PDA

View Full Version : FHL Meat Pigs

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Myself and a Maidendeath13 headed out to FHL this weekend in search of some meat pigs. We drove into TA-7 and decided to park and hump the rest of the way. The roads were real bad and neither of us wanted to chance getting stuck.

We picked up some tracks and followed them until we spotted the two hogs we were tracking rooting on a hillside. The conditions allowed us to stock to within 50 yds and take the pigs while earning the coveted title of Hunter with our first DIY hogs. No guide fees for these guys.

It was a good day.

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 11:38 AM

Nasty Nate

jvidanes
12-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Congrats guys!!! I haven't been there in a while but Area 6 and 7 are my favorite spots.

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 11:41 AM

Nasty Nate

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Congrats guys!!! I haven't been there in a while but Area 6 and 7 are my favorite spots.

Thanks. Looks like we are neighbors, we should KIT and let each other know when either of us are going up again, it's a haul from out here, it would be nice to have someone to split gas and driving with.

lewdogg21
12-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Great job nate. Glad to see people killing stuff in here instead of just arguing about ethics and DFG rules.

what's the specs on your AR?

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Great job nate. Glad to see people killing stuff in here instead of just arguing about ethics and DFG rules.

what's the specs on your AR?

Thanks LD, I'm trying to get like you man. I'm still waiting for someone to point out that my kill isn't tagged for the pic! That's a Remington R25 chambered in .308. I Just picked it up from another CG'er, it's stock with the exception of a BCG charging handle and the Leuopold VX-R 3-9x40. She's a beast and packs a whallop!

ching
12-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Very nice rifle. How much does your setup weigh?

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 12:20 PM
I haven't weighed it actually but if I were to guess, I would say right around 10 lbs with the optic. I have a bipod for it, but have yet to mount it. I shoot mostly from the sitting position and the weight and length of this rifle doesn't do well in the sitting so I figured with a bipod, I can take prone shots on game.

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Remington lists this as weighing 8.75 lbs outta the box.

lewdogg21
12-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Nate- pieeater actually called me to point out you don't have it tagged. We then argued for 25 minutes about the merits of the timing of the tagging, the law, the interpretation of the law, and if tomatoes should be pronounced "toe-may-to"or "toe-mah-to" before I hung up on him. :)

bambklr
12-02-2012, 12:27 PM
I have yet to kill a pig so my question is how much did your pigs weigh? And congrats on your luck and harvest

Mr. Gillious
12-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Myself and a Maidendeath13 headed out to FHL this weekend in search of some meat pigs. We drove into TA-7 and decided to park and hump the rest of the way. The roads were real bad and neither of us wanted to chance getting stuck.

We picked up some tracks and followed them until we spotted the two hogs we were tracking rooting on a hillside. The conditions allowed us to stock to within 50 yds and take the pigs while earning the coveted title of Hunter with our first DIY hogs. No guide fees for these guys.

It was a good day.

Very nice! I'll be going to FHL right before Christmas eve. Hope I harvest something good

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Nate- pieeater actually called me to point out you don't have it tagged. We then argued for 25 minutes about the merits of the timing of the tagging, the law, the interpretation of the law, and if tomatoes should be pronounced "toe-may-to"or "toe-mah-to" before I hung up on him. :)

Unbelievable! Some people need lives.

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 12:38 PM
I have yet to kill a pig so my question is how much did your pigs weigh? And congrats on your luck and harvest

I didn't get an official weight on it. I would guess right aroud 50-60 lbs before dressing and about 45 lbs or so dressed and skinned. I wasn't out for a big, ugly boar, only wanted something that I could roast whole. I hear the little guys taste better. We'll see.

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Very nice! I'll be going to FHL right before Christmas eve. Hope I harvest something good

GL, that place is crawling with game. Put in the work and you should be good. If rookies like me and MD can do it then so can you.

Dirty dirt
12-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Nate congrats on a public land harvest! How does the copper rounds shoot out the AR? Do you have to re sight the scope when switching between lead and copper or is it pretty close? Thanks

Hot Holster
12-02-2012, 1:01 PM
That's a lot of work and a lot of walking you guys did, good job.

spectr17
12-02-2012, 1:02 PM
Nate, congrats on a fine brace of hawgs. I should have gone with you, gah!!! Gonna be up there Christmas break, the whole holiday week they are open. Was that your first trip to FHL? Not many get hogs on first time there. I put Westy on a hog the first 2 trips and he ended up 3 for 4 on his first 4 trips and the only reason he wasn't 4 for 4 was he missed a monster boar in 13E standing right off the trail at 50 yds. Didn't check his shotgun scope zero.

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 1:08 PM
Nate congrats on a public land harvest! How does the copper rounds shoot out the AR? Do you have to re sight the scope when switching between lead and copper or is it pretty close? Thanks

That's a lot of work and a lot of walking you guys did, good job.

We def worked for these. We humped about 5 mi total in soft, wet clay, mud with waterlogged boots, packs and soaked that probably added another 30lbs easily. Not to mention the last half was with 60 lb hogs on our backs. We earned each oz of these harvests.

Thanks DD, I have only zeroed and fired Winchester Razorback XT loads outta the AR10 so I dunno how it shoots lead. I'll let you know once I have had a chance. I suspect it would be pretty much the same but maybe some minor adjustments for different loads.

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 1:14 PM
Nate, congrats on a fine brace of hawgs. I should have gone with you, gah!!! Gonna be up there Christmas break, the whole holiday week they are open. Was that your first trip to FHL? Not many get hogs on first time there. I put Westy on a hog the first 2 trips and he ended up 3 for 4 on his first 4 trips and the only reason he wasn't 4 for 4 was he missed a monster boar in 13E standing right off the trail at 50 yds. Didn't check his shotgun scope zero.

Thanks Jesse. I'll hunt with you anytime, you just let me know. This was my first trip, yes. Beginners luck maybe? I did get some actionable intel from XD, L2H and Map. They were pretty much right on with it so that helped a lot. I wish I could do Christmas week but I already know the wife isn't gonna be having that. My next trip to FHl will likely be sometime in March, let's set something up.

chicoredneck
12-02-2012, 1:24 PM
Nicely done. Good to see people out there hunting with AR's. Too bad it's an AR10 and not a 15, but nobody is perfect! ;)

spectr17
12-02-2012, 1:25 PM
Nate, you worked for them hawgs so part luck and part hard work, that mud is nasty. It also really helps to pair up or get help from the hunters that know FHL. I know one famous CA hog writer who claims every time I see him that there are no hogs at FHL to hunt. I think he does what many do and drives and walks in areas that just don't hold pigs. OTOH, I've seen pigs just driving to and from my TA. L2H and XD are about the best I've seen at FHL for wacking pigs consistently, they know their stuff.

Prez holiday weekend we do an annual hunt too, Feb 11th I think it is this year. 3 days of fun, try to make that one too.

Mr. Gillious
12-02-2012, 1:43 PM
GL, that place is crawling with game. Put in the work and you should be good. If rookies like me and MD can do it then so can you.

Damn I can't wait. Just curious, what else did you see out there besides your pig? Coyote, rabbits, etc?

I'd like to know so I know which guns to bring.

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 2:08 PM
Nate, you worked for them hawgs so part luck and part hard work, that mud is nasty. It also really helps to pair up or get help from the hunters that know FHL. I know one famous CA hog writer who claims every time I see him that there are no hogs at FHL to hunt. I think he does what many do and drives and walks in areas that just don't hold pigs. OTOH, I've seen pigs just driving to and from my TA. L2H and XD are about the best I've seen at FHL for wacking pigs consistently, they know their stuff.

Prez holiday weekend we do an annual hunt too, Feb 11th I think it is this year. 3 days of fun, try to make that one too.

I'll be there for that. I have 5 kids at home, the youngest is a NB and the oldest 10. My chances to slip away are very limited but have struck a deal with wifey that allows me 1 hunt/quarter. I'm sure I could work it out so that I could get up there for 2/11/2013.

This time, I'll bring an AK.

Damn I can't wait. Just curious, what else did you see out there besides your pig? Coyote, rabbits, etc?

I'd like to know so I know which guns to bring.

We didn't cover much ground yesterday but the TA I was in, I saw rabbits, squirrels, deer, lots of yote and cat signs but no sightings. I'd bring a rifle and a shotgun for starters and a bow if you have it.

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 2:12 PM
Nicely done. Good to see people out there hunting with AR's. Too bad it's an AR10 and not a 15, but nobody is perfect! ;)

My AR15 is chambered in .223 and although, I could probably drop a hog with that, it would take a very well placed shot in the head as I don't have confidence that .223 would penetrate their gristle plate. Although the AR10 is heavy, .308 will drop anything that I plan to hunt, including bear, where the 6.8 effectiveness on game leaves a lot to be desired. It was either a .308 bolt action or SA, the SA won because of the ability for faster follow up shots.

Full Clip
12-02-2012, 2:22 PM
Nice work. Jealous!!! :D

rooster85
12-02-2012, 2:36 PM
Where's your tag at nate? I better gripe and lecture you now. Lol. Good kill bud, bummer I couldn't make it out. Did you end up staying one more day? I got your call late last night, been busy today too. I'll call you in a bit man. Congrats again.

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 3:09 PM
I split aftetwards. I was beat. Wish you could of made it out. Lets slay some yotes before you split.

Nasty Nate

Bowhunter_619
12-02-2012, 3:24 PM
Nice Job Nate. I haven't made it up to FHL yet although I got the permit, I had to buy it when applying for the elk hunt.

chicoredneck
12-02-2012, 4:02 PM
My AR15 is chambered in .223 and although, I could probably drop a hog with that, it would take a very well placed shot in the head as I don't have confidence that .223 would penetrate their gristle plate. Although the AR10 is heavy, .308 will drop anything that I plan to hunt, including bear, where the 6.8 effectiveness on game leaves a lot to be desired. It was either a .308 bolt action or SA, the SA won because of the ability for faster follow up shots.

Nastynate,

I was making a joke because I sell AR15's specifically for hunting. Nothing wrong with your rifle. I agree with you. The way I see it, why shoot a bolt action when we now can produce semi-autos that are just as precise. Modern semi-autos offer everything a bolt action can and more.

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 4:11 PM
LB?

Nasty Nate

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 4:12 PM
Nice Job Nate. I haven't made it up to FHL yet although I got the permit, I had to buy it when applying for the elk hunt.

LB?

Nastynate,

I was making a joke because I sell AR15's specifically for hunting. Nothing wrong with your rifle. I agree with you. The way I see it, why shoot a bolt action when we now can produce semi-autos that are just as precise. Modern semi-autos offer everything a bolt action can and more.

Yeah, I just got that when I saw your sig.

Nasty Nate

DeanW66
12-02-2012, 4:30 PM
good job and congrats, I'm jealous!

SexPistol
12-02-2012, 5:56 PM
Nice! Looks like about the size of the one I took a few weeks ago! Perfect eating size! After aging for a week he should yield about 20lbs of meat.

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 6:22 PM
Not from this pig but from my last pig.

Pork ribs and bullet holes.
Nasty Nate

bigbossman
12-02-2012, 7:11 PM
Nice pigs, and you sure worked for them! I used to hunt there pretty frequently, until my hunting buddy up and moved out of state several years ago.

You made a good choice on hiking in - I once got my 4x4 Power Wagon stuck pretty good in that gumbo. It looks deceiving, like it's no big deal - hen your tires get packed up with it and they turn into slicks.

I miss hunting pigs there, and just now joined this forum in part to investigate pig hunting opportunities. I live up in San Ramon, so if anyone is close and wants to team up to hunt some pigs, I'm your guy. :)

spectr17
12-02-2012, 7:36 PM
You know a rookie isn't properly broke in at FHL until your frame deep in mud on an off camber hillside with a 200 ft straight down drop and the forecast is heavy rain all weekend.

Just sayin.

NastyNate
12-02-2012, 8:00 PM
Nice pigs, and you sure worked for them! I used to hunt there pretty frequently, until my hunting buddy up and moved out of state several years ago.

You made a good choice on hiking in - I once got my 4x4 Power Wagon stuck pretty good in that gumbo. It looks deceiving, like it's no big deal - hen your tires get packed up with it and they turn into slicks.

I miss hunting pigs there, and just now joined this forum in part to investigate pig hunting opportunities. I live up in San Ramon, so if anyone is close and wants to team up to hunt some pigs, I'm your guy. :)

That's exactly what was happening and what made us stop. We were both in 4WD trucks but even in 4 hi, I was sliding all over the place. I had been warned extensively by those more experienced at FHL about getting stuck. I didn't wanna spend my trip digging myself out so we made the command decision to hump in and out.

If I'm ever in your area, I'll take you up on your offer. I welcome every opportunity to hunt with new guys, you can learn something from every one.

You know a rookie isn't properly broke in at FHL until your frame deep in mud on an off camber hillside with a 200 ft straight down drop and the forecast is heavy rain all weekend.

Just sayin.

I'll wear that rookie title with pride then. I'd rather walk 5 mi with 90 #s of waterlog and dead hog on my back then spend 4 hours digging myself out of something that could have been avoided in the first place. Getting stuck is no fun and neither is spending $200 for a rescue or asking others to help you dig yourself out because you didn't take heed to the warnings issued to you.

That said, I'm sure that I will eventually get stuck. I'll get more confident each time as I get to know the roads and one day find myself buried in soft sand asking other JHO'ers to help in digging so I don't have to drop $200 on a tow truck. I'll avoid that as long as I can though.

RaymondMillbrae
12-03-2012, 12:41 AM
If I may...next time bring rope or heavy zip ties.

What you need to do is tie the left rear and front legs together, and then tie the right rear and front legs together. Then sling that puppy on your back like a hog back pack.

Thank me next time you get yourself a hawg. ;)

In Christ: Raymond

vega
12-03-2012, 8:00 AM
Congrats on your kills!

wicked liquid
12-03-2012, 8:31 AM
Good lookin hogs buddy! Congrats!

nothing4u
12-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Congrats.

NastyNate
12-03-2012, 6:32 PM
If I may...next time bring rope or heavy zip ties.

What you need to do is tie the left rear and front legs together, and then tie the right rear and front legs together. Then sling that puppy on your back like a hog back pack.

Thank me next time you get yourself a hawg. ;)

In Christ: Raymond

Thanks for that tip. I tried this but was already wearing a pack and no matter how I rigged it couldn't seem to distribute the load properly to hump the distance out.

Congrats on your kills!

Good lookin hogs buddy! Congrats!

Congrats.

Thanks fellas!

dust feeder
12-03-2012, 8:45 PM
Congrats on the kills! I saw your posts ove on jessee's too and want to hear the story. How'd you get 'em? Two quick shots or out of two seperate groups?

NastyNate
12-03-2012, 8:52 PM
Thanks DF. We picked up their tracks on Jolon Rd, it wondered off onto a small trail that led to a reservoir spillway. We spotted two hogs, rooting on the hillside about 150 yds out. We stalked to within 50-75 yds right up to a fallen oak tree that we could use as a bench rest. The rain made it real easy to get close without being heard or winded. Got settled for a shot and harvested some bacon.
We then humped them out in the mud, with waterlogged packs and muddy boots all the way back. We worked hard for these ones but well worth it. I think a bunch of JHO'ers went up to FHL last weekend but as far as I know, we were the only ones that scored. Beginners luck I guess. Just glad me and MD both got our first DIY hawgs. No guide fees for these guys!

spectr17
12-03-2012, 8:54 PM
I'll wear that rookie title with pride then. I'd rather walk 5 mi with 90 #s of waterlog and dead hog on my back then spend 4 hours digging myself out of something that could have been avoided in the first place. Getting stuck is no fun and neither is spending $200 for a rescue or asking others to help you dig yourself out because you didn't take heed to the warnings issued to you.

That said, I'm sure that I will eventually get stuck. I'll get more confident each time as I get to know the roads and one day find myself buried in soft sand asking other JHO'ers to help in digging so I don't have to drop $200 on a tow truck. I'll avoid that as long as I can though.

You did right Nate, as you noticed, not many are willing to hike in like that in the rain at FHL. Many times you'll be the only ones in the interior of a TA with no one around. That also can work against if you do drive in and get stuck, there's no one around to help. Got my Warne rings on order for the new SAvage bolt .20 ga. Can't wait to pattern that dude and get ready for FHL.

One of the 2 biggest boars I've seen taken at FHL was in 7, 300 lbs on the scale at the shack. Dude shot right behind me right before dark, blew one tusk off. He was so close to me I hopped behind an oak tree just in case. I could hear the hog feeding but never knew this hunter was even there. He killed it with 2nd shot. He looked for the blown off tusk but never found it.

There was cougar running around in there a couple years back so be careful, haven't heard or seen him since but ya never know. He stalked Pete right at dark one night, he just had his bow and his glasses fogged up on him. lol. Boy was shaking when he go to the truck.

Also, just so you know, when you look north from the north end of 7 that is Native Hunt property, it's a fenced in hunting ranch with wild boar and sheep in there. I've heard some guys have taken a shot across that valley not knowing where the boundary fence is. It sure looks great when you see the black dots on the hills over that way but be careful on the north end and seeing hogs across that meadow on the hills above.

Now your challenge is to beat Westy's 3 for 3 on his first 3 trips on hogs at FHL.

NastyNate
12-03-2012, 9:27 PM
I'm not afraid of a little walking. Pack, rifle, forced march - it's like old times again but more fun. Thanks for the tips on the boundaries and the cat. I've heard some nasty stories about those things. I haven't graduated to bow yet so hopefully if I do run into one, I'll have my rifle and pistol to deal with the threat.

I'm up for that challenge. Maybe I can set a record on JHO and then I'll never have to worry about finding hunting partners. Save me some gas money and driving time!

NastyNate
12-03-2012, 9:28 PM
You gonna run that Savage .20 Ga for the Pres Day FHL Hunt?

shooterbill
12-03-2012, 9:38 PM
Congrats. Give me a call next time. I would be down to go and pick up a little bacon.

NastyNate
12-03-2012, 9:47 PM
Thanks Bill. I'm headed back up there for the JHO Pres Day FHL hunt next year. We can carpool. It'll save $ on gas and driving time. I've been challenged to go 3/3 on my first 3 trips to FHL so I hope you're up for some hiking bud.

outbrakeridah
12-04-2012, 5:56 AM
You did right Nate, as you noticed, not many are willing to hike in like that in the rain at FHL. Many times you'll be the only ones in the interior of a TA with no one around. That also can work against if you do drive in and get stuck, there's no one around to help. Got my Warne rings on order for the new SAvage bolt .20 ga. Can't wait to pattern that dude and get ready for FHL.

One of the 2 biggest boars I've seen taken at FHL was in 7, 300 lbs on the scale at the shack. Dude shot right behind me right before dark, blew one tusk off. He was so close to me I hopped behind an oak tree just in case. I could hear the hog feeding but never knew this hunter was even there. He killed it with 2nd shot. He looked for the blown off tusk but never found it.

There was cougar running around in there a couple years back so be careful, haven't heard or seen him since but ya never know. He stalked Pete right at dark one night, he just had his bow and his glasses fogged up on him. lol. Boy was shaking when he go to the truck.

Also, just so you know, when you look north from the north end of 7 that is Native Hunt property, it's a fenced in hunting ranch with wild boar and sheep in there. I've heard some guys have taken a shot across that valley not knowing where the boundary fence is. It sure looks great when you see the black dots on the hills over that way but be careful on the north end and seeing hogs across that meadow on the hills above.

Now your challenge is to beat Westy's 3 for 3 on his first 3 trips on hogs at FHL.

That Savage will do you good. I got one too and the groupings I got on it were tight as can be. I posted some results over at JHO. I might be doing the pres. weekend hunt too. The cougar in 7 is probably still in there because the last time I was there was during deer season and I still saw tracks.

bigbossman
12-04-2012, 2:40 PM
Thanks for that tip. I tried this but was already wearing a pack and no matter how I rigged it couldn't seem to distribute the load properly to hump the distance out.

I once killed a 120lb junior boar at the bottom of Dinosaur Point (by the San Luis Reservoir off of Hwy 152). Had to move him uphill for a mile or so to get back to the car, and even after gutting him beforehand at the bottom of the canyon it took me over 2 hours to drag him up that hill.

No way I was going to shoulder 120lbs of dead weight for an uphill climb, so I looped rope around both hocks and dragged him out on his back. After being dragged all that way over rocks, logs, and other assorted debris, there wasn't so much as a hair out of place on his hide.

Pigs are tough - even when they're dead. :) So now I just drag 'em anywhere they need to be. They don't seem to mind, and you don't damage them in the slightest.

spectr17
12-04-2012, 6:14 PM
That Savage will do you good. I got one too and the groupings I got on it were tight as can be. I posted some results over at JHO. I might be doing the pres. weekend hunt too. The cougar in 7 is probably still in there because the last time I was there was during deer season and I still saw tracks.

I'll go check out your results, thanks. I saw on Randy Wakeman's site he posted some 3" groups at 200 yds. I'm hoping for close to that. THat's impressive for a shotgun with that kind of range.

Word is there is a short cut to training area 7 instead of taking the long way around through 6 and 3 to get to 7. On Mission Rd just past the Hacienda take the first dirt road on right, it's right before the bridge. That will get you over to Sulphor SPrings Rd above the new locked gate by cantonment. It's a fairly flat road and shoudn't be that nasty in the rain.

180ls1
12-04-2012, 6:29 PM
Very nice and thanks for the report with pictures! Nice truck too, i wish i could afford one of those, i love the 07+ tundra.

ADAM
12-04-2012, 8:19 PM
great job man,love those picks hard hunting pays off,I am heading up there after new year,taking the wife to big horn ranch this Sunday she wants to (shoot) pig.

outbrakeridah
12-05-2012, 5:04 AM
I'll go check out your results, thanks. I saw on Randy Wakeman's site he posted some 3" groups at 200 yds. I'm hoping for close to that. THat's impressive for a shotgun with that kind of range.

Word is there is a short cut to training area 7 instead of taking the long way around through 6 and 3 to get to 7. On Mission Rd just past the Hacienda take the first dirt road on right, it's right before the bridge. That will get you over to Sulphor SPrings Rd above the new locked gate by cantonment. It's a fairly flat road and shoudn't be that nasty in the rain.

Yea I know about that road. But my truck doesnt do too good in the mud so I won't chance it. I would probably just go inside the base and park at the gate and walk in on Sulphur Springs.

I have yet to test at 200. I'm waiting to see how it does at that range too.

mojack99
12-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Cool story. PIg hunting for the first time is on my list for 2013

kalguns
12-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Nice work!

NastyNate
12-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Very nice and thanks for the report with pictures! Nice truck too, i wish i could afford one of those, i love the 07+ tundra.

Thanks. I love this truck! I just put a dual exhaust system on it.

great job man,love those picks hard hunting pays off,I am heading up there after new year,taking the wife to big horn ranch this Sunday she wants to (shoot) pig.

Nothing ever worthwhile comes easy. GL tomorrow!

Cool story. PIg hunting for the first time is on my list for 2013

Careful now, you're gonna catch the hog fever.

Nice work!

Thanks!

ADAM
12-09-2012, 6:01 PM
she got one 95 lb she is super happy she got him with AR 5.56 100yds

NastyNate
12-09-2012, 9:07 PM
she got one 95 lb she is super happy she got him with AR 5.56 100yds

Congrats to you and her bud. Looks like you got yourself a new hunting partner now!