PDA

View Full Version : Handgun registration question?

pbreed
12-03-2012, 1:00 PM
If one was in state with legal unregistered handguns before 1990... left the weapons with family in state while living out of state and then returned to CA after 2001 would they need to register the handguns upon return?

The guns never left CA, but the owner did establish a new residence outside of CA and then returned to CA.

Is registration needed?

stix213
12-03-2012, 1:17 PM
If the guns had been left with someone else for over a decade, that may be considered a transfer, and if so would need to be transferred back.

Librarian
12-03-2012, 1:20 PM
If one was in state with legal unregistered handguns before 1990... left the weapons with family in state while living out of state and then returned to CA after 2001 would they need to register the handguns upon return?

The guns never left CA, but the owner did establish a new residence outside of CA and then returned to CA.

Is registration needed?
I'd say no, but please don't do that again.

Leaving the guns behind when you left the state might have been the best solution at the time, but to an external observer it would look as if you had transferred them to the person they were left with (probable exception for something like 'Please store this locked trunk for me - I'll be back for it.')

If there had been, theoretically, such a transfer, then there would have been a transfer back to you in 2001.

Since all of this would have taken place in CA, the CA statute of limitations would likely apply to the situation. SOL is 3 years on that kind of misdemeanor, and would have run out sometime in 2004.

pbreed
12-03-2012, 1:31 PM
Location of storage was my parents. Not that that changes the basic question.

ronlglock
12-03-2012, 2:21 PM
This is an interesting question. I kinda did the same while i was a resident overseas, but they were in a safe deposit box and only I had a key. I never even had a question about ownership.

Flintlock Tom
12-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Wait, "SOL" means "Statute of Limitations"?! Who knew?

Sorry, that's just where my mind is.

paul0660
12-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Wait, "SOL" means "Statute of Limitations"?! Who knew?

Sorry, that's just where my mind is.

On every other forum............I know what you mean.

As for the OP, probably a law was broken, and is now not.

ap3572001
12-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Is registration needed?

Its an interesting example.....

Lets look at it with realistic view. :)

Say I live in Monterey Ca. Have an old Smith and Wesson modle 66 that I bought sometime in the 80's at the store or a gun show etc.

I get a job offer in NY City and move there . The revolver is at my grandma's house in Monterey hidden somewhere.

Then I come back to Monterey in 2001 , give a big hug to grandma , go get my stuff and go to the range with it.

Who would know : That the gun was at grandma's house? Who would know HOW many guns were there? Who would know that I was not there , or was not there sometimes? Who would care ?????