PDA

View Full Version : .327 Fed Mag Questions for users

TheDeej
11-30-2012, 9:49 AM
Hey all,

info from people who actually shoot this round is not very prevalent when searching. Mostly from people just quoting specs or with the "why bother?" attitude.
But I'm genuinely interested in the round and want to hear from those of you who actively shoot or have shot it.
I know cost/availability seems to be the biggest gripe but I would plan to tool-up to reload the cartridge if I used it to cut down costs.
I'm looking at it as a self-defense option, especially with my recoil sensitive wife in mind. She loves revolvers and likes my 686 but will only shoot light .38's from it.

Marty33
11-30-2012, 2:08 PM
I have a Taurus revolver in 327. It is a heavy recoil cartridge. I believe it is a valid self defense round, 1500 + fpm from a snub nose pistol is nothing to sneeze at.

Marty33
11-30-2012, 2:09 PM
PS, my wife hates to shoot it

dadjx2
11-30-2012, 9:24 PM
Hornady has a new 32 caliber load coming out that may be an option for your wife's recoil sensitivity regarding 327 mag. -- 32 H&R MAG 80GR FTX CRITICAL DEFENSEŽ

TheDeej
11-30-2012, 11:39 PM
The gun in particular I'm considering is the S&W 632. I wonder how the barrel port helps. I know my wife could have fun shooting the 32 longs but I would like a good defense round loaded in there that she could fire and not be afraid of. I'm gonna have to see if any of the local ranges have a .327 to rent.

capturedlive
12-01-2012, 7:49 AM
I've got a .327 Ruger New Blackhawk revolver and love the round. (Love the gun, too) Very smooth, pleasant recoil. Not hard to find ammo online or stores like 2nd Amendment in Lancaster. Just not a Walmart/Big 5 kind of round. It sounds like recoil issue is not so much the round as it is the gun 'cause my 6" handles it like butter. But then again, 6" isn't really a home self-defense gun.

Socalman
12-01-2012, 12:34 PM
I have shot the .327 and found it highly fun to shoot. It was from a Ruger SP101, do not recall length. While it does have recoil it is NOT in the same league as the .357 Ruger GP100.

There is a good chance my next wheel gun will be SP 101 in .327.

bnielsen
12-01-2012, 4:21 PM
I have A USFA Sparrowhawk. Single action 71/2" barrel. The round is pleasure to shoot though it has a loud report. I really enjoy this pistol and caliber.

Bobthegod
01-06-2013, 12:13 PM
I have the Ruger GP100 .327 4" holds seven rounds, shoots straight and has minimal recoil. My wife hates to shoot...well she hates recoil really. So I load this up with 32 shorts or longs or some32 H&R Magnums and she's all smiles. However the .327 loads are by far the most fun to shoot.......just short of a .357 (which I also have in GP100 4' and 6") I did a spring replacement and WOW how nice and lite the trigger is now, made a great gun.....super great. I have a lot of fun with this gun and so do the others that shoot it.

Ammo for it is easy to find....even here in California. Or you can go to the internet. I'm lucky to have a reloading company near by and can get custom reloads anytime I need them reducing costs even more so.

Bobthegod
I have the Ruger GP100 .327 4" holds seven rounds, shoots straight and has minimal recoil. My wife hates to shoot...well she hates recoil really. So I load this up with 32 shorts or longs or some32 H&R Magnums and she's all smiles. However the .327 loads are by far the most fun to shoot.......just short of a .357 (which I also have in GP100 4' and 6") I did a spring replacement and WOW how nice and lite the trigger is now, made a great gun.....super great. I have a lot of fun with this gun and so do the others that shoot it.

Ammo for it is easy to find....even here in California. Or you can go to the internet. I'm lucky to have a reloading company near by and can get custom reloads anytime I need them reducing costs even more so.

Bobthegod

vince42
01-06-2013, 5:47 PM
My wife has a 3 inch ruger sp101 .327..practices with S&W .32 long..loves it. I shoot it with 100 grain .327 FMJ....takes big chunks out of hardwood I have shot...powerful round that my wife isnt wild about shooting.
It stays loaded for HD with 85 grain hollowpoints, a round that we both like, just expensive but 1 box will last forever (knock on wood).. Hope this helps

liketoshoot
01-06-2013, 7:10 PM
My daughter "stole" mine, (Ruger SP) so I bought another, does that tell you we like the round/gun,
think of it like the 357/38 shoot ability in changing cartridge from 327 mag to 32 long to H&R.

Bobthegod
01-07-2013, 5:50 AM
I forgot to mention......once you shoot a few rounds out of my 500 Magnum the .327 is a *****cat no matter what load you use.

TakeFive
01-07-2013, 8:39 AM
The .327 Federal Magnum out of the Blackhawk is way different than out of the SP101. The smaller gun kicks more and the report is very sharp because of the shorter barrel. That being said, there are a lot of .32 H&R Magnum loads suitable for self defense in the SP101 and the women I know who have handled the revolver like the feel of it and even the stock double action trigger pull is manageable for them. Added to that, you can work up from .32 S&W "mouse rounds" which are like .22 Long Rifle in report and recoil. Ruger doesn't even list the .327 SP101 on their site, so I guess getting one with 4 inch barrel is doubtful. Maybe Taurus?