PDA

View Full Version : Letter from my representative

Rob P.
08-02-2007, 3:58 PM
Recently there was a thread in one of the forums about HR 1022. HR 1022 is an attempt to reinstate the Federal AWB with even more listed weapons than the prior ban.

I wrote my District Representative and he sent me a letter in return. I don't necessarily like my representative and I voted against him in the last election but at least he is on my side on this issue.

Dear Mr. P.

Thank you for contacting me to express your oppositon to H.R., 1022, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act. I appreciate the opportunity to correspond with you.

You may be aware that a ten-year ban on semiautomatic assault weapons expired on September 13, 2004. H.R. 1022, introduced by Representative Carolyn McCarthy on February 13, 2007 would reinstate the ban for ten years.

As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, I share your views. Through my tenure in Congress, I have supported the rights of law-abiding citizens to own guns. Instead of imposing gun control, I believe that Congress should focus on passing tough laws to deal with criminals and violent crime.

H.R. 1022 was referred to the House Judiciary Committee, of which I am a senior member. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should the committee or the full House of Representatives consider this or similar legislation.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to do so regarding any federal matter.

Sincerely,
Elton Gallegly
Member of Congress