PDA

View Full Version : Another sight picture question...w/pictures

bsumoba
11-29-2012, 7:16 PM
How do you hold your sights with a 3 dot sight system? My guess is to line up the top line of the sights so the top of the front sight and bottom sight are horizontally lined up as seen in the bottom image.

Top Image: Dots lined up such that the centerline of the dots are horizontally linear. Notice the topline of the sights are not lined up.

Bottom Image: Topline of sights are lined up horizontally, making the centerline of the dot appear to be higher than the centerline of the two outside dots.

THIS IS A ROUGH PICTURE, NOT TO SCALE.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/Bryan_Sumoba/sightpicture-1.jpg

JeremyS
11-29-2012, 7:21 PM
I do the same. That is, basically assume that the sight tops are correct and the dots may be off. That said, I've had guns that are correct to POI one way and some the other way, and guns where the tops and dots all lined up perfectly. I'd have to say, it depends on the gun and where it hits.

Also, certainly depends on the type of shooting. If I'm shooting quickly, whether on the clock or at the range just plinking, I'm looking at the front dot and making sure it's in the rear notch and that's as precise as it gets.

bsumoba
11-29-2012, 7:27 PM
I noticed with my sight picture looking like the top image, i am impacting low. With the bottom image, I am about where I should be on my point of aim.

tal3nt
11-29-2012, 7:36 PM
Basically, just get plain black sights.

Freq18Hz
11-29-2012, 7:43 PM
OP: depends on the gun, how it's set up, ammo, and what distance the target is at.

NewbieDave
11-29-2012, 7:46 PM
I think you are over thinking it... at 10 yards, just make sure all the dots are next to each other and cutting your target in half. If your setup is right, in most handgun... that should get you POA=POI.

Dot sights are for combat and not meant for stacking a mag into a single hole... get plain black target sights if you really want to get accurate.

tal3nt
11-29-2012, 7:49 PM
I think you are over thinking it... at 10 yards, just make sure all the dots are next to each other and cutting your target in half. If your setup is right, in most handgun... that should get you POA=POI.

Dot sights are for combat and not meant for stacking a mag into a single hole... get plain black target sights if you really want to get accurate.

Not always true because some handguns the front and rear dots are different sizes which I absolutely hate. When the sights are properly lined up the dots form a triangle lol.

Line up the frame of the sights (not the dots)