PDA

View Full Version : PPT - How To?

SandHill
12-03-2012, 7:36 PM
I recently did my first transfer via a PPT in a face to face transaction. Transaction went smooth enough. After I got home, however, I relaized I didn't get copies of any of hte paperwork, only a receipt from the FFL for the gun (its a rifle). I didn't get anything showing that I had done the DROS and paid the fee. Shouldn't I have gotten something like this? Could this be a problem if a LEO after asks qustions?

I only picked it up a few days ago. Presumeably the FFl still has all the paperwork and can fax or email it to me. What specifically should I ask for. I don't have any info about the sellers. Am I entitled to a copy of the form they filled out as well, to show where the rifle came from?

Do you guys typically do a Bill of Sale when you buy a gun in a PPT? Is there a data base anywhere to check the serial number and make sure its not stolen?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

monk
12-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Straight from the CADOJ: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#19

You can ask for it from the dealer. Being that this is a long gun the DOJ wont keep the record after 30 or 60 days, someone correct me here. The only thing you might possibly want to have is the DROS (Dealer Record Of Sale). Basically has the gun's info and your info.

AFAIK there is no legal obligation to even have this paperwork, so a LEO would not ask you for it. Besides, if the gun was found stolen then it would've shown up when you did the PPT. If a LEO wants to run it for whatever ungodly reason he would also see it as stolen if it was reported.

Simply put, you can request the DROS from the FFL you did the PPT at but you don't have to.

You can also search this info int he Calguns Wiki.

mrdd
12-04-2012, 1:48 AM
You can ask for it from the dealer. Being that this is a long gun the DOJ wont keep the record after 30 or 60 days, someone correct me here. The only thing you might possibly want to have is the DROS (Dealer Record Of Sale). Basically has the gun's info and your info.

The DROS for a non-concealable firearm currently contains no identifying information about the firearm. It only contains info about about the transferee.

SandHill
12-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks, Monk, I did search for the answer but didn't find. I guess I will ask fora copy of the DROS, if for no other reason than to prove that I did DROS it.

As far the serial number showing whether it was stolen or not, the FFL told me the same thing that MRDD said - the DROS on a long gun only deals iwth buyer's background check, and they don't run the serial number. I had sort of assumed they would check for serial nubmers reported stolen.

Anyone have any ideas on whether and how I can check the serial number myself?

Librarian
12-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks, Monk, I did search for the answer but didn't find. I guess I will ask fora copy of the DROS, if for no other reason than to prove that I did DROS it.

As far the serial number showing whether it was stolen or not, the FFL told me the same thing that MRDD said - the DROS on a long gun only deals iwth buyer's background check, and they don't run the serial number. I had sort of assumed they would check for serial nubmers reported stolen.

Anyone have any ideas on whether and how I can check the serial number myself?

You can't.

So far as I am aware, only law enforcement has access to the 'reported stolen' list.

And LE would be committing a crime, and a violation of agency policy, to make that inquiry unless in connection with some kind of official business.

monk
12-04-2012, 7:33 PM
The DROS for a non-concealable firearm currently contains no identifying information about the firearm. It only contains info about about the transferee.

Ah, you guys are correct. I had handguns in the brain and got it mixed. This will change in 2014 though.