PDA

View Full Version : have i been assembling my 1911 wrong?

high_revs
11-29-2012, 4:03 PM
cuz i'm trying to figure out how some folks get the "idiot marks." i have a SA loaded. it's only been my 3rd time cleaning it (not complete field strip).

i can't see how i can rotate counter clockwise the slide lock pin to get it past that button thingie. not judging or anything, or i'm all that. but if there's anything i can do to prevent the mark, i'm all for learning sicne i'm shooting my 1911 more. (slide was sticking a little every 3 shots or so on the last 1/4" travel hence i cleaned it). i'm not sure if different 1911's assemble differently when it comes to the slide lock.

i wanted to double check if there was a different way of re-assembling it so i saw this site below. they say snap the slide top in place (i use a precision tool to push the spring a little to help.

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-User%27s-Guide.html

i also looked at a wilson combat video (made by wilson combat) but they don't quite show the slide lock pin fully mounted back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4WPQxAyJks (jump to 8:28).

p.s. not sure i can follow the wilson combat video or the web page sicne i have to screw on the lock for the spring via allen key. i'd really have to hold the spring down if i assemble the slide fully but that'll push that slide lock key up with the tension.

pontiacpratt
11-29-2012, 4:05 PM
I've always just used my fingernail to take the tension off and click the slide stop in.

Lead Waster
11-29-2012, 4:07 PM
It's easy. Just try to insert the thing in straight, then spaz out. Since you are putting downward pressure on it, it's easy for it to score that mark on. That's what I did and I was very careful to not "swing it into position". Just a moment of spasticity and there you go! It took me about half an hour to not care anymore about it. Meh.

Laythor
11-29-2012, 4:07 PM
until you get more comfortable putting the 1911 back together you can use something like this:

Sdtc4qD3jMw

just make your own

five.five-six
11-29-2012, 4:09 PM
A 1911 with idiot marks looks much better than any glock, be happy; It could be a lot worse.

Brandon04GT
11-29-2012, 4:09 PM
If you're worried about the scratch, just use tape.

If the plunger spring is really stiff, you can use some improvised tool (like a kebab skewer lol) to push in the plunger as you push the slide stop upwards.

Or, if it is not very strong, you can just rest the slide stop on top of the plunger and use some "umph" to push the slide stop in at an angle, pushing upwards and inwards into place.

Or, do the Log Man mod.

Press Check
11-29-2012, 4:20 PM
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214653

Read that, go to Harbor Freight, grab a set of needle files ($5), and go to work. For good measure, I also polish the tip of the plunger tube spring.

Press Check
11-29-2012, 4:22 PM
By the way, if your pistol is stainless, you can polish out the scratch with Flitz, and restore the brushed finish with a Maroon Scothbrite pad. I had a 1911 come back from the Custom Shop twice with an idiot scratch on it. Go figure.

Freq18Hz
11-29-2012, 4:23 PM
OP: There are a few different methods to take down 1911's. I personally use the one that Brown and Wilson recommend.

The idiot mark is created when the slide stop rotates while touching the frame.

This is a problem that is more extenuated on more 1911's that have tighter builds/fitment, because they are typically more difficult to get the slide stop snapped back in.

I recommend watching the Brown and Wilson videos thoroughly, and using some thick tape/other product mentioned above until you get the hang of it. Also, oil reduces friction, so having a bunch of that on the frame is never a bad thing (unless it makes you lose your grip).

Good luck,

-Freq

goldengate
11-29-2012, 4:46 PM
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214653

Read that, go to Harbor Freight, grab a set of needle files ($5), and go to work. For good measure, I also polish the tip of the plunger tube spring.

+1 on the Log Man modification. Start with a triangle file, then finish it with the round file. Take less than 5 mins. Did it to all 4 of my 1911 and never have to worry about the 'idiot mark'.

WWDHD?
11-29-2012, 4:59 PM
I have a SA Loaded SS and it is a lot of work to put back together. Mine is evidently very tightly put together and it takes me a long time to reassemble it after cleaning. I replaced the two-piece guide rod with a one piece, full-length GR and that helped some. I use a little flat screwdriver to depress the plunger as I push in the slide stop. I have put a small mark on my slide and will try to polish it out with Flitz.
I also have a RIA Tactical and that is a lot easier for me to reassemble. I guess its just looser. I've only been fooling around with 1911's for about a year now and I'm always learning stuff here about them.

ChaneRZ
11-29-2012, 4:59 PM
Just place a business card and rotate.

InGrAM
11-29-2012, 5:06 PM
File a small notch into the slide stop like others have posted. It doesn't do anything to the reliability of the firearm and you don't need any extra tools to reassemble your 1911.

gorenut
11-29-2012, 5:20 PM
The notch definitely works well. Some newer slide stops come with the notch already put into it.

Sunday
11-29-2012, 6:17 PM
Only an idiot cares about an idiot mark.

redcliff
11-29-2012, 7:55 PM
Only an idiot cares about an idiot mark.

Guess I'm an idiot then, albeit one with nice looking 1911's.

I see no reason to put one on my 1911's when doing it with proper technique and a small amount of care prevents getting one.

Horton Fenty
11-29-2012, 8:18 PM
I do it like the Wilson video, not like the 10-8 Performance example. I don't rotate the stop into place. I use the push down and slightly up method.

Chief-7700
11-29-2012, 8:37 PM
Cut a coil off the plunger spring.....

NewbieDave
11-29-2012, 8:53 PM
Someone from the 1911 forum did this to his slide stop... from the detail, it seem to work well.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr85/logpics/SLIDESTOP.jpg

Speedpower
11-29-2012, 8:58 PM
Someone from the 1911 forum did this to his slide stop... from the detail, it seem to work well.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr85/logpics/SLIDESTOP.jpg

The guy who came up with that idea is "LOGMAN" he is from Riverside California, now a lot of 1911 makers are applying that idea to their production guns, like Dan Wesson and I believe Remington is doing it too! I did it to all my 1911 and it's now too easy to install the slide stop back in ;)

high_revs
11-30-2012, 1:48 PM
thanks! i actually have some needle files already too.

+1 on the Log Man modification. Start with a triangle file, then finish it with the round file. Take less than 5 mins. Did it to all 4 of my 1911 and never have to worry about the 'idiot mark'.

maybe i just don't shoot mine enough. mine is also SA but the loaded parkerized/blue'ed version only. putting it back (mainly the slide) is what takes me a ton of time (and mostly being careful on that slide lock pin).

guess i just need to shoot it more too to further break her in. i just looked at my round count and i have a piddly 150 rds thru only. (single owner).

I have a SA Loaded SS and it is a lot of work to put back together. Mine is evidently very tightly put together and it takes me a long time to reassemble it after cleaning. I replaced the two-piece guide rod with a one piece, full-length GR and that helped some. I use a little flat screwdriver to depress the plunger as I push in the slide stop. I have put a small mark on my slide and will try to polish it out with Flitz.

fullspeed1
11-30-2012, 4:03 PM
2 words, "Idiot Mark". I sure as hell don't want one on my BAER!!

jessegpresley
11-30-2012, 7:39 PM
Wilson and Nighthawk already has the cut in their slide stop for the plunger detent.

Sonic_mike
11-30-2012, 8:19 PM
I use a 6" wooden q-tip to help push in the detent.