PDA

View Full Version : Placer County Online Appointment delays

cdpar2000
12-02-2012, 4:31 PM
I want to simply add a firearm to my current CCW (granted in Placer county). Their online appointment system indicates the next available open appointment is July 25th!!!

Does it seem reasonable to take 8 months to simply add a firearm to an existing CCW?

Thanks for any feedback.

regards,

CP2000

wildhawker
12-02-2012, 4:38 PM
No, it is not reasonable.

-Brandon

CitaDeL
12-02-2012, 4:49 PM
I want to simply add a firearm to my current CCW (granted in Placer county). Their online appointment system indicates the next available open appointment is July 25th!!!

Does it seem reasonable to take 8 months to simply add a firearm to an existing CCW?

Thanks for any feedback.

regards,

CP2000

No. Since you already have a LTC the process of adding a firearm should take about 20 minutes.

Question; Is this appointment system for the application process or is this something you havent yet called the Sheriffs office about, that might be handled without registering for an appointment?

Anti-Hero
12-02-2012, 4:59 PM
Took me almost 2 months when I added a new pistol, and almost 4 months to get my renewal appt. My LTC expired at the end of oct. and my appt is the middle of jan. :(

CitaDeL
12-02-2012, 5:06 PM
Took me almost 2 months when I added a new pistol, and almost 4 months to get my renewal appt. My LTC expired at the end of oct. and my appt is the middle of jan. :(

Seems to me that this might be to discourage making any changes once you are issued a license.

All one should need to do is bring your $10, the handgun you wish to add to your license (in a locked case) and be patient enough to wait your turn.

cdpar2000
12-02-2012, 7:31 PM
Hello everyone, thanks for your replies to my question. I plan to call the Sheriff's office Monday to see about speeding up / simplifying the renewal process.

OK, ready for this? Given the appointment delays, I see my CCW expires in 2014. Not wanting it to lapse, I went back to the Placer county appointment system and was able to schedule a CCW renewal in May! This is two months quicker than the simple CCW modify to add a firearm date I was given! geez.

CitaDeL
12-02-2012, 7:49 PM
Hello everyone, thanks for your replies to my question. I plan to call the Sheriff's office Monday to see about speeding up / simplifying the renewal process.

OK, ready for this? Given the appointment delays, I see my CCW expires in 2014. Not wanting it to lapse, I went back to the Placer county appointment system and was able to schedule a CCW renewal in May! This is two months quicker than the simple CCW modify to add a firearm date I was given! geez.

That is not an improvement.

While it is less time on the calendar, the initial license takes more time due to the background check and interview process. You are doing a simple amendment, which should take only the time to make the changes on your license.

If you move to a new address within the county, are you supposed to wait six months on a list so the license shows your correct address? Is that what the S/O would want?

What if you sold one of the weapons on the license? What if the listed weapons are broken, lost or stolen? How can you have a carry license with a weapon you no longer possess? The license is useless without a carry weapon... and in my view, this is as good as being denied.

Im answering some of my own questions here....From the website... http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/CCWPermits.aspx

What is the process to modify any information on your CCW Permit?
A current permit holder would need to make modifications to an existing permit for the following reasons:

*Recently moved and still live within Placer County. You have 10 days after you move to modify your CCW permit with your new address.
*Recently moved and live outside Placer County
*Add, drop, or change weapon on existing permit. Please note, when adding a gun to an existing permit you must have proof of proficiency and/or qualification must be submitted for the new weapon.

To modify your permit you will need to complete the DOJ Modification form Modification Form and schedule a "Modify Permit” appointment via our online appointment system. Online Appointment System There will be a $5 charge for each CCW Permit modifications, payment made payable to “Placer County Sheriff’s Office”. Please note, when adding a gun to your permit proof of proficiency and/or qualification must be submitted

So, they want the address change done in ten days. I think it might be safe to say they could change a weapon in that timetable too. Also of note, they want you to requalify with the new weapon.

cdpar2000
12-03-2012, 9:00 PM
Hello friends, here is an update regarding CCW appointment delays. I did contact Placer county sheriff, a 6-8 month future appointment for a new CCW, CCW renewal or simply adding another handgun is now the norm due to the demand. If you dial the the Placer County CCW phone number it does mention exceptions (you can prove your life is in danger and you must have a CCW to protect yourself; stalkers, spousal abuse, etc). If your CCW is going to expire within 8 months, I suggest you lock in an appointment date to renew. I did offer to volunteer a few hours per week to assist the Sheriff process simple CCW renewals or modifications. I doubt they'll be open to that suggestions. Best of luck!