PDA

View Full Version : school me on 1911 80%ers

TheExiled
11-29-2012, 9:50 PM
Enlighten me?
Im new to this idea, how do I get one, are there better brands than others, where can I get the rest of the parts?
Interested in building a .40/10mm and if this is anything like building an AR, this would be the better route for me

desertjosh
11-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Tagged op cause Im in the same boat, except i want it in .45 or 9mm.

TheExiled
11-30-2012, 7:32 AM
A friend of mine said he picked up a stripped frame and is building a 9mm, im open to this as well. Anyone have info on this as well/either? I can't get ahold of him atm

Freq18Hz
11-30-2012, 8:22 AM
It's not like building an AR. Reputable companies dont sell 80% built 1911's. 1911 accuracy comes from two things: well made parts, and proper fitting. This requires know how.

By the time all is said and done, you will have spent more than you would have buying a gun from a respected gunsmith.

If DIY is your goal, there are other 1911 specific forums that will have more info.

In general 1911's are not good to go cheap on. The general consensus is that spending around $1500 on new gun like a Dan Wesson, or similar Springfield will get you a very nice gun. Above that price point, and you hit a law of diminishing returns on your money. Below it, and you are skimping on features and/or quality.

You will find some that will tell you that Kimbers or Sigs are great and report success with them, for less than $1500. Others (myself included) will argue that point. One thing pretty much everyone agrees on however, is that a $1500 Dan Wesson, or a Springfield TRP is a very nice gun, that can stand in the same company as guns costing twice the price (Wilson, Brown, Baer, etc.)

So what's the difference between a $500 1911 and a $5000 1911?

-quality of materials
-quality of workmanship
-reliability
-performance
-comfort
-customer service (Wilson and Springfield are the best, period.)

The more you spend, the more comfortable, more accurate, more reliable, and more beautiful your 1911 will be.

Hope this helps,

-Freq

TheExiled
11-30-2012, 10:39 AM
So buying a frame matched to a slide (such as a Caspian or Les Baer from Brownell's ) doesn't mean that it would fit like I would want it to?

Im leaning more toward a frame kit than machining an 80%, but if it would cost the same to just buy a new finished gun and a 10mm conversion..

The real reason I'm interested in this isn't to be cheap (although a plus), but it is because I've never been a 1911 fan due to not seeing one I really like off the shelves, and being able to build my own would solve that.

keenkeen
11-30-2012, 10:45 AM
So buying a frame matched to a slide (such as a Caspian or Les Baer from Brownell's ) doesn't mean that it would fit like I would want it to?

Im leaning more toward a frame kit than machining an 80%, but if it would cost the same to just buy a new finished gun and a 10mm conversion..

The real reason I'm interested in this isn't to be cheap (although a plus), but it is because I've never been a 1911 fan due to not seeing one I really like off the shelves, and being able to build my own would solve that.

IIRC to be 80% a 1911 frame cannot have the rails cut in the frame. So you really could not get a matched and fit 89% frame and slide as described above.

Now, if you don't care about the 80% rule, yes many companies offer matched bare frames and slides..but they are not on roster and not eligible for SSE until they are built so...hmmm.

I could be mistaken on the above, if so someone will correct me.

Tjfearl
11-30-2012, 10:59 AM

It will cost you more to build an 80% because you will have to buy tools or find someone that has the tools for you to use, then buy quality parts and finish with cerakote or something. You would be better off trying to get a Fusion 10mm SSE'd with a warranty and whatnot.

Freq18Hz
11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
I guess I somewhat misunderstood the point of this thread. Apologies.

Hopefully the info above wasn't a complete waste of your time. :)

-Freq

TheExiled
11-30-2012, 4:17 PM
Not a waste at at Freq, I appreciate the info.

Cyc Wid It
11-30-2012, 5:10 PM
How mechanically inclined are you? Unless you already have a lot of tools / time to spend, it's probably not worth it. Your first project will probably encounter some bumps along the way as well.

MountainShooter
11-30-2012, 5:18 PM
Link below is to a blog that a guy built a 1911 KTO from an 80%er just like the ones purchased in the group buy a while back.

http://mcpeepantz1911.blogspot.com/

SMR510
11-30-2012, 9:04 PM
I would love to buy a 80% frame but at this point there are not many (only 1 that I know of) people offering them. I feel like they are overpriced for what they are but we are the only people who really need them. In other states you just buy a finished frame that would need some fitting and you are good to go.

Sucks! Hopefully there will be some progress soon on the roster (getting it removed) and we can buy frames like everyone else. I would enjoy building my own 1911, I like working on projects like that but right now it is not cost effective for me.