PDA

View Full Version : Should I register or is it too late?

TJordan2011
12-02-2012, 11:47 AM
My family and I have been living in California since 2004.

I have a 1961 High Standard sentinel .22 revolver that has stayed in my family since initial purchase.

I have a 1960 remington automaster model 878 that has stayed in my family since initial purchase.

I also have a M9, (1993 Taurus PT 99 AFS 9mm handgun) in my possession. This was gifted to my dad in 2005 from his friend from the east coast upon returning from OIF. I am 100% sure there was no documented/official exchange.

Oviously the M9 has to have something done. I am not sure about the pros and cons for registering the shotgun and the .22 revolver.

Which guns should I register and how should I register them? The tricky problem is I am age 19. I already have my HSC, but my dad does not if that matters. I am aware that a father can pass guns down to his son.

M. D. Van Norman
12-02-2012, 12:05 PM
You’ll need to register the handguns as intrafamilial transfers. The shotgun doesn’t have to be registered. The proper form is available from the DOJ, which is linked from the Calguns homepage.

TJordan2011
12-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Do I have to get my Dad to take the HSC test? Do I also have to involve the person who gave my dad the 9mm illegally?

Quiet
12-02-2012, 12:19 PM
This was gifted to my dad in 2005 from his friend from the east coast upon returning from OIF. I am 100% sure there was no documented/official exchange.

Since 1968, Federal laws prohibit the transfer of firearms between residents of different states unless the transfer is done through a FFL dealer in the recipiant's state of residence. There is no gift exemption to the Federal laws.

Dad = resident
Dad's friend = non-resident

Dad's friend committed a Federal felony for giving the handgun to your dad. [18 USC 922 (a)(5)]
Your dad committed a Federal felony for accepting the handgun from his friend. [18 USC 922 (a)(3)]

In order to be a legal transfer under Federal laws, the firearm needs to be transferred from your Dad's friend to your Dad through a CA FFL dealer.