PDA

View Full Version : Another good book for your SHTF collection - The Remaining

olhunter
12-02-2012, 9:49 AM
Stumbled across this while searching for more 'end of the world' books.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Remaining-ebook/dp/B0070B0JW6

It's a really decent zombie-apocalypse/survival book that is well written and believable. I usually avoid non-mainstream books, but this one was worth my time. There are three books and you need to read them in order. I would suggest getting all three at once because once you get started, it's really hard to stop. They're that good.

'The Remaining''
'The Remaining - Aftermath'
'The Remaining - Refugees'

It's only available in Kindle format, but there are tools for converting if you have a Sony or other non-Kindle reader.

speedrrracer
12-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. Got the first two, they're in the queue...gives me some time to find Refugees...

BlairB
12-02-2012, 5:33 PM
Read the first two and didn't realize the 3rd was out. Good read!

DannyInSoCal
12-02-2012, 5:38 PM
I prefer actual books.

You know - The kind you can read after the power goes out...

:43:

Intimid8tor
12-02-2012, 5:52 PM
I did the whole series. Not bad.

as to kindle or regular. If it is for pleasure reading, kindle. If it provides value in knowledge that might be good for the future, paper (and kindle sometimes).

vortec_cruiser
12-12-2012, 8:38 PM
I just finished the third book, and can't wait for the fourth book to come out. :tank:

TheChief
12-12-2012, 8:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up about this series. I picked up all three and read them already :( Hope book four is more like a 1200 page tome.

CV62
12-16-2012, 6:51 AM
Read the book when it first came out and I was suprised. Can't put the darn thing down! Other titles to consider: " No Easy Hope" & " A New World" series.

problemchild
12-16-2012, 1:26 PM
I prefer actual books.

You know - The kind you can read after the power goes out...

:43:

You didn't get the memo? Kindles stay charged for months and recharge by solar in minutes.

TheChief
12-17-2012, 7:20 AM
No no...Kindles stay charged for like 17 years and are recharged on thoughs alone. And they proved shelter and room lighting to boot.

TurboChrisB
12-17-2012, 7:30 AM
Just bought all three.... Thanks op.

jonnyt16
12-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Amazing books! Just finished reading book 3 and...WOW! I put this novel right up there with Lights Out and One Second After. And this is coming from a guy thats not in to the whole zombie thing either.

11HE9
12-29-2012, 4:55 PM
Amazing books! Just finished reading book 3 and...WOW! I put this novel right up there with Lights Out and One Second After.

Desperate times is another good "EOTWAWKI" series.

*Just downloaded the Remaining series :)

jonnyt16
12-29-2012, 5:47 PM
Desperate times is another good "EOTWAWKI" series.

*Just downloaded the Remaining series :)
How would you rate Desperate Times with the greats? I only ask because it really didn't get good reviews on Amazon. I'm always searching for the next thrill ride in EOTWAWKI novels but hate wasting time on sub par work and there is a lot of sub par stuff out there.

I just started reading David Crawford's second book Collision Course and so far I haven't been too excited about it. The storyline seems a bit too rushed. I'm only about 60 pages in so I'm not giving up on it yet. Crawford's first book, Lights Out was phenomenal of course.

Anyway, I can assure you that The Remaining is well worth your time. The thrill and suspense factor is sky-high chapter after chapter and it only gets better with each series. The writing and editing is excellent, I'm very surprised this isn't a "mainstream" book.

11HE9
12-29-2012, 9:51 PM
How would you rate Desperate Times with the greats?

I thought it was up there with One Second After.

It takes a lot for me to sit down and read a book, good luck keeping my attention with a series. I'm a little picky to say the least. I couldn't put Desperate Times down once I got into it.

I started on The Remaining this evening, I'm glad I downloaded all of them at once ;)

CMS2000
12-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Glad I found this thread! I'm going to order all three this week!! I'm also going to pick up desperate times. I just finished "lights out", "Collapse", "Holding their own" (both of the available ones) and a bunch of others. I've gone through probably 20+ post apocalyptic books in a few months lol.

emil77
01-09-2013, 10:40 AM
I just had to bump this thread with a word of thanks. I started reading the first book 2 days ago and I just can't put my kindle down. Wow, great book!

TheChief
01-09-2013, 12:14 PM
There are two books called Desperate Times availalbe at Amazon. Here is the one I think everyone might be interested in:

http://www.amazon.com/Desperate-Times-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B0073YF0V0

This is the trilogy which combines all three of the available books.