PDA

View Full Version : Californians really like guns on Black Friday 10,000 DROS

big103
11-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Well guys talked to an FFL I know on Black Friday and from what he could tell, there was over 9,800 not including multiple guns per form and that was around 6:45 P.M. He is sure and so am I, that it probably went past 10,000 that day. Big 5 and any other box stores that sell guns were still open for a couple more hours.

Basically what tells me is that we must really like guns here even thought we have legislators that say are we must be really unsafe and need more laws to restrict what we can own.

Just thought I would let you guys know.:D

POLICESTATE
11-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Not enough. People need to buy more guns. We need more first time gun buyers in this state, LOTS more. Preferably buying handguns and EBR's :43:

Socalpumpballer
11-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Im a first time gun buyer as of tuesday, only 8 more day to go until i can take it home. The gun store was the only black friday sale i went to this year.

NotEnufGarage
11-29-2012, 12:39 AM
I executed 2 DROS on Cyber Monday at 2 seperate FFL's.

RMP91
11-29-2012, 12:51 AM
What the hell is it with these double posts tonight?

RMP91
11-29-2012, 12:51 AM
The more guns being sold, the more difficult we make it for the antis to win!

They want to do something about the millions upon millions of guns already in private hands, not even counting the ones sold just recently? A physical IMPOSSIBILITY at this point! They don't have the resources to do anything about it! End of discussion!

NorCalXJ
11-29-2012, 12:58 AM
People love a good deal.

john67elco
11-29-2012, 1:59 AM
I turned 2 80%'s into 100's That weekend that count?

Curley Red
11-29-2012, 8:04 AM
This can't be true because California is full of liberals and according to a lot of people liberals do not like or own guns. I call FUD!!

madjack956
11-29-2012, 8:14 AM
Im a first time gun buyer as of tuesday, only 8 more day to go until i can take it home. The gun store was the only black friday sale i went to this year.

congratulations! and welcome to the forum...

wildhawker
11-29-2012, 9:19 AM
You'd have known that on Black Friday if you followed @combs_brandon and @Cal_FFL on Twitter. ;-)

triggatronic
11-29-2012, 9:20 AM
Nice. When I did my ppt on Black Friday we were over 8500 at around 330pm according to the folks at Target Range. So I can see going over 10k at te close of business.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

Mesa Tactical
11-29-2012, 9:21 AM
You'd have known that on Black Friday if you followed @combs_brandon and @Cal_FFL on Twitter. ;-)

Just did a news search. I wonder why the media haven't picked up on this.

big103
11-29-2012, 9:29 AM
I hope a story is written on this, It would be nice to see it out there.

sholling
11-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Welcome to Calguns. Hopefully that wait will go away someday.

Coded-Dude
11-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Total for the US: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/11/26/black-friday-gun-sales/1727409/

The FBI fielded 154,873 calls, a roughly 20% increase from last year's previous one-day record of 129,166, according to bureau records.

That doesn't count a lot of PPT sales that don't require checks either.

Python2
11-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Because the media are like dogs with their lease in the hands, the like of Fineswine, that is why.
What you should wonder is why we are still losing in California, not that I am questioning what CGN are doing and accomplishing.

wildhawker
11-29-2012, 11:30 AM

Why report an angle that disagrees with your bias?

-Brandon

POLICESTATE
11-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Total for the US: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/11/26/black-friday-gun-sales/1727409/

That doesn't count a lot of PPT sales that don't require checks either.

The thing about PPT is those guns are already out in the hands of the citizenry, all these new DROS sales are guns going into the hands of the citizenry (for the most part), and that's a happy thing :D

Mesa Tactical
11-29-2012, 1:09 PM
Just bought two lowers and a shotgun this morning, DROS number 00147. Since it's a five-digit number, all we have to do is buy a hundred thousand firearms in a single day to break the system.

Gentlemen, you know your duty.

Goosebrown
11-29-2012, 1:52 PM
6 AR receivers for me.

ACLU hero
11-29-2012, 6:01 PM
The more guns being sold, the more difficult we make it for the antis to win!

They want to do something about the millions upon millions of guns already in private hands, not even counting the ones sold just recently? A physical IMPOSSIBILITY at this point! They don't have the resources to do anything about it! End of discussion!

Although nothing is truly impossible in this world, the more OLL's out there the harder it gets to fund a total taking of semi-auto rifles. On a national level, this is a totally dead issue by now. In CA, i think we have a way to go.

So you are correct. Every 6 months or so, i add another semi auto to the safe. If we all keep it up, and most importantly- we keep spreading the word and encouraging new buyers (liberal, libertarian, conservative, whatever)- we can achieve the critical mass that would mean that total-taking legislation is forever prohibitively expensive.

I.E., we will create a situation where any seizure-type legislation is a dead letter as soon as the leg. analyst runs the price tag.

As an additional bonus, we all have more toys to enjoy at the range, hunting, etc.

Keep up the purchases, brothers and sisters.

ACLU out

IVC
11-29-2012, 6:47 PM

Shameless plug :)

Good news, though. The really important part is expanding the base, not just the numbers. Make sure that you take out friends and family shooting.

wildhawker
11-29-2012, 6:53 PM
Shameless plug :)

Good news, though. The really important part is expanding the base, not just the numbers. Make sure that you take out friends and family shooting.

Yes and yes. :)

-Brandon

chris
11-29-2012, 6:55 PM
This can't be true because California is full of liberals and according to a lot of people liberals do not like or own guns. I call FUD!!

have any proof to back up your claim? i'm guessing you don't.

Bill Carson
11-29-2012, 7:01 PM
I would like to see official DOJ documentation of those numbers.

AEC1
11-29-2012, 7:05 PM
Just bought two lowers and a shotgun this morning, DROS number 00147. Since it's a five-digit number, all we have to do is buy a million firearms in a single day to break the system.

Gentlemen, you know your duty.

No, 100,000 is One Hundred Thousand, not one million.

Mesa Tactical
11-30-2012, 7:47 AM
No, 100,000 is One Hundred Thousand, not one million.

Got me!

TacticalPlinker
11-30-2012, 8:26 AM
While I'm happy to see people buying guns, those numbers really don't mean anything.

Think about it... What's the current population in California? 40 million? You could multiply 10,000 by any number you want, it doesn't mean much.

What about nation wide? Another member posted over 154,000 sold. Current US population is over 300 million, with an estimated 60-80 million gun owners and an estimated over 300 million guns. Again, 154,000 doesn't mean much.

[off-topic; Now take those same numbers and apply them towards deaths by firearms in the United States every year, only estimated at 100,000 by the Bradybunch, we're talking fractions of 1 percent. It means nothing.]

I wonder how many guns were sold nationwide on, before and since the election. That'd be a more interesting number... I bought my Glock 19 on election day before I even knew Obama was re-elected.

big103
12-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Just need to look in the Right hand corner of any DROS the numbers after the dash is how many are sold state wide.

I would like to see official DOJ documentation of those numbers.

Well guys talked to my FFL again and he said it was 4,300 today. It`s been like that every Saturday sense the election. Average had been around 2,300 before the election.

Hurstolds
12-01-2012, 10:44 PM

CDFingers
12-02-2012, 6:03 AM
I didn't DROS anything, as I'm working on this project:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=649379

But since we live in such an anti gun state, I'm having a hard time believing that any person anywhere in our state could navigate all our Draconian laws, bribe the correct people, collect all the monies necessary to pay all the horrible fees, then skulk around in the middle of the night in order to buy a gun legally.

Oh, wait. Apparently about 10K folks were able to DROS. Must not be that tough, after all...

OK, OK, I'm being snarky. But you've got to admit there sure are a lot of guns in this supposed anti gun state. We may not be able to keep and bear any arm ever made, but we sure do have a lot of the ones we can have. Am I right?

CDFingers

tankarian
12-02-2012, 8:13 AM
I didn't DROS anything, as I'm working on this project:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=649379

But since we live in such an anti gun state, I'm having a hard time believing that any person anywhere in our state could navigate all our Draconian laws, bribe the correct people, collect all the monies necessary to pay all the horrible fees, then skulk around in the middle of the night in order to buy a gun legally.

Oh, wait. Apparently about 10K folks were able to DROS. Must not be that tough, after all...

OK, OK, I'm being snarky. But you've got to admit there sure are a lot of guns in this supposed anti gun state. We may not be able to keep and bear any arm ever made, but we sure do have a lot of the ones we can have. Am I right?

CDFingers

So this Black Friday did you also get your LTC from our friendly L.A. County sheriff Lee Baca, as well as a Taurus Judge revolver and a couple of 30 rounders for your detachable magazine AK rifle?
Wait, what did you just say? You didn't get any of that?
Why not? After all, this is California, the liberal paradise of unrestricted Second Amendment rights, pink unicorns and fluffy bunnies!
OK, OK, I'm being snarky. But you've got to admit there sure are a lot of liberal gun owners in California who behave like Kapos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapo_%28concentration_camp%29): prisoners themselves, but always willing to help the SS guards to keep the rest of the prisoners in line.

Sunday
12-02-2012, 8:29 AM
The people in Calif. reelected more anti gun politicians than bought guns. The people in the U.S. elected an anti gun president. Too much computer not though thought.

geeknow
12-02-2012, 8:45 AM
Not only were there roughly 4 times the usual number of DROS completed, but that number doesn't even take into account the likelihood that many of those were multiple purchases.

From my perspective, I saw more 2 & 3 gun purchases than ever before.

We even had one that was 15guns. I'll say it again. 15!

IVC
12-02-2012, 8:49 AM
We may not be able to keep and bear any arm ever made, but we sure do have a lot of the ones we can have. Am I right?

Technically you're right, but your implication that it's not too bad is wrong.

Just because we can have *some* arms, and *some* people can carry in *most* places doesn't mean we are close to the goal or that CA is compliant with the Constitution. We should be able to have *most* arms with *most* people carrying in *most* places as the minimum standard.

Sure there are countries that don't allow citizens to keep an bear arms, but we are not one of them.

IVC
12-02-2012, 8:52 AM
We even had one that was 15guns. I'll say it again. 15!

I thought F&F was cancelled... :)

FisterD
12-02-2012, 9:05 AM
I sold one gun that was DROS'd to the new owner and picked up another one on Black Friday, and there was already over 2,000 DROS registrations in California at 10:00 am.

SilverTauron
12-02-2012, 9:15 AM
This backs up something I've thought was the case for a long time-firearm ownership does not equate to political activism.

I convinced a friend of mine back in Illinois to buy his first gun. After shooting it and whatnot , his political outlook didn't change at all. The same thing happened with an ex I took to the range. She was anti-gun when we started shooting, and stayed that way when we left the line despite her having fun shooting.

Considering how many background checks were run nationwide in 2012, a lot of gun owners nationwide voted for Democrat representation in this last election.

Im not trying to turn this into a political sh-tfest, but I'm just making an observation that more gun owners doesn't necessarily mean more people who support the 2nd Amendment, it only means more people own guns .Heck in my own state I know a couple who I introduced to shooting that voted for Obama. Why? Because ultimately the firearm is just a tool to them, and they have more important fish to fry politically then gun rights.

IVC
12-02-2012, 9:41 AM
This backs up something I've thought was the case for a long time-firearm ownership does not equate to political activism.

You are on to something.

Put it in the context of "we need more revenue through taxes, as long as the taxes are raised on someone else" and you'll see the pattern. "We don't care about gun control because it is going to affect someone else" would be the typical line of thinking.

Even our esteemed Di-Fi used to carry because she was (legitimately) threatened. What is lost is that hers was one of only 3 (if I recall correctly) licenses issued in the whole county. Again, if she can get it when she needs it, it fits the pattern of "take it away, as long as it's from someone else."

Mesa Tactical
12-02-2012, 10:17 AM

This is obvious to anyone who has staffed the NRA booth at the the Crossroads of the West Show (as I have) and watched thousands of gun owners walk right by.

Based on discussions with the sampling of fellows who would actually stop by and talk to us, it was obvious the vast majority of those walking past us into the gun show were not NRA members.

Still, as CDFingers is trying to say in his snarky way, California remains by far the largest firearms market among the 50 states. This is down to a combination of population and relative wealth.

56Chevy
12-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Not enough. People need to buy more guns. We need more first time gun buyers in this state, LOTS more. Preferably buying handguns and EBR's :43:
I picked up a gun on Black Friday. Does that count?:oji:

geeknow
12-02-2012, 1:02 PM
Wasn't fast and furious...unless you are referring to the blistering pace we had to keep.

This was at an honest to goodness lgs, that was stuffed full of honest to goodness Americans exercising their 2A rights.

But thanks anyway.

;-)

Quiet
12-02-2012, 1:08 PM
:p

According to the FBI...

Total NICS checks 2011 (top five states):
1. Kentucky = 2,280,832
2. Texas = 1,155,387
3. Utah = 1,020,789
4. California = 905,701
5. Illinois = 828,962

Total NICS checks 01-2012 to 10-2012 (top five states):
1. Kentucky = 2,109,230
2. Texas = 1,046,355
3. California = 867,966
4. Illinois = 832,031
5. Pennslyvania = 735,464

stilly
12-02-2012, 1:14 PM
Wasn't fast and furious...unless you are referring to the blistering pace we had to keep.

This was at an honest to goodness lgs, that was stuffed full of honest to goodness Americans exercising their 2A rights.

But thanks anyway.

;-)

Sorry, I must have fogotten my /jk tag... ;) (but you know many ATF agents laughed at that one...)

IVC
12-02-2012, 1:21 PM
Kentucky population: just over 4M. California population: close to 38M.

Use numbers wisely when making a point.

SilverTauron
12-02-2012, 1:30 PM
You may be on to something.

In a nutshell I used to follow Neil Knox in the Shotgun news and in 2001 I had several AW that were never registered because I thought that it would not stand and they were gonna show up and take my toys once I did register them. Then something ELSE happened, and they showed up and called their friends and had a multiagency party at my house, or rather my folks' house and in my room. I lost 14 guns that day and I only got back 7 and I also got back all of my ar-15 40 round mags and 30 rounders and all of that. I was rather irritated and I let my nra membership expire because I was young and was pissed at what I had chose to follow. Then I because a member of Calguns later on. While at the show I stopped in to the calguns booth to say HI. I did not expect to see Chickenlypse (sp) but I shook his hand and acknowledged. I am happy with Calguns and what they are doing. I have actually SEEN a good deal of common sense and progress come out of this place. When I am standing in line at the gunshow, all I see from the NRA booth is, JOIN THE NRA AND GET IN FOR FREE! And that is about all. Why would I care to pay for a $40 membership when I can just spend the ripoff $15 to get in?

Anyways, after I get employed and done with taxes I plan to become a LIFE NRA member but you will still not find me stopping in to any NRA booth to say hi. NRA needs to do more for CA to see my support. Calguns has done a lot more and they should, they are local. NRA is nationwide. AND I DO appreciate their efforts but I LIVE in CA. :( Now I am depressed, okay, gotta go to the range.

The NRA's membership nationwide, large as it is, is only 10% of the estimated number of gun owners in America.

I submit that while its a good thing a lot of people are buying guns, we should take care not to assume that any of them will thus give a damn about the politics. While outright prohibition wouldn't be popular for obvious reasons,most of the gun owners in America don't care one way or the other about another AWB or a nationwide registry database, as long as their bolt guns or shotguns aren't banned .

mrdd
12-02-2012, 2:13 PM
Kentucky population: just over 4M. California population: close to 38M.

Use numbers wisely when making a point.

Yes, I was going to say that myself. Given a total population of almost 40M, probably 20M are eligible to own firearms. It is probably safe to say that for a single day, the number of DROSes approximates a number of individuals. So, we are talking about one-half of one-tenth of one percent of the eligible population.

geeknow
12-02-2012, 2:22 PM
Stilly,

You're probably right.

:-)

Best,

g

sully007
12-02-2012, 2:24 PM
Ca pop = 37.7 mil
10,000 / 37.7 mil = .0003%
Not sure how many were first time buyers.

Librarian
12-02-2012, 2:26 PM
Because ultimately the firearm is just a tool to them, and they have more important fish to fry politically then gun rights.

And, while we'd like for such people to flip and become active in the direction we prefer, that attitude is what we actually deserve - gun ownership should be no more controversial than shovel ownership.

It's reasonable, in the larger view, to focus on 'pocketbook' issues.

I can't find a web-accessible article I like to point to, but look at the phenomenon of voting and 'rational ignorance'.

baddos
12-02-2012, 2:51 PM
This is obvious to anyone who has staffed the NRA booth at the the Crossroads of the West Show (as I have) and watched thousands of gun owners walk right by.

Based on discussions with the sampling of fellows who would actually stop by and talk to us, it was obvious the vast majority of those walking past us into the gun show were not NRA members.

Still, as CDFingers is trying to say in his snarky way, California remains by far the largest firearms market among the 50 states. This is down to a combination of population and relative wealth.

I walked right passed you guys at Crossroads, but I'm a member. ;)

Also, NRA hasn't exactly done much to help California gun owners so I can see how non-members wouldn't care.

SilverTauron
12-02-2012, 3:17 PM
I walked right passed you guys at Crossroads, but I'm a member. ;)

Also, NRA hasn't exactly done much to help California gun owners so I can see how non-members wouldn't care.

Im curious what the NRA could possibly do to change California's current status. You guys collectively keep voting in morons like Feinstein and wonder why the NRA can't do anything about it. You guys gotta un-f**k yourselves first before someone else can help!

Librarian
12-02-2012, 3:21 PM
Im curious what the NRA could possibly do to change California's current status. You guys collectively keep voting in morons like Feinstein and wonder why the NRA can't do anything about it. You guys gotta un-f**k yourselves first before someone else can help!

'You guys' from out of state need to be a bit more precise than using 'you guys' to include the generic member of Calguns when referring to the California electorate.

SilverTauron
12-02-2012, 4:07 PM
'You guys' from out of state need to be a bit more precise than using 'you guys' to include the generic member of Calguns when referring to the California electorate.

Well,the members of Calguns who are CA residents in fact are a part of the California electorate, they're just not enough in number to make a tangible difference at the polls unfortunately.

Either way, that's quibbling. The NRA cannot help CA when the state's voters seek more gun control regulations.

Librarian
12-02-2012, 4:34 PM
Well,the members of Calguns who are CA residents in fact are a part of the California electorate, they're just not enough in number to make a tangible difference at the polls unfortunately.

Either way, that's quibbling. The NRA cannot help CA when the state's voters seek more gun control regulations.

Then what you mean to say is 'you guys who are, unfortunately, outnumbered by those other guys'.

Dropping in to a California site and carelessly 'bashing' is nekulturny.

SilverTauron
12-02-2012, 4:44 PM
Then what you mean to say is 'you guys who are, unfortunately, outnumbered by those other guys'.

Dropping in to a California site and carelessly 'bashing' is nekulturny.

I was bashing no one tovarisch.

It is fact the pro-gun voting block in California is out numbered at the polls,and the NRA can't do much so long as that's the case.

Librarian
12-02-2012, 5:23 PM
I was bashing no one tovarisch.
Sloppy use of language cannot be distinguished from bashing when the result is the same; as I requested in my first comment, please be more precise.
It is fact the pro-gun voting block in California is out numbered at the polls,and the NRA can't do much so long as that's the case.
No argument there.

Stewdabaker23
12-02-2012, 8:36 PM
On Saturday there were over 1300 dros forms done by noon time.

IVC
12-02-2012, 9:24 PM
The NRA cannot help CA when the state's voters seek more gun control regulations.

There is more than one way to skin the cat. NRA also supports litigation and education.