PDA

View Full Version : 2 hypothetical questions

bbbppc
12-05-2012, 6:47 PM
1. What is the law broken and the penalty for improperly transporting a handgun in a vehicle? for example locked in a container but loaded or unloaded and locked in your glovebox.

2. Are there any specific laws on what to do if you find a gun or do they follow the same laws as finding someone's lost property.

phrogg111
12-05-2012, 6:58 PM
If you find a gun, you need to turn it in. Either someone lost it, or it was used in a crime. Either way, it's not yours.

Transporting a gun? Needs to be in a locked container, unloaded. A trunk that you can't get in to without a key IS a locked container. Also, it is specifically prohibited to keep a gun in your glove box or center console, unless it's in a locked pistol case.

Read the Calguns FAQ

bbbppc
12-05-2012, 7:06 PM
If you find a gun, you need to turn it in. Either someone lost it, or it was used in a crime. Either way, it's not yours.

Transporting a gun? Needs to be in a locked container, unloaded. A trunk that you can't get in to without a key IS a locked container. Also, it is specifically prohibited to keep a gun in your glove box or center console, unless it's in a locked pistol case.

Read the Calguns FAQ

Im not asking how to properly transport a firearm. I know how. Im asking what the charge will be and penalty. Im also asking if there are any laws pertaining to finding a firearm.

Ron-Solo
12-05-2012, 7:11 PM
Im not asking how to properly transport a firearm. I know how. Im asking what the charge will be and penalty.

Loaded would be one charge, concealed another. Both misdemeanors if there is a DROS record in the name of the violator. Can be prosecuted as a felony if not that persons gun.

Im also asking if there are any laws pertaining to finding a firearm.

Misappropriation of found property is considered theft. Theft of a firearm is always considered Grand Theft, a felony.

you have some serious decisions to make. Choose wisely, your freedom and gun rights are on the line.

bbbppc
12-05-2012, 7:29 PM
you have some serious decisions to make. Choose wisely, your freedom and gun rights are on the line.

Lol I dont have any decision to make. I would never transport a firearm illegally and if I ever found a gun I would report it to the police.
I was just curious about what the actual charges would be and if there are any laws on the books about finding firearms specifically not just property.

phrogg111
12-05-2012, 7:46 PM
Well, if you find a gun, and keep it in your glove box loaded, that's two guaranteed felonies. The gun is loaded, not registered to you, and it would probay be considered stolen.

Decoligny
12-05-2012, 8:44 PM
1. What is the law broken and the penalty for improperly transporting a handgun in a vehicle? for example locked in a container but loaded or unloaded and locked in your glovebox.

2. Are there any specific laws on what to do if you find a gun or do they follow the same laws as finding someone's lost property.

Locked in a box and loaded would get you two charges. Carrying an illegally concealed firearm PC 25400 and carrying a loaded firearm PC 25850. Depending upon the exact circumstances it can be either two misdemeanors or two felonies. Up to a year in prison for each count.

Locked in the glove box unloaded would get you a charge for violating PC 25400. Again depending on the exact circumstamces either a misdemeanor or a felony. Up to a year in prison.

PC 25570 deals with transporting a found firearm to a Law Enforcement Agnecy.

Please read the PC yourself and study what it says.

Librarian
12-05-2012, 9:28 PM

1) 2 separate crimes - PC 25400 for concealed, PC 25850 loaded in public; either or both can be charged as either a felony (very likely) or a misdemeanor.

2) PC 25570 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/25570.html) says Section 25400 does not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:
(a) The transportation of a firearm by a person who finds the
firearm, if the person is transporting the firearm in order to comply
with Article 1 (commencing with Section 2080) of Chapter 4 of
Division 3 of the Civil Code as it pertains to that firearm, and, if
the person is transporting the firearm to a law enforcement agency,
the person gives prior notice to the law enforcement agency that the
person is transporting the firearm to the law enforcement agency.
(b) The transportation of a firearm by a person who finds the
firearm and is transporting it to a law enforcement agency for
disposition according to law, if the person gives prior notice to the
law enforcement agency that the person is transporting the firearm
to the law enforcement agency for disposition according to law.

Dead*Reckoned
12-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Well if we are on the topic of hypotheticals, where does one find statutes of limitations

Librarian
12-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Well if we are on the topic of hypotheticals, where does one find statutes of limitations

Starts at PC 799 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/799.html) and there are a bunch of them through 805. Be sure to have a window open on the PC to look up all the references.