PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on Sig Factory Magazines

Eldraque
11-30-2012, 10:09 AM
I bought my first handgun, A New Sig Sauer P226 BTFO, which comes with 4 factory magazines. I bought two Mec Gar magazines that say "Made in Italy" and I thought Mec Gar also made Sigs factory mags, so when I went to start the DROS I was surprised to see that the mags with the gun say "Made in USA"

can anyone explain this to me? are the Made in USA mags of different quality than the "official" Mec Gars?

SA227driver
11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
From my experience Mec-Gars are Sig mags without saying it on the side of the mag. I've been very happy with Sig Mec-Gar mags in the past. I wouldn't worry too much about "Made in USA" or "Made in Italy".

Congrats on the new P226!

trapshot68
11-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Either the Sig-marked or Mec-Gar mags are good to go.

The checkmate ones are utter crap.

Bobula
11-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Checkmate and pro mags have given.me issues.
Mec gar now makes sign factory mags. My brand new sig directly from sign le dealer came with mec gars

Eldraque
11-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Either the Sig-marked or Mec-Gar mags are good to go.

The checkmate ones are utter crap.

how would I know if it was a checkmate mag?

NYT
11-30-2012, 10:26 AM
mag manufacturing is so screwed up right now for sig. you really have to pay attention to when your sig was manufactured.

mecgar is pretty much the standard but you will find sig mags stating they were made in Germany, i believe this to be untrue and that they are actually stating with the stamp that the design originated in Germany much like how apple stamps California on their devices.

metal mags stating made in Italy are the best around imho. mags with the plastic lower are crap "Made in Germany" and marked sig sauer or something like that. I just can't figure why sig would manufacture brittle plastic lowers to their mags when steel is so much sturdier.

In either case the mags you want to stay away from are checkmate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sjm9877
11-30-2012, 12:20 PM
The original mags were made by Sig. They work great the springs are stronger than the MecGar mags. The MecGar mags work very well and have never given me an issue. The new checkmate mags gave me a few problems to start. I cleaned them and slightly lubed them inside and them wiped most of the lube off. Since then they have been 100%. The mecgar mags are the best value for the price.

dachan
11-30-2012, 12:34 PM
how would I know if it was a checkmate mag?

By the Made in USA marking.

Eldraque
11-30-2012, 1:07 PM
By the Made in USA marking.

so I'm getting 4 junk mags?

unusedusername
11-30-2012, 1:40 PM
so I'm getting 4 junk mags?

Maybe.

When they were first introduced the checkmate mags basically didn't work at all in any guns. Think of that era as "more expensive promags".

Now they have mostly fixed the problems, but since magazines don't have dates on them there is no way to know if you have problematic magazines by looking at them.

Sig has been very good about swapping out magazines with different ones when there is an issue.

My suggestion is to go shoot your new gun with the magazines it came with. If you have any issues (slide not locking back after last shot, or slide locking back when not on last shot, or failure to feed after good extraction is most of them) then call Sig and they will swap out your mags.

Eldraque
11-30-2012, 2:22 PM
Ok.

Eldraque
11-30-2012, 2:22 PM
Ok.

Eldraque
11-30-2012, 2:23 PM
Ok.

rolncode3
11-30-2012, 3:44 PM
All of our LE department purchased guns came with Mec-Gar phosphate mags. They have run wonderfully for 6 years for the newer guns and 8 years for the older ones.

Mr310
11-30-2012, 3:54 PM
The Checkmate magazines that came with my 1911 are ok. One is great and one is screwed up, so I guess it averages to ok.

9mmepiphany
11-30-2012, 5:28 PM
The original factory mags for the 226 were made in Germany...are marked "Made in Germany" and will have either a dovetail or zipper pattern on their spine.

The next factory mag manufacture was Mec-Gar...they are marked "Made in Italy" and will have smooth spines. Original Mec-Gar mags are slightly different in their springs and will hold two extra rounds .

The current 226 factory mags are made by Checkmate and marked "Made in USA"

Same
12-01-2012, 1:42 AM
Are all new ones made by checkmate? I just bought some P220 mags... and they're all made in Italy.

Paperchasin
12-01-2012, 8:42 AM
Are all new ones made by checkmate? I just bought some P220 mags... and they're all made in Italy.

It is completely hit-and-miss. If you get to inspect a gun prior to purchasing, you can easily identify the mags that will come with the gun. That is what I'd recommend doing. But Made in Italy mags are good to go.

9mmepiphany
12-01-2012, 11:59 AM
The introduced the Checkmate mags with the 226...the next logical model would be the 229

ontmark
12-01-2012, 2:30 PM
The original factory mags for the 226 were made in Germany...are marked "Made in Germany" and will have either a dovetail or zipper pattern on their spine.

The next factory mag manufacture was Mec-Gar...they are marked "Made in Italy" and will have smooth spines. Original Mec-Gar mags are slightly different in their springs and will hold two extra rounds .

The current 226 factory mags are made by Checkmate and marked "Made in USA"

This is the correct info

fmunk
12-01-2012, 2:46 PM
I bought my first handgun, A New Sig Sauer P226 BTFO, which comes with 4 factory magazines. I bought two Mec Gar magazines that say "Made in Italy" and I thought Mec Gar also made Sigs factory mags, so when I went to start the DROS I was surprised to see that the mags with the gun say "Made in USA"

can anyone explain this to me? are the Made in USA mags of different quality than the "official" Mec Gars?

I have both and both work just fine. Not worth paying extra for the Sig stamp, IMHO.