PDA

View Full Version : I need a better camera (Bobcat pics)

DirtyDave
12-01-2012, 5:38 PM
Saw this guy today. He was on private property, so I could only shoot him with my crappy camera.
About 75yds away, hunting mice. I parked the truck and got out with the camera.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/DSidoti/Hunting/100_1966.jpg

Circled around behind him about 40-50yds away and took a knee behind a bush.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/DSidoti/Hunting/100_1967.jpg

Gave a few lip squeaks and here he comes
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/DSidoti/Hunting/100_1968.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/DSidoti/Hunting/100_1969.jpg

He got about 12-15 feet away before he figured something was up and made a hard right.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/DSidoti/Hunting/100_1970.jpg

He trotted off and gave me the look-back before heading out of sight.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/DSidoti/Hunting/100_1971.jpg

He was right next to public land, I'll go back and turn my dog loose on him and see if we can get him tree'd before 1-1-13

kgcabs
12-01-2012, 6:31 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Cool!

mzhunter
12-01-2012, 9:03 PM
that would of been three crispy hundreds in my pocket !!!

DirtyDave
12-01-2012, 9:05 PM
that would of been three crispy hundreds in my pocket !!!

Not if you have to trespass and shoot within 150yds of a house to get it

mzhunter
12-01-2012, 9:09 PM
i know just when i see a cat it looks like a three hundred dollar bill walking

huntandski
12-01-2012, 9:18 PM
Wow nice pics

mzhunter
12-01-2012, 9:19 PM
dave you see any bears ? you been looking ?

reachoutar
12-01-2012, 9:19 PM
i know just when i see a cat it looks like a three hundred dollar bill walking

hows that?

Bill Carson
12-01-2012, 9:22 PM
I am not a hunter so excuse me for the question. How does getting a bobcat get you 300 dollars.

mzhunter
12-01-2012, 9:24 PM
thats the average price for there pelts

reachoutar
12-01-2012, 9:28 PM
thats the average price for there pelts

Are bob cats good to eat? or do you just hunt them for the pelts?

mzhunter
12-01-2012, 9:29 PM
there not bad its a acquired taste

reachoutar
12-01-2012, 9:36 PM
i was raised you shoot it you eat it. I think to hunt any animal for just its pelt it lame. bu that is just my .02

mzhunter
12-01-2012, 9:40 PM
the check for 15 g's i got last year feels pretty lame in my pocket

DirtyDave
12-01-2012, 9:44 PM
I think to hunt any animal for just its pelt it lame. bu that is just my .02

Yeah, thats why I dont take the pelt from most coyotes.... Dont want to be lame

DirtyDave
12-01-2012, 9:46 PM
dave you see any bears ? you been looking ?

I was bear hunting today. Saw this cat while driving to another spot. Saw some bear tracks this morning but they were old and my dog didnt pick up any scent from them. Only HOT scents she picked up were deer. Going out again next weekend.

mzhunter
12-01-2012, 9:56 PM
you want company ? you kill it ill help you drag it out i also know someone who can turn it into a rug. me.let me know

reachoutar
12-01-2012, 9:56 PM
the check for 15 g's i got last year feels pretty lame in my pocket

i was raised to hunt not just kill. I just think its a shame to kill anything just for a mount or pelt. i am not trying to start a war, i will just find other ways to make my money

mzhunter
12-01-2012, 9:59 PM
i was raised to hunt not just kill. I just think its a shame to kill anything just for a mount or pelt. i am not trying to start a war, i will just find other ways to make my money

thats cool i do eat everything i kill

mzhunter
12-01-2012, 9:59 PM
any kind of meat when jerked taste gooooooood !!!

TrailerparkTrash
12-02-2012, 12:24 AM
I hunt some animals for their fur only and some for food. Some both food and fur. I don't care what anyone else thinks. I have no probs killing a animal legally for it's fur. It's been that way since cave men invented arrow heads. You think they just killed for food and clothing???? Think again.

Abesnake
12-02-2012, 4:28 AM
I hunt some animals for their fur only and some for food. Some both food and fur. I don't care what anyone else thinks. I have no probs killing a animal legally for it's fur. It's been that way since cave men invented arrow heads. You think they just killed for food and clothing???? Think again.

No, TPT, people did kill to survive, but we don't have to anymore. People have evolved and dramatically increased in number. Animal populations have dwindled everywhere, because of us. It would be nice if you think this over and WOULD care. There is plenty of hunting to be done without being random. At least donate what you don't want to eat to Hunters for Hunger and feed someone else.

calduc
12-02-2012, 8:43 AM
Nice picture. I hunt bear and bobcat as well. Nice to see some local people hunt as well.

reachoutar
12-02-2012, 9:35 AM
No, TPT, people did kill to survive, but we don't have to anymore. People have evolved and dramatically increased in number. Animal populations have dwindled everywhere, because of us. It would be nice if you think this over and WOULD care. There is plenty of hunting to be done without being random. At least donate what you don't want to eat to Hunters for Hunger and feed someone else.

very well said

Dirty dirt
12-02-2012, 9:59 AM
That's funny.

Dirty dirt
12-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Too bad on the dog deal too. Lots of folks had big money in bear and cat dogs. Me I just had a few potlicking hog dogs that any pound would probably reject. Nice pictures. I'd like to have a cat mount some day

reachoutar
12-02-2012, 10:09 AM
That's funny.

thats ok i think ignorance is funny too

IVC
12-02-2012, 11:41 AM

No problem with how you were raised and how you see it, but on what grounds would you extend your personal beliefs on everyone else?

There are certainly other things that you were raised to do differently, so by extension I would assume those are all "shame" too?

IVC
12-02-2012, 11:53 AM

If the world worked that way, scavenger species couldn't survive since there would be no leftovers from the predators.

You do have a point about suggesting donation since it is a kind thing to do. One can choose to donate to overcrowding human population, or one can choose to donate to the dwindling scavenger and other animal population. Nothing wrong with supporting the animals and helping the latter by leaving some food behind in the field.

lewdogg21
12-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Only on calgay do people manage to argue about ethics in every thread... :tdown:

lewdogg21
12-02-2012, 12:03 PM
btw cool pics Dave. Thanks for sharing.

ching
12-02-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't eat Bobcat and Coyote meat, because I don't want to feed the stereotype... But I will wear the hell out of a Bobcat hat!

Great photos.

jawbreaker
12-02-2012, 2:52 PM
Reachouter, I am going to kill all of the coyotes I can and leave them under a bush just for you buddy. Don't come on to a hunting forum and talk crap about people doing something that is perfectly legal no one here wants to hear it.

Good job Dave, we need to make another night run soon.

lewdogg21
12-02-2012, 2:54 PM
Reachouter, I am going to kill all of the coyotes I can and leave them under a bush just for you buddy. Don't come on to a hunting forum and talk crap about people doing something that is perfectly legal no one here wants to hear it.

Welcome back. Please post more pics and stories of your hunts.

DirtyDave
12-02-2012, 3:00 PM

Thanks. Looks like 2 weeks 'til the moon is right

Baxter
12-02-2012, 4:08 PM
Nice pics. I went hunting for those $300 bills today. Only a bunch of sd dogs and fox. Not much money in those though.

jawbreaker
12-02-2012, 4:17 PM
Dave we have a club hunt next weekend so it may be a few weeks before I can get out again but we will.

savannah
12-02-2012, 4:26 PM
I love those pictures. You did an amazing job with your not so great camera. I would have chickened out when it got that close. Good job.

reachoutar
12-02-2012, 4:35 PM

ok tell me what bush and we can meet there anytime. i did not say anything bad about hunting for food. I have hunted bear,dear, pigs and birds. I have a bear rug from the bear i got a few years ago, but i hunt for food not just the rug.

to all you keyboard cowboys.....I said it just my .02 not trying to start a war. I also thought this was a gun site not just a hunting site. this is my last post in this thread.

jawbreaker
12-02-2012, 6:02 PM
Bye!

Baxter
12-02-2012, 6:14 PM
Reach,
There are a lot of predator hunters on this sub-forum, so you might get some answers you don't like and some pretty different opinions than yours.
You would really disagree with my profession, seeing as I never eat what I put down on a daly basis, or use the fur. Wish I could use it but the state thinks differently.
Dave, why didn't you jump out like the boogie man when that cat got close? That is good times

DirtyDave
12-02-2012, 6:36 PM
Reach,
Dave, why didn't you jump out like the boogie man when that cat got close? That is good times

I thought about it. Would be funny to see how big its eyes would get and watch it try to back pedal out of its skin haha. But I didnt want to spook it too bad cuz it was right next to public land and I was hoping it would wander over that way and give me a shot. Main goal was to see how close I could bring it in for pics.

jawbreaker
12-02-2012, 6:45 PM
If you jumped up and yelled then maybe you would have scared it out of its skin then people wouldn't get offended or have a problem with killing it for it's fir.

DirtyDave
12-02-2012, 7:44 PM
If you jumped up and yelled then maybe you would have scared it out of its skin then people wouldn't get offended or have a problem with killing it for it's fir.

I'll have to try that next time. Would be like mugging the cat for $300

cruddymutt
12-02-2012, 9:10 PM
Called a kitty in last night but it stayed pretty far out, never got off a shot. Also called in many, many kit fox. Really starting to not like them. For being endagered I sure seem to call them in at almost every stand!

cowboyup
12-02-2012, 9:15 PM

Epic. +1 DD

Aeonstar
12-02-2012, 9:53 PM
So this lil kitty is worth 300$? To who? This cats goingv the wall and I'm getting the skull cleaned
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af180/aeonstar3/EFC39F9E-4322-45B6-8216-186E031BEEDE-227-000000081AA5AEE0.jpg

DirtyDave
12-02-2012, 10:23 PM
FYI, for all the guys reading this and thinking they are going to get rich off of selling furs, You need a Trappers License to sell furs. Hunting license doesn't cut it.

mzhunter
12-02-2012, 10:45 PM
its a lot of work a lot of gas money a lot of sleepless nights a lot of skinning a lot of drying a lot of scouting a lot of dealing with looky lews. not for everyone and your not going to get rich you just have to love doing it or it aint worth it

mzhunter
12-03-2012, 12:32 AM
So this lil kitty is worth 300$? To who? This cats goingv the wall and I'm getting the skull cleaned
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af180/aeonstar3/EFC39F9E-4322-45B6-8216-186E031BEEDE-227-000000081AA5AEE0.jpg

nice cat
here's one from my collection

TrailerparkTrash
12-03-2012, 2:37 AM
No, TPT, people did kill to survive, but we don't have to anymore. People have evolved and dramatically increased in number.
"We don't have to anymore?" Really? Ummm, you do realize that we now have farms, businesses and corporations that solely deal in the business of mass animal death. They are called "slaughter houses." "Farmer John" is a big one, maybe you've heard of them before? Yes, we have evolved "dramatically," as you've correctly pointed out. Now, it's more streamlined in the animal massacre food procurement process now. I guess if you don't see or do the killing yourself, it's okay with you then to eat that steak or hot dog, right? Or how about wearing those leather work gloves or your wife's leather purse you bought her as a gift? Is that okay?

Animal populations have dwindled everywhere, because of us. I'm sorry, but I'd agree with you if you were right. Did you know that the North American white tailed deer population is actually larger now than it was 100 years ago? There is a difference between "preservation" and liberal thinking of a dwindling species vs. "conservation" and species survival and growth.

Not only deer, but the waterfowl population has exploded in the past 60 years, thanks to carefully thought out managed and LEGAL hunting conservation. Through proper game management (ie legal HUNTING), the North American gator population has EXPLODED!!!!! For bobcats, why do you think in California a hunter can take 5 (FIVE) bobcats per year and not just one???? Why, because there are plenty of them. I will continue to take their fur, use it and leave the rest of the body to naturally turn itself into "jerky" to feed the coyotes, ravens, CONDORS and insects...... Which, by the way I'll hunt those fat lazy coyotes later, to boot and wind up killing some of those insects with bug spray! :D:D

At least donate what you don't want to eat to Hunters for Hunger and feed someone else.
Tell ya what. You come with me on my next hunt and after I skin a coyote, I'll let you collect the rest of the animal and you find a place that will take it as a donation and serve it up "BBQ style" or whatever.

You do realize that you're in a pro HUNTING forum, right? Please don't come on here trying to insult me with anti-hunting hate and intolerance. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

therealnickb
12-03-2012, 2:56 AM
Well written! And bobcat tags are $3. That should tell you something right there.

MJB
12-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Too bad that thing wasn't on the right side!!

Did joey go off at all?

DirtyDave
12-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Too bad that thing wasn't on the right side!!

Did joey go off at all?

Yeah, after I took the pics I went back to the truck and got Joey out on the leash. Put her on the scent and she went nuts! Told her "get the cat, get the cat" she knows what that means..... Sucks I couldnt let her run the cat though

NastyNate
12-06-2012, 1:58 PM
:rofl2:I don't eat Bobcat and Coyote meat, because I don't want to feed the stereotype... But I will wear the hell out of a Bobcat hat!

Great photos.

A.lawson
12-06-2012, 7:29 PM
Awesome pictures, Good job dirtydave!

Mzhunter, was that cat done by Breck Dickinson? When I had work done by him I could have swore I saw a mount exactly like that in his shop.

mzhunter
12-06-2012, 9:51 PM
it was done by me and my brother in my garage

A.lawson
12-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Oh my mistake! Well great job, I wish I had your skills

mzhunter
12-06-2012, 10:23 PM
no worries, like the custom base i made with a stump and moss from a near by forest, thanks for the compliment

GJC
12-09-2012, 3:18 PM
Only on calgay do people manage to argue about ethics in every thread... :tdown:

No kidding, I come to this thread to read up and people have to try and spout the opinions on somthing that is legal for a reason. ugh :facepalm:

DirtyDave
12-09-2012, 4:15 PM
thats ok i think ignorance is funny too

That's good. Most people cant laugh at themselves...

Comcam
12-09-2012, 5:45 PM
Just got a Bobcat last night, taking it to the taxidermist tomorrow.

pieeater
12-09-2012, 7:24 PM
Just got a Bobcat last night, taking it to the taxidermist tomorrow.

Just be careful who you take it to cats are pretty hard to do.On all cats the face is tough to get right. Some taxidermist can be great at a lot of animals and their cats look crappy. If your in doubt just tell him you are tight on cash and have him send it off for a lifesize tan and you can decide when it gets back.

Rule .308
12-09-2012, 7:40 PM
Don't let the door hit ya!

Comcam
12-11-2012, 8:58 PM
Just be careful who you take it to cats are pretty hard to do.On all cats the face is tough to get right. Some taxidermist can be great at a lot of animals and their cats look crappy. If your in doubt just tell him you are tight on cash and have him send it off for a lifesize tan and you can decide when it gets back.

Thanks man for the advice!

DirtyDave
12-11-2012, 9:13 PM

Ditto on this. Make sure you see the guys previous work on cats. Unless you are going for that "Surprised" look that you see on so many cats haha.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/DSidoti/forum%20stuff/00small64579932.jpg

PS: If I get a full mount done on a Bobcat, i want it to look like this. I want my own grumpy cat
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/DSidoti/forum%20stuff/b31.jpg

TrailerparkTrash
12-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Man I loved the work of Bob at "Bob's Taxidermy" in Fullerton. His faces on all the mounts he did were superb! That's why Hollywood used his mounts almost exclusively for 25+ years before he retired and closed up shop.

Comcam
12-12-2012, 8:53 AM
Grumpycat is awesome, I should go back to them and have them make him look like that lol