PDA

View Full Version : CZ 75 SP-01 Firing Pin Retaining Pin out of spec???

bsumoba
11-29-2012, 7:50 PM
So I sent my gun to David at CGW to have him install the firing pin retaining pin in my CZ 75. I tried a lot myself to punch these pins in with no success.

He mentioned to me that the hole was out of spec and should have been 0.1250-0.12505. He mentioned mine was 0.124, hence the reason why I couldn't press them in.

David is awesome and used up 2 of his own pins to help me out. He also had to mill the hole out. I cannot thank him enough! Please use him for any/all of your CZ 75 needs. Great guy!!!!

With that said, has anyone experienced this issue? I thought the SP-01's used the same manufacturing process as the P-01 and they are suppose to be tighter with tolerances, interchangeability and quality.

Also, this particular gun shoots a little low and my front sight is the night sight and it is "out." CZ is sending me another front sight to replace it.

Did I get a lemon!? Everything else about the gun is great.

Date code is 2012, the date of the test fire was July 31st. The target is below. Target looks okay. At 7-15yds, I am aiming about 2-4 inches above the target to hit the target

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/Bryan_Sumoba/2012-11-29_19-43-47_245.jpg

JeremyS
11-29-2012, 8:43 PM
Wow! Crazy about the night sight being out. The half life of tritium is like 15 year or something I believe? Maybe it was a dud from the Tru-Dot factory and CZ probably doesn't actually check them to make sure they glow in the dark. They don't actually manufacture the sights (note the Tru-Dot logo on the rear one).

Weird about the firing pin hole as well. I wonder if the CNC machine grabbed the wrong drill bit or what. Odd that it could 1) happen at all and 2) actually assemble at the factory with a firing pin and spring inside of it and 3) function properly.

Glad you got that fixed and glad David helped you out! He does excellent machine work!

As for the gun shooting low. It's a combat gun, which generally means you obscure your target with the front sight -- literally put the dot over what you want to hit. Target guns tend to hit right above the front sight, but combat/defense guns are typically obscure-the-target style. This would cause you to hit low if you're doing a more typical target shooting hold.

You may have seen this graphic before, but this demonstrates it pretty well. #2 is most pistols designed for range use, target shooting, plinking, etc. #3 is many/most pistols designed for combat or defensive use:

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sightimages.jpg

....#1?.... probably single action revolvers designed for quick draw. They shoot high so you don't have to bring the gun up quite as far before pulling the trigger :p

Speedpower
11-29-2012, 8:46 PM
I think it is the other way around, that the retaining pin is out of spec, is the retaining pin you are trying to install an optional solid retaining pin?

lordres
11-29-2012, 8:48 PM
Are you getting those results while benching or just free standing?

bsumoba
11-29-2012, 8:56 PM
I think it is the other way around, that the retaining pin is out of spec, is the retaining pin you are trying to install an optional solid retaining pin?

It is one of David's solid firing pins and he stands by his pins and I do too. I measured his pins with a calibrated caliper and it was where he said it should be. i never bothered to measure the ID of the firing pin hole myself so i'll have to trust David...and I do.

Are you getting those results while benching or just free standing?

I'm free standing. Haven't benched it and I am not the best shot, but I'm grouping them pretty well from 10 yds (2-3 inches at 10 yds).

Speedpower
11-29-2012, 9:01 PM
It is one of David's solid firing pins and he stands by his pins and I do too. I measured his pins with a calibrated caliper and it was where he said it should be. i never bothered to measure the ID of the firing pin hole myself so i'll have to trust David...and I do.

I'm free standing. Haven't benched it and I am not the best shot, but I'm grouping them pretty well from 10 yds (2-3 inches at 10 yds).

I bought my firing pin retaining pins from CZ Customs and both fits in my pistol perfectly (SP-01 and .40 Compact)

bsumoba
11-29-2012, 9:04 PM
I bought my firing pin retaining pins from CZ Customs and both fits in my pistol perfectly (SP-01 and .40 Compact)

im just glad David took care of me on this. And I'm also glad CZ is sending me another front sight. Now I have to learn how to remove and replace the front sight :eek:

FYI, my gun shoot like sight picture #3 from 7-10 yds.

Speedpower
11-29-2012, 9:09 PM
im just glad David took care of me on this. And I'm also glad CZ is sending me another front sight. Now I have to learn how to remove and replace the front sight :eek:

It's really easy to replace the front sight, all you need is a correct size roll pin punch and a small hammer, just place your slide on a wooden block and drive out the retaining pin, the front sight comes right out when the retaining pin is taken out, installing is just the reversal of the process of removing it.

JeremyS
11-29-2012, 9:48 PM

It's supposed to, so all is well :)

...installing is just the reversal of the process of removing it...

That depends on the front sight you get. Some are not drilled for the new roll pin and are purposely oversized for the dovetail so you must file them until they fit snug. You get them into place and then you drill a new hole for the roll pin. IMPORTANT that you drill from the left side of the gun to the right side, because the rotation of the bit will keep the sight pushed into the dovetail. It's possible that if you drill from the other side, it walks the sight out a little bit.

CGW's front sight is already drilled so you don't have to worry about this and, as Speedpower stated, install is the reverse of removal. If you get a hi-viz or most of the sights that CZ Custom has, you'll have to drill. Oh... obviously you're getting a factory replacement. I actually have no clue if it'll come drilled or not!

Speedpower
11-29-2012, 10:03 PM
It's supposed to, so all is well :)

That depends on the front sight you get. Some are not drilled for the new roll pin and are purposely oversized for the dovetail so you must file them until they fit snug. You get them into place and then you drill a new hole for the roll pin. IMPORTANT that you drill from the left side of the gun to the right side, because the rotation of the bit will keep the sight pushed into the dovetail. It's possible that if you drill from the other side, it walks the sight out a little bit.

CGW's front sight is already drilled so you don't have to worry about this and, as Speedpower stated, install is the reverse of removal. If you get a hi-viz or most of the sights that CZ Custom has, you'll have to drill. Oh... obviously you're getting a factory replacement. I actually have no clue if it'll come drilled or not!

Actually the factory sights will need to be drilled, assuming it is a new one sent, but who knows, since it's a warranty replacement, they might drill it already (maybe)

I have installed a factory FO front sight and yes it needs to be drilled.

bsumoba
12-02-2012, 9:50 AM
****UPDATE****

So my firing pin retaining pin is all good now.

And I got my front site from CZ (for free of course) to replace the broken one. After closer inspection of the damaged sight, it looks like there was some kind of crack. Regardless, they're working now.

Replacing was easy:
1) Use a vice to hold the slide. Use a 5/64 roll pin punch to punch out the roll pin (either side is fine)
2) install new sight and seat it in as best as you can
3) Use a 5/64 drill bit (or the one from cz, but the one they have is a #47, which is basically a 5/64 drill bit) to drill cutout on new sight. Drill from the right side
4) clean out burrs
5) punch in new roll pin (either direction)

For my first encounter with CZ customer service, Im glad to say that I had great service. Hopefully this is the only thing I need to go to them with.

zfields
12-02-2012, 10:45 AM
****UPDATE****

So my firing pin retaining pin is all good now.

And I got my front site from CZ (for free of course) to replace the broken one. After closer inspection of the damaged sight, it looks like there was some kind of crack. Regardless, they're working now.

Replacing was easy:
1) Use a vice to hold the slide. Use a 5/64 roll pin punch to punch out the roll pin (either side is fine)
2) install new sight and seat it in as best as you can
3) Use a 5/64 drill bit (or the one from cz, but the one they have is a #47, which is basically a 5/64 drill bit) to drill cutout on new sight. Drill from the right side
4) clean out burrs
5) punch in new roll pin (either direction)

For my first encounter with CZ customer service, Im glad to say that I had great service. Hopefully this is the only thing I need to go to them with.

Glad your experience wen't well. Mine was a pain in the butt, but it was for a full replacement.