PDA

View Full Version : Glock 3-Dot Bubba...

Red Devil
11-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Hey y'all...

My stingy Scotch-Irish fingers managed to find a work-a-round for my mild dislike of the original Glock sights...

...a 3/32" X 1/2" piece of black electrical tape.

Project:
Time - 5 minutes.
Cost - $0.001 (because I already had the roll and can use the rest of it elsewhere)

May mask the goal-posts and paint the cross-bar w/ flat-black paint if I still like it after a while.

Currently entertaining Comments/Concerns/Suggestions...

Grumpyoldretiredcop
11-30-2012, 1:20 PM
Nice thinking! You might consider, if you do paint it, masking a little above the crossbar so that the remaining white more closely resembles the perceived height of the front sight dot.

DRAB_81
11-30-2012, 2:01 PM
For f#€k sakes go buy some real sights ya cheap bastard...

HighLander51
11-30-2012, 2:05 PM
like these

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image35447.jpg

drunktank
11-30-2012, 2:10 PM
It's a good way to "try before you buy".

I sharpied my rear sight and like it so much better. Either Heinies or Warrens are in my future.

Red Devil
11-30-2012, 2:19 PM
For f#€k sakes go buy some real sights ya cheap bastard...

Pretty quick w/ My money there... should have expected as much from the Soviet Province of LeftCoastastan. :D

Democrats...

Slicendice
11-30-2012, 2:28 PM
like these

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image35447.jpg

How do you like the warren tactical? Recently put the sevigny comp rear on my g34 and was thinking about the warren tactical for my g19.

HighLander51
11-30-2012, 4:36 PM
How do you like the warren tactical? Recently put the sevigny comp rear on my g34 and was thinking about the warren tactical for my g19.

It takes some getting used to, wider rear and U shape with ear cuts. Quicker, but I am old school and kinda of like the Heine rear and Dawson optic front, for competition, not for carry. I like the Trijicon 3 dot best for carry. The ones shown are only 4 of 9, I will get around to a group photo one day.

Red Devil
12-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Well...

I've been foolin' w/ this setup for a little while and have mixed impressions.

- The squares (rectangles) on the rear sight are readily distinguishable from the round front sight.
- The Two-square rear sight is less visible and distinctive then the Std. rear sight, and tends to be a little harder to see and subsequently slower to find and set.

Pertinent Factors:

- My eyes have gotten a little soft of late, and the rear sight has become a little extra blurry.
- I have been shooting the Std. Glock sights for decades... and my brain/hand/eye know them cold - Put the ball in the cup and squeeeeze.

Would be interested in a more objective analysis of this simple mod. as I know a bunch of new Glockionados that don't know much past the fact that they don't understand the Std. Glock sights.

Slicendice
12-01-2012, 9:10 PM
Have you tried an all black rear? I find that I get a faster focus on the front sight with less distraction from the rear sight. I've tried 3 dot, std glock(ball in cup), and just like the plain black rear (with a fiber or night-sight front)better.

gorenut
12-01-2012, 9:54 PM
Good job on getting "3-dots"

Though personally, I would just buy new sights. For me, the problem with the Glock sights aren't even the lack of dots, its the shape of them and the fact that they're plastic. I've had a set of rears totally dent on me before. When I'm shooting, I don't even pay much attention to the dots or markings anyways. I just match up the silhouette; with the stock sights, a lot of times this end sup looking just like a hump rather than seeing a distinct flat alignment on top.

If you shop around, you can get a set of Heinies for $40ish - along with many other brands as long as they're not night sights.

Red Devil
12-02-2012, 8:45 AM
Have you tried an all black rear? I find that I get a faster focus on the front sight with less distraction from the rear sight. I've tried 3 dot, std glock(ball in cup), and just like the plain black rear (with a fiber or night-sight front)better.

The Std. sights don't have enough vernier (gap) for me to use other than range work. Dots/Ball-n-cup will keep me inside of ~ 3-4" at 25 yards... Minute-of-Headshot for me. :D

(Although I don't seem to have a problem w/ my 6-1/2" Blackhawk or 6-7/8" Mk II.)

Thinking of maybe tryin' the big-dot sights... my brain seems to need all the info from something like the Std. Ball-n-cup to run automatic.

For young eyes, I thought this was kinda neat.

Fishslayer
12-03-2012, 9:16 AM
Needs one of those end cap thingies with the Punisher logo... ;)

Looks good. Tried that once but they didn't work out for me. Didn't look as nice as yours either...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=182185&d=1354307496

fullrearview
12-03-2012, 9:29 AM
I prefer xs sights or three dots... When I have used the stock glock sights, I found I still had a sight picture shooting with both eyes open....