PDA

View Full Version : how to legally sell a 50+ yr old firearm?

tommyfly
11-30-2012, 4:46 PM
Hey guys, i have a springfield model 15 that was made in the 40's that i want to sell to a friend. I was searching the proper way to do this, and i came across something in the Calguns Wiki that said any long gun over 50 years old could be sold, face to face, no FFL needed.

I was just hoping I could get a couple of you to confirm or bust this, as its the first time i had heard of such a law. Search engine turned up nothing.

Thanks in advance!

bill_k_lopez
11-30-2012, 4:52 PM
So you came across the wiki that told you this was ok, and didn't believe it - so now you want complete strangers who are on the forum you didn't beleive to tell you its true and then you'll believe it?
As long as your friend isn't

a minor
a drug addict
someone who has a felony or certain misdemeanor criminal record that prohibits them from owning a gun

then yes - you can just sell him the (long) gun for cash and each part ways.

chillincody
11-30-2012, 4:55 PM
yes that is correct 50+ year old (long guns only) can be sold without a ffl between 2 ca residents as long as the buyer is atleast 18 years old and not a prohibited person but this all ends when long gun registration begins in the begining of the year I think cant remember the exact date

tommyfly
11-30-2012, 5:01 PM
So you came across the wiki that told you this was ok, and didn't believe it - so now you want complete strangers who are on the forum you didn't beleive to tell you its true and then you'll believe it?
As long as your friend isn't

a minor
a drug addict
someone who has a felony or certain misdemeanor criminal record that prohibits them from owning a gun

then yes - you can just sell him the (long) gun for cash and each part ways.

if calguns wiki is anything like normal wiki, anyone can edit it.

I just wanted confirmation from more then one source

Thanks for the help

Capybara
11-30-2012, 5:03 PM
FTF C&R transactions ends January 1, 2014. Buy 'em while you can. I am up to six, it is the most fun way to buy a gun.

paul0660
11-30-2012, 5:03 PM
Not only that, you can ship it to a non prohibited California resident 18+.

chillincody
11-30-2012, 5:05 PM

Thanks for the help

the calguns wiki is done by mods and cal guns lawyers so you can trust what is posted :cool2:

Quiet
11-30-2012, 5:15 PM
Hey guys, i have a springfield model 15 that was made in the 40's that i want to sell to a friend. I was searching the proper way to do this, and i came across something in the Calguns Wiki that said any long gun over 50 years old could be sold, face to face, no FFL needed.

I was just hoping I could get a couple of you to confirm or bust this, as its the first time i had heard of such a law. Search engine turned up nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Here is the CA law [PC 27965] that confirms what the calguns wiki said.

Penal Code 27965
(a) If all of the following requirements are satisfied, Section 27545 does not apply to the sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm:
(1) The sale, loan, or transfer is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.
(2) The firearm is not a handgun.
(3) The firearm is a curio or relic manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date but is not a replica, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor.
(b) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2014, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2014, deletes or extends that date.

Librarian
11-30-2012, 6:09 PM

Thanks for the help

It's not like other wikis - it's locked.

And since the article specifically cites the Penal Code, and provides an off-wiki link to the Penal Code ....

Cunha
11-30-2012, 6:33 PM
Penal Code 27965
(a) If all of the following requirements are satisfied, Section 27545 does not apply to the sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm:
(3) The firearm is a curio or relic manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date but is not a replica, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor.
(b) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2014, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2014, deletes or extends that date.

So it looks like this Penal code was intended to be extended. We should make this happen.

Also - to be clear - there is no "long gun registration" in the works, is there?

IrishPirate
11-30-2012, 6:36 PM
he puts cash in your hand, you put gun in his hands....or he puts cash in your hands, you run away with cash and gun in both hands while letting out an evil laugh...:43:

Librarian
11-30-2012, 6:56 PM
Penal Code 27965

So it looks like this Penal code was intended to be extended. We should make this happen.

Also - to be clear - there is no "long gun registration" in the works, is there?

PC 27966 in fact replaces 27965, and that section requires using a 'regular' FFL for those C&R transactions, beginning 2014. See the sticky in this forum, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=399849

Cunha
11-30-2012, 6:58 PM
Thankyou Librarian. Too bad.