PDA

View Full Version : City Attorney Tells San Bernardino Residents To ‘Lock Their Doors,’ ‘Load Their Guns’

CitaDeL
11-30-2012, 7:17 AM
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/11/30/city-attorney-tells-san-bernardino-residents-to-lock-their-doors-load-their-guns-because-of-police-downsizing/

The city attorney of San Bernardino is under scrutiny for telling residents to “lock their doors and load their guns” during a city council meeting.

The official explained that because the city is bankrupt and slashing public safety budgets people will need to start protecting themselves.

City Attorney Jim Penman said he doesn’t regret what he said

Well... a public official who encourages self determination and defense. Shocking in how refreshing that is. Unfortunate that this only comes about when they are using the reduction of police as a tool to justify higher taxation.

jaymz
11-30-2012, 7:53 AM
Penman is a tool. I agree 100% and I have no doubt that he made that comment for some sort of future tax increase.

DEVOREGUNNER
11-30-2012, 8:09 AM
Political move, try getting a CCW from the SBPD, no chance, thank God for the SBSO.

SlobRay
11-30-2012, 8:10 AM
Unfortunate that this only comes about when they are using the reduction of police as a tool to justify higher taxation.

Ain't that the truth. This guy is just talking out of his fourth point of contact and even he doesn't really believe what he saying. He only said this as a scare tactic. Then he goes on to say....

“I’m not advocating that people go out, who don’t have any training, and buy firearms. I certainly strongly caution anyone who has children at home not to have a loaded gun in the house,” Penman said.

If he really believed what he said the above should have read "if your going to go out and buy firearms, get some traiining and learn how to use them properly. I certainly strongly caution anyone who has children at home to teach your children proper firearm handling practices and that firearms are not toys to be played with."

Ray

Westerner
11-30-2012, 9:45 AM
He may be a tool,but I think he speaks from his heart on this one. The debt crisis is serious. We're at a point of no return IMO.

jaymz
11-30-2012, 9:56 AM
The city's debt crisis is serious and there's no doubt in my mind that Penman is partly responsible. He's going into CYA mode.

hornswaggled
11-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Don't SB residents already do that? That is the biggest sh*th0le in the IE.

donny douchebag
11-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Typical fear mongering from a public official.

Vetteodyssey
11-30-2012, 11:03 AM
If he really believed what he said the above should have read "if your going to go out and buy firearms, get some traiining and learn how to use them properly. I certainly strongly caution anyone who has children at home to teach your children proper firearm handling practices and that firearms are not toys to be played with."

Ray

This +1

I'm sure they will start issuing LTC's now. :rofl:

A-J
11-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Why is the media so shocked and shaken that someone spoke what so many have known for a loooong time? Ignoring the SCOTUS decision that LEOs have no duty to protect any specific individual, the numbers are also not in favor of it. Thee simply aren't enough cops to be everywhere all the time, which is the only way to prevent crime in any measurable fashion. Usually, the only people around at the point of impact are the BG and the victim. Sometimes there are bystanders, but nowadays they pull out their phones to make a YouTube video in stead of calling 911 or helping.

dfletcher
11-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Last year Josephine County in southern OR pretty much laid off their sheriff department and the advice people were give - by the police, politicians and via the local talk shows was "get a gun and learn how to use it". There was not a peep of disagreement.

FERGUSON
11-30-2012, 12:26 PM
they wouldnt have to tell me to load mine....im way ahead of em haha

newbee1111
11-30-2012, 12:44 PM
So would he statement be good enough for a "good cause"?

Southwest Chuck
11-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Looks like the comments section is disabled . :confused:

Volksgrenadier
11-30-2012, 1:01 PM
I wonder the reaction as other major cities in California spiral into bankruptcy...what shall be the response as Los Angeles or San Francisco near the brink?

OlderThanDirt
11-30-2012, 1:33 PM
I wonder the reaction as other major cities in California spiral into bankruptcy...what shall be the response as Los Angeles or San Francisco near the brink?

A declared state of emergency and the National Guard called in to "protect" you.

The California Emergency Services Act (CESA) provides guidelines for the declaration of emergencies by local officials and recognizes the strong role of local government in providing services during emergencies. A declaration of emergency permits a local governing body to promulgate orders and regulations necessary for the protection of life and property, such as imposing a curfew. Furthermore, declaring a state of emergency ensures that the local government and its officials and employees are immune from liability when exercising their official duties during an emergency.

NoJoke
11-30-2012, 1:47 PM

Wouldn't NOW be a very opportune time to apply and use their words against them?

CEDaytonaRydr
11-30-2012, 2:10 PM
This is why I'm a Libertarian... :rolleyes:

If you're expecting your government to protect your family, you might be setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

Kurus214
11-30-2012, 3:02 PM
Typically with cities it's the pension costs, I doubt that they cannot male current payroll. It's servicing debt like bonds, etc that pushes the BK.

donw
11-30-2012, 4:17 PM
he would probably deny having said it later down the road from now when some poor soul did that thinking it was "Legal advice" from the city attorney and got into a bind for it...

CitaDeL
11-30-2012, 6:06 PM

I kind of like that thinking:

I was instructed by the city attorney to obtain a gun and load it for self protection. Here is my citation of good cause. (Quote verbatim here)

I realize this doesnt really improve the chance of being issued, but I think the exersize would be entertaining just to see the Chief of Police's reaction.

wildhawker
11-30-2012, 7:03 PM
Fully agree on the amusement factor.