful without needing divine intervention...http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=9884478

Nachoman
12-09-2012, 4:03 PM
Personally, I'd move all the bags of produce to the top priority list. If you think about it, I'll bet that all the long term storage stuff like beans and rice you already have. Sure, having more of it might help but it's also redundant. The fresh produce like bags of potatoes, apples, oranges, onions, etc. are things that you obviously can't store ahead of time, so you probably won't have much of that stocked at home. However they last for several weeks and greatly improve the quality of life in the intermediate future..

TheChief
12-09-2012, 4:45 PM
Personally, I'd move all the bags of produce to the top priority list. If you think about it, I'll bet that all the long term storage stuff like beans and rice you already have. Sure, having more of it might help but it's also redundant. The fresh produce like bags of potatoes, apples, oranges, onions, etc. are things that you obviously can't store ahead of time, so you probably won't have much of that stocked at home. However they last for several weeks and greatly improve the quality of life in the intermediate future..

I struggle with that decision. Quality versus quantity.

Given a limited amount of money, time, and carrying capacity... do you go with a bag of rice that you could live off an extra week or two longer or a bag of produce?

FatCity67
12-09-2012, 5:08 PM
I don't need these anymore...
Doctor "Shakey-hands" took care of any future need of mine for this item...
When Google becomes self-aware I will not worry about catching something... just enjoying all the joys I have left to the fullest. ;)

Barter item.

Nachoman
12-09-2012, 5:36 PM
I struggle with that decision. Quality versus quantity.

Given a limited amount of money, time, and carrying capacity... do you go with a bag of rice that you could live off an extra week or two longer or a bag of produce?

Bear in mind that the three limitations you listed: money, time, and carrying capacity... are only limitations at the time of the event. So, if you feel that the extra bag of rice is such a big need, then what's stopping you from buying it now which would eliminate two of those limitations (time and carrying capacity). Then, on the day of the event, you can focus on intermediate needs that are non-storable.

TheChief
12-09-2012, 6:20 PM
Bear in mind that the three limitations you listed: money, time, and carrying capacity... are only limitations at the time of the event. So, if you feel that the extra bag of rice is such a big need, then what's stopping you from buying it now which would eliminate two of those limitations (time and carrying capacity). Then, on the day of the event, you can focus on intermediate needs that are non-storable.

Because they are not as important. Even if I had enough, and that not's possible, there is still my neighbors that could benefit or it could be used as trading goods. Value wise the rice and beans hold more nutrients long term than the produce.

Now if I am at the store and find so many like minded people that the rice and beans are gone, then I would work my way down the list and eventually get to produce.

Tripper
12-09-2012, 7:33 PM

If getting produce at last minute
Buy the stuff that you can plant
Potatoes for example
Or buy seeds for various fruits and veggies now

Personally I wouldn't worry about the potential trade items, I would get what I need/can use, same as others which can also be bartered as someone mentioned easier with a larger client base
If I am later scavenging for supplies and run across alcohol or tobacco, of course I will grab it for potential later trade, but if I'm scavenging and have room or weight limitations I would nix or cache those items in lieu of needed items
Caching might be a more appropriate idea for those things probably, so it does not take up needed room for other stuff and can be somewhat readily accessible, that's still, for me, only if I happen across it while scavenging or gathering other stuff, to me it's just not worth the mass/weight unless I find there is something known and specific I can trade it for later. That weight/mass I will use for stuff I can absolutely use or need

socalsteve
12-14-2012, 1:37 PM
I don't like to carry large bills because I figure in an emergency no one will have change.

If the register isn't working it may be "sorry we cannot make change"

I prefer to have 1's, 5's & 10's.

speedrrracer
12-14-2012, 1:55 PM
I don't like to carry large bills because I figure in an emergency no one will have change.

If the register isn't working it may be "sorry we cannot make change"

I prefer to have 1's, 5's & 10's.

Agreed that no one will make change, but in an emergency, who cares about a few bucks? Is that really the time for "penny saved is a penny earned" type thinking?

If some place has just one water filter left, you have 47 bucks (in 10s, 5s, and singles) and I offer the store owner 100 bucks + "keep the change", who just got that last filter?

You just can't carry a stack of 5s thick enough to accomplish anything. If we each commit the same amount of space / weight to monetary notes, I'm averaging ~20 times more money than you, assuming you divide your notes equally among your named denominations.

If we each commit 50 notes worth of pocket space, I have 5 large. You have less than 300 bucks. Imagine some military humvee is giving a ride to anyone they can cram inside for one last evac. They room for one more guy. That's not the time to get outbid because you were being frugal.

Not everyone can afford to leave a lot of money in a BOB or GHB, I totally get that, but saying you're not packing as much $$ as possible simply because you'll lose the change seems to be penny-wise and pound-foolish, imo...

ElvenSoul
12-15-2012, 3:56 PM
I'm thinking Pepto to hold it all down

TheChief
12-17-2012, 6:27 AM
Yep, lots of pepto and anti-squirts meds.

Norcalkid
12-17-2012, 7:32 PM
I get it! Some of you don't think there would be any chance of grabbing something if the opportunity would arise. You know how every possible situation will possibly go down so there is no need for you to try.

You know it all don't you! There is no possibility to be in the lead, or one of the first ones, or in the right place at the right time, Or know something slightly sooner then others.

Since you know all this, move on. Thank you for reading...hope you enjoyed it.

But to bash any possibility is just mean considering this forum is here to help.

It sounds like your taking a page out of the majority of the population that thinks prepping is stupid. You don't believe it could happen and you can't imagine it happening so you bash all those dumb ignorant folk that are prepping. Congrats.

Some of us may think this is a good idea and it takes no more resources than some brain power and a sheet of paper.

This list was never meant to replace proper preps, just an opportunistic change to enhance what you already have. No one is preaching to wait till the last minute so get off that soap box and let people be.

My initial thought to this post was about the same as others, WTF good is a list if disaster strikes. But I guess after reading this post I got the thinking about it. Sure there might be time, like a heard on the radio on the way home from work the storm of the century should arrive in the morning. I might stop buy the store and pick up some stuff. But my whole thought process on being prepared is to have that stuff already. So it probably wouldn’t be more than food items and whatever looked good and didn’t need to go in the freezer. I guess it depends on the situation and how long. If it was a long term thing I would be wanting seeds (which I plan to get soon but don't have ATM).

I do like the idea of small bills. Sure I have them in my BOB but never thought to put a few in my wallet. Will do.

EmptySkuLL
12-18-2012, 11:58 PM
I look at these lists as a great "target of opportunity" to get supplies that maybe I already have but would love to supplement, not for lack of planning or prepping, but because the opportunity arose to get more. Or for the case of myself and maybe others, its not the lack of planning, but the lack of practical storage space for these last minute items. Sure I could stock up alot more on various items, but having them in the middle of your living room year round is not practical unless you know for sure that you are definately going to need/use these items in the immediate future. In the case of last minute items & supplies, sure stack them all in the hallways or wherever they will fit, work around them, since you know you will be using them.

How about "non-grocery store" type items?

I think I would place Gasoline/Propane/Fuel above most of the others. Yes, I have a supply of these at home, but 50 gallons of Gasoline and 40 gallons of Propane in Fire Resistant cabinets is all I am comfortable storing for my "usual" rotation of supplies. I know if the chance arose I would love to get more in the case of an impending disaster/situation, where short term storage would not be an issue. I just think back to the recent Hurricane and remember seeing people camped out for fuel and thinking that I do NOT want to be one of those guys. I know if I had ample time and was near my home, and there wasnt already a Black Friday style line at the gas station, that would be my first stop.

As far as cash, I think having the smaller bills is a smart move. If only to minimize the opportunists that say they "dont have change". Reminds me of the cocktail waitresses, strippers, bellhops, cabbies etc... that "never" have change in the hopes that you will leave them the entire larger bill.

The rest of the list looks great. I would add chlorine bleach to the list for disinfecting things and as an additional method to purify water.