danmico
watchmen
artoaster
Wontgiveupmyweapons
Gardalos
Californio
Longhairchris+2
BLC

Ok guys' it's looking like we have a large inquiry into getting another glass factory cleanup going. Let's consolidate the other threads into this one. It looks like the general consensus would be a late January time frame. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions lets here them.

As with the other cleanups we will plan a BBQ for all those that attend. I will supply the hotdogs and waters along with the ketchup and mustard. Generally others have brought chips and other stuff as well.

I will contact Larry on Monday to get the ok to close the range down for the day. Craig, if your reading can we try to get something worked out with marborg? I will give Craig a call if he isn't following this thread.

For all those new to these cleanups here is a list of supplies we generally use:

Gloves
Rakes and shovels
Dust mask ( deadbolt has offered these)
Wheel barrows are a huge help
Strong trash bags
And finally lots and lots of volunteers!

If anyone has anything to add do it. I'm sure I forgot something. We will begin to get a list started soon so check in here with available dates.

Thanks,
Mike

dougolupski
12-01-2012, 10:22 PM
As always I am in until I am not. Work has me over seas all this month so January should be good for me........ Till its not

Deadbolt
12-02-2012, 6:58 AM
thanks turbo! :D

Emphasis on "Good, thick workgloves" - lots of nasty, rusty edges out there.

Shovels : Snow style shovels usually work the best, by the time we are using them, the broad flat heads are nice to scoop up shells and ewaste bits

Dust Masks - I am happy to provide n95 tier dust masks for all that RSVP here + their RSVP'd guests. I will be purchasing them a day or so prior to the clean up date, so no rush to rsvp for them, you'll be covered if you post here :chris:

BuckleNose
12-02-2012, 7:26 AM
I'm not familiar with 'Glass Factory', location?

Capybara
12-02-2012, 7:38 AM
Tagged for participant list

Capybara
12-02-2012, 7:38 AM
Tagged for messages

Capybara
12-02-2012, 7:39 AM
Tagged for messages

Capybara
12-02-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm not familiar with 'Glass Factory', location?

101 to Santa Barbara, hwy 154, turnoff at East Camino Cielo, drive about 4-5 miles.

I think it's "real" name is the Arroyo Seco Bowl? Or it's very near that but everyone has always called it the Glass Factory. It is closed for fire season at the moment but we think it will open soon and it is a thrashed mess. It's a pristine location that a lot of inconsiderate idiots have destroyed by dragging appliances, TVs, junk, anything to shoot at, and just leaving them there. Our aim is to restore it back to looking like a nice shooting range and to keep it nice.

Rusty Scabbard
12-02-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm in for the cleanup in January.

Capybara
12-02-2012, 2:53 PM
Thanks Rusty, I will add you to the list.

TacticalPlinker
12-02-2012, 3:11 PM
I'm in for December and/or January depending on the date.

Capybara
12-02-2012, 4:34 PM
I'm in for December and/or January depending on the date.

It's looking like late January Tactical. I'll add you to the list and if you can make it, we sure could use you.

keder
12-02-2012, 5:00 PM
Depending on the day in January I should be able to help for a couple hours.

Simply115
12-02-2012, 5:10 PM
I would like to go, but I need a ride.

Sent from the Realms Of The Haunting :73:

Capybara
12-03-2012, 7:01 AM
Simply, we can get you a ride, not a biggie. Keder and Simply, adding both of you to the participant list. My hope that we can integrate a BBQ, drawing for some cool stuff, etc. It's all up in the air but we need BIG turnout and the only way we we'll get a big turnout is to offer some fun and prizes. It's going to be hard work but if we feed you and you have a chance to win some cool prizes, I think we can get a lot of CGers out there.

Also, we are looking at these cleanups now as a way of life for the Glass Factory unless we can somehow reach the magical day when all shooters actually respect the range and take some ownership and pride in it and police each other.

Dakine_surf
12-03-2012, 10:10 AM
I of course am in... most likely +1

Edit
As long as it is not during Jan 13-18... That is SHOT show, so I will be with the other industry peeps in Vegas.

Deadbolt
12-03-2012, 7:28 PM

Edit
As long as it is not during Jan 13-18... That is SHOT show, so I will be with the other industry peeps in Vegas.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmon9iMOYA1qafrh6.jpg

LEO / Security Guard / Mercenary ?

cmawn how are we supposed to play Calguns telephone without the latest gossip ?! :oji: :chris: :D

Pulsewave
12-03-2012, 7:41 PM
I'm interested in helping for a couple hours, if I can figure out which day it would be in January.

gtturborex
12-04-2012, 6:03 AM
I'm interested in helping for a couple hours, if I can figure out which day it would be in January.

Great! We could use all the help we can get.

Thanks,
Mike

gtturborex
12-04-2012, 6:06 AM

Edit

We will definetly be scheduling around SHOT now that I know about it. So that will leave Jan 21 or the 28th.

Any other scheduling conflicts for anyone?

You had to use Saget didn't you??? That is a scary picture:D

Simply115
12-04-2012, 7:37 PM
Simply, we can get you a ride, not a biggie. Keder and Simply, adding both of you to the participant list. My hope that we can integrate a BBQ, drawing for some cool stuff, etc. It's all up in the air but we need BIG turnout and the only way we we'll get a big turnout is to offer some fun and prizes. It's going to be hard work but if we feed you and you have a chance to win some cool prizes, I think we can get a lot of CGers out there.

Also, we are looking at these cleanups now as a way of life for the Glass Factory unless we can somehow reach the magical day when all shooters actually respect the range and take some ownership and pride in it and police each other.

Excellent. I relish hard work, and I need to get out of the house.

Sent from the Realms Of The Haunting :73:

scifigunner
12-04-2012, 8:05 PM
Count me in.

vintagearms
12-04-2012, 8:11 PM
In, depending on work schedule. I'd like to eventually make one or more of these...Would HATE seeing a good site closed down because of asshats.

Capybara
12-04-2012, 9:53 PM
I am thinking January 28th might be better for a lot of people. Votes? Chime in on that date.

keder
12-04-2012, 10:11 PM
That's on a Monday, what time would you guys want to meet up there? Would the 26 or 27 be better? Either way I'm sure I can make it for at least a few hrs.

gtturborex
12-05-2012, 5:56 AM
I am thinking January 28th might be better for a lot of people. Votes? Chime in on that date.

That's on a Monday, what time would you guys want to meet up there? Would the 26 or 27 be better? Either way I'm sure I can make it for at least a few hrs.

Yes the 28th is a Monday. Gotta change the year on your computers calendar;)

26th would be good for me. We generally meet up aroung 9am or so. We need to get the date set so we can round up our sponsors for the trash removal soon.

Mike

Dakine_surf
12-05-2012, 10:10 AM

LEO / Security Guard / Mercenary ?

cmawn how are we supposed to play Calguns telephone without the latest gossip ?! :oji: :chris: :D

High risk mall security fast team ;)

Capybara
12-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Not in concrete yet, but it is looking like we may be landing on Saturday, January 26th guys, that seems to be far enough after the 1st for holiday recovery and a lot of businesses are slow in January, hopefully giving more of you some spare time to come out and help us reclaim this place and turn it from garbage dump into a community shooting range!

Working on some VERY cool stuff that has not been done for cleanups before. If you come out and help us, we will feed you, we will have snacks and water too. It will be organized, hopefully big and we are working on a raffle that will have some pretty epic prizes. Details are being worked on and we will reveal more about them soon.

tlcwrites
12-06-2012, 11:00 AM
I'd like to be there but am teaching a class that day. If the date changes from 1/26, I'll do my best to attend. Meantime, please keep me on the list as a "maybe".

Tammy

avenged56
12-06-2012, 10:22 PM
i was waiting to see a date before i said anything but... add me and another! i would like to say this is a community second to none. It proves to show that if you want something done it will get done. :chris:

n6vmo
12-07-2012, 5:42 AM
Count me in for the 26th of January.

I will bring two cameras for some time lapse cleanup videos, similar to the one below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp9HN3VWt_4

Capybara
12-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Sorry you can't make it Tammy. Spread the word, we need all of the help we can get. n6vmo, your offer is very helpful, I will probably be shooting a video of the day (not time lapse, more of the participants, some interviews possibly?) so your TL shots could be very interesting to spice it up.

Sipukhin
12-09-2012, 7:35 AM
Unless I have to work that day, I'd like to lend a hand. Been there shooting many times, nice spot. Carl.

jcmaxwell
12-09-2012, 2:37 PM
Would like to help the cleanup. I'll notify if the proposed date is good for me, as it draws closer.

watchmen
12-09-2012, 5:30 PM
I was up there today and it was pretty bad. I'll gladly help out if I am free. I've always wanted to go to one of the previous ones, i just could never make it.

gtturborex
12-09-2012, 5:51 PM
Great! Thanks for all the interest guys!

keder
12-09-2012, 6:43 PM
I can bring at least one more person, and possibly a box of black trash bags.

RudyCakes
12-09-2012, 7:14 PM
Is it still closed?

Sosoomi
12-09-2012, 8:26 PM
Rudycakes... It opened last Thursday......

danmico
12-10-2012, 12:24 PM
I will be there if I can, just shot up there for the first time and would gladly spend a day cleaning it up. Let me know if there is some way to donate towards the materials / food / beverages costs.

HappyCamper781
12-10-2012, 1:36 PM
I'll drive up from LA to do this, keep me posted on date/time

RudyCakes
12-10-2012, 2:45 PM
Rudycakes... It opened last Thursday......

Thanks. I'll just head up, do some shooting and clean up/ pack out whatever I can. That way I don't need to go on a certain date and I can still do my little part.

Capybara
12-10-2012, 5:44 PM
I will be there if I can, just shot up there for the first time and would gladly spend a day cleaning it up. Let me know if there is some way to donate towards the materials / food / beverages costs.

We'll be in touch, any donations toward food, tractor driver and rental, diesel, trash bags, etc. are highly appreciated.

Capybara
12-10-2012, 5:46 PM
I am driving up to the Glass Factory tomorrow to take some pictures for our efforts for this cleanup and the ongoing cleanup effort that will be required to turn this into a viable community range.

We'll be shooting too, of course. If you are a Calgunner and are up there tomorrow AM, please stop by and say hi! I'll be with two other guys, we'll be shooting some C&Rs.

Coolcom
12-13-2012, 2:16 PM
Just became a gun owner and joined this forum! Weather permitting, my wife and I are going to go to up to the GF this weekend. Excited to shoot her new 10/22 (I have a Sig P226 9mm and Savage Axis .223 (impluse buy) coming out of jail on Monday).

That said, if a clean up is happening sometime in late January, we would definitely be down to help. I can bring a box of heavy duty 42gal contractor bags.

gtturborex
12-13-2012, 4:24 PM
Just became a gun owner and joined this forum! Weather permitting, my wife and I are going to go to up to the GF this weekend. Excited to shoot her new 10/22 (I have a Sig P226 9mm and Savage Axis .223 (impluse buy) coming out of jail on Monday).

That said, if a clean up is happening sometime in late January, we would definitely be down to help. I can bring a box of heavy duty 42gal contractor bags.

That would be great! Congrats on your new purchases

Capybara
12-13-2012, 5:45 PM
Here is what we are working with folks.

Took a trip up to the range on Tuesday and this is what it looks like this week. I have seen it worse but in order to make it really clean, it is going to take a lot of work from a lot of cleanup volunteers.

It's a shame, this area is so beautiful, we need to make this range compliment that rather than look like an eyesore that local activists point at and equate with all shooters.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/Shooter.jpg?t=1355452585

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/ShotgunShells.jpg?t=1355452587

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/Trash.jpg?t=1355452593

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/Landscape.jpg?t=1355452583

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/Chair.jpg?t=1355452579

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/Couch.jpg?t=1355452582

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/BearBarrel.jpg?t=1355452578

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/Target.jpg?t=1355452589

Coolcom
12-13-2012, 5:56 PM
I read the edhat post...very sad. People will never be able to separate the responsible, respectful, and law abiding gun owners from those who...well just aren't. Just have to do the best we can to clean up and educate :\

Dakine_surf
12-14-2012, 10:43 AM
I really hate to say this... but that's really not even that bad. I have seen it soooo much worse... Good news is that we should be able to tackle it!

skyking13
12-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Add me to the list...coming from Buellton and can provide a ride to someone from the valley. Looking for the date well in advance I hope.

Capybara
12-14-2012, 2:16 PM
The date is not in stone but set aside January 26, 2013. It has to be this date if we are going to do it in January, if not February but we really need to make it asap.

FWIW, I too have seen it much worse up there but it's all relative. Even though there are not as many appliances and large objects out there, the layers of garbage strata, shotgun shells and just junk is still huge. In way, the big stuff is a piece of cake, we grab it, throw it in the dumpster, done. But what about half a million shotgun shell, rifle and pistol casings that literally carpet the entire area? That's going to take some serious manpower to clean up. Also, when this much garbage is strewn over many acres, it doesn't look like so much but when have our crew and hopefully a tractor scraping it up into big piles to be disposed of, I think you will be blown away at how much stuff there is out there.

Deadbolt
12-14-2012, 8:33 PM
pm inbound Cappy

patobravo
12-17-2012, 10:20 AM
I have the signs that were made up from the last time, as soon as the date is nailed down and posted in the subject line I'll update the info on the signs and post them at the entrance to East Camino Cielo off 154, at the range and somewhere else. I'll also most likely be able to participate, it's gonna get a lot messier after the holidays up there.

---John

Coolcom
12-17-2012, 10:38 AM
I went up for the first time Saturday morning. Freezing balls cold, but had a lot of fun. No one there when we got up there at 9am, when we left at 11:15 there were 4 groups. I think there is a lot more trash than realized. I shot a couple hundred 22lr rounds. Picking those up is a huge PITA, so I packed out a huge 42gal bag of shotgun shells (Cappy pictured). Very heavy but I didn't even make a dent in that section. Tons of glass and trash downrange as well.

Panorama: http://i.imgur.com/lDJuH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zc1GV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/D7klw.jpg

Simply115
12-17-2012, 6:54 PM
Looks like we're gonna need a lot of hand for this. Hope everyone shows.

Rusty Scabbard
12-17-2012, 8:33 PM
Sorry if a bit off-topic but this seems to be the best place -
I found a ring with 3 keys Sat 12/15. Send a PM if you're missing them.
..Looking forward to the cleanup. I've seen it worse up there, but it's about due...

TacticalPlinker
12-18-2012, 1:12 AM
Good pictures. Had a laugh at a few of those targets...

I've too seen it much worse, but definitely in need of a clean up... Plus we have another month or more until the clean up, so I'm sure it will only get worse in the mean time.

I will probably make my way up there for the day here soon. Probably next month. I'll take some pictures while I'm there.

gtturborex
12-19-2012, 8:29 AM
I'm heading up there on Saturday for some fun as long as the weather permits. I will put out the signs Eat Dirt sent me.

It's looking like the 26th will be the date. We just need to lock down a few more details and we will confirm this for sure.

Mike

patobravo
12-19-2012, 8:32 AM
No need for these signs then?
http://patobravo.smugmug.com/Other/misc/i-SfjstxL/2/L/IMG_6473-L.jpg

gtturborex
12-19-2012, 8:42 AM
No need for these signs then?
http://patobravo.smugmug.com/Other/misc/i-SfjstxL/2/L/IMG_6473-L.jpg

Sorry, yes we still need those signs posted. EatDirt sent me some other signs for us to post as well.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f365/eatdirt76/013-2.jpg

Dakine_surf
12-19-2012, 11:57 AM
I might be up there on Sat, early in the morning. Gtturborex, be sure to say hello if you are up there... I'll the guy shooting steel targets.

Truck is full of spare tires and suspension cage, but I can try to take a bag or two out with me.

dougolupski
12-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Yeah I might be up there as well. Havent been able to shoot for a month with work and all. If you see a an Evil Fiesta (you will get it when you see it) come over and say hi. Always willing to share toys.

Coolcom
12-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Weather permitting, my wife and I will be up in the morning at the GF. I just got my Savage Axis .223 bolt and Sig P226 9mm out of jail. Should be fun.

Coolcom
12-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Weather permitting, my wife and I will be up in the morning at the GF. I just got my Savage Axis .223 bolt and Sig P226 9mm out of jail. Should be fun.

Capybara
12-19-2012, 3:14 PM
Looks like the Glass Factory will be the place to be on Saturday. Hope that all of you can make it to our cleanup, Saturday, January 26th. We would welcome your input on the best way to divide and conquer the cleanup, we are discussing teams, hopefully a raffle and we will feed you and will have a fun day or as fun of a day as cleaning up other people's mess can be ;-)

gtturborex
12-19-2012, 3:22 PM
I will be in a blue lifted gmc

Capybara
12-19-2012, 5:22 PM
Wish I could meet all of you up there but work has me buried. I hate working weekends, weekend should be for expending ammo and cleaning guns!

RedMonkey
12-19-2012, 5:25 PM
I may be able to make it up there this Saturday. Any idea how long of drive it is from Ventura?

gtturborex
12-19-2012, 5:35 PM
I may be able to make it up there this Saturday. Any idea how long of drive it is from Ventura?

I'd say maybe an hour. Probably about the same drive as we have from lompoc

RedMonkey
12-19-2012, 5:40 PM
I'd say maybe an hour. Probably about the same drive as we have from lompoc

Cool. Let me do some negotiating with the wife. Let you guys know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Capybara
12-19-2012, 8:55 PM
I make it from Camarillo in 52 minutes with no traffic if that helps?

chozenfew805
12-20-2012, 6:28 AM
I'm in! I've got a truck, rake, shovels, and some spare time on my hands;)

One78Shovel
12-20-2012, 7:41 AM
Here is what we are working with folks.

Took a trip up to the range on Tuesday and this is what it looks like this week. I have seen it worse but in order to make it really clean, it is going to take a lot of work from a lot of cleanup volunteers.

It's a shame, this area is so beautiful, we need to make this range compliment that rather than look like an eyesore that local activists point at and equate with all shooters.

Ok- After seeing your pictures and post, now I am pretty confident that it was you (;)) I met that morning you were at GF. I had just finished a graveyard shift and had the same idea as you. Get there early, leave early. I know I told you I do not participate in Calguns. That is what I always say until I have a chance to look you over online, then decide if I want to give up my anonymity.

Just slightly paranoid.

It was a pleasure meeting you and the young shooters.

Regards,
178S

Capybara
12-20-2012, 7:55 AM
Will add you to the list, thanks! We will be having a drawing with some cool and desirable items as well if you come up and work with us all day. Drawing takes place as soon as the cleanup is done. It is going to be a fun day. More detail on prizes soon.

I'm in! I've got a truck, rake, shovels, and some spare time on my hands;)

Coolcom
12-21-2012, 7:34 AM
At this point, weather doesn't look promising for GF this weekend :(

gtturborex
12-21-2012, 7:50 AM
At this point, weather doesn't look promising for GF this weekend :(

Ya I was just looking at that. 50% chance of rain right now. We will most likely not be making the trip out there. It could snow since it has been so cold here lately.

jcmaxwell
12-21-2012, 3:39 PM
went up on 12/19/2012, it's not as bad as I had surmised. still, cleanup needed.

Deadbolt
12-21-2012, 4:41 PM
went up on 12/19/2012, it's not as bad as I had surmised. still, cleanup needed.

its been closed for months. However granted : not so much a front loader issue and more of a"bring snow shovels like we live in Maine" issue.

Coolcom
12-21-2012, 4:45 PM
(It opened back up on Dec. 5th. I went up last weekend.)

gtturborex
12-21-2012, 6:48 PM
So far weather looks pretty good. I'll be watching in the morning and if it looks like it will hold up I will come out to play

avenged56
12-22-2012, 12:42 AM
looks like we all survived to make it to the next clean up

Coolcom
12-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Went up in the morning. Pretty sure I saw dakine there with his girl. Weather wasn't too bad. Light rain, no wind really.

gtturborex
12-22-2012, 12:00 PM
It has been raining here since 730 so there was no way we were gonna drive out

dougolupski
12-22-2012, 2:57 PM
Yeah I flaked and went to Shooters Paradise in Oxnard instead. It was to cold and wet for my tastes this week.

skyking13
12-22-2012, 3:50 PM
I'd suggest that someone contact the Newspress and Noozhawk and invite them to the clean up...also KEYT. Showing the good work by gun owners may go a long way in the perception of our sport.

Capybara
12-22-2012, 4:36 PM
Skyking, have thought of that, but we are going to hold off until a few weeks before and will only invite press if we are sure that we have an impressive count of people to help out. It would not help our case if we invite press and 10 people show up for the cleanup. The hope is that we can get commitments from around 100 Calgunners and community members.

Figuring in a 40% flake out rate, that would still give us about 60 participants, that would look good in the press. It is a numbers game and people will swear up and down they are coming and then beg out at the last minute.

I can tell everyone on this thread that so far, we will have a Mosin 91/30, desirable ammo and some accessories as prizes for the participant drawing, the hope is to gather more prizes for the drawing in the next few weeks. Hopefully, drawing + food = good turnout.

DeuceFour
12-25-2012, 3:28 PM
I can make it! Would love to help out! I've never been to this range however. I live in Ventura. Got a few questions... If there is a thread already that has information that a shooter would want for this range please lead me too it... Who's land is this? Is it a safe place to shoot? Who operates it? Is it supervised by anyone... etc.

Anyhow I would love to help with the clean-up!! I have a big Dodge Cummins and a flat bed car trailer I could donate to the cause if needed as well.

gtturborex
12-25-2012, 3:55 PM
I can make it! Would love to help out! I've never been to this range however. I live in Ventura. Got a few questions... If there is a thread already that has information that a shooter would want for this range please lead me too it... Who's land is this? Is it a safe place to shoot? Who operates it? Is it supervised by anyone... etc.

Anyhow I would love to help with the clean-up!! I have a big Dodge Cummins and a flat bed car trailer I could donate to the cause if needed as well.

Great we could use more help. This is public land and is for the most part safe to shoot. Later in the day you can get some riff raff up there though. There is no supervision at all.

As for the help we really just need shovels, wheelbarrows, and good backs. We have a very generous sponsor in Marborg that will remove all the trash we can collect.

DeuceFour
12-25-2012, 4:24 PM
Sounds great! Count me in!

Dakine_surf
12-25-2012, 7:37 PM
Went up in the morning. Pretty sure I saw dakine there with his girl. Weather wasn't too bad. Light rain, no wind really.

Naw wasn't me... I am renovating my house and had to pick up my new flooring on sat... I might go up tomorrow or Thursday if I can swing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Kingofthehill
12-25-2012, 11:11 PM
YIKES! Thats 2+ hours from me... Never heard of the place but was curious. Good luck!

Simply115
12-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Yeah, as long as I can get a ride, I'll be there.

Dakine_surf
12-28-2012, 7:39 AM
I'm heading up today if anyone else is gonna be up lemme know.

Coolcom
12-28-2012, 8:03 AM
+2 for me.

Deadbolt
12-28-2012, 6:17 PM
count me as a solid for the morning / early afternoon of the 26th. Its on the calendar officially here :chris:

:D

SoCalMountainman
12-30-2012, 6:24 AM
I will be there +1. Looking forward to helping clean up. ;)

gtturborex
01-02-2013, 5:30 PM
I was contacted this morning by the forestry service. They are on board and someone will be there at 9 am to assist us. He also mentioned that he was going to be trying to get some of the fire crew up there as well to help.

patobravo
01-02-2013, 6:07 PM
I was up there yesterday, very crowded, very fun- quite messy though. I talked to just about everyone there down the line, letting them know about the clean-up, many said they'd be there, hopefully some actually will be. I'll get the signs up Saturday and get some flyers out at the local gun shops.

SoCalMountainman
01-04-2013, 7:32 AM
Do you have the flyer that you can attach for us to print? I would like to put one up on our bulletin board at work.

skyking13
01-04-2013, 8:30 AM
Other than bodies, what else is needed? I've scheduled out the day and can provide a ride from Buellton.

Simply115
01-07-2013, 10:51 AM
I need a ride from someone in Ventura, or passing through.

patobravo
01-07-2013, 11:52 AM
The signs are up, they say start at 8AM and "the following rain-free weekend if it rains", I hope that's OK. I'll get to the flyers tonight. Also spoke with a ranger who was there yesterday, Evette, she was unaware of the clean-up but made a note of it, a very pleasant lady.

Capybara
01-08-2013, 4:39 PM
Apologies to all, I have been consumed by drama with my job ending but is resolved. The good news is that we have a nice list of items for the drawing, Marborg is on board.

Pato, has anyone started work on a flyer yet? We will be posting this on the Calguns FB page this week and I will be updating the sign up list. If you are attending, bring your drivers license, the big drawing item is a Mosin M44 and you must be an eligible person. We will also have some desirable ammo, accessories and some other fun items.

In order to qualify for the drawing, winners must be present and you must work a minimum of four hours to qualify for the drawing.

More details to come, spread the word, tell your shooting buddies, we need all of the help we can get.

patobravo
01-08-2013, 6:03 PM
...the big drawing item is a Mosin M44

Should mention of the drawing go on the flyer? Maybe something general like "prize drawing for participants working 4+ hours"? See attachment...

Capybara
01-08-2013, 8:07 PM
Thanks for jumping on this. Yes, we will want the drawing. Check your PMs Pato, let's take this off line so we don't clutter up the thread with our back and forth.

gtturborex
01-11-2013, 7:51 AM
I need a ride from someone in Ventura, or passing through.

Anyone from Ventura get this man a ride? He has been asking for a while.

Anyways 2 weeks out guys. I'm about to update the OP with the list of volunteers so far.

gtturborex
01-11-2013, 7:58 AM
Ok I'm counting 24 volunteers so far that are in. We have 8 more that are possible and 1 that is in just needs a ride from Ventura.

gtturborex
01-11-2013, 8:30 AM
Also if we can get up enough support (donations) we are looking into getting a tractor again. The total cost was $300 the last time we did this. If we split it up it's only $10 a piece and it will save our backs and make the cleanup go that much quicker.

Let me know what you guys' think about this. If enough people are interested we would just collect the donations through paypal and I will arrange to have the front loader delivered on the 26th.

dougolupski
01-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Hey if its 10-20 I'm in. Anything to really make the land sparkle. We need it especially right now in the gun community.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

gtturborex
01-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Hey if its 10-20 I'm in. Anything to really make the land sparkle. We need it especially right now in the gun community.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Thats what I'm shooting for. I'll put you down as good for donation as of now!

Thanks,
Mike

RedMonkey
01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Mike, please put me in for $20.00.

Thanks for your efforts.

gtturborex
01-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Mike, please put me in for $20.00.

Thanks for your efforts.

Awesome. I'll start a donation list in the OP as well

Rusty Scabbard
01-11-2013, 7:18 PM
I'll put in $20 to fund the tractor. See you all on the 26th ! thanks for the organizational efforts.

gtturborex
01-11-2013, 9:39 PM
I'll put in $20 to fund the tractor. See you all on the 26th ! thanks for the organizational efforts.

I'll put you on the list! Thanks for the help! I don't want to collect until I know we have enough to rent the loader. Too much trouble to give the money back if we can't pull it all together.

SoCalMountainman
01-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the poster pdf Patobravo. I have 4 friends coming up as well so that's five for me.

gtturborex
01-12-2013, 3:04 PM
Thanks for the poster pdf Patobravo. I have 4 friends coming up as well so that's five for me.

Awesome! Op updated

kona66
01-13-2013, 1:22 PM
Ill be there and will be bringing a few people with me hopefully! Ill be bringing a truck and gear as well.

gtturborex
01-13-2013, 2:44 PM
Ill be there and will be bringing a few people with me hopefully! Ill be bringing a truck and gear as well.

Great! Added you to the list

SoCalMountainman
01-13-2013, 5:46 PM
[QUOTE=gtturborex;10178075]Anyone from Ventura get this man a ride? He has been asking for a while.

I know someone coming up from Thousand Oaks. I have sent Simply115 a PM.

gtturborex
01-13-2013, 5:53 PM
[QUOTE=gtturborex;10178075]Anyone from Ventura get this man a ride? He has been asking for a while.

I know someone coming up from Thousand Oaks. I have sent Simply115 a PM.

Great thank you!

jcmaxwell
01-14-2013, 9:55 AM
hey guys! unfortunately, the 26th is out for me due to work conflicts. please let me know how I can contribute to the tractor fund.

Also, I will be at the range on Friday the 18th around noon. Look for the black F150 pickup if you're there too. I'll snap a few pictures and post them in case anyone wants a preliminary look at the place. Thanks.

gtturborex
01-14-2013, 1:34 PM
hey guys! unfortunately, the 26th is out for me due to work conflicts. please let me know how I can contribute to the tractor fund.

Also, I will be at the range on Friday the 18th around noon. Look for the black F150 pickup if you're there too. I'll snap a few pictures and post them in case anyone wants a preliminary look at the place. Thanks.

Sorry to hear... We will definetly take a donation for the tractor though. I'll put you on the list and pm you the details if we get enough support.

Thanks,
Mike

dougolupski
01-14-2013, 2:08 PM
Whew, I went up to La Cumbre peak to shoot some panoramic images on Saturday and passed the factory and man was it busy. Fair weather gonna equal more for use to pick up.

BTW driving past the factory is scetchy, it sounds like the rounds are flying right over my car.

Capybara
01-15-2013, 8:06 PM
Last time we shot up there, someone down the line was shooting at something that was causing ricochets all over the place. Had to yell at them to knock it off.

Capybara
01-16-2013, 7:38 AM
Official Glass Factory Cleanup Drawing

I thought that if we have some incentives, we could bring more participants out to the clean up of the Glass Factory so I am putting my money where my mouth is. Please spread the word to all of your shooting friends and family, we are hoping to have a very healthy turnout and hopefully these prizes will persuade more people to show up and help us.

Besides some smaller items and possibly some Calguns swag, the following items will be given away to participants in a drawing at the end of the clean up.

Grand prize
1944 Izhevsk M44 Mosin Nagant Rifle
Fresh in the box, still has some cosmoline on it, includes cleaning rod, bayonet, ammo pouch, oil can, but no sling. This rifle is currently valued at $250.00

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/2012-12-19125357.jpg

**New Addition** Donated by Calgun User can'thavenuthingood Thank you!
Bluestone Safety Olive Concealment Vest - Retail $62.95
http://bluestonesafety.com/content/directory/images/products/fleet/7/7n2jcp.jpg

100 rounds of PMC Bronze .223 55 GR Ammunition
http://utahgunexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/694437-194x150.jpg

100 rounds of Remington UMC 9mm 115 GR Ammunition
http://ximages.wholesalehunter.com/prodpics/BH_REM%20L9MM3.jpg

100 rounds of Ace Ammo .45 ACP 200 GR Lead Wadcutter Ammunition
(picture not of actual ammo)
http://www.macsreloading.com/imagedata/inventory/mpammo/270028.1.jpg

100 rounds of CCI Mini Mag 22LR 40GR Ammunition
http://www.hermes.sk/sub/hermes.sk/shop/product/cci-.22lr-mini-mag-hp-chp-36gr.-high-velocity-art.-0031-23.jpg

90 rounds of Yugo 1950s Surplus 8mm Ammunition on stripper clips. Best on modern (24/47, M48, VZ24) Mausers, just to be up front.
Had to drop image to add vest image - ten images per post max

Caldwell Mesh Shell Catcher
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/269/269873.jpg

Gunmaster Compact Universal Handgun Cleaning Kit
http://www.unholycocktail.com/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/r/cr-dahgc2459-a.jpg

Sightmark .223 Laser Bore Sight
http://images2.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-sightmark-accudot-laser-bore-sight-264-win-mag-sm39004.jpg

CAA CP Cheek Rest Set
http://www.milsurpstuff.com/prodimages/CP1.jpg

Disclaimers and Rules:
In order to participate in the drawing, you must sign in with the even organizers and work for a minimum of four hours at the cleanup. You must be present at the drawing, which will take place at the end of the cleanup, in order to win. Each participant will receive only one ticket for the drawing so there will not be any repeat winners.

In order to win the grand prize 1944 Izhevsk M44 Rifle, winner must be at least 21 years old, must possess a valid California drivers license and must be a legally eligible person in the State of California for a face to face C&R sale. If you are not a California resident with a valid California drivers license for my C&R logbook, you cannot win the gun.

In order to win any of the ammunition prizes, you must be 21 years of age or older and must possess a valid drivers license to prove it.

Capybara
01-16-2013, 8:25 AM
If You Need a Ride To The Cleanup...

I, along with Gtturborex, am one of the coordinators. As long as you are located west of Camarillo, I can give rides to two volunteers to get to the cleanup on January 26th. The catch is, because I am one of the coordinators, I will be heading up really early and will be returning back to Ventura County probably pretty late, once we are all packed up. So if you get a ride with me, it will be a long day.

If you need a ride, PM me and we will set it up. Wish I could give more people rides that need them, but I have a truck and it will be loaded down with stuff for the shoot so I can only fit two riders.

Simply115
01-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Quick questions, why does the winner need to be 21 for the rifle? And does it have to be a driver's license? Will a CA ID do?

Capybara
01-16-2013, 2:47 PM
Hi Simply:

Those were the conditions specified by the donor of the rifle. Same with the ammo. If you are in the drawing and are under 21 and win either the rifle or ammo, I am afraid you will have to pick one of the non-gun or ammo prizes. Sorry, that's how it is.

If you are 21 or over, we could accept a state issued CA ID in place of a DL.

I am adding a Concealed Carry Vest that a fellow Calgunner just donated to our cleanup to the drawing that retails for $62.95. Will try to get some more non-gun, non ammo prizes.

gtturborex
01-16-2013, 6:03 PM
Man that raffle list looks great! Great job and a special thanks to the donators!

We have got some good news. The tractor has been donated by a friend of one of our members. I removed the tractor donations off the OP. Thanks for everyone's help in putting this together. Only a week and a half to go.

Lets go out and recruit some more volunteers!

Capybara
01-16-2013, 9:22 PM
Keep it coming guys and spread the word. We are sitting at about 30 volunteers, we really would like to see 50 to 60. More hands make less work for everyone.

Hope see all of you out there!

Simply115
01-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Crap.

Deadbolt
01-17-2013, 7:29 AM
./slavering @ the thought of a free m44 for doing what id be doing anyway :lol: :chris:

Can'thavenuthingood
01-17-2013, 7:41 AM
The Concealment Vest is a line of items I'll be carrying on the GunsR4.us website. Comes in both black and olive.
Sizes medium thru 6xl.
How we can work this is whoever wins the vest I'll send your size to you.

Right now I'm figuring out a way to have one onsite for fondling purpose's.
Maybe I'll send my personal one down to Dan?
Concealment Vest C565

Gun Model/s: Mid-Full Size, Sub-Compact
Sizes: Medium - 6XL

This quality garment wont let you down! Specially designed gun pockets will accommodate both left and right hand shooters.
This vest features:

Extra pockets capable of holding up to 6 extra magazines
12 additional pockets including a spot to carry extra bullets (for revolvers)
The concealed carry pocket is made from tough 1050 Denier Cordura fabric
2 Inner Gun pockets with built in elastic that holds your weapon up for fast draw
Spare bullet carrier pack
Durable material 80% Polyester, 20 Cotton

http://www.bluestonesafety.com/content/directory/images/products/fleet/7/7n2jcp.jpg

It is a heavy duty vest I'd think may be ideal for IDPA etc.
Lots of pockets and carry either left or right chest.

Not yet posted on GunsR4us site as I am having the site made over into a full blown eCommerce site.

Vick

gtturborex
01-17-2013, 9:10 AM
./slavering @ the thought of a free m44 for doing what id be doing anyway :lol: :chris:

Sounds good to me as well.

The vest looks great Vick!

Capybara
01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
I will be totally straight with all of you. The idea behind the drawing is to draw more participants. At the end of the day, I am going to ask the more experienced clean up guys who have ran previous ones here at the Glass Factory, "do you think that the drawing helped us to bring in significantly more volunteers?"

If the drawing helps us to bring in more people, I would like expand it, get some sponsors/manufacturers involved, etc. We would like to do at least two and possibly as many as four clean ups a year at the Glass Factory to keep it looking nice and hopefully it can evolve into a real shooting range with a concrete line, target stands, bathroom facilities, etc. The Forestry Service isn't going to bother though if the place always looks like a garbage dump. I wish that people could begin to understand what a precious, unusual and great resource this shooting area is, good shooting places are as rare as hens teeth in SoCal and we cannot afford to let this one go, we need to build it up, maintain it, keep it clean and grow it.

However, if the drawing doesn't greatly expand our volunteer base (if it were me, I would be up there in a heartbeat to possibly win an M44, hard to find ammo, etc.), we probably won't continue with it. So it is up to our volunteers who have already signed up to help us build a community of volunteers to keep this place up.

If you are going to be joining us on the 26th, please, please, please ask all of your friends, family, local gun shop, local scout troop, etc. to come out and join us. Use your Facebook and Twitter, we just posted this on the Calguns Facebook page today. Get the word out. We have roughly 30 confirmed volunteers, ideally we would like to see 50-60 instead.

Trying to build momentum with this clean up, the location, showing the community in Santa Barbara that shooters are responsible, civic minded and we do care about nature and the area, not just shooting up old TVs.

TheExiled
01-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Never been, but Im interested. Would also be interested in carpooling as I drive a big dumb truck that only seats 2

gtturborex
01-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Never been, but Im interested. Would also be interested in carpooling as I drive a big dumb truck that only seats 2

Great Ill add you to the list.

Where you coming from for a carpool?

TheExiled
01-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Im coming from Moorpark

dougolupski
01-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Well one thing I would note. We the Calgunner's would more than likely be up there to help regardless especially given the current backlash against gun owners. We all need to do what we can to put our best foot forward.

The purpose of drawings is to pull those who aren't part of the community to help and bring them further into the fold. I would post on Edhat that there is a range clean up with a raffle. That will access those who aren't part of our Calgun's community and will hopefully draw more people than we could normally reach.

Plus there is the added benefit of those that dislike our community will see some thing being done to help in a postive light. Also them posting in the bulletin will drive up its trending and get more people exposed to it and again hopefully draw more people in. Anything regarding guns gets huge views and I cant really see a down side to this story. More views more people.

Sorry my SEO side of me pops out with anything internet ranking.

Just a thought.

Capybara
01-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Doug:

Can you expand on what Edhat is? A little concerned that antis would see we are giving away an evil gun and ammo in our little drawing?

As all of us know, Santa Barbara proper isn't exactly a haven for gun ownership, traditional values, the 2A, etc.

dougolupski
01-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Edhat is a community news feed that serves the central coast. So yes there are anti's on there god are they.

So maybe we shouldn't advertise the raffle but the clean up only. If raffle was running through a FFL for the M44 I couldnt see an issue but you are right. I think they would have a field day with a gun not going through proper background check's. C&R is another complex gun law that would have to be explained and open up another can of worms.

I do think it would be important to get the word out there on the site. There was a scathing post of the glass factory in November and it would be good to show we are doing something about it.

Edhats main site for SB County
http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?id=1394

Post from November
http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=103721&showcomments=T

Capybara
01-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the heads up Doug. We, as a team, will take a look at this.

gtturborex
01-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Ok guys. I just went through the entire South Coast group and pm'd all of them. If you got a dupe pm sorry about that as I was trying to send out a blanket message directing everyone to this thread.

Now that my hands hurt I have to get back to work...

Mike

jgills240
01-17-2013, 12:24 PM
I won't be in the area, but I do appreciate the PM. I rarely check the message boards, so the PM's clue me in. Next time, hopefully!

dougolupski
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up Doug. We, as a team, will take a look at this.

Sounds good. I didnt want to post anything or use the Calguns name since I am just a member. I am not a big fan of kicking the hornets nest.

gtturborex
01-17-2013, 12:45 PM
I won't be in the area, but I do appreciate the PM. I rarely check the message boards, so the PM's clue me in. Next time, hopefully!

Thanks for the response! Glad to know the Pms work

motodog57
01-17-2013, 2:00 PM
got my pm and i will be there have a wheelbarrow and some trash cans on wheels that i will bring, also wontgiveupmy-weapons-easy said he would come if he didn't have to work so put him as a possible

gtturborex
01-17-2013, 2:04 PM
got my pm and i will be there have a wheelbarrow and some trash cans on wheels that i will bring, also wontgiveupmy-weapons-easy said he would come if he didn't have to work so put him as a possible

Awesome! Added both of you to the OP! See you there.

Mike

longhairchris
01-17-2013, 3:08 PM
Hey just got the PM. Sounds really awesome what you guys are doing, especially with the raffle. Don't know what's up for that weekend, I will have to see. I'd love to win a rifle while at the same time being proactive. Win-win!

Still have a shovel, gloves and rake from when I went to a cleanup at Cherry Creek a few years ago. It was actually a lot of fun, met some great people.

Capybara
01-17-2013, 4:11 PM
We would love to have you Chris, please make it if you can. Even if you don't win the rifle, how about a nice CCW vest or a some .223 PMC Bronze? Good crowd we have coming, we will feed you, we will have a great time, we have a tractor too so we are going to get a lot done that day!

SoCalMountainman
01-17-2013, 4:36 PM
Crap.

Simply115 did Eric get a hold of you about a ride from Ventura? Hope it's taken care of.

I've got 3 more friends confirmed. That makes 7 coming with me. ;)

gtturborex
01-17-2013, 6:49 PM
Simply115 did Eric get a hold of you about a ride from Ventura? Hope it's taken care of.

Updated OP. nice recruiting!

Simply115
01-17-2013, 9:19 PM

Yeah, we got it all worked out.

gtturborex
01-18-2013, 8:07 AM
Yeah, we got it all worked out.

Great, added you to the list!

KWA-S
01-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Sorry, I can't make it Saturday. If something happens and the cleanup gets delayed to Sunday or later, I'll definitely lend a hand.

jcmaxwell
01-18-2013, 1:50 PM
was up there today but forgot to snap some photos. here are some from dec. 19th. there's a lot more shotgun shells now.

TheExiled
01-18-2013, 1:55 PM
Good god, we've got work to do.

Simply115
01-18-2013, 2:39 PM
Good god, we've got work to do.

Yeah, we do. Wish people picked up their trash more.

Deadbolt
01-18-2013, 4:01 PM
sadly, "thats not that bad as it has been" :rofl: :(

SoCalMountainman
01-19-2013, 9:17 AM
Are we still doing the barbecue and what would you like us to bring?

Sub95
01-19-2013, 11:34 AM
All the big stuff is easy to pick up, its all the small stuff that is a pain. It that's not to bad compared to the last clean up we did.

Capybara
01-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Gtturborex:

You can add a +1 to my name, my son will be coming with me and I am working on the wife and all of my camping group as well.

gtturborex
01-19-2013, 1:00 PM
Are we still doing the barbecue and what would you like us to bring?

Yes we are. The plan as of now was just to keep it simple and do hotdogs. I will supply the hotdogs, buns, and condiments. The CGSSA is providing snacks and waters. If there is anything else that you might want go ahead and bring it. We are bringing a propane grill so you're welcome to cook something else if you want to.

gtturborex
01-19-2013, 1:01 PM
Gtturborex:

You can add a +1 to my name, my son will be coming with me and I am working on the wife and all of my camping group as well.

Got it. I also need to add 2 more to the maybe list. My sister and boyfriend are going to come out as long as she doesn't have to work.

gtturborex
01-19-2013, 1:05 PM
I'm counting 40 right now. This should be a great turn out!

Capybara
01-19-2013, 1:59 PM
40 is good. I just posted on the Los Padres Boy Scout Council FB page, maybe we can get some people there, would love to have some scouts besides my son out there.

patobravo
01-19-2013, 3:43 PM
I just returned from riding up there, I passed out flyers to the folks there, they seemed very receptive- we'll see if any show. I'll try to get up there Sunday & Monday too and hand some more out, it's a good excuse for a nice ride.
http://patobravo.smugmug.com/Other/misc/i-bMnc9nN/0/L/IMG_1247-L.jpg

SoCalMountainman
01-19-2013, 5:28 PM
I've got 6 more confirmed! Six cadets from the UCSB ROTC "Surfrider Battalion" are coming up but I'm working on getting 15 of them.

longhairchris
01-19-2013, 5:53 PM
Put me down as a maybe, plus 2 more maybes if they can make it up. Will there be any shooting after cleanup or is it cleanup only?

gtturborex
01-19-2013, 6:14 PM
Put me down as a maybe, plus 2 more maybes if they can make it up. Will there be any shooting after cleanup or is it cleanup only?

I'll add you guys to the maybe list. We will shoot if there is time after. Cleanup is our number one priority. I am bringing my toys with me

gtturborex
01-19-2013, 6:14 PM
I've got 6 more confirmed! Six cadets from the UCSB ROTC "Surfrider Battalion" are coming up but I'm working on getting 15 of them.

Awesome job!

Capybara
01-19-2013, 10:24 PM
They just PMd us SoCalMountainman, thanks for that hookup, hopefully we will see a crowd of them on Saturday.

gtturborex
01-20-2013, 7:56 AM
I just returned from riding up there, I passed out flyers to the folks there, they seemed very receptive- we'll see if any show. I'll try to get up there Sunday & Monday too and hand some more out, it's a good excuse for a nice ride.

If you do make it out there can you snap a pic or two from the lower area. Is that pile that we left still there?

scifigunner
01-20-2013, 8:44 AM
So, what time is this shindig starting on Saturday?

gtturborex
01-20-2013, 9:02 AM
So, what time is this shindig starting on Saturday?

9am. A few of us will be there earlier to coordinate where the dumpsters go.

patobravo
01-20-2013, 1:42 PM
If you do make it out there can you snap a pic or two from the lower area. Is that pile that we left still there?

I wouldn't call it a pile any longer, it's been spread around so it's more of a higher concentration of garbage in the general vicinity, I'll grab a pic.

For the cleanups I've always grabbed one of the 65 gallon curbside containers from our home service and use it instead of a wheelbarrow, it's a lot easier to dump & fill and the wheels are solid so they can't go flat. The tractor is a one yard bucket and the roll-offs are 40 yards, I think we filled 2 or 3 of them last February but if we rely solely on the tractor bucket it'll be a bottle neck. So the jist is folks should bring a wheel barrow (or something similar) if they can.

Capybara
01-20-2013, 2:05 PM
If you guys with wheelbarrows have not already done this, I have one of the big ones with two wheels. I was sick of the wheels always ending up flat from sitting in the yard so I spent an extra $50.00 and bought the solid rubber front wheels from Harbor Freight.

There is a LOT of stuff up at the Glass Factory that could puncture your tires so you might want to consider that. We could use all of the wheelbarrows and or cans you guys can bring.

SoCalMountainman
01-20-2013, 4:14 PM
People are asking if they will need the Forest Service Pass to park up there. Will they be required to put a pass in the windshield?

gtturborex
01-20-2013, 4:15 PM
We will be bringing at least 3 wheelbarrows with us. They make our job a lot easier

dougolupski
01-20-2013, 4:16 PM
This what it looked like this afternoon.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/dougolupski/WP_20130120_15_25_10_Panorama-1_zpsec856d39.jpg

gtturborex
01-20-2013, 4:17 PM
People are asking if they will need the Forest Service Pass to park up there. Will they be required to put a pass in the windshield?

I have never had one and have never seen anyone else use one. Legally I'm not sure though.

Capybara
01-20-2013, 4:20 PM
I've never had one up there. Didn't know one was required there?

patobravo
01-20-2013, 6:33 PM
OK the pile is still there, sort of. It seems to be composting a bit, should grab some for your garden.

http://patobravo.smugmug.com/Other/misc/i-CQcD8N5/0/L/photo%20%281%29-L.jpg

I've never had a pass up there and the ranger has never asked for one. No signs saying it's a fee area either. None of the other areas off East Camino (http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r5/home/?cid=stelprdb5404142&width=full#alpnf) are fee areas, I doubt the Glass Factory is one either.

gtturborex
01-20-2013, 6:54 PM
Wow that is a lot smaller then it was

OK the pile is still there, sort of. It seems to be composting a bit, should grab some for your garden.

http://patobravo.smugmug.com/Other/misc/i-CQcD8N5/0/L/photo%20%281%29-L.jpg

I've never had a pass up there and the ranger has never asked for one. No signs saying it's a fee area either. None of the other areas off East Camino (http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r5/home/?cid=stelprdb5404142&width=full#alpnf) are fee areas, I doubt the Glass Factory is one either.

Can'thavenuthingood
01-21-2013, 9:41 AM
Anyone have one of those magnets on wheels used to pickup nails etc?

Might work out well picking up some of the little stuff anyway.
The rest of the smaller pieces looks like it will need to be sifted through screens to have an effect. Then we're talking brooms and dust.

Best just go for a uniform smear.

I'm planning on making it down there for this event. Looks like about a 3-4 hour drive. Capabara or gtturborex can you post GPS coordinates or a Google earth pic/URL?

Vick

Sub95
01-21-2013, 9:53 AM
Last time out we had a tractor, the problem is you would have to take 3 feet off the top to get it all, not going to happen anyways as they don't want us to dig, just scrape.

Capybara
01-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Here you go Vick. 3430'21"N 11945'9"W

http://wikimapia.org/6742345/Forest-Service-designated-shooting-area

tlcwrites
01-21-2013, 1:26 PM
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this time, as I'm teaching that day. Would love to get out to the Glass Factory sometime to shoot (when ammo becomes easier to find than honest politicians again) and hopefully can contribute to a future cleanup event.

Tammy
http://www.momwithagun.com/

gtturborex
01-21-2013, 1:42 PM
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this time, as I'm teaching that day. Would love to get out to the Glass Factory sometime to shoot (when ammo becomes easier to find than honest politicians again) and hopefully can contribute to a future cleanup event.

Tammy
http://www.momwithagun.com/

Sorry to hear you won't be attending. Hopefully you can make it out next time around.

Capybara
01-21-2013, 4:48 PM
Our volunteer list is now at 47, you guys are making us really happy ;-)

Sub95
01-21-2013, 5:36 PM
If we get 47 people it won't take very long to clean that place up. Avg has been around 12-15 with other people coming and going through out the day.

caluke
01-21-2013, 5:48 PM
I will be there and 2 more helpers. So that brings us up to 50! I will also bring a couple wheelbarrows.

Capybara
01-21-2013, 6:24 PM
Nothing would please us more than to have 50 hard working volunteers finish mid afternoon, then be able to shoot on our newly cleaned range.

keder
01-21-2013, 6:27 PM
I'm still going as of today,should still be bringing a + 1. Going to see if i can get more friends to come out too. There was talk of a raffle was that still going on?

Sosoomi
01-21-2013, 7:28 PM
I'll be there with +1..... We'll bring some steel targets .... It's really the way to go up there.... No trash and a lot of fun.... Mostly rimfire stuff but a few AR500 to mix it up...

gtturborex
01-21-2013, 7:55 PM
I'm still going as of today,should still be bringing a + 1. Going to see if i can get more friends to come out too. There was talk of a raffle was that still going on?

Great ill add you to the list. The raffle is on. Details are on page 4 of this thread.

gtturborex
01-21-2013, 7:58 PM
I'll be there with +1..... We'll bring some steel targets .... It's really the way to go up there.... No trash and a lot of fun.... Mostly rimfire stuff but a few AR500 to mix it up...

Awesome! Added you to the list.

Capybara
01-22-2013, 7:37 AM
Details of the drawing in this post.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=10225360&postcount=125

gtturborex
01-22-2013, 9:05 AM
I will be there and 2 more helpers. So that brings us up to 50! I will also bring a couple wheelbarrows.

Sorry missed your post yesterday. Added you to the list!

gtturborex
01-22-2013, 9:07 AM
If we get 47 people it won't take very long to clean that place up. Avg has been around 12-15 with other people coming and going through out the day.

If this is the case we will get done really quick. I need to contact Marborg again and quite possibly get at least one more dumpster.

gtturborex
01-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Another volunteer added to the list! Lets keep up the recruiting.

Mike

motodog57
01-22-2013, 11:46 AM
there is a chance of rain what is the plan if it is rained out and if it is light rain will we still go with the plan as it stands and how will you let us know if it is postponed

gtturborex
01-22-2013, 12:07 PM
there is a chance of rain what is the plan if it is rained out and if it is light rain will we still go with the plan as it stands and how will you let us know if it is postponed

Right now it's only a 30% chance. We have to just play it be ear. I would just keep checking back here in this thread. If we have to cancel we will notify everyone here.

gtturborex
01-22-2013, 1:25 PM
Added 2 more. Let's get 60!

gtturborex
01-22-2013, 5:58 PM

Just a reminder in case someone gets there before me. Please don't park where the motorcycle, Audi, Honda, or Isuzu are in this pic. This is where the dumpster will be going.

Capybara
01-22-2013, 6:50 PM
Gtturborex:

Are these the big long 30 or 40 yard dumpsters? How many have you guys filled up on past cleanups?

Sub95
01-22-2013, 7:08 PM
I want to say 40yrd. and the last one we filled 2, could of filled 3 but ran out of time.

gtturborex
01-22-2013, 8:23 PM
Gtturborex:

Are these the big long 30 or 40 yard dumpsters? How many have you guys filled up on past cleanups?

I want to say 40yrd. and the last one we filled 2, could of filled 3 but ran out of time.

Correct 40yd. Generally we fill 2 but we will have enough man power to fill 3 or 4. We have to verify with Marborg if they can bring more or not though. They are already paying for 2 of them for us.

Somekindagenius
01-22-2013, 9:00 PM
I'll be there +1 for sure, maybe more.

bb16
01-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know if there will be any extra gear for the cleanup? My friend and I would like to come up to help clean as we really appreciate having a free range. However, being college students we do not have any shovels,rake, etc.

Sub95
01-22-2013, 10:14 PM
We always try and bring extra tools soit should not be a problem.

gtturborex
01-23-2013, 5:58 AM
I'll be there +1 for sure, maybe more.

Added you to the list!

gtturborex
01-23-2013, 6:00 AM
Does anyone know if there will be any extra gear for the cleanup? My friend and I would like to come up to help clean as we really appreciate having a free range. However, being college students we do not have any shovels,rake, etc.

We always try and bring extra tools soit should not be a problem.

Agreed. There will be plenty of extra rakes and shovels as long as most people bring their own. I think we normally bring 4 or 5 of each.

Capybara
01-23-2013, 6:48 AM
Our chance of rain is down to 20% from 30% yesterday. A high of 55 degrees according to NOAA, bring those warm clothes!

Deadbolt
01-23-2013, 7:15 AM
definitely bring extra if you have them. I'm a townhouse dweller and my tools are limited to gas driven necessary implements heh, but id imagine others are apartment / townhouse bound as well

you bring the tools - i'll bring the n95 masks:D :chris:

caluke
01-23-2013, 7:19 AM
What does everyone think about me bringing an atv with a 5x10 trailer behind it to help move far away trash to the dumpster? We could load it up then drop it in front of the dumpster for the tractor to put in. Just an idea.

gtturborex
01-23-2013, 8:42 AM
What does everyone think about me bringing an atv with a 5x10 trailer behind it to help move far away trash to the dumpster? We could load it up then drop it in front of the dumpster for the tractor to put in. Just an idea.

I've thought about that as well. We would need to get it cleared through the forestry service first though. I wouldn't see it being an issue since we already have a tractor out there. I will call Larry to make sure it is ok.

Mike

caluke
01-23-2013, 8:54 AM
Ok cool. Let me know what they say. I think it will be very helpful.

patobravo
01-23-2013, 9:35 AM
Wouldn't the tires puncture? There is sooooo much sharp, jagged junk out there.

gtturborex
01-23-2013, 1:11 PM
Wouldn't the tires puncture? There is sooooo much sharp, jagged junk out there.

Quad tires are generally pretty tough. They handle sharp rocks and gravel at high speed

gtturborex
01-23-2013, 1:19 PM
Ok cool. Let me know what they say. I think it will be very helpful.

I spoke with Larry from the forest service and he thinks it will be fine for the special event. He wanted me to call Eric (the guy who will be there with us) to clear it through him as well. Have to call tomorrow since he is off today.

Capybara
01-23-2013, 6:51 PM
There is a 70% chance of rain on Friday and Friday night. It may be prudent to bring some boots that you don't mind getting muddy. The good news is there should be zero dust and particulate in the air so that will be good.

Deadbolt
01-23-2013, 6:57 PM
the ATV is a neat idea and yes their tires are generally pretty resilient but i mean, we're talking about pieces of shredded metal that is literally "worse than broken glass" in terms of damage its able to do to inflated wheels.

I've literally had an edge go through a 1/6th of an inch of leather and into my finger(s).

THAT BEING SAID WE LOVE ALL THE EXTRA IMPLEMENTS WE CAN GET

so check w/ ranger larry and if he's cool and you dont mind a tire or two getting beat - bring it :D :chris:

caluke
01-23-2013, 8:22 PM
I think the tires should be ok, but whatever happens happens. Hopefully not too much carnage. I will make sure to bring the tire plug kit along also.

keder
01-24-2013, 6:18 AM
Have 1 more potential helper, but not 100% on him being able to make it.

gtturborex
01-24-2013, 6:53 AM
This weather sucks... Hopefully it doesn't rain so much tomorrow so it has some time to dry out. As of now we are still a go since Saturday looks good.

dougolupski
01-24-2013, 7:05 AM
Well its really nice here in Denver right now. Dont be bring me down by talking about sludging in mud on Saturday.

dougolupski
01-24-2013, 7:10 AM
Hey one random thought for those that have ranger Larry's ear. Since we will have a tractor would it be possible to shift the firing line rocks on the edge near the main road inward more. It would be nice to shift the angle of fire slightly farther away from the main road. I'm sure Larry would be the only one that could approve it.

Like I said random thought, even I hate driving up that road. Im not sure ducking and squinting helps when I pass by.

BLC
01-24-2013, 7:37 AM
If the wife will let me out I am in, its our wedding anniversary. I am relatively close and can help for a couple hours and still get back for whatever she may have planned. :)

patobravo
01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Since we will have a tractor would it be possible to shift the firing line rocks on the edge near the main road inward more.

One of the ranger/officers (the gun toting variety) told me there's talk within the department to possibly rotate the whole firing line CCW 90 at some point for that very reason.

patobravo
01-24-2013, 11:06 AM
If the wife will let me out I am in, its our wedding anniversary. I am relatively close and can help for a couple hours and still get back for whatever she may have planned. :)

If this is your brass anniversary you're really in luck!

Capybara
01-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Good point Pato. If you read the local EdHat thread on Glass Factory, there are complaints from hikers and bicyclists that when they come down E. Camino Cielo from above the range, they always feel as if the firing line is shooting at them. It is reasonably safe as it is, but might be safer if the firing line was rotated a bit.

The other thing from a safety standpoint that I have seen happen up there is some idiots will be on the secondary range, which as we all know faces away from the main range at about 35 degrees, and fire at targets on the main range. Those angles definitely don't work, it is dangerous as hell and I have yelled at shooters on that secondary range not to do that. It causes ricochets and the line of site could result in rounds going off the range, toward the right side of the main range, where bicyclists commonly come flying down E. Camino Cielo. Not sure how we can mitigate that, but it makes me nervous when I have been there. As long as those shooters stick to shooting into the little backstop on their range, very safe. But when they do stupid things like fire across to the big range, accident waiting to happen.

Any ideas about how mitigate that happening? Can we erect a 20' high wall of railroad ties between the main and secondary ranges so that they can't shoot in the unsafe direction? It would only take about 20 or 30 tons of railroad ties, a crane and rebar? ;-)

Can'thavenuthingood
01-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Probably not RR ties, it will be shot up, but something visual to discern a line of sight like a chalk line does.

It would have to be raised high enough for shooters at the firing line to see. Some sort of squaring off the range lines and markers.

Like an orange plastic type snow fence stretched out the length.

Can we plant some sort of plants in a line or hedge, something needing little water as it looks fairly dry there.

Visual cues are needed for sure.

Maybe a Drone, we could take turns on Drone watch or have it connected to an Internet URL we could look at anytime.
Aw there goes the privacy, that won't work.

Vick

Capybara
01-24-2013, 1:02 PM
I really like the idea of the snow fence. That wouldn't be worth shooting up, too many holes in it already but it would make it hard to draw a line of site from that secondary range. Great idea!

Sub95
01-24-2013, 3:11 PM
oh it will get shot up.

caluke
01-24-2013, 4:45 PM
Any word on the quad?

Amacias805
01-24-2013, 5:44 PM
ill be there!

chozenfew805
01-24-2013, 7:04 PM
What time are we supposed to kick things off on Saturday?

caluke
01-24-2013, 8:00 PM
Pretty sure everything is starting at 9a.m.

gtturborex
01-24-2013, 8:08 PM
Any word on the quad?

I'm sorry I got swamped at work today so I didn't get a chance to call. Tomorrow should be a slower day so I will have time in the morning to make the call.

gtturborex
01-24-2013, 8:13 PM
When I call tomorrow I will throw out the idea of moving the rocks out at an angle to point away from the road. Otherwise I think we should just do it. As long as its not too radical I doubt anyone would notice. Lets just "nudge" them. It's a public area and you wouldn't get in trouble for rolling any other rocks from anywhere else in the forest. Plus it's a safety thing anyways.

Capybara
01-24-2013, 8:54 PM
Sounds good to me. I am always about the safety. It's fun to move boulders when you have the tool to do it.

gtturborex
01-24-2013, 9:06 PM
Sounds good to me. I am always about the safety. It's fun to move boulders when you have the tool to do it.

Exactly. The tractor will already be there so we might as well take advantage of it. Plus the bike riders and hikers will have to come up with something else to complain about.

caluke
01-24-2013, 9:12 PM
No big deal. I agree that moving the firing line a little is a good idea.

avenged56
01-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Not to deter from the clean up, but i have an AR issue. My front sight is canted slightly and i think its because of the barrel... if anyone can help me on sat ill be there with jeans and boots :)

TheExiled
01-25-2013, 6:46 AM
You copied my outfit! Look for a big green dodge pickup, I'd be happy to take a look

RedMonkey
01-25-2013, 6:49 AM
Hope both of you guys wear shirts. I hear it's gonna be cold.

gtturborex
01-25-2013, 7:15 AM
Hope both of you guys wear shirts. I hear it's gonna be cold.

Haha! That would be a great press release. A bunch of guys out in the rain cleaning up the range with just some jeans and boots on.

Can'thavenuthingood
01-25-2013, 7:20 AM
I just rented a car so I'll be heading down early Saturday morning, figure it'll take about 4 hours drive time.

I'll have the Calguns.net signs on the car so watch for someone looking lost:)

Anyone know if there is cell phone reception up there?

Bringing the Concealed Carry vest's, also thought about bringing along some sweatshirts and hooded sweatshirts, someone may want one.
Free Shipping, yippee.

Vick

Coolcom
01-25-2013, 7:24 AM
With AT&T and iPhone 5, I get Edge data with 2 bars.