PDA

View Full Version : SW 1911 Tactical Rail pending DOJ approval? anyone know?

manta8888
08-01-2007, 10:39 PM
HI, spoke to a SW rep here in CA (Bass Pro opening) who said TACTICAL RAIL 1911 will never be approved in CA. (b/c SW doesn't want to do the application)

I called 2x today and got 2 different answers as usual.
one guy said, "oh yeh, it's in the process, maybe in 2-3 months it'll get approved"
the other guy kept saying to all my inquiries "I don't know what to say" repeatedly. Then he said "why don't you ask someone online?" when I finally pushed him to get someone who knows, he said "the book says ALL 1911s are approved in CA" which is wrong.

This is not my first experience with poorly informed SW CS reps regarding their product.

HOW do you find out if a gun is in process of being evaluated for approval? I have no confidence in the SW CS reps, they've been totally wrong in the previous inquiries i had earlier.
I cannot find "PENDING" guns being evaluated on the DOJ site.

any suggestions in founding out about TACTICAL RAIL 1911 SW

thanks

DRM6000
08-01-2007, 11:06 PM
tactical rail 1911? is that new or are you refering to the 1911pd with tactical rail models? those are approved and i have one in stainless.

Franksremote
08-01-2007, 11:39 PM
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

bwiese
08-01-2007, 11:52 PM
S&W reps don't always know what's what, esp in relation CA matters.

I spoke to a factory guy about a year ago who told me that if an S&W is gonna do other than a tiny production run (i.e, 500+) of a gun, it will be CA certified. They get lots of biz from CA, he tells me.

I'm pretty sure S&W wants to play in the 1911 market, and they'd be silly to not do this for the largest market in the country.

manta8888
08-02-2007, 7:06 AM
Yes, it's the PD and the standard 1911 WITH the tactical rail.

Online stores do NOT send them to CA "due to restrictions in your area"

what's the story on this?

could not find 'tactical rail" or model number on the DOJ, am I missing something?

tiki
08-02-2007, 7:20 AM
I called 2x today and got 2 different answers as usual. one guy said, "oh yeh, it's in the process, maybe in 2-3 months it'll get approved"
the other guy kept saying to all my inquiries "I don't know what to say" repeatedly. Then he said "why don't you ask someone online?" when I finally pushed him to get someone who knows, he said "the book says ALL 1911s are approved in CA" which is wrong.

This is not my first experience with poorly informed SW CS reps regarding their product.

Are you sure you didn't dial the DOJ by mistake?
:)

DRM6000
08-02-2007, 9:33 AM
hmm...i just looked at the list and it doesn't mention rails. i know i've seen them in at least two shops. i bought one new from a shop and i'm not leo, so they must be okay to sell.

the model number of mine is 103808 or 108303 (i can't remember exactly.)

Glock22Fan
08-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Yes, it's the PD and the standard 1911 WITH the tactical rail.

Online stores do NOT send them to CA "due to restrictions in your area"

what's the story on this?

could not find 'tactical rail" or model number on the DOJ, am I missing something?

I have a SW1911PD, with tactical rail, that someone I know (FFL) in O.C. ordered for me last August. No problems whatsoever (except that the plunger tube assembly came detached, but that's a different story). A great gun, nice and light (for a 1911) and shoots well.

manta8888
08-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Much thanks to all for your input.
I got some confusing information from the SW reps.
DOJ is no help, vague as usual.

Thanks for leting me know it's OK,

will try to purchase on on some online store that doesn't have any "restrictions" sending it here.

Yes, the SS, -803 or something model number.

Hope to see you at the Range!

bwiese
08-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Much thanks to all for your input.
I got some confusing information from the SW reps.
DOJ is no help, vague as usual.

Thanks for leting me know it's OK,

will try to purchase on on some online store that doesn't have any "restrictions" sending it here.

Before you do that, you better find an FFL that will ensure it is legal and be willing to transfer it to you and won't get in trouble.

If that doesn't happen you've ended up buying a gun that you can't receive in CA.