PDA

View Full Version : Chokes for hunting...

River Jack
08-03-2007, 3:43 PM
I'm new to hunting and have a question about chokes. The 26" barrel I want to buy for my Rem. 870 comes with three choke tubes. Which one do I use for what. For instance, I'm planning on hunting doves this opening season. Which choke would I use (if any) for doves? I want to hunt turkey one of these days. Which choke (if any) would I use for turkey? etc...

I'm taking the hunter's safety course next Sat., so please forgive me if these are questions that will likely be covered in that class. Just consider it a little pre-class prep.

Any and all insight into chokes, hunting, etc. are greatly appreciated.

RJ

Fjold
08-03-2007, 3:57 PM
The tighter the choke the smaller the pattern at the same range or the longer the distance for the same size pattern.

Three chokes are probably Improved cylinder, Modified and Full.

Improved Cylinder is for relatively close range shooting where a load of No 8 shot will shoot a 30" pattern at approximately 20 yards.

Modified is made for shooting the same load to the same 30" pattern at around 30 yards.

Full choke would shoot the same load to a 30" pattern at around 40 yards.

Doves are normally shot with small (No. 7 1/2, 8, or 9) shot at varying distances. Having the interchangeable chokes lets you change it out to fit the flight of the birds. Start with a modified choke and if the birds are farther out switch to full. Usually people will use the improved cylinder choke for jump shooting birds like quail, etc at closer ranges.

A full choke at close range is harder to hit with because the shot is in such a tight pattern.

Use the full choke with a 4, 5 or 6 shot for turkeys as you are aiming (rather than point shooting) at a real small target, the turkey's head and neck.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-03-2007, 4:11 PM
Fjold did a great explanation.
I would use Mod for Doves, Quail, Squirrels.
Improved Cylinder For Rabbits,Chuckers.
I would use Full for turkey& Ducks Geese & Pheasants.
And before someone gets bent out of shape. This is what I use and get plenty of game.

River Jack
08-03-2007, 5:37 PM
Thanks guys! Your explanations make perfect sense. I appreciate your time and help. You guys rock!

CSACANNONEER
08-03-2007, 6:28 PM
When I hunt, I tend to shoot my game. I have found that it is really hard to catch a bird and then choke it!

River Jack
08-03-2007, 6:55 PM
When I hunt, I tend to shoot my game. I have found that it is really hard to catch a bird and then choke it!

That's not what I heard about you and your chicken! :rofl2: Just kidding! I couldn't resist!

CSACANNONEER
08-03-2007, 7:57 PM
That's not what I heard about you and your chicken! :rofl2: Just kidding! I couldn't resist!

ROTFLMAO!

awheelman357
08-03-2007, 11:23 PM
i have an 870 that i hunt with for turkeys i recomend an extra full turky choke it actually sticks out of the barrel by about 2" makes a big difference they are harder to kill than you think

randy
08-04-2007, 2:11 AM
RG you must be a great quick shot or you are shooting chukkars tied to a bush. Those things fly faster than a F14and can run faster than a top fuel dragster and do it up hill.

Chukkars/Pheasnts Mod to full choke with #6. Dove Quail mod or IC with 7.5 or 8.

At least that is what I used.

Have a great time eat what you shoot.

Good luck

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-04-2007, 8:28 AM
Randy,
Thirty years of trap makes you fast.

River Jack
08-04-2007, 8:35 AM
Again, this is all great info. Thanks a bunch, all of you.

Here are a couple more questions: I'm looking into a 26" barrel (I tend to prefer carbines). Is this long enough for hunting birds and shooting some trap/skeet? Also, which chokes from trap/sheet?

RJ

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-04-2007, 9:31 AM
26 inch barrel is fine for all you have said with chokes.
If your going to shoot Geese i would use a 30 to 42 inch barrel.
They have speical chokes for Trap and Skeet.

Vigilante
08-04-2007, 9:59 AM
For dove I use improved with 7 1/2s or 8s. This is also what most of the hunting magazines that I read suggest. I also know tons of people that shoot dove with mod and prefer it to improved. I guess you'll have to try them both and see which one you like better.

As for turkeys, use a full or go out and buy one of those super full turkey chokes like someone suggested. And just like someone else suggested, shoot the turkey in the neck/head. I body shot a tom twice at about 40 yards during the spring season this year and he just ran away.

Fjold
08-04-2007, 1:01 PM
26" barrels are great all around length.
Trap is generally shot with full, Trap1 or Trap2 (even tighter) chokes.
Skeet is generally shot with very open chokes, start with Improved cylinder and work down to Skeet1 or Skeet2 (more open)chokes.

stator
08-05-2007, 2:32 PM
If this is a 12ga. 870 you are talking about, either use another smaller gauge shotgun or don't go dove hunting. A center hit with a modified choke using 12ga. loaded with 1oz of 8 shot would not leave anything to eat.

I would suggest only shooting animals if you can get a quality eat out of it, or it is a survival situation. There is too little game and too many hunters in CA to shoot game otherwise.

River Jack
08-05-2007, 2:59 PM
If this is a 12ga. 870 you are talking about, either use another smaller gauge shotgun or don't go dove hunting. A center hit with a modified choke using 12ga. loaded with 1oz of 8 shot would not leave anything to eat.

I would suggest only shooting animals if you can get a quality eat out of it, or it is a survival situation. There is too little game and too many hunters in CA to shoot game otherwise.

I shot my 2-day limit in AZ last year using a 12 ga. and never had any issues with the quality of the meat. There was plenty of tasty meat (for a dove anyhow) to enjoy. Sure there was a couple times I bit down on a little bb but who hasn't? And, what difference does it make if I'm using a Remington 870 as opposed to any other type of 12 ga?

Don't get me wrong here, I know what you are saying and appreciate the advice...I really do. Unfortunately, at this time, however, I don't have the luxury of acquiring another smaller caliber shotgun, so my 12 ga is all I've got.

What are the lightest loads I can get?

Vigilante
08-06-2007, 7:20 PM

I've got to say that I disagree with this entire comment

sargenv
08-06-2007, 7:59 PM
I dunno, my standard load for Dove has been a 3 1/4 dram - 1 1/8 ounce load of 7.5's for many years. Sure I can use an ounce of 8's, but I like the ability to reach out a bit farther when it is needed. I generally choke Improved for Dove but had used Modified when my standard load was 1 1/8 of 8's at 1200 fps. I find that the more open choke with harder shot seems to work better than cheapie promo loads with the tighter choke. But that's just me.

The idea that there is no game for hunting and only enough for a survival situation leads me to believe that you just don't know what you are doing or don't have access to land to hunt on. There is plenty of game out there otherwise there would be no hunting seasons and generous bag limits as there are now.