PDA

View Full Version : CA AW Permit question.

deadcoyote
12-03-2012, 3:30 PM
I know it's dumb and probably pointless, but can anybody apply for a permit? Is there a cost involved in the application process? Is this only for businesses? I ran an AVG search for "California Assault Weapon Permit" and came up with news stories etc but not what I was after. Thanks in advance.

stix213
12-03-2012, 3:35 PM
Anyone can play, few will win.

Your chances will be higher if you wait for MegaMillions to get back up to $300 million, then win, then buy a movie armorer company which will have a valid reason then for you to have an AW permit for that business.

You could also buy a small city, elect yourself mayor and the sole member of the city council, which would then let you appoint yourself as the police chief, so then you could likely get a AW permit for your rifles you now "need for work."

deadcoyote
12-03-2012, 3:43 PM
I just figured if it's free to apply, what the heck? I'll fill out some forms and wait for the big no in the mail.

Quiet
12-03-2012, 3:55 PM
I just figured if it's free to apply, what the heck? I'll fill out some forms and wait for the big no in the mail.

Fee to apply for a Dangerous Weapons Permit for an AW = $321 application fee + $32 CA DOJ fingerprint fee + $19 FBI fingerprint fee + $$ LE agency live scan fee

Annual renewal fee for one AW = $291

bwiese
12-03-2012, 4:10 PM
There's rumors that Kamala Harris' husband is a bit of a 'fixer' and that if you have an 'in' with him you can get permits.

deadcoyote
12-03-2012, 4:28 PM
I actually have a buddy who has close family ties to Feinstein, but I'd rather give satan a reach-around than go down that road.

Fatgunman
12-03-2012, 4:39 PM
Do you have to be a FFL dealer?

kaligaran
12-03-2012, 5:31 PM
What happens if you have a tax stamp for an SBR?
How does that play with CA AW laws since you're clearly under the 30" limit?

bwiese
12-03-2012, 5:48 PM
What happens if you have a tax stamp for an SBR?
How does that play with CA AW laws since you're clearly under the 30" limit?

Tax stamp == Fed NFA compliance only.

SBR status == separately regulated under both CA law vs. Fed law.

If you perchance had a Fed NFA papered (non-C&R) SBR in CA, and everything other attribute/status was
legal, you would still need CA DOJ 'dangerous weapons' paper on the gun to be legal - otherwise, you'd be
guilty of *Californai* SBR charges.

Calif. SBR law is entirely separate matter as distinguished from both Calif AW law and Fed NFA SBR law.

If the SBR were legit as SBR in CA - and were semiauto/centerfire - it would indeed be an AW if under 30"
with stock folded - and would also need separate CA AW paperwork (or grandfathering as reg'd AW).

I don't think there's much chance of getting SBRs papered in CA for ordinary folks or even LEO individuals
anymore. There are a bunch of SBRs grandfathered from when AG office was far more relaxed (80s) and
before things tightened up.

BATF will not Fed NFA paper an SBR for a CA resident [unless CA DOJ were to also SBR the gun].

kaligaran
12-03-2012, 5:50 PM
Tax stamp == Fed NFA compliance only.

SBR status == separately regulated under both CA law vs. Fed law.

If you perchance had a Fed NFA papered (non-C&R) SBR in CA, and everything else were
legal, you would still need CA DOJ 'dangerous weapons' paper on the gun to be legal -
otherwise, you'd be guilty of California SBR charges.

Thanks for the reply.

taperxz
12-03-2012, 5:52 PM
There's rumors that Kamala Harris' husband is a bit of a 'fixer' and that if you have an 'in' with him you can get permits.

Oh shucks! She is married? Maybe i can trade an AW permit for some photos.

Of the Naked Woman.

bwiese
12-03-2012, 5:55 PM
Oh shucks! She is married? Maybe i can trade an AW permit for some photos.

Of the Naked Woman.

Gene Hoffman says he won't settle for pix, he wants Firsties.

Ubermcoupe
12-03-2012, 8:04 PM
All,

As far as I know I was the first person ever in California to be denied an Assault Weapons Permit.

Here is my initial denial letter (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/AW_Permit_Denial/AW-Permit-Denial-2007-12-05.pdf).
This is my appeal (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/AW_Permit_Denial/Hoffman%20Appeal%20Ltr.%20Re_%20Dangerous%20Weapon s%20App.%20Denial.pdf).
And this is their final decision (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/AW_Permit_Denial/116121_Hoffman_C_DOJ%20denial.pdf).

This thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=107974

franklinarmory
12-04-2012, 9:26 AM
I don't think there's much chance of getting SBRs papered in CA for ordinary folks or even LEO individuals
anymore. There are a bunch of SBRs grandfathered from when AG office was far more relaxed (80s) and
before things tightened up.

BATF will not Fed NFA paper an SBR for a CA resident [unless CA DOJ were to also SBR the gun].

Bill, I know you mentioned the C&R option above, and I just want to mention that we have many of them coming available shortly. SBR & SBS! We received and sold one already (a.k.a. our test case) and now we have many more coming our way in the near future. We found a bunch of them and we're now just waiting on paperwork. In a few weeks we should have a few more available to transfer. ATF has had no problems with the C&R NFA transfers to regular Californians. The problem has been availability, and I think we have enough to satisfy those that really want one.

AK all day
12-04-2012, 9:33 AM
I would love more info Franklin armory. Not to thread jack.

franklinarmory
12-04-2012, 9:42 AM
I would love more info Franklin armory. Not to thread jack.
PM Sent, and if anyone else is interested, please send me a PM.

Interestingly enough I was talking to Jason Davis about the AWCA as it relates to semi-auto SBRs just last week, and the consensus was that an SBR in CA has to comply with the AWCA rifle AND PISTOL definitions. ...so basically it makes it impossible to run a featureless SBR. It must be bullet buttoned. :mad:

gunsmithcats
12-04-2012, 10:08 AM
What about a C&R sbr in rimfire? AW laws don't apply to rimfire correct?

franklinarmory
12-04-2012, 10:11 AM
You are correct. I neglected to think about that aspect.

deadcoyote
12-04-2012, 2:31 PM
FA, Hoffman, anybhody put whatever you want.