PDA

View Full Version : SF Gun Law Press Conference

dfletcher
08-05-2007, 7:06 PM
I know it was a week or so ago, but they've replayed the gun law signing on SFGate. I know it's an election year, but what an offensive display.

I just finished watching the recent press conference re the SF gun law - Newsome, Harris, Maxwell, Mirikami & Fong doing their usual bit. So much garbage and misinformation it's impossible to keep track.

They showed the take from the gun buyback. They said 119 were turned in and had a Mini 14, some type of AR and an Uzi (hope I'm right on ID, got only a quick look) but it looked like the rest were the usual RGs turned in.

Their next big issue is the Cow Palace - which they describe as a hotbed of activity where guns are legally bought inside and illegally traded in the parking lot. What world do these people live in? They said they are going to be there this Saturday & are asking the Governer to get involved. I wasn't going to go this Sat, but will make it a point now of going. I think whatever we think of the show we should have a big turnout there this Saturday.

Someone (a "Reverend" type) off camera said he & his group were going to start going after gun stores outside SF - boycotts, public events & such.

By the way, this new law is not in effect in much of public housing - which is of course where alot of problems occur. Think about that - if you believe the law will make a difference, it is not in effect in the one area where it could make a difference. But you support it anyway.

They say they'll continue to push for municipal gun control measures.

There was a reporter named Barbara - didn't get a last name & she was off camera. She asked good questions about about law abiding people & guns, what a waste the law was, that criminals don't follow the law, etc. Anyone know who she is? Her questions made points & highlighted that these guys just don't like guns.

BTW - a joke was made about how we're not in Montana & there aren't deer running around SF. The clear inference was the only reason a person "should" want a gun is for hunting. These guys have a basic belief that guns are bad and that you & I have no right to defend ourself.

Dont Tread on Me
08-05-2007, 7:12 PM
start going after gun stores outside SF - boycotts,

Anti gunners boycotting gun stores is like the Pope boycotting a brothel!

I hope we can get intel on the stores they plan to boycot and go buy some guns that day.

MedSpec65
08-05-2007, 7:16 PM
These guys have a basic belief that telling a population that fell into an amber pit in 1968 exactly what they want to hear will keep them running a once-great American city into oblivion.

trashman
08-05-2007, 7:25 PM
These guys have a basic belief that telling a population that fell into an amber pit in 1968 exactly what they want to hear will keep them running a once-great American city into oblivion.

I tend to agree (and I live in SF). The Chronicle had an excellent article a year or so ago that forecast San Francisco as the next "Amsterdaam of the 1700's" I.e., a once-great city not relevant in any meaningful way to the world around it; devoid of industry, no longer a capital of finance...otherwise just an expensive city populated by people who choose to live there because of its exclusivity.

Tie into that the politics of the city...the determination to make the city a utopian experiment of some sort....almost freudian fixation on free wireless internet....

--Neill

56Chevy
08-05-2007, 7:45 PM

I hope we can get intel on the stores they plan to boycot and go buy some guns that day.
Let me know. I can buy another handgun on 8/12.:D

dfletcher
08-05-2007, 7:47 PM
I have to say, it's one thing to read about how these folks want restrictions and such, it's another to watch them and listen to what they want to do. They want to ban all guns, they don't think anyone has a right to own a gun and they don't think anyone has a right to defend themself. I don't think they believe I should be allowed to use a 3 wood to defend myself. Actually I guess that's their goal.

tiki
08-05-2007, 7:51 PM
Whats up at the Cow Palace? Is it a gun show? I need some ammo and accessories.

CCWFacts
08-05-2007, 8:08 PM
Their next big issue is the Cow Palace - which they describe as a hotbed of activity where guns are legally bought inside and illegally traded in the parking lot.

If it's such a hotbed of illegal activity why don't they do some stings there? Just send someone over there dressed as a gun show attendee and have him try to make a purchase in the parking lot. Should be an easy arrest and conviction if what they say is true.

BTW - a joke was made about how we're not in Montana & there aren't deer running around SF.

What's funny is there are in fact deer running around in SF.

spgk380
08-05-2007, 8:35 PM

Or, like the Pope boycotting a NAMBLA meeting--- oh wait, no, like the Pope boycotting a neo-Nazi convention---oh wait no, like the Pope boycotting an Intelligent Design meeting--oh wait no, like the Pope boycotting an anti-AIDS conference---oh wait, no, like the Pope boycotting..... hummm....

56Chevy
08-05-2007, 9:55 PM
Their next big issue is the Cow Palace - which they describe as a hotbed of activity where guns are legally bought inside and illegally traded in the parking lot.
What about the 10 day waiting period? These people know that they are being deceptive, but they count on getting the support of uninformed people. There are plenty of those

dfletcher
08-05-2007, 11:29 PM
It's difficult to know if they are truly misinformed and believe what they are saying, or if they know better and are being deceptive to make their case. I've been around the Mayor enough to know he can fake sincerity pretty well, Harris strikes me as a true believer. The bottom line is they absolutely hate guns and gun owners. They consider us throwbacks and morons.

I don't want to get into a whole state's rights, north/south discussion, but the look on their faces at times during the press conference reminded me of the old segregationists seen on the news in the early 60's. Their contempt for us and guns is that visceral and obvious.

Rumpled
08-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Those idiots of course know that the Cow Palace isn't even in their jurisdiction, right?
I mean, it's in a whole nother county!

1911_sfca
08-06-2007, 3:13 AM
BTW - a joke was made about how we're not in Montana & there aren't deer running around SF.

Ha ha ha.

Oh wait.

There *are* wild coyotes running around San Francisco and attacking in Golden Gate Park. link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/17/BAGOPR1MID1.DTL&hw=coyotes&sn=002&sc=965) And there *are* deer running around SF.

Oh well, why let the truth get in the way of a nice little sound bite?

dfletcher
08-06-2007, 6:12 AM
Those idiots of course know that the Cow Palace isn't even in their jurisdiction, right?
I mean, it's in a whole nother county!

They don't care - they're contacting the Governor and whomever else they think may help them. And they encourage other organizations to go after gun stores that are outside the city.

guns_and_labs
08-06-2007, 7:55 AM
If it's such a hotbed of illegal activity why don't they do some stings there? Just send someone over there dressed as a gun show attendee and have him try to make a purchase in the parking lot. Should be an easy arrest and conviction if what they say is true.

They've tried. Not successfully, that I've heard.

Now across and down the street, there's a spot where I'm going to bet you can buy any drugs you want... but I guess that's not the mayor's current enforcement priority.

56Chevy
08-06-2007, 8:27 AM
It's difficult to know if they are truly misinformed and believe what they are saying, or if they know better and are being deceptive to make their case. I've been around the Mayor enough to know he can fake sincerity pretty well, Harris strikes me as a true believer. The bottom line is they absolutely hate guns and gun owners. They consider us throwbacks and morons.

I don't want to get into a whole state's rights, north/south discussion, but the look on their faces at times during the press conference reminded me of the old segregationists seen on the news in the early 60's. Their contempt for us and guns is that visceral and obvious.
A DA should know the law very well. If not, then there is something seriously wrong. Oh yeah, there is, isn't there?:)

Speaking of segregationists: You should always watch out for the people who make it a point to tell you how much they love other races. They're usually the ones who hate them the most. It's the same as the people who want to make their religious beliefs known to everyone. They are usually the worst behaved people. You never hear anything from the guy who goes to church and does good things.

WokMaster1
08-06-2007, 8:51 AM
Can't one of you get a press pass/credentials? Afterall this is a web forum & a lot of bloggers/forum reps get press pass to cover their industry related news coverage. I wonder if Kes would allow it?

Imagine we have a camera crew with one of you talented penal code spewing gentleman asking all these common sense questions. I would love to hear what Kamala Harris, Newsome & the dumpity dump Oakey dokey MMMMkay Chief Fong have to say about violating the rights of law abiding citizens........ Can you say YouTube?

The country & sheeple of SF need to see the truth. The senior Democrats need to see that these juniors need to be spanked & put in place so that as not to stir s**t up for the upcoming elections. This is just pure politics, plain & simple. These people do not care about the city at all. A day in hell for Gavin would be the day he runs out of hair gel.

dfletcher
08-06-2007, 3:55 PM
There was one person asking some good questions - not up to our standards of course but pretty good for the average reporter. At first I thought it was Barbara Simpson but the voice didn't sound right.

Chief Fong says the gun lock requirement is good because if a person breaks into your home and steals a gun, they won't be able to use it because it's locked. :kest:

No really - she actually said that "they would be denied use" of the gun due to the gun lock. The same little skunk that managed to break into your building or home is going to be stopped dead in his tracks by an $8.00 lock.

I'd like to borrow a line from a TV show & pose it to the Chief - "What color is the sky in your world, Chief?"

hossb7
08-06-2007, 5:56 PM
There was one person asking some good questions - not up to our standards of course but pretty good for the average reporter. At first I thought it was Barbara Simpson but the voice didn't sound right.

Chief Fong says the gun lock requirement is good because if a person breaks into your home and steals a gun, they won't be able to use it because it's locked. :kest:

No really - she actually said that "they would be denied use" of the gun due to the gun lock. The same little skunk that managed to break into your building or home is going to be stopped dead in his tracks by an $8.00 lock.

I'd like to borrow a line from a TV show & pose it to the Chief - "What color is the sky in your world, Chief?"

of course she doesnt want to advocate for self defense, because thats mean to the criminal. she'd rather him have my $500, $700, $1,500 *insert your value here* handgun.

dwtt
08-06-2007, 7:21 PM
It's just like New York with that twit Bloomberg.
NY has lots of laws preventing law abiding citizens from owning or buying guns.
Now SF is passing similar laws.
NY doesn't see any decrease in crime and blames their guns on out of state dealers.
Now SF will start blaming dealers in San Mateo, Pacifica, San Jose, Fremont, Castro Valley,.... just wait 1 year and we might even see Gavin Newsome send out PI's to break the law in other counties like Bloombutt did.
Anyone else see this as just one part of the bigger campaign?

M. Sage
08-06-2007, 7:28 PM
So, is Newsom going to be at the Cow Palace Saturday? I'm planning on being there... I'll make sure I leave my wife at home.

MedSpec65
08-06-2007, 7:39 PM
Cow Palace? Great bulk ammo prices, if you like getting burned. They don't tell you about the "Cow Palace Tax". It appears on your receipt AFTER you've completed the transaction. I'll never go again. The place is filled with hustlers and over-priced junk.

mecam
08-06-2007, 8:54 PM
Cow Palace? Great bulk ammo prices, if you like getting burned. They don't tell you about the "Cow Palace Tax". It appears on your receipt AFTER you've completed the transaction. I'll never go again. The place is filled with hustlers and over-priced junk.

How much tax do they charge?

dfletcher
08-06-2007, 8:59 PM
So, is Newsom going to be at the Cow Palace Saturday? I'm planning on being there... I'll make sure I leave my wife at home.

Well, assuming you don't work for him & your wife isn't on the sauce I'd say you're safe. ;)

BTW - I don't know of any exemptions, so I'd presume all SFPD Officers have to lock'em up when they get home and the Chief has some sort of disciplinary measure in place to enforce this law - right? So we now have what is probably the only city in the country where cops at home are legally prohibited from quick access to their guns.

MedSpec65
08-06-2007, 9:05 PM
How much tax do they charge?I don't remember exactly because it was last year, but I DO remember it was outrageous and coming to the conclusion I could have done better at Wal*Mart when I computed the per-round cost. Now I know about Ammoman and Outdoormarksman. I'll do WAY better with those two sites. The only deal I got at the Cow Palace was from 2-Gun Press Pablo selling decent reloads for a reasonable price. I can reach him anytime thru Jackson Arms. If you want his number let me know.

Liberty1
08-07-2007, 7:37 PM
There was a link to this law posted here weeks ago but it doesn't work now. I haven't been able to find a link on the net. Anybody got a link?

Librarian
08-07-2007, 8:59 PM
There was a link to this law posted here weeks ago but it doesn't work now. I haven't been able to find a link on the net. Anybody got a link?

Recommendations of the Public Safety Committee

070682 [Prohibition of possession or sale of firearms or ammunition on county property] Mayor, Supervisors Maxwell, Mirkarimi
Ordinance amending the San Francisco Police Code by adding Section 617 to prohibit the possession or sale of firearms or ammunition on property controlled by the City and County of San Francisco.

FINALLY PASSED by the following vote:
Ayes: 8 - Alioto-Pier, Ammiano, Dufty, Elsbernd, Maxwell, McGoldrick, Mirkarimi, Sandoval
Noes: 3 - Daly, Jew, Peskin

070683 [Requirement that firearms located within a residence be kept in a locked container or secured with a trigger lock] Mayor, Supervisors Maxwell, Mirkarimi
Ordinance amending the San Francisco Police Code by adding Section 4512 to require that all handguns located within a residence be kept in a locked container or disabled with a trigger lock.

Ayes: 8 - Alioto-Pier, Ammiano, Dufty, Elsbernd, Maxwell, McGoldrick, Mirkarimi, Sandoval

070684 [Requiring dealers to inventory firearms every six months] Mayor, Supervisors Maxwell, Mirkarimi
Ordinance amending the San Francisco Police Code by amending Section 613.10 to require licensed firearms dealers to transmit to the Chief of Police an inventory of firearms every six months.

Minutes (http://www.sfgov.org/site/bdsupvrs_page.asp?id=64874) of the Board of Supervisors, July 24, 2007

SF Municipal Code (http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?sid=5&browseAllCodes=San%20Francisco) is online, but these changes are not there yet. 617 and 613.10 will be under Article 9, 4512 under Article 45.

M. Sage
08-08-2007, 4:50 PM
Yeah, they're pretty bad about updating their ordinances on the website. Last time I looked, Prop H was still on there.

Liberty1
08-08-2007, 9:01 PM
I want the exemption language for the storage requirement to share with some friends up there; ie: if you are carrying your firearm at home you don't have to lock it up. They spoke with a cop and are convinced that it must be unloaded and have a trigger lock at all times. Which is not true. I want to introduce them to holsters and quick access lock boxes but they don't believe it's legal! :(

CalNRA
08-09-2007, 12:29 AM
They've tried. Not successfully, that I've heard.

Now across and down the street, there's a spot where I'm going to bet you can buy any drugs you want... but I guess that's not the mayor's current enforcement priority.

step one: ban guns

step two: legalize weed.

step three: wait as the citizens are gradually incapacitated by said weed and won't resist governmental tyranny.

step four: money for the cronies and everyone's happy.

Did I miss anything?

Librarian
08-09-2007, 11:18 AM
I want the exemption language for the storage requirement to share with some friends up there; ie: if you are carrying your firearm at home you don't have to lock it up. They spoke with a cop and are convinced that it must be unloaded and have a trigger lock at all times. Which is not true. I want to introduce them to holsters and quick access lock boxes but they don't believe it's legal! :( .
Looks like patience is required - actual text of the ordinances seems to have been kept at the level of Public Safety Committee (Mirkarimi, Maxwell, Dufty - look familiar?). Might be available for inspection at City Hall, but I'm not going that way.

6172crew
08-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Shameless plug: If you guys re-new or sign up at the NRA booth they give you a free pass to get in to the show.

When CWS shows up at the Cow Palace its a pretty good show, they have just about any AR15/AK47 part a guy could need.:D

Keep your eye out for Iggy, he likes this show.;)