PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Walther addict

drifter2be
11-29-2012, 7:07 PM
I bought a PPK/S a last week, partly because I have always wanted to have the gun Bond used in one of the Bond movies, and partly because I am always in the market for another concealable pistol. Fell in love with shooting it, need to adjust the rear sight, since it is shooting about 3" to the right, although I am shooting 2" groups at 25 feet with it, and I don't get why so many people cry about it being painful to shoot, since it didn't hurt my hand as much in 100 rounds as my LCR does in 25 rounds.

I put some rounds through another guys P22 and decided I must have one, again, so today I went out and purchased one of the newer Q-style P22 pistols and ordered a Gemtech suppressor adapter, so that when I get around to doing my NFA trust I can have a suppressed pistol.

Been counting my pennies in the "gun fund" as I have sold a few things recently, and am considering picking up a PK380 and possibly a PPQ at the SAR show if I can find a good deal tomorrow. The only thing I am having trouble grappling with is the fact that I don't like having "overlapping" handguns, and I already have a G19 gen3 which fills the same role a PPQ would fill. Am I crazy to consider selling the G19 and replacing it with a PPQ? I may just end up gifting my Glock to my GF or another family member rather than selling it, but I don't see a purpose in having both. Maybe I can rent one at the range tomorrow morning before I go to the show to make my decision.

Has anyone here shot a PPQ and a Glock 19? What did you like or dislike about the PPQ in comparison to the Glock?

ChrisKalan
11-29-2012, 10:56 PM
If it makes you feel better, the PPQ is a 4.25 inch barrel and the G19 is a 4 inch barrel. So it's more of an overlap if you owned a G17.
:)

jrara
11-29-2012, 11:22 PM
PPQ has a way better trigger than any G19 triggers I have tried with the exception of the Travis Haley trigger.

The PPQ feels way more comfortable than any g19 I have tried including the Gen 4.

Aspec5vz
11-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the club haha! There doesn't seem to be too many Walther fans around here.

I love my PPQ though, it's become my favorite handgun of all the ones I own. I can't compare it with a G19 but compared to my Gen 4 G22; the PPQs trigger is a lot smoother and the PPQ feels better in the hand. A lot of people complain about the mag release on the trigger guard but I actually prefer it. Buy the PPQ, you won't regret it.

I just put a PPK in jail the other day and I can't wait to shoot it! I've been looking for one forever and just happen to come across one in a LGS. I think I may have overpaid a little bit but until I learn more about it I can't be sure. Even if I did, I don't really mind. It's a gun I've wanted for a long time and what Walther collection is complete without a PPK?

jyo
11-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Walthers like HKs, are addicting...

Ya can't get just one!

battleship
11-29-2012, 11:58 PM
I just drossed a P99 AS in 9mm, i currently own a P5 full size and would eventually like a PPK older version. I like that fact that the P99 comes with a decocker, and on the backside of the slide. You don't get that on a Glock.

Aspec5vz
11-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Oooo I'm envious of your P5! I'd really like to find one of those but they're harder to find than PPKs! The PPK I just jailed was made in 1956 judging by the serial number...I can't wait to pick it up!

Williexcited
11-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Congrats on finding a style / brand that you enjoy. If you like the ppq more than the glock you should have no problem selling it here to someone who will enjoy it. I sold my xd 45 for a cz 97 and i haven't for a second regretted the decision. The xd is an awesome gun but the cz 97 just fits me better.

redcliff
11-30-2012, 3:21 AM
The PPK/S was a pistol design mandated by the GCA of 68 if I recall. In order to get enough importation "points" they had to use the PP's longer grip frame (instead of the shorter ppk grip) along with the shorter PPK slide. James Bond, not having to worry about such petty matters, carried a PPK at times.

The only Walther I currently have is a P5c after giving my P22 to my son-in-law and selling my PPK/S for varous reasons long ago. I wouldnt mind finding a PPK in .22lr someday just for plinking.

uhlan1
11-30-2012, 5:52 AM
I'm getting my PPQ 9mm out of jail today! Pretty excited, have heard nothing but great things.
Packing up so I can hit the range right after work.
Also doing the DROS today on a P22 5" from a fellow Calgunner.. Have a WW2 era Wehrmacht issue P-38 (safe queen), so this will give me 3 Walthers in my collection.

uhlan1
11-30-2012, 5:54 AM
The PPK/S was a pistol design mandated by the GCA of 68 if I recall. In order to get enough importation "points" they had to use the PP's longer grip frame (instead of the shorter ppk grip) along with the shorter PPK slide. James Bond, not having to worry about such petty matters, carried a PPK at times.

The only Walther I currently have is a P5c after giving my P22 to my son-in-law and selling my PPK/S for varous reasons long ago. I wouldnt mind finding a PPK in .22lr someday just for plinking.

Geez, the amount of knowledge some of you guys carry around in your noggins is simply impressive.
I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night.

Fiiyablade
11-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Pics when u pick it up!!

DrMoebius
11-30-2012, 11:20 AM
I've had the PPQ .40 since last April. I've got close to 5,000 rounds through it and can say, without reservation, it is one of the finest pistols I have ever shot - not just polymers. Obviously, the trigger is fantastic. But, it's the ergonomics which take it over the top for me. Some people don't like the mag release, but I love it - there was zero readjustment period even though I was a 1911 guy.
It's recoil characteristics are unique in that it has a very quick, short, muzzle flip. But, oddly, once adjusted to it, I can actually fire and return to target much more quickly than other pistols with a more traditional recoil pattern. Accuracy is superb.

On top of that, there is absolutely nothing you need to upgrade, modify, or replace on the gun to make it a perfect shooter. Some people prefer different sights, but that's a personal preference, not a mandatory function. I find the stock pair fast for acquisition and accurate out to 50 yards. Maybe a slightly smaller notch in the rear - something similar to those on HK's USP - would better. If I need a nighttime setup, I'd likely go with a light/laser combo on the rail instead of night sights.

sjm9877
11-30-2012, 11:25 AM
I've had 2 P99's they are my favorite polymer pistol by far. I can't wait to get my hands on the PPQ.

Czsp-01-9mm
11-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Walther makes the m&p 22 and Smith and wesson imports them, been hearing good things about it so that's another gun you can add

The War Wagon
11-30-2012, 12:42 PM
I love the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod; does that make ME, "a WALTHER addict?" :p

drifter2be
11-30-2012, 7:50 PM
Here's the new P22, took it to the range today, at 500 rounds of various 22lr ammunitions, cheap bulk to CCI mini-mags. Fed and fired everything, although winchester 555 doesn't cycle the slide back enough to pickup the next round half the time.

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac130/88_7mge/DC1C7698-B0CF-42AC-87D3-3DC069C5DC99-8888-0000069B98AA2C51.jpg

And my PPK/S, which I now have 200 rounds through without a single problem, other than the loaded chamber pin getting stuck back during my last mag...will probably strip the slide and remove it this weekend, since I think it's a stupid feature anyway, guns are to be treated as always loaded...and the chamber is if I am carrying it...

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac130/88_7mge/66826F27-FDAA-4FEC-B6F9-0DC24FDFFD5E-1761-0000013C0934629C.jpg

Meeting with a guy tomorrow morning to buy a lightly Walther PPS in 9mm.

Was talking with the GF, and she likes my G19 too much to let me sell it, and I have too much invested with the upgraded trigger and sights to be happy with what someone would pay for it, so she may be getting that and I will be on the prowl to replace it with either a PPQ or a P99AS after getting to the range and shooting both, leaning more toward the PPQ but after watching a demonstration video of the anti-stress trigger it looks really tempting.

aklon
12-01-2012, 9:59 AM
Welcome to the club haha! There doesn't seem to be too many Walther fans around here.

Well, gee: just 'cause some of us rave on about the 1911 doesn't mean we don't own or like Walthers. Besides four 1911s, I also have a classic P38 (1943 Spreewerk) matched to a P88 Compact.

I like that all steel P38, no doubt about it, but I have to say that as far as 9mm goes the P88 Compact is perfect for that caliber.

drifter2be
12-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Just picked up my PPS, turned out the only rounds this gun has through it are the factory test fire rounds. It is in immaculate condition, I almost feel bad about the fact that it is going to get beat up and the finish worn from being used as a carry gun.

Planning on heading to the range with it in the next few days to start in on my reliability check, 150 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of my carry ammo to deem it, in my eyes, reliable enough to carry...if it makes it through those without a problem.

Talking with the previous owner, who happens to be a huge fan of German guns, owns nothing but Walther, HK & Sig pistols, he pretty much sold me on buying a PPQ. Found a LGS that has them in stock for $499.99 + tax, so I would be looking at about $545 otd.

Damn Walthers are going to bankrupt me...

drifter2be
12-01-2012, 2:24 PM
Couldn't help myself. Was in a local gun shop and they had a used blued PPK in excellent condition, .380auto, 2 mags, $436.20 after tax...so I splurged, since this was the gun I was truly after when I bought my PPK/S

So I will be selling my PPK/S, or trying to trade it for or toward a PK380 or PPQ

New Walthers:

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac130/88_7mge/A41F5326-C408-4FB2-B578-C7925B9E9C2E-9706-0000077E79390451.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac130/88_7mge/360411B4-79C1-412E-ABE9-D6BDD022F235-9706-0000077E73A3B933.jpg

As I said in my last post...damn walthers are going to bankrupt me. But, they are just so damned worth it...

SimpleCountryActuary
12-01-2012, 5:44 PM
I took a recently purchased pre-war Walther PP 22lr to the range today for the first time. It was very easy to shoot. Sometimes a round wouldn't fire in single action mode but would then fire when the trigger was pulled again in double action. It could be the ammo, although usually you have to turn the 22lr round to avoid the stupid air bubble that usually causes the misfire. The trigger pull for double action was stiff but even. It was nice and easy to clean, although I'm somewhat disappointed that everything but the barrel was kind of dirty. The lack of a safety was odd, but maybe it's safe to carry loaded with the trigger down (not that I will ever get the chance to do that in Kalifornia!)

I doubt I will ever shoot my relatively acquired sig mosquito ever again unless I feel an urge to take two 22lr pistols to the range. That thing jams once it becomes a little bit dirty and I don't like the trigger. The Walther FEELS like a good pistol.

Best!

GM_77
12-01-2012, 5:55 PM
I would think the PPS and the G19 would be better comparisons. I shot the PPS and own a G19. The trigger is so sweet on the PPS that I will eventually own both the PPQ and PPS and mayhaps shoot that over my glocks. However I'm waiting on aftermarket sights to become more available for the PPS before I buy it.

But yes they are pretty awesome.

awl168
12-01-2012, 9:53 PM
Couldn't help myself. Was in a local gun shop and they had a used blued PPK in excellent condition, .380auto, 2 mags, $436.20 after tax...so I splurged, since this was the gun I was truly after when I bought my PPK/S

So I will be selling my PPK/S, or trying to trade it for or toward a PK380 or PPQ

New Walthers:

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac130/88_7mge/A41F5326-C408-4FB2-B578-C7925B9E9C2E-9706-0000077E79390451.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac130/88_7mge/360411B4-79C1-412E-ABE9-D6BDD022F235-9706-0000077E73A3B933.jpg

As I said in my last post...damn walthers are going to bankrupt me. But, they are just so damned worth it...

Both Walthers look great! Congrats.

I'm looking for a 9mm PPS myself.

drifter2be
12-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Sold my PPK/S, just couldn't justify having both it and my PPK right now. May buy one again down the road, but selling that freed up the needed funds for a full size 9mm. Spoke with a local dealer on the phone and he can get a PPQ OTD for $535 and a P99AS OTD for $565, if one of his suppliers has any. Should be hearing from him tomorrow on the availability and going in to put a deposit on one.

Aspec5vz
12-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Where are you located that you can get a PPQ for $535 OTD? I had to pay $650 plus tax and dros for mine as an SSE. If you can get it for $535 do it!

drifter2be
12-03-2012, 12:27 AM
I live in a free state...

Out here in AZ we don't deal with things like SSE or having to pay for DROS or any other additional fees. You pay for the gun and the sales tax.

uhlan1
12-03-2012, 6:12 AM
Yea, but we have gun laws that keep us safe from crime in the Golden State. And the "Roster", so our guns are safer than yours.
Couple of guys at the range I go to in Watsonville, Markley's, were robbed when putting their gun in a locked case in the trunk of their car yesterday. one of the victims ran, was chased down the street and shot.

Aspec5vz
12-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Yea I figured you lived in the free world.

drifter2be
12-03-2012, 5:13 PM
Ended up grabbing a low-round count well taken care of BB date code PPQ from a local today for $500. He only sold his because he has a friend selling him one of the "First Edition" PPQs. Stripped the gun when I got home, definitely in excellent condition, although it was definitely over-oiled. Spent about 30 minutes cleaning all the oil off of it and re-oiling it as per the manual's recommendations.

Planning on getting it to the range in the morning to put a few boxes of ammo through it. So far very happy with it, the trigger feels excellent firing it with a snap-cap. I like the overall feel, short take-up and the light yet crisp break and ultra-short reset. Definitely blows my G19's trigger out of the water. That will probably be getting put up for sale in the next few days, after I have put 500+ rounds through the PPQ, and it earns it's place on my nightstand.

drifter2be
12-04-2012, 2:43 PM
Shot my new toys today...

I am absolutely DONE with non-walther striker fired pistols. End of story.

Shooting my G19 and PPQ back to back was like going from a busted up Honda Civic to a brand new Cadillac. The trigger was so smooth and light, with such a crisp break and distinct reset that I was sending rounds down range faster yet more accurately with the Walther than I was with the Glock.

The PPS was just as amazing to shoot. I have tried SO MANY other single-stack 9mm pistols, KelTec PF9, Ruger LC9, Kahr CM9 and CW9, Taurus 709 and they all, for the lack of a more descriptive term, majorly suck compared to the PPS. I did get to shoot a M&P shield finally, after striking up a conversation with the guy next to me, let him shoot my PPS, and I will say this, if I had to pick another gun for CC other than the PPS it would probably be the shield, but even then, the PPS trigger just felt better IMHO.

I put another 200 rounds through my P22Q and still not a single problem, aside from one dud round that wouldn't fire in my 10/22 either.

Looking forward to my next range trip. G19 is up on the chopping block, although I will probably use the money from selling it to buy or try to trade it for a P99 with either the anti-stress or quick-action trigger.

Waiting to hear back from a potential seller on picking up a PK380 to add to the collection.

Artema
12-04-2012, 6:33 PM
Walther makes some awesome handguns. My P99cAS is amazing. The best trigger I've tried. I initially was looking at the PPS, but it isn't on the DOJ roster.

awl168
12-04-2012, 7:55 PM
So jealous of all the Walther goodies you are acquiring!

BradleyAbrams
12-04-2012, 8:19 PM
My PPK/s ( .380 ). First handgun I purchased new. That was back in 1984. Still ranked in my Top 3 Handguns I own.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/Cars/PPKs022.jpg

-

drifter2be
12-04-2012, 10:30 PM
That's a beautiful PPK/S, looks very nice with the white grips. Hopefully someday I can get my hands on an actual German made PP, PPK or PPK/S, from what I have been told the quality is night and day with the stuff S&W has been producing.

Gottmituns
12-05-2012, 12:21 PM
There is nothing in this world like a PPK or PPK/S.
California does not allow it. So all we can get are C&R PPK clones. P-64 is my PPK.
http://elitecustomguns.com/gallery/albums/ECPW/Brush_chrome_P_64.jpg

durandal
12-05-2012, 12:40 PM
There is nothing in this world like a PPK or PPK/S.
California does not allow it. So all we can get are C&R PPK clones. P-64 is my PPK.
http://elitecustomguns.com/gallery/albums/ECPW/Brush_chrome_P_64.jpg

Well, if you are into german guns.. Sure.

I always thought that the Makarov, cz82, polish radom p64, sig p232, sauer 38h were all very similar... Then theres the ppk knockoff bersa thunder right?

Gottmituns
12-05-2012, 12:59 PM

I always thought that the Makarov, cz82, polish radom p64, sig p232, sauer 38h were all very similar... Then theres the ppk knockoff bersa thunder right?

The CZ82 looks and feels more like a Beretta (frame, grips), with a 1911 safety.

The P232, is just too darn big. (like a PP)

The Thunder does not look like a PPK/S at all, although it functions like one.

I have not been able to find the SMC-918 or SMC-380, (Both C&R) They look identical to the PPK.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/11/25/680069_01_feg_smc_918_9mm_makarov_excell_640.jpg

The design of the PPK's is simplicity itself.
It's so simple, they work magnificently.

Raider888
12-05-2012, 1:07 PM
I could see a Walther PPQ in my hand in 2013.

Artema
12-05-2012, 3:09 PM
How do you get PPQ and PPS if it isn't on the list? And why isn't the PPK either?

Aspec5vz
12-05-2012, 4:37 PM
Single Shot Exemption. Check the sticky at the top of the CA handgun section.

Go through Tablerockarms.com if you want one. Ryan is a great guy to deal with. That's how I got my PPQ.

drifter2be
12-05-2012, 7:07 PM

You are flat out kidding yourself if you are going to try to compare the knockoff bersa thunder to the PPK, doesn't even come close to the quality of the S&W production PPK or PPK/S.

On a side note I have resolved to adding a P99AS to my collection, my local range has one, lightly used, in the gun cabinet, $500 price tag, my price would be less because of membership, but after getting all excited I noticed it was a .40S&W. Not that I have a problem with .40, nor am I one of those whiny babies about how "snappy" .40 is, I just am not set up to load that particular round, everything I have is setup around .38, .380 and 9mm, so it would just create a headache buying a gun in .40 at this point. Checked gunbroker, found one for $519 + $18 shipping, + $20-25 for an FFL to receive it, they I checked budsgunshop, and saw that I can get a brand new Magnum Research clone, the MR9, for $499 shipped, but like the few SW99 pistols I have found for sale, I just can't get past the fact that it doesn't say Walther.

Posted a local WTB ad, and figure I will give that a few days to see if a local has on they want to part with, but I may end up showing my true impatience and buying the P99 on gunbroker.

That said, I just remembered, the guy behind the counter at the range said that Walther discontinued the P99. Is there any truth to this? I still see the P99 listed on the Walther America website.

Thanks.

Artema
12-05-2012, 7:16 PM
I bought a P99cAS brand new recently for more than that. That's a great price. The P99AS in .40 is over $800 new! I do recommend it, my function is the same as yours, just shorter barrel and grip. It is absolutely awesome, and I've confirmed all parts are made in Germany, so no S&W parts, even the slide! Though they did stamp it.

Aspec5vz
12-05-2012, 7:18 PM
The P99 is not discontinued. They stopped making the P99 with the QA trigger and instead are making only the AS trigger model.

You're making me jealous with all the Walthers you're buying! I wish I lived in a free state so I could pick up a PPS and a P5. I can't wait to pick up my PPK on Saturday though!

Aspec5vz
12-05-2012, 7:22 PM
Also...the only Walther made by S&W is the PPK/S, everything else in 100% Walther and made in Germany. Well the P22, M&P22, Colt Rail Gun .22 and maybe the PK380 are made by Umarex.

drifter2be
12-05-2012, 8:05 PM
The P99 is not discontinued. They stopped making the P99 with the QA trigger and instead are making only the AS trigger model.

You're making me jealous with all the Walthers you're buying! I wish I lived in a free state so I could pick up a PPS and a P5. I can't wait to pick up my PPK on Saturday though!

That is what I thought. Well, the guy at the range told me to come in tomorrow and talk to their guy that does special orders. I was planning on going shooting tomorrow anyway...loaded up another 100 rounds to put through the PPQ and PPS. I'll have to see if they can get me the P99AS that I want. Will give me more of a reason to order those spare magazines.

Freedom is nice, although I have yet to truly enjoy freedom...planning on getting an NFA trust set up in January though, and that will change shortly thereafter.

Gottmituns
12-05-2012, 9:35 PM
You are flat out kidding yourself if you are going to try to compare the knockoff bersa thunder to the PPK, doesn't even come close to the quality of the S&W production PPK or PPK/S.

On a side note I have resolved to adding a P99AS to my collection, my local range has one, lightly used, in the gun cabinet, $500 price tag, my price would be less because of membership, but after getting all excited I noticed it was a .40S&W. Not that I have a problem with .40, nor am I one of those whiny babies about how "snappy" .40 is, I just am not set up to load that particular round, everything I have is setup around .38, .380 and 9mm, so it would just create a headache buying a gun in .40 at this point. Checked gunbroker, found one for $519 + $18 shipping, + $20-25 for an FFL to receive it, they I checked budsgunshop, and saw that I can get a brand new Magnum Research clone, the MR9, for $499 shipped, but like the few SW99 pistols I have found for sale, I just can't get past the fact that it doesn't say Walther.

Thanks.

Begs the question: So Out the FFL door is just 25 bucks more than what the gun cost, shipped?

My FFL charges about 100 on top of the gun.
DROS, TAX, and some other ones.
When I see a gun on gunbroker, i always assume, 100 more.

Is there a less expensive way?

drifter2be
12-05-2012, 9:52 PM
Begs the question: So Out the FFL door is just 25 bucks more than what the gun cost, shipped?

My FFL charges about 100 on top of the gun.
DROS, TAX, and some other ones.
When I see a gun on gunbroker, i always assume, 100 more.

Is there a less expensive way?

Yeah, the less expensive way is live outside of CA. Our FFLs don't violently rape us when we order a gun online. Average cost to do a FFL transfer out here is $25, less if you have a CCW because they don't have to waste time calling in a background check. My FFL charges me $20, once my CCW comes in the mail it will be $15, oh, and we don't get hit with BS fees like DROS...

So when I see a gun on gunbroker it is what the seller is charging for shipping, plus $20, $25 if my guy is going to be out of town (works out of his home and takes a lot of vacations)

My FFL actually fell out of his chair when I told him what most CA FFLs charge for a transfer.

drifter2be
12-05-2012, 9:55 PM
I bought a P99cAS brand new recently for more than that. That's a great price. The P99AS in .40 is over $800 new! I do recommend it, my function is the same as yours, just shorter barrel and grip. It is absolutely awesome, and I've confirmed all parts are made in Germany, so no S&W parts, even the slide! Though they did stamp it.

I completely forgot about the compact variant:facepalm:

Kind of teetering on that though, since I have a PPS I would probably never carry a P99c...maybe in jacket weather...

There is one that is still under $200 on gun broker, $40 shipping. I'll keep my eye on it as it is going for another day and a half.

I might just say screw it and go back and buy that P99 in 40, was going to pick up a progressive press, so aside from investing in dies and etc. it's not that big of a deal to load multiple calibers when I will be spending about 1/3 the amount of time to load a given amount of ammo.

Artema
12-06-2012, 5:04 AM
Yeah, I originally wanted a PPS, but as a gun (owner) noob I didn't know about the single shot exemption. I'm extremely happy with the P99c, the AS trigger is great.

Gottmituns
12-06-2012, 5:29 AM
Yeah, I originally wanted a PPS, but as a gun (owner) noob I didn't know about the single shot exemption. I'm extremely happy with the P99c, the AS trigger is great.
How much more is it $$ on average to use this method?

drifter2be
12-06-2012, 3:08 PM
How much more is it $$ on average to use this method?

Typically, from what I saw before I left CA, you are going to pay around MSRP on the gun, + ~$100 for the shop to do the SSE for you, + tax + DROS fee.

Took my Walthers to the range again this morning. Again, very pleased with the results. I now have enough rounds through my PPQ to trust it as my new nightstand gun. I don't think any of the centerfires have given me a single hiccup yet...knock on wood. I had a couple failure to extract issues with the P22, but that was only with the Winchester 555 ammo I am still burning through.

Snapped a pic of all my babies together before cleaning them, threw it up in the Walther picture thread, figured that thread could use another post.

I talked to the manager at the range, and if I decide to go for it they will sell me that P99AS in .40 for $450 + tax...so I am really doing some soul searching on whether or not I feel like loading another caliber or not.

drifter2be
12-07-2012, 5:30 PM
Ok. I told myself this will be the last one for a while...

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac130/88_7mge/pix884134101.jpg

Just won this one on Gunbroker. P99cAS, still new in box, although it has a '09 date code. This is going to be my winter clothing concealed carry pistol.

Only thing left on my list of wants is a PK380, although I am in no rush to get one. This is the first time in months that I have had to wait to shoot a gun I have bought...small reminder of the pain of CA gun ownership, although between the weekend and 2nd day air shipping I should have mine within 5 days.

Artema
12-07-2012, 5:34 PM
Ok. I told myself this will be the last one for a while...

Just won this one on Gunbroker. P99cAS, still new in box, although it has a '09 date code. This is going to be my winter clothing concealed carry pistol.

Only thing left on my list of wants is a PK380, although I am in no rush to get one. This is the first time in months that I have had to wait to shoot a gun I have bought...small reminder of the pain of CA gun ownership, although between the weekend and 2nd day air shipping I should have mine within 5 days.

That is a great gun. I love mine! Supposed to be one of the safest guns out there. I hope my Santa Barbara county CCW goes through. I'm jealous.

hundreddollarman
12-07-2012, 9:28 PM
(sigh) I wished I lived in a free state. I would load up on Walthers, as many models and calibers I could get my mitts on (and afford). And if I ever had to move back to this godforsaken communist state, I could at least pick up a nice pile of cash flipping the extra pieces I picked up. Walthers seem to be so damn hard to come by where I live.

Anyway, I really enjoy looking at all the pretty pictures in this thread. :)

Aspec5vz
12-07-2012, 9:39 PM
You can load up on Walthers in the PRK...it's just significantly harder lol. I'm slowly building my collection.

drifter2be
12-07-2012, 10:05 PM
You can load up on Walthers in the PRK...it's just significantly harder lol. I'm slowly building my collection.

You guys pretty much can only get the P22 if I remember correctly, everything else you need to find PPT or do a single shot exemption, right?

Hundreddollarman, I see the PPK or PPK/S on your list in your sig. I will suggest, having owned them both now, if you get it in .380, get the PPK. The snappiness of the .380 round in a blowback design can be a bit abusive on your hand after a few mags. The PPK/S has an exposed metal backstrap, and the width is fairly thin, so your hand will take a beating shooting that gun. The PPK has a plastic grip that goes around the back of the pistol, giving you a slightly wider backstrap against your hand. I found that with the .380 version of those two guns they were equally accurate, but the smaller PPK was actually easier to shoot a large number of rounds through. In .32 I would say it's really a wash, the .32 model doesn't kick as hard which is why the next gun I buy is going to be an Interarms .32acp PPK

Also, if you concealed carry, the PPK makes an excellent pocket gun. I throw mine in a pocket holster in my front pocket, perfect for running out for a quick errand or when I'm wearing one of my shirts that doesn't hang too low past my belt, I don't like people even being able to see the clip for my IWB holster.

Aspec5vz
12-07-2012, 10:19 PM
The P99, P22, and P1 are on the roster; everything else needs to be PPT or SSE. I got my PPQ through SSE and the PPK I'm picking up tomorrow I just happened to find in a gun shop. Every now and then a "rare" Walther will pop up for sale in the for sale section here, just gotta keep an eye out for them.

drifter2be
12-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Nice find. .32 or .380?

I'm all squared up with the FFL on gunbroker, they have my P99c boxed up and ready to head out 2nd day air on Monday. Turns out the range that I am a member at does FFL transfers, so I decided to use them this time. $20 fee for everything, but I liked the idea of using them since they are open from 9-8 on the day my gun should be arriving, and I won't have to go too far to put a few rounds through her before heading home.

Aspec5vz
12-08-2012, 12:10 PM
It's a .32 made in 1956. Super excited! You're gonna love the p99c! It's a fun gun for sure.

ElvenSoul
12-08-2012, 12:23 PM
You guys must love Bond Films :)

Seriously I miss my P4

drifter2be
12-08-2012, 12:54 PM

Seriously I miss my P4

It started off like that for me, but it's the quality of the guns that made me go all in on Walther.

Artema
12-08-2012, 1:19 PM

Seriously I miss my P4

I honestly didn't know that he had switched from the PPK to the P99 until after I got my P99c out of jail. But I'm sure having heard the name Walther in movies helped me be aware of it enough to include it in my pre-purchase research.

drifter2be
12-08-2012, 1:50 PM
I honestly didn't know that he had switched from the PPK to the P99 until after I got my P99c out of jail. But I'm sure having heard the name Walther in movies helped me be aware of it enough to include it in my pre-purchase research.

The Bond guns are what are my next two want to buys. Planning on finding a blued, German-made PPK in .32 and a 1st gen Walther P99 in 9mm.

hundreddollarman
12-08-2012, 2:42 PM
Hundreddollarman, I see the PPK or PPK/S on your list in your sig. I will suggest, having owned them both now, if you get it in .380, get the PPK. The snappiness of the .380 round in a blowback design can be a bit abusive on your hand after a few mags. The PPK/S has an exposed metal backstrap, and the width is fairly thin, so your hand will take a beating shooting that gun. The PPK has a plastic grip that goes around the back of the pistol, giving you a slightly wider backstrap against your hand.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll keep it in mind. I've always wanted "James Bond's gun." You can't go wrong with the classics. I'm not really planning on CCW-ing the PPK because I don't really care for the .380. Not because it's an inferior caliber (it's not), but mainly because I'm trying to keep my ammunition standardized between 9mm and .45 ACP.

I wish I had a chance to grip and shoot a P99 and PPQ. I've heard nothing but marvelous things about them.

drifter2be
12-13-2012, 1:21 PM
Picked up my P99cAS a few hours ago, put a few boxes through it. Absolutely love the trigger. In single action it feels fairly similar to the trigger on my PPQ.

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac130/88_7mge/F694C937-9A2D-4203-B2A0-534E174C878C-10464-000009E60160DB2D.jpg

Not a single hiccup and managed to blow a single large hole in the target at 25 feet. Was actually just as accurate as my PPQ at that distance.

I actually think that I may trade my PPQ for a P99AS this weekend, as I have a trade offer straight across for one, and since the PPQ is slightly cheaper and easier to find right now I figure I might as well go for it, not to mention the P99 fits my hand a little better than the PPQ.

drifter2be
12-28-2012, 10:21 PM
So, apparently I wasn't kidding when I said that I was becoming a Walther addict. I did trade the PPQ for the P99AS a few weeks ago, extremely happy with that decision. I can't really tell a difference between the PPQ and the P99AS trigger in single action.

I did just purchase ANOTHER gun. Snagged a lightly used P99cQA on Gun Broker for $430 shipped, plus $20 at the range for the transfer puts it at $450, complete with the box and both factory mags. That puts the current count at P22, PPK, PPS, P99AS, P99cAS and now a P99cQA. I've now got my eyes on picking up a G22 rifle or possibly a 5" P22.

drifter2be
12-28-2012, 10:22 PM
So, apparently I wasn't kidding when I said that I was becoming a Walther addict. I did trade the PPQ for the P99AS a few weeks ago, extremely happy with that decision. I can't really tell a difference between the PPQ and the P99AS trigger in single action.

I did just purchase ANOTHER gun. Snagged a lightly used P99cQA on Gun Broker for $430 shipped, plus $20 at the range for the transfer puts it at $450, complete with the box and both factory mags. That puts the current count at P22, PPK, PPS, P99AS, P99cAS and now a P99cQA. I've now got my eyes on picking up a G22 rifle or possibly a 5" P22.

hundreddollarman
12-29-2012, 9:37 AM
(sigh) Is it Monday yet? I can't wait to bail out my PPK I got from a fellow Calgunner!

Aspec5vz
12-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Congrats! I love mine!

Mickey D
12-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Just a few I have acquired over the years.

Walther P38k NIB unfired
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/WaltherP38kb.jpg

PP 7.65
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/Walther765white.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/Walther765RH.jpg

PPKs .380
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/WaltherPPKs.jpg

Saym14
12-30-2012, 4:56 PM
pickedup my first Walter-a PPQin9mm yesterday.havent shot it yet but feelsnice

Ranger20
01-01-2013, 10:46 AM
I concur. My ppks walther-manurhin is my favorite pistol.

hundreddollarman
01-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Now that I have a PPK, I want a P99 to go with it.

drifter2be
01-01-2013, 10:59 AM
pickedup my first Walter-a PPQin9mm yesterday.havent shot it yet but feelsnice

That very well may become a collectors item. The new Walther Arms website went live and they do not list the original paddle mag release PPQ on their site, only the new PPQ M2 with a button release. There's a good possibility that the original style PPQ will no longer be imported here.

Blue Ridge Reef
01-01-2013, 11:02 AM
I might have to buy one then. I prefer the AS trigger, and so have P99's, but Walther just makes nice handguns, and the mag release is one more plus. Walther de-Glocked me.

uhlan1
01-01-2013, 1:44 PM
Since last posting, I picked up a PPQ 9mm. Now I love my Glocks, but the PPQ is a lot smoother and more accurate than my G19 or even my G17. My g34 is better farther out, at least for me. But what a trigger! It's a treat to shoot.

uhlan1
01-01-2013, 1:44 PM
Since last posting, I picked up a PPQ 9mm. Now I love my Glocks, but the PPQ is a lot smoother and more accurate than my G19 or even my G17. My g34 is better farther out, at least for me. But what a trigger! It's a treat to shoot.

Blue Ridge Reef
01-01-2013, 2:22 PM
uhlan, I'm a member of Glocktalk from a decade ago, and still enjoy some of the guys and banter there. But let their be no doubt, get a P99 AS in your hands.... I can only speak my experience, but the love affair with that G19/17/26 that I had for most of my adult life, withered like a orchid in the sun. I just shot better with Walther P99 AS pistols than the Glocks I had thousands of rounds practice with. Or HK's I paid a lot more for. Plus, if you're a shooter you'll notice the reset on the P99 is just sweet!

PPQ
01-01-2013, 2:34 PM
Walthers! PPQ .40, PPK/s .380 and P22...

Check out the new website www.waltherarms.com.

Walther is now in the US separate from Smith & Wesson. New models are coming this month: PPQ M2, PPK/s .22 and PPX...Can't wait!

FourLoko
01-01-2013, 6:22 PM
been eyeing a PPQ for a long while, local SSE dealer makes me feel bad for not doing it sooner

the dilemma will be 9mm or .40

PPQ
01-01-2013, 7:38 PM
been eyeing a PPQ for a long while, local SSE dealer makes me feel bad for not doing it sooner

the dilemma will be 9mm or .40

This is America...Bigger is better! But, more expensive...depending on your needs, the 9mm is much less expensive to shoot than a .40 cal...YMMV...:oji:

uhlan1
01-01-2013, 8:28 PM
uhlan, I'm a member of Glocktalk from a decade ago, and still enjoy some of the guys and banter there. But let their be no doubt, get a P99 AS in your hands.... I can only speak my experience, but the love affair with that G19/17/26 that I had for most of my adult life, withered like a orchid in the sun. I just shot better with Walther P99 AS pistols than the Glocks I had thousands of rounds practice with. Or HK's I paid a lot more for. Plus, if you're a shooter you'll notice the reset on the P99 is just sweet!

So I hear. been looking for one. Like it OD if i can be picky. Too much black in my safe, it's like a black hole (certainly towards my wallet).

dinkydau
01-01-2013, 9:46 PM
I'm an addict too. I have 3 Walther P-1's, almost mint condition.
3 blued ppks's; 2 are .380 and the other is .32cal.
3-stainless ppks's; 2 are .380 and the other is the tph 22LR
I am looking for another tph 22LR and may try to obtain a WW2 P-38 to go with the P-1's. Back in the mid 70's I had a 1944 Spreewerk P-38 and it fired great and was real fun to shoot.
They all feel good in my hand.
Another reason why i like the Walthers is, they are metal and have the distinctive compact look. Now if you look at all the hadguns made now including the Walthers, to me they all look the same; Glock, H&K, S%W, etc. They are all with that modern plastic polymer and they dont have their own look to them anymore.
I will still hunt down more older Walther's; ppk's and P-1/P-38's

cwilliams
01-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Ok, you have all convinced me to get a PPQ! Thanks for putting a dent on my wallet :-P I have, by chance, been able to hold and fire a couple rounds from one. Felt good to me! I have found myself more and more interested in Walther's because of their uniqueness.

skeeter149
01-01-2013, 10:55 PM
here are pics of my new p99 qa 9mm when i got it last year in feb. i have only shot it twice for about 400 rounds but it has been awesome. no problems with wwb and wally world federal. thinking about getting a ppq next month but if they do change the mag release i probably will pass:( this gun shames my wifes sr9c horribly. after 400 rounds it has had 50+ problems, you name it stovepiping, ftf, fte, failure to return to battery. anytime i look into a new gun walther will be my first shopper.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/skeeter149/20120306_201904.jpg

and yes i was a giant pierce brosnan fan. when i first saw the p99 in tomorrow never dies i was sold. i went with the qa for the decocker and trigger. never shot a as but for me the decocker was enough and i love the trigger:)

Artema
01-05-2013, 4:05 PM
Anyone with a PPS, could you send me a message? I want to ask some questions on the SSE, or if you will sell to me, lol.

skeeter149
01-05-2013, 4:27 PM
ok i went out and looked at a ppq. think im gonna have to get it. the wife loved it and even wanted to sell her sr9c. the trigger is amazing but my p99 is still my favorite gun. gonna hopefully be selling a car part i have have and getting on this ppq this week. great gun, i do wish it had the striker indicator thing though and for home defense the trigger was a little too good for me lol. but beautiful gun and glad to see walther is still making quality. overlapping 9mm here i come:) and i am gonna be picking up the costco long or big horn safe(whatever it is)

skeeter149
01-05-2013, 4:27 PM
ok i went out and looked at a ppq. think im gonna have to get it. the wife loved it and even wanted to sell her sr9c. the trigger is amazing but my p99 is still my favorite gun. gonna hopefully be selling a car part i have have and getting on this ppq this week. great gun, i do wish it had the striker indicator thing though and for home defense the trigger was a little too good for me lol. but beautiful gun and glad to see walther is still making quality. overlapping 9mm here i come:) and i am gonna be picking up the costco long or big horn safe(whatever it is)

Saym14
01-05-2013, 8:25 PM
after you shoot it the 99 may no longer be your favorite.

and a HD gun trigger can never be too "good" . ( maybe too light) :)

BrassCase
01-05-2013, 8:35 PM
CZ82 available from J&G sales in Prescott AZ. Get a C&R license. Mine has new American barrel and is a wonderful shooter. It is a 9x18 Makrov, basically it is the same as a CZ83. The Makrov's are fairly accurate out to about 25 yds, after that they drop like rocks. One of my favorites is my Walther P-01(P38). Built in 1965, I bought it from Royal Tiger Imports. It was a never issued German police gun, $399. I don't think the never issued ones are available anymore. It is a great shooter. JG also has WW2 P38's (9x19 Luger) at a reasonable price. Just don't run +P ammo through it to be safe.

cwilliams
01-07-2013, 10:19 PM
PPQ is on order!

RollingCode3
01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
PPQ is on order!

good choice... I love my PPQ. Last I heard, Walther already discontinued the current version of the PPQ. It is not on the website anymore.

Here is mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_0039.jpg

cwilliams
01-07-2013, 10:39 PM
good choice... I love my PPQ. Last I heard, Walther already discontinued the current version of the PPQ. It is not on the website anymore.

Precisely why I decided to go for it now. Who knows what the future availability of it and the new model will be in this state (even with SSE). I also like the trigger guard mag release. I've only been able to shoot it a couple times, but I liked it!

The big reason why the PPQ keeps winning when I compare it to other models and manufacturers is the clean control layout. I've shot a couple Sigs (226, and 228), and while I shoot them well, they just don't feel totally comfortable in my hand because of the bulge near my right thumb that's by the decocker and slide stop. The other gun on my list was a CZ-75B, but I could not find it locally in stock in 9mm. The internal rails really are a nice touch and the gun feels spectacular.