PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't vote anymore

triggerhappy
08-03-2007, 8:22 AM
I know that there are many here who disagree, but this is the reason why I don't even care what the CON-gressmen say or do anymore. The sad fact is, they think A) They get to ignore the Constutution, and B) That their opinion is what is supposed to guide them, not common sense or decency. To wit:

August 2, 2007

Mr. Randall P.

Dear Randall:

Thank you for contacting me to further express your opinion on gun control legislation. I have carefully read and considered your comments, and I appreciate this opportunity to explain my own thoughts on this issue once again.

I believe that we need to do a better job in enforcing existing federal and state gun control laws, the recent eruption of gun-related violence in our schools also demonstrates that stronger measures are warranted to restrict juvenile access to guns. I believe that the gun safety measures that I supported were common-sense, effective proposals designed to protect our children and keep guns out of the wrong hands. These sensible measures will not prevent law-abiding citizens from owning guns for sport or collection purposes.

Thank you again for contacting me on this matter. Although we have a differing opinion on this issue, I hope we now have a better understanding of each other's position.

Sincerely,

SAM FARR

Member of Congress

SF/gc

Yes, I'll be sending a rebuttal, but you just gotta know he won't care a lick about it... Count one more CONgressman for the Soviet way.

Go ahead, flame me, I deserve it. :)

And yeah, I feel sooooo much better that we shared our feelings, Me, and Sam.

Fjold
08-03-2007, 8:36 AM
That's one side, the other side is that there may not be someone that I want to vote for but there is always someone or something that I want to vote against.

I vote every election but not for every issue or office on the ballot. Some I don't care about but some are things that I want to vote against.

If you always vote for his opponent even if his opponent is anti -gun, if the opponent wins he's a junior congressman and doesn't get to introduce any bills, etc. The big fear is that the current slimeball gets to be a senior congressman in his party and starts dictating his bad ideas as party policy.

C.G.
08-03-2007, 9:32 AM
That's one side, the other side is that there may not be someone that I want to vote for but there is always someone or something that I want to vote against.

I vote every election but not for every issue or office on the ballot. Some I don't care about but some are things that I want to vote against.

If you always vote for his opponent even if his opponent is anti -gun, if the opponent wins he's a junior congressman and doesn't get to introduce any bills, etc. The big fear is that the current slimeball gets to be a senior congressman in his party and starts dictating his bad ideas as party policy.

+1. Vote against the so-called Honorable Sam Farr.

Glock22Fan
08-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Apathy and ignorance are the main enemies of the 2nd because, because,

I can't remember,

and who cares anyway?

Someone else can fight my battles (yawn)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

</sarcasm>

bwiese
08-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Most elections are won or lost by a few votes (i.e, 3-5) per voting precinct.

A few more gunnies coming out during a lower-turnout election can have a good effect.

Gunnies that don't vote "cuz it just don't do no good" are playing right into the hands of the Bradyites.

Glock22Fan
08-03-2007, 11:06 AM
"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -- Alice Walker

"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone." -- James Madison

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

"It is not only for what we do that we are held responsible, but also for what we do not do." -- Moliere

"We are judged by our actions, not by our words." -- Billy Jack

All these quotes, and many more, can be found on the Team Billy Jack website, quotes (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/cccw/cache/quotes.html)

Jack_Bauer
08-03-2007, 11:15 AM
This is why I don't vote, I'd rather have a fictitious TV hero then the candidates running.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m79/kalmstyle/IMG_1139.jpg

There were a few others on my SF ballot that only had one candidate in each category a la pre-war Iraq.

SemiAutoSam
08-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Another reason that most of you most likely have not thought of is some individuals that live in California State dont want to declare that they are a US citizen. Some of those individuals realise that there is a difference between a United States citizen and a united states Citizen.

and feel since there is no place to declare that your not a 14th amendment citizen they would rather just bow out of the whole mess.

If you want to know more about this study the appropriate links in my sig line.

tacticalcity
08-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Voting is making a choice between the best of two evils. You vote for the guy who comes closest to agreeing with you on most issues. He may disogree on an issue or two, but for the most part you vote for the guy who makes the most sense between the two choices. In my case, as a gun owner and former Airman, that has always been a Republican. For you, that might not be the case.

Not voting is all out surrender. If you didn't bother to vote, then I won't bother to listen to you ***** and complain about politics. If you're too lazy to do your part, then you don't get a say...not even on the Internet!

xenophobe
08-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Yes, I'll be sending a rebuttal, but you just gotta know he won't care a lick about it... Count one more CONgressman for the Soviet way.

Why bother sending a rebuttal if you're not going to vote... That's like the most empty threat I've heard about in a long time.

Prc329
08-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Me being black (I always hated that african american term) it was not that long ago people just like me would have had the dogs turned on them for trying to vote. I vote to honor them and I always believed that if I do not at least try to make a change then I have no right to complain when things get messed up.

Even if my measures or candidates don't win I can at the least say I tried to make the changes I believed would be better. It is very easy to get discouraged but we should all be diligent because the opposition will.

Gmountain
08-03-2007, 7:03 PM
If you don't vote, you should be ashamed of yourself. It's a right AND a responsibility. Not voting is simply cowardly. You can spout all the excuses you want, but the simple truth is that you are afraid.

magsnubby
08-03-2007, 7:47 PM
Me being black (I always hated that african american term) it was not that long ago people just like me would have had the dogs turned on them for trying to vote. I vote to honor them and I always believed that if I do not at least try to make a change then I have no right to complain when things get messed up.

Even if my measures or candidates don't win I can at the least say I tried to make the changes I believed would be better. It is very easy to get discouraged but we should all be diligent because the opposition will.

I would suggest you read this post a couple of times. Then think about it for awhile. Then read it again.

Satex
08-03-2007, 9:20 PM
When you DONT vote, you are increasing the power of all those who want to take your rights away.
While your candidates don't always win, you vote counts. Look at it this way, with 300 million citizens, what would have happened 7 years ago, if just 30 thousand (0.01%) would have voted differently?
I never give up my right to vote, even if I don't like the candidates.

SemiAutoSam
08-03-2007, 9:39 PM
DO you know what happened in 1944 with regard to elections and voting ?

Maybe this will help.
http://melvindaleonline.com/uscon/Law%20Dept.htm

If you don't vote, you should be ashamed of yourself. It's a right AND a responsibility. Not voting is simply cowardly. You can spout all the excuses you want, but the simple truth is that you are afraid.

When you vote you just kid yourself and think your making a difference.

Your not. The owners of this country will do with it what they want whether you vote or not.

When you DONT vote, you are increasing the power of all those who want to take your rights away.
While your candidates don't always win, you vote counts. Look at it this way, with 300 million citizens, what would have happened 7 years ago, if just 30 thousand (0.01%) would have voted differently?
I never give up my right to vote, even if I don't like the candidates.

C.G.
08-03-2007, 9:50 PM

Your not. The owners of this country will do with it what they want whether you vote or not.

So what will sitting on your butt and not voting do, exactly?:confused:

SemiAutoSam
08-03-2007, 9:58 PM
Well I haven't been just sitting on my butt. But you also have to realise if you dont agree to their statement on the form that you are a US citizen you cannot vote. They will only let US citizens vote, There is no provision with the SOS for United States Citizens to vote their hasn't been since before 1944. If you will read the link I posted above.

Ive been attempting to educate those that would listen just about from day one when I joined this board but dont always have the correct amount of patience to do this.

As has been said in the past you can take a horse to water but you cant make him drink. and thus is the same way in informing people of the truth as Mark has said in quoting J. Edger Hoover

"The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists"

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=684842&postcount=5

So what will sitting of your butt and not voting do, exactly?:confused:

triggerhappy
08-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Most elections are won or lost by a few votes (i.e, 3-5) per voting precinct.

A few more gunnies coming out during a lower-turnout election can have a good effect.

Gunnies that don't vote "cuz it just don't do no good" are playing right into the hands of the Bradyites.

OK, that said, I am (Thank you, Lord) moving to a much less populated area (Mendocino). Isn't it more likely that there would be a greater impact in such an area? I mean, I'm not against voting, per se. I just wanna nuke something when, yet AGAIN, logic and reason get thrown out for "progressive" ideas.

Thanks for your input, guys, it is appreciated :)

By the way, for those who believe that I am either lazy or afraid (of what, I do not know), suffice it to say that I love my country more than words can adequately say, and were she attacked by idiots, I would gladly fight alongside any one of you.

It just seems at times, that perhaps voting is a bad idea, because it allows these criminals in CONgress, etc to carry on as if they had a mandate, as if we approved of what they do.

Anyway, after I move, I'll give it a shot again. Seems like people up there want what's sensible and more along tradidtional American lines-that's what I want to vote for, not against say, Newsom instead of Feinstein kinda thing, ya know?

CitaDeL
08-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Yeah, don't vote anymore.

Nothing gets your point across more poignantly than allowing an unemployed 19 year old neo-marxist, 'Che-loving' vegan make your important political life choices for you.

C.G.
08-04-2007, 1:10 AM
Well I haven't been just sitting on my butt. But you also have to realise if you dont agree to their statement on the form that you are a US citizen you cannot vote. They will only let US citizens vote, There is no provision with the SOS for United States Citizens to vote their hasn't been since before 1944. If you will read the link I posted above.

Ive been attempting to educate those that would listen just about from day one when I joined this board but dont always have the correct amount of patience to do this.

As has been said in the past you can take a horse to water but you cant make him drink. and thus is the same way in informing people of the truth as Mark has said in quoting J. Edger Hoover

"The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists"

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=684842&postcount=5

Ok, so you are not voting on principle, I do not have a problem with that, after all this is supposed to be a free country.
I still fail to see where your position helps to change things.

Gmountain
08-04-2007, 5:41 AM
DO you know what happened in 1944 with regard to elections and voting ?

Maybe this will help.
http://melvindaleonline.com/uscon/Law%20Dept.htm

I looked at that site. I cannot put any credence in someone posting some drivel without identifying who they are. That exact text is posted on other sites as well, without attribution or identifying the author. Once you indentify the author, then we can have a discussion about it. So, who wrote that?

SemiAutoSam
08-04-2007, 8:55 AM
Yes that is true not knowing who the author is makes it hard to attack the writer of the information and not debate the information that is at hand and presented. What does it matter who the author is either the information is valid or its not. You can find some of this information in the national register.

I dont consider what has happened to our country in the past 200 years drivel. and that site IMHO is spot on to what happened and explains that those that claim to be US citizens are only voting for officers of the corporation called the UNITED STATES.

I looked at that site. I cannot put any credence in someone posting some drivel without identifying who they are. That exact text is posted on other sites as well, without attribution or identifying the author. Once you identify the author, then we can have a discussion about it. So, who wrote that?

Fjold
08-04-2007, 9:01 AM
If gun people don't vote, they're just giving creedence to all those CA bashers on ARF.com. They help elect all the gun grabbers and liberals in this state by not voting against them.

If half of the non voting people who are disgusted with the way that this state is run voted, we wouldn't have half of the problems that we do.

scootergmc
08-04-2007, 9:04 AM
Yes that is true not knowing who the author is makes it hard to attack the writer of the information and not debate the information that is at hand and presented. What does it matter who the author is either the information is valid or its not. You can find some of this information in the national register.

I dont consider what has happened to our country in the past 200 years drivel. and that site IMHO is spot on to what happened and explains that those that claim to be US citizens are only voting for officers of the corporation called the UNITED STATES.

And whether or not the USA is controlled by secret corporations, FED, whatever, those 'officers' make decisions everyday that affect your life... so I'll continue voting, rather than attempt to make a feeble effort to take myself off the grid.

To those of you who don't vote, too bad. This more perfect union still has some original fuctions in place, and I'll choose to participate no matter what my citizen status is. Your forefathers would be disappointed. And yes- I know they might be disappointed by the current state of the nation/corporation, blah blah blah....

But as for me, I'll exercise my right to vote every opportunity I get.

Oh yeah, and I'll add this: It's always amazing how those of you who are so-called "informed" think those otherwise are ignorant, uneducated, and obtuse. :rolleyes:

Gmountain
08-04-2007, 9:26 AM
Yes that is true not knowing who the author is makes it hard to attack the writer of the information and not debate the information that is at hand and presented.

Ah, so now you admit that it is made up, because you refuse to identify the source. When you decide to identify the writer, then we can look at it. Until then, it is clear that is is made up.

So the question remains-do you even know who wrote it? If so, why won't you reveal it? Once you decide to clue us in, then we can start having real discussions.

Prc329
08-04-2007, 1:34 PM
An earlier post hit the nail on the head. if we are voting for officers of a corporation or a true government really doesn't matter. The people voted to these offices do make decisions that will have an impact on our lives.

Corporate officer/senator Fienstien has done a wonderful job at taking away our rights as well as other elected officals. if we don't vote against what ever they are we are making it easier for them.

Again, don't complain about things not changing if you are not working in the system we have to change it. Ignoring the system will not help fix it. My grandfather and his father worked to give me the right to vote. I think I atleast owe it to them to use that right.

jumbopanda
08-04-2007, 1:48 PM
Again, don't complain about things not changing if you are not working in the system we have to change it. Ignoring the system will not help fix it. My grandfather and his father worked to give me the right to vote. I think I atleast owe it to them to use that right.

Exactly. Otherwise you might as well just say, "all gun laws are unconstitutional therefore I am not going to follow them", rather than trying to get them changed.

SAS, you're a slave of the system whether you like it or not ;)

Piper
08-04-2007, 2:17 PM
I vote because by not voting I might as well be voting for the person or thing that I dislike. If necessary, I will vote for the lesser of the evils and hope they or it wins. I think at this time in history, it isn't just a right, it's a duty to vote your concious regardless of the outcome, if for no other reason than to close the gap between the opposing viewpoints. Politicians read the final outcome of the vote. And if the margin is wide, they will think that the public in general accepts the winning point of view. That margin needs to be narrowed to show that the opposing points of view are more even. And for those that don't vote, there are dozens of you that think like that. Think of all of those votes that could close that wide margin. Apathy is not an option, it's telling those that you disagree with that you relent, you've caved, given up, are unwilling to fight or just plain agree with them. But hey, that's just my not so humble opinion. :D

dustoff31
08-04-2007, 5:13 PM
Ya gotta vote man. The only truly wasted vote is one that is not cast. Equally important is to vote your concious. Here is a couple of things to think about.

1. The lesser of the evils is still evil.

2. As we have this exchange, somewhere a guy (at least one) wearing a tin foil hat and diaper is sitting on his couch talking to his dog. And on election day, this person will go to the polling place and vote for the guy his dog told him to vote for. Don't you think that you should have at least as much say in the future of the country as he does?