PDA

View Full Version : Phenix or G Loomis?

geedavell
12-02-2012, 3:40 PM
The wife wants to buy me one for Christmas. I have no experience with neither.
Looking for ultra light trout rod. Anyone out there have one?

64ssking
12-02-2012, 3:58 PM
phenix 8' one piece 2-4lb class is the way to go

boomer135
12-02-2012, 5:05 PM
Honestly look at the rods from TFO... When Gary Loomis sold the company he paired up with Temple Fork Outfitters, sells his designs much cheaper through TFO

geedavell
12-02-2012, 5:17 PM
TFO? I'll google that.

Rickycg
12-02-2012, 8:23 PM
i have both gloomis is the way to go i have owned 3 iron feathers and they all broke 2 inches from the tip but never had a problem with any other phinex rods

castgold
12-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Whether a factory wrapped rod or a custom wrap, I'd go for the Phenix over the current GLoomis rods/blanks.

The only Loomis rods I have that were wrapped on-spline are the long-discontinued Salt Water Series blanks. You'd be lucky to find any that are wrapped with the spline in line with the action. All the Phenix rods I've pulled on and fished are factory wrapped with the guides wrapped on-spline or close to it. I've talked to Jeff (head of Phenix) a few times and he takes details very seriously. They're right off the 605 in Cerritos which is a plus, although I've never had a problem with their products that would require me to see them.

Phenix has some pretty nice materials that get good tip pressure while still being parabolic across a range of line classes. I have no financial stake in Phenix Rods, but for now, all my future build plans will be either Phenix or United Composites.

For light stuff, you might want to also consider St. Croix and Rainshadow.

geedavell
12-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Can you go to their shop in Cerritos to look and buy from them or only through dealers?

boar308
12-03-2012, 5:08 PM
i have both gloomis is the way to go i have owned 3 iron feathers and they all broke 2 inches from the tip but never had a problem with any other phinex rods

For the guys that are hard on the iron feathers….. Phenix made a new top section that is suppose to stand up to fisherman abuse. I have owned several rods from both manufactures, and can say phenix has the best rod on the market for throwing mini jigs. (a very productive way of catching trout) It all depends on what style of fishing your doing. I personally like phenix rods.

sfbay
12-03-2012, 5:46 PM
Try an Orvis fly rod... pure awesomeness and you'll never look back!

Kelster1574
12-03-2012, 7:35 PM
I have a couple Gloomis.....good stuff but check out Dobyns Rods. Designed for "bass" fishing but I have found some of there dropshot rods work great for trout.

ScottB
12-03-2012, 8:07 PM
The wife wants to buy me one for Christmas. I have no experience with neither.
Looking for ultra light trout rod. Anyone out there have one?

Go up to Bob Marriots in Fullerton. 8K square feet of fly fishing nirvana. See what works for you. I have a G Loomis 4 piece 5 wt and I love it.

boomer135
12-03-2012, 8:35 PM
I used to have a good deal set up with them when I was running with a nonprofit org, and networking w/Florida Charter captains. Since I moved I don't have the capability any longer. Although I still use their flyrods, and spinning gear. Its tough to beat that quality for the price.

TFO? I'll google that.

Horton Fenty
12-04-2012, 6:20 AM
TFO? I'll google that.

I have Orvis, Sage, and TFO rods. TFO is the best value rod out there imho. The BVK series is awesome. I have an 8wt TFO BVK for salmon/steelhead at the moment and will eventually buy a 5wt to replace my Orvis.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/rods/bvk-series.html

stphnman20
12-04-2012, 6:27 AM
I never tried a G Loomis rod before so i'm a bit bias. I do however have a Phenix Elixir 8' 1-6wt rod with 2lb test on it. Love this piece of gear! I also have a Fenwick Elite tech river run. Another great lightweight gear for trout.

geedavell
12-05-2012, 3:44 PM
I was looking at the Phenix rods again and I noticed the 2 piece rods with the straight grip break down about 18" from the butt where the "split grip" breaks down about half the length of the rod. Seams much easier to pack the one that breaks in half. Any disadvantages to this one?

gibbygoo
12-07-2012, 8:22 PM
spinning?

1meanchevy
12-07-2012, 8:54 PM
Try an Orvis fly rod... pure awesomeness and you'll never look back!
+1 ... I will be buried with my Helios, i love it.However it will not stand up to electric truck windows.:facepalm: free lifetime repairs or replacement