PDA

View Full Version : Mateba 6 Unica walnut grip duplicate

chazbot
11-29-2012, 10:39 PM
I have a 6 Unica in .44 and while I do have the original custom grips, I would prefer to have duplicates made. Anyone have any recommendations on who to contact? I've tried a few custom grip makers, but they just do the normal Ruger/Colt/Smith line up with some Taurus or Rossi thrown in.

Some guy on gunbroker is hoarding the spare grips, refusing to sell them and instead is offering aluminum replacements with wood panel inserts for $400 - which is far far overpriced.

prop carver
11-30-2012, 3:47 AM
Have you considered making a set.

I was able to find a copy of a patent that appears to have enough basic info to get started.

http://matebafan.com/unica/patent.pdf

I'm no expert by any means. Basically a rookie woodworker and I use mostly hand saws, files and sanding blocks to get a set cut and finished.

I've made a few grip sets for my 1911 and a Walnut set for my Blackhawk which, oddly enough, looks similar to the photos I've seen of a Unica. It isn't that difficult. I'd give it a go before I shelled out 400 bucks for something I didn't want.

Regards,

chazbot
11-30-2012, 9:50 AM
i'm not so good with wood working - just the basics from shop back in high school. i'm more of a metal working guy. thanks, i may as well give it a try. any idea on wood? i figure just walnut like the original would work alright.

nsbeach
11-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Hmmm-might be a job for a 3D Printer-:)

chazbot
11-30-2012, 10:44 AM
i thought 3d printers used some kind of polymer compound - not wood. or at least not wood sturdy enough for a grip.

It's a one piece grip, and the 6 Unica has a habit of cracking them with repeatedly full power use. I do not have the .44 special spring (although I can shoot those in DA) so to get the full benefit i would need a replacement grip that i don't care about breaking so i can save the factory ones.

i tried looking into a wood duplicator or copyist, but didn't find anything. cabinet makers and furniture makers also didn't have the expertise, and the gun grip makers never even heard of the revolver.

i guess i'm just looking for options and recommendations.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8469/8102176753_3a1cd52cba_b_d.jpg

kurac
11-30-2012, 12:19 PM
its going to be tough to find someone to make a set of grips for a gun which has little aftermarket demand.

unusedusername
11-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Try getting a hold of Ironwood designs (http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDHome.html). They are in San Jose.They could probably duplicate the factory wood grips you have if you don't mind loaning them out for a while.

They are not cheap but but they do custom wood projects for firearms. Expect custom work pricing $$$

prop carver
11-30-2012, 2:45 PM
i'm not so good with wood working - just the basics from shop back in high school. i'm more of a metal working guy. thanks, i may as well give it a try. any idea on wood? i figure just walnut like the original would work alright.

Either Walnut or Cherry would work well. Basic high school woodworking skills should be all you'll need to get a set done.

For your first set make it in three sections. A center and two outer panels. If the Walnut pieces are cut from the same board The grip will look like a one piece unit when the final sanding is done.

Being familiar with metal working will be an asset.

Regards,

chazbot
11-30-2012, 6:10 PM
Are there any handy guides for making your own grips anywhere?

I agree with The Gleam - if he was asking $100 or so, I'd just buy those.

Rikimaru.vr
01-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Hey i was just wondering how did ya come by a mateba? i have been very interested in getting one, but they are more rare than a blue moon

chazbot
01-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Hey i was just wondering how did ya come by a mateba? i have been very interested in getting one, but they are more rare than a blue moon

I imported it from out of state from a seller who had gotten it from an estate sale.