View Full Version : Questions on ITAR and sending gun parts to/from the country

11-29-2012, 8:15 PM
Well, here's the deal. A friend of mine, who's in Russia, has Russian (duh) wooden AK stock, pistol grip, and handguards he doesn't need, as well as a couple of mag bodies. He can send them to me, if it's legal to do so.

He also wants a Saiga drum body (he's got the rest), which isn't made in Russia and is next to impossible to find there. I don't mind sending it to him, if it's legal to do so.

So, is any of these scenarios viable? Having read up on ITAR a bit, it looks like it kicks in when you're doing this for commercial purposes, and the value of the goods is over $100.

All items above are legal to possess without any license in our respective countries.

So, what says the Calguns brain trust?

11-30-2012, 9:04 AM

11-30-2012, 9:18 AM
I had to take an import/export training class at work (though I do exactly ZERO importing and exporting). While my company does not deal with firearms, ITAR did come up in the training. It was my take from the class that certain items, regardless of cost or commercial intent require import/export licenses. Certain countries fall into special categories that are scrutinized more when importing/exporting, Russia being one of those countries.

I am certainly no expert on the rules and regs, but in my humble opinion, I would avoid trying to navigate it by yourself. Importing/exporting firearms related items without the proper licenses is an easy way to get yourself into a whole heap of (VERY EXPENSIVE) trouble.