PDA

View Full Version : unfortunately this is yet another lube thread

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 4:55 PM
EDIT: title changed to more accurately reflect unfortunate state of thread

Folks,

I normally wouldn't post something like this, so apologies in advance if it finds you ill, or doesn't sit well with you. Not trying to stir up a hornets nest. Merely trying help out our community.

I've seen A LOT of lubrication threads on this forum since I joined. When I joined, I was mostly new to pistols. Not new however to rifles, machines, or lubricants.

Here's something I believe strongly:

"Gun branded lubricants and solvents are a cottage industry designed to make money off of people".

Greases, Oils, and Solvents aren't new. There have been very few measurable performance improvements in the formulations of this stuff since the 1950's (except to make some of them "environmentally friendly", i.e. in many cases does not work as well).

EDIT: Some Frog Lube fanatics have pointed out in the thread below how much they enjoy it's performance and properties. I applaud your success! FYI The formulation of these bio oils have not changed much, in a THOUSAND years. You can buy the same stuff that is Froglube, for less, just like the US military does. THIS IS NOT A FROGLUBE SPECIFIC THREAD. See post: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=9813619&postcount=70

We sent a space shuttle to the moon in the 1960's. We had squadrons of planes in the 1920's. We've had giant ships with huge engines for over 100 years. Do you honestly think your gun requires a higher tolerance lubricant than the engines of a WWII aircraft carrier?

Any high friction grease will do (bike grease for instance) when it comes to greasing your gun. When it comes to oil, synthetic motor oil (the kind you get a big container of for a few bucks) is pretty much the same thing as all the expensive synthetic gun oils you guys are using. Except that motor oil probably works as good or better, and is rated for higher temperatures, and lasts longer. Not to mention it is tested billions of times every single day in car engines. Edit for the Frog Fanatics: There are other soy/clove based oils as well, with similar properties as froglube (perhaps different scents), you can even buy the same stuff which has not been branded Froglube from the people that supply them (and the US military) with it. Again, this IS NOT a Froglube specific thread.

You can convince yourself that your EWG, CLP, Froglube, Slide Glide, EWL, blah blah wonder lubes on your pistol are worth the price if you want...

In reality though, they are made with either the same, or inferior formulas of stuff you can find in bulk at your average hardware/home supply stores. You are just paying more for the name and the label that says GUN OIL or GUN GREASE on it.

FAR more important than what whizbang brand of lube you guys are putting on your guns, is HOW and WHERE you are putting it on your gun, and HOW OFTEN, and HOW MUCH.

We really need to cut down on all of these silly lubrication VS. threads, and start getting some science/practical knowledge in here folks. High friction greases, oils, solvents, and other lubricants have been around for a long, long time. Stop wasting your cash!

:)

-Freq

p.s. I realize that I just created another lube thread :) Maybe this can be the last one ever? Pretty please? :) :)

vintagearms
11-28-2012, 5:01 PM
I do agree that we have way too many theads about this but....CLP does inhibit rust much better than your average grease and oil. Not saying its the best though.

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

dingle_berry
11-28-2012, 5:03 PM
...but if I stop buying $10 cleaner and $10 gun oil how will I ever convince everyone that I'm a real gun owner? ;-)

ChaneRZ
11-28-2012, 5:03 PM
I use his and hers lube.

steelciocc
11-28-2012, 5:04 PM
Well said OP...

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 5:06 PM
I do agree that we have way too many theads about this but....CLP does inhibit rust much better than your average grease and oil. Not saying its the best though.

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Sure, CLP works. But it's very similar to WD40, only it doesn't clean as well and it doesn't protect as long. Oh and it's about 4x the price.

My point was, these families of lubes like Oil, Grease, Solvents have been around a long long time. No need to pay through the nose for gun specific ones, or post threads on XXX vs. YYY.

-Freq

daybreak
11-28-2012, 5:07 PM
I agree. Lube is lube. It's not going to make you a better shooter and they all do the job fine as far as lubrication.

But ... I'm sticking to frog lube as a CLP. Don't have to worry about it getting on my skin, cleans well, smells good, and stays on the gun and makes it a lot easier to clean too. I love this stuff.

Before from lube I was using Mobil 1 synthetic. Worked great. Was stanky, and was harder to clean compared to a gun lubed with frog lube.

savannah
11-28-2012, 5:10 PM
I agree. Lube is lube. It's not going to make you a better shooter and they all do the job fine as far as lubrication.

But ... I'm sticking to frog lube as a CLP. Don't have to worry about it getting on my skin, cleans well, smells good, and stays on the gun and makes it a lot easier to clean too. I love this stuff.

Before from lube I was using Mobil 1 synthetic. Worked great. Was stanky, and was harder to clean compared to a gun lubed with frog lube.

+1.

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 5:15 PM

Ever try WD-40? It's pretty much the ultimate CLP, and has been since the 1950's. That's why NASA uses it instead of Froglube.

-Freq

supermanuf
11-28-2012, 5:17 PM
OP: There's new gun owners every day, and our community here grows every day. We are here to offer help and advice, and seek it from time to time as well. As long as there's new gun owners, there will always be questions about aspects of maintenance--one of which is how and with what does one clean and lube his or her firearm. Your opinion that "they're all the same" is a valued one, but to ask people to stop asking questions about it is a little high and mighty.

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 5:21 PM
OP: There's new gun owners every day, and our community here grows every day. We are here to offer help and advice, and seek it from time to time as well. As long as there's new gun owners, there will always be questions about aspects of maintenance--one of which is how and with what does one clean and lube his or her firearm. Your opinion that "they're all the same" is a valued one, but to ask people to stop asking questions about it is a little high and mighty.

I don't think people should stop seeking knowledge on how to lubricate their firearms. I just don't think we need any more inane vs. threads on overpriced lubricants that are inferior to cheaper, more readily available ones.

Maybe we need a sticky? You can make one for us!

I'm pretty sure the point of my post (if you read it) was to educate. I also started off the post with an apology...not sure where you are getting high and mighty from.

If you can think of a better way to convey my thoughts for me, by all means post away!

-Freq

ptroxx
11-28-2012, 5:24 PM
Folks,

I normally wouldn't post something like this, so apologies in advance if it finds you ill, or doesn't sit well with you. Not trying to stir up a hornets nest. Merely trying help out our community.

I've seen A LOT of lubrication threads on this forum since I joined. When I joined, I was mostly new to pistols. Not new however to rifles, machines, or lubricants.

"Gun branded lubricants and solvents is a cottage industry designed to make money off of people".

Greases, Oils, and Solvents aren't new. There have been very few measurable performance improvements in the formulations of this stuff since the 1950's (except to make some of them "environmentally friendly", i.e. does not work well). We sent a space shuttle to the moon in the 1960's. We had squadrons of planes in the 1920's. We've had giant ships with huge engines for over 100 years. Do you honestly think your gun requires a higher tolerance lubricant than the engines of a WWII aircraft carrier?

Any high friction grease will do (bike grease for instance) when it comes to greasing your gun. When it comes to oil, synthetic motor oil (the kind you get a big container of for a few bucks) is pretty much the same thing as all the expensive synthetic gun oils you guys are using. Except motor oil is better, and rated for higher temperatures, and lasts longer.

You can convince yourself that your EWG, CLP, Froglube, Slide Glide, EWL, blah blah wonder lubes on your pistol are worth the price if you want...

In reality though, they are made with the same formulas of stuff you can find in bulk at your average hardware/home supply stores. You are just paying more for the name and the label that says GUN OIL or GUN GREASE on it.

FAR more important than what whizbang brand of lube you guys are putting on your guns, is HOW and WHERE you are putting it on your gun, and HOW OFTEN, and HOW MUCH.

We really need to cut down on all of these silly lubrication VS. threads, and start getting some science/practical knowledge in here folks. High friction greases, oils, and lubricants have been around for a long, long time. Stop wasting your cash!

-Freq

p.s. I realize that I just created another lube thread :) Maybe this can be the last one ever? Pretty please? :) :)

So instead for complaining why didnt you do some of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I Just got some FrogLube in the mail today and cant wait to use it..
And I can use it in the house its biobased and its made in the USA and costs just about what some mobile 1 syn costs. so please get off the high horse.
Thats what these forums are for..

jben
11-28-2012, 5:25 PM
+1 OP.
I still have a portion a a bottle of whale based oil I snagged from my dad's garage many, many years ago. I'll let you guess how old that oil is.
It is a fantastic lubricant for my guns.

air0n'03
11-28-2012, 5:29 PM
Agreed... But for some reason I love Frog Lube. Maybe its the smell lol.

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 5:32 PM
So instead for complaining why didnt you do some of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I Just got some FrogLube in the mail today and cant wait to use it..
And I can use it in the house its biobased and its made in the USA and costs just about what some mobile 1 syn costs. so please get off the high horse.
Thats what these forums are for..

No high horse.

If you want to justify your purchase, that's fine.

For the record: 4oz of Froglube at Brownells = around 18 bucks. 32 OZ of mobile 1, 7 bucks at your local auto parts store.

Wasn't trying to make you feel bad about your lubrication purchase. I was attempting to do exactly what you ^^^^^ asked me to do.

If you have a better way to convey it, by all means do so.

-Freq

reckoner
11-28-2012, 5:39 PM
+1 OP

Now we can get back to some serious vs. threads.

What's the best caliber, 9mm or .40 or .45? :p

jben
11-28-2012, 5:43 PM
+1 OP

Now we can get back to some serious vs. threads.

What's the best caliber, 9mm or .40 or .45? :p

That's easy. You KNOW 10 mm will knock a bad guy out of his shoes!:cool:

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 6:21 PM
http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq184/freq18hz/E5089641-0A9C-4389-9A67-988619938205-2230-000002BCEFCB3737.jpg

^^^ = > 10mm, .45, does not require Froglube, CLP, EWL, etc.

Do with that what you will. :)

:tank:

-Freq

jvpark
11-28-2012, 6:38 PM
+1 for Frog Lube...lol

MalC
11-28-2012, 6:39 PM
I HATE getting those petroleum-based oils/greases all over my hands, all over the workbench, on my clothes, etc... I'd rather not have to worry about the smell lingering on me all day long and washing my hands 4 times before preparing food. That's why I use Frog Lube now (I'm a recent convert). Even if it only works AS well as some of the cheaper/older oils it's worth the cost just for the smell (and the peace of mind of not having to worry about children or pets trying to lick it up off the floor :eek:). Ditto for using it to replace hoppes and break-free CLP... I prefer not getting headaches from cleaning/lubing my firearms so it's worth it to me.

daybreak
11-28-2012, 6:41 PM
Ever try WD-40? It's pretty much the ultimate CLP, and has been since the 1950's. That's why NASA uses it instead of Froglube.

-Freq

WD-40 is too thin for lube and smells terrible, not great for cleaning in my small apartment. Have you used frog lube? I like it a lot.

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 6:53 PM
WD-40 is too thin for lube and smells terrible, not great for cleaning in my small apartment. Have you used frog lube? I like it a lot.

Only for cooking. Far superior to olive oil for pasta lubricity.

Yea I've used it, it does a decent job for what it is. Agree about the WD-40 smell in comparison. I actually think WD-40 is a better cleaner/protector than a straight lube, but thats another subject.

I wear gloves when I clean firearms. Gunpowder and lead is a lot more toxic than your average oil/solvent. WD-40 lubricates, cleans, and protects more effectively (for me) than frog lube and many others.

Don't believe me? Take a couple of cheap carbon steel knives. Put frog lube on one, WD-40 on the other. Let sit for 3 months outside. Report back.

Did you know the Japanese have been using bio oils to protect carbon steel swords and knives for thousands of years?

-Freq

Red Devil
11-28-2012, 7:03 PM

-Freq

Ahhh... No.

"WD" stands for Water Dispersal... not all that great as a lube or Protector.

3-in-1 is far superior, but I also use CLP because it has a little Teflon in it.

Can't beat Walmart's Marine Grease though. Outstanding product and only $5 bucks.

MalC
11-28-2012, 7:05 PM
To me, it's worth the money so that I can clean/lube my firearms indoors while watching TV and not stink up the house for a day (read: not get yelled at by every female in the house). It's also nice to not worry about using gloves or getting it on my skin, on the dog, etc

I'm 100% with you on everything else... why pay for those pricey greases/oils if they do the same job as mobil 1 or cheap marine grease... but I feel that Frog Lube is an exception based on the convenience it's smell affords.

wsmc27
11-28-2012, 7:09 PM
:::happy my new bottle of FrogLube showed up today:::

:D

Capybara
11-28-2012, 7:15 PM
Simple. If I don't clean w Froglube, I am relegated to gun cleaning in my poorly lit, overcrowded garage. With Froglube, can clean in living room with no complaints from wife. Easily worth every penny.

Horton Fenty
11-28-2012, 7:28 PM
We really need to cut down on all of these silly lubrication VS. threads, and start getting some science/practical knowledge in here folks.

Science? Now that would just make too much sense.

xrHZL1Of07U
-zte52hUHwA
WdYWQfbC5Og

daybreak
11-28-2012, 7:31 PM
Only for cooking. Far superior to olive oil for pasta lubricity.

Yea I've used it, it does a decent job for what it is.

I wear gloves when I clean firearms. WD-40 lubricates, cleans, and protects better than frog lube and many others.

Don't believe me? Take a couple of cheap carbon steel knives. Put frog lube on one, WD-40 on the other. Let sit for 3 months. Report back.

Did you know the Japanese have been using bio oils to protect carbon steel swords and knives for thousands of years?

-Freq

All my carbon steel knives get olive oil. Name brand if I'm balling out of control.

Rorge Retson
11-28-2012, 8:09 PM
OP, you're being kind of a jerk. Well, more than kinda.

Some people are sensitive to chemicals (some hyper-sensitive) due to overexposure sometime in their past. They cannot use anything that has a chemical smell, so WD-40 and even motor oil is out for them.

Your way is not the only way, despite what you obviously think. You may have something of value to say here, but your delivery leaves a lot to be desired.

uhlan1
11-28-2012, 8:19 PM
Folks,

"Gun branded lubricants and solvents are a cottage industry designed to make money off of people".

Greases, Oils, and Solvents aren't new. There have been very few measurable performance improvements in the formulations of this stuff since the 1950's (except to make some of them "environmentally friendly", i.e. does not work well). We sent a space shuttle to the moon in the 1960's. We had squadrons of planes in the 1920's. We've had giant ships with huge engines for over 100 years. Do you honestly think your gun requires a higher tolerance lubricant than the engines of a WWII aircraft carrier?

Any high friction grease will do (bike grease for instance) when it comes to greasing your gun. When it comes to oil, synthetic motor oil (the kind you get a big container of for a few bucks) is pretty much the same thing as all the expensive synthetic gun oils you guys are using. Except that motor oil probably works as good or better, and is rated for higher temperatures, and lasts longer. Not to mention it is tested billions of times every single day in car engines.

In reality though, they are made with either the same, or inferior formulas of stuff you can find in bulk at your average hardware/home supply stores. You are just paying more for the name and the label that says GUN OIL or GUN GREASE on it.

We really need to cut down on all of these silly lubrication VS. threads, and start getting some science/practical knowledge in here folks. High friction greases, oils, and lubricants have been around for a long, long time. Stop wasting your cash!

-Freq

What grease do you use or recommend?

TempleKnight
11-28-2012, 8:38 PM
No high horse.

For the record: 4oz of Froglube at Brownells = around 18 bucks. 32 OZ of mobile 1, 7 bucks at your local auto parts store.

Wasn't trying to make you feel bad about your lubrication purchase. I was attempting to do exactly what you ^^^^^ asked me to do.

-Freq

I was with you until you suggested Mobil 1. Sure, it's a good lube but it migrates BADLY. If you use on AR bolt it will on the outside of your AR by morning. A little Frog lube goes a long way.

Mr310
11-28-2012, 8:51 PM
For me, it's one of tradition. I don't see myself ever changing from Hoppes and Birchwood Casey gun oil.

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 9:57 PM
OP, you're being kind of a jerk. Well, more than kinda.

Some people are sensitive to chemicals (some hyper-sensitive) due to overexposure sometime in their past. They cannot use anything that has a chemical smell, so WD-40 and even motor oil is out for them.

Your way is not the only way, despite what you obviously think. You may have something of value to say here, but your delivery leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm pretty sure I said what I had to say as delicately as I could. Feel free to paraphrase for me if you are feeling sensitive.

-Freq

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 10:10 PM
What grease do you use or recommend?

Any fluoropolymer grease (usually with Teflon in it). It gets branded for various things (bikes, car bearings etc.). Pretty sure it's all made by Dupont anyway. Going rate is usually anywhere from $40-$60 for a 4lb tub of it. Would likely last the average shooter their whole lives; a little goes a long way.

-Freq

ptroxx
11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
sorry but the frog lube is cheaper that your mobil 1

FrogLube 4 oz Paste Lubricant | Bio-Based Firearm Cleaner price: $8.95
Mobil/1 qt. SAE 10W-30 full synthetic motor oil Price:$8.99
I dont feel bad about my purchase at all, and it looks like many other people are happy with it,,, no rubber gloves required to apply, smells great can clean guns in front of my tv, the misses doesnt get upset because of the smell,. its safe around kids and pets. I can go on and on... made in the good ol USA.
you can stick with youor stinky oil just dont spill it all over the place cause it will stain everything..

Good thing you didnt want another lube vs lube thread... guess you got one..

No high horse.

-Freq

OliveDrab
11-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Just remember, you weren't made without lube.

On a more serious note. I agree with the OP. many gun lubes are very similar to standard auto lubes.

I just got my first 1911 and wanted to treat it right. I got some slide glide. When I got it reminded me of my Mobil 1 red grease. Color texture viscosity ect.

Lets set aside people who are sensitive to chemicals or are cleaning outside.

Lube is lube

CAGLS
11-28-2012, 10:38 PM
The properties I looked for when choosing products to lube my weapons are first to have the most anti-corrosion, rust protection, element barrier against moisture and corrosive elements in ammunition. Also for grease the ability remain in the area lubed which Slide Glide Lite seems to do a good job of. Second would be to negate slide rail wear from the action, metal to metal wear throughout the pistol and last to aid in friction drag in the large and small mechanical moving parts in the gun.

I have found these tests performed:

Corrosion Protection Products
How to Keep Your Rifle Rust-Free in Storage (http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html)
http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/i//Test2_43hoursWEB500.jpg

Rust Preventatives for firearms (http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html)

Flork's Lubrication Recommendation from Sigforum.com (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/908103701) article also shown in Grayguns.com, Bruce Gray a master gun smith specializing in Sig Sauer firearms.

I have also tried a sample of Newt Livesay's anti corrosion weapon protection (http://newtlivesayknives.com/PAGE_ANTI-CORROSION%20LUBE.htm) in which he also performs tests shown on his website. He says he supplies a friend that frequents gun shows with a display of a steel gun coated with his product and submerged in a fish tank full of water showing no signs of rust. He sent it to me in what looks to be black speaker box carpet soaked in his product in zip lock bags. Once it dry it provides the same protection.

I've narrowed it down to these products. For now I've been using Slide Glide Lite just on the rails. When I clean I use Hoppes solvent 9. To lubricate, besides using grease on the slide, all mtm contact, I use Eezox which seems to do the best in these tests against rust and corrosion along with friction drag.

I probably could get away with replacing Slide Glide Lite with Mobile 1 synthetic grease which looks and seems the same consistency of SGL. To apply the grease I use these packed it in a Monoject irrigation curved tip syringe used for dental gum irrigation you can buy on Ebay for a couple bucks. They're perfect to lube slide rails very easy to do with the curved tip and it won't scratch any metal as opposed to a blunt metal needle. I keep one in a zip lock back when I go to the range and one on my work bench.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/caliSTi/48fe20bd.jpg

I use gloves to clean and when I tried using CLP breakfree it would leave a white cloudy residue on everything and also burn and dissolve through the vinyl gloves I use while not really removing the gun powder residue that well. So for me Hoppes solvent 9 does a better job. Then I take a rem oil wipes and coat the entire pistol.

I understand the op's rant against using firearm specific lubes or greases due to some marketing claims against real world proven products, but you are ensuring reliability and longevity of your firearms which many spend a great deal of money on and rely on them to bang when they need to.

Mr310
11-28-2012, 10:44 PM

I dont feel bad about my purchase at all, and it looks like many other people are happy with it,,, no rubber gloves required to apply, smells great can clean guns in front of my tv, the misses doesnt get upset because of the smell,. its safe around kids and pets. I can go on and on... made in the good ol USA.
you can stick with youor stinky oil just dont spill it all over the place cause it will stain everything..

Might want to check your math there. ;)

FWIW, I don't think the OP is being a jerk at all. In fact, I see it as a constructive service. I do think that motor oil is far more difficult to work cleanly with than my gun oil, though.

ptroxx
11-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Might want to check your math there. ;)

FWIW, I don't think the OP is being a jerk at all. In fact, I see it as a constructive service. I do think that motor oil is far more difficult to work cleanly with than my gun oil, though.

actually you may want to check yours..

mobil 1 8.99
fl 8.95

.04 cents cheaper by my math...

myk
11-28-2012, 10:48 PM
I use Hoppe's products, because that's the brand that's featured in Sons of Anarchy...

FLAWLS1
11-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Mobil 1 sucks! I'll use Redline instead. No, but seriously I read in the past about how motor oil isn't good for the guns finish. Something about petroleum, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Mr310
11-28-2012, 10:50 PM

mobil 1 8.99
fl 8.95

Yes, 4 cents cheaper for 1/8 the amount. 32 oz. to a qt.

myk
11-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Mobil 1 sucks! I'll use Redline instead. No, but seriously I read in the past about how motor oil isn't good for the guns finish. Something about petroleum, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Yeah, keep the Mobil 1 in the LS1, lol...

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 10:53 PM

1 QT = 32oz

Mobile 1 32oz = $8.99
Froglube 32oz = $70.60

I suppose we did end up with another VS. thread, and we always will as long as there are forum members like you that turn them into one in order to justify their own purchases.

Then again, if I was paying an extra 60+ bucks for oil, I'd probably be a little sensitive too. :)

In all seriousness though: This thread was never specifically about Froglube. It was used as an example, along with many other lubes that get discussed here.

If you want to spend money on a lube that smells pleasant to you, no one is going to stop you. You don't need to come in and crap on a thread though, that is pointing out the fact that you are paying 7x the price for it, when there are many other alternatives that have been around a long time that offer similar or better performance.

-Freq

ptroxx
11-28-2012, 10:58 PM
x76MEfxpP50

FLAWLS1
11-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Haha, I haven't ran Mobil 1 in any of my LS1's for YEARS!

ptroxx
11-28-2012, 11:00 PM

Actually I keep my mobile 1 in my LS2... LOL

FLAWLS1
11-28-2012, 11:08 PM

That's not good. LOL! Try Redline and I'm sure you'll like it more than Mobil 1

ptroxx
11-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Sure you can blame me for this. why not..
Not sensitive at all. Id rather pay a little more and know im using a great product on my guns.
Im not crapping on a thread im discussing my side of it.. hey you started it.
If you didnt want a lube vs lube thread then you should have just went about your business with your mobil one and been happy. But now someone comes and says that they use something else and are happy with it, thats crapping on a thread. well so be it.
I have used many things for lube(hopps,Birchwood,and a few others) in my short time of gun ownership and so far this one seems like its going to be the winner.. I never said anything bad about the mobil 1, jus tthat I wouldnt use a car oil on my guns... Id rather keep my car oil in my car and gun lube on my guns.

1 QT = 32oz

Mobile 1 32oz = $8.99
Froglube 32oz = $70.60

I suppose we did end up with another VS. thread, and we always will as long as there are forum members like you that turn them into one in order to justify their own purchases.

Then again, if I was paying an extra 60+ bucks for oil, I'd probably be a little sensitive too. :)

In all seriousness though: This thread was never specifically about Froglube. It was used as an example, along with many other lubes that get discussed here.

If you want to spend money on a lube that smells pleasant to you, no one is going to stop you. You don't need to come in and crap on a thread though, that is pointing out the fact that you are paying 7x the price for it, when there are many other alternatives that have been around a long time that offer similar or better performance.

-Freq

ptroxx
11-28-2012, 11:12 PM
That's not good. LOL! Try Redline and I'm sure you'll like it more than Mobil 1

I Would use amsol before redline...LOL Oh no here we go again..

IS theat a twin turbo v6 GN in your avatar..

myk
11-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Haha, I haven't ran Mobil 1 in any of my LS1's for YEARS!

Me and my big mouth! Pennzoil Platinum FTW!!!!!1111

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Ahhh... No.

"WD" stands for Water Dispersal... not all that great as a lube or Protector.

3-in-1 is far superior, but I also use CLP because it has a little Teflon in it.

Can't beat Walmart's Marine Grease though. Outstanding product and only $5 bucks.

I hate to state the obvious, but what do you think causes rust (oxidation)...the thing that Protector's protect against?

From wikipedia:
The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture.[4] This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus penetrate crevices.

= protectorate.

-Freq

Rorge Retson
11-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Hark - I've discovered the Unsubscribe function!! :cool:

FLAWLS1
11-28-2012, 11:32 PM
I Would use amsol before redline...LOL Oh no here we go again..
Good choice!
Me and my big mouth! Pennzoil Platinum FTW!!!!!1111

HAHA, how could I forget!! I just bought 2 jugs of this Platinum at Walmart. VERY GOOD STUFF especially for the price.

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Sure you can blame me for this. why not..
Not sensitive at all. Id rather pay a little more and know im using a great product on my guns.
Im not crapping on a thread im discussing my side of it.. hey you started it.
If you didnt want a lube vs lube thread then you should have just went about your business with your mobil one and been happy. But now someone comes and says that they use something else and are happy with it, thats crapping on a thread. well so be it.
I have used many things for lube(hopps,Birchwood,and a few others) in my short time of gun ownership and so far this one seems like its going to be the winner.. I never said anything bad about the mobil 1, jus tthat I wouldnt use a car oil on my guns... Id rather keep my car oil in my car and gun lube on my guns.

I think you missed the point entirely. In fact, it is you that should have just gone about your business while using your 8x the price of other lube "froglube" and not posted in this thread. Instead you decided to show up, and turn it into your froglube vs everything else...an effect not desired which I thought I had made pretty clear in my original post. Thanks for the subversion!

FYI I'm not telling everyone to run out and necessarily use mobile 1, synthetic motor oil, or any other specific grease/oil/protectorate that has been around for 50 years or more. Im telling you that you can, and you will get the same or better lubricity/cleaning/protectorate results (olfactory considerations notwithstanding) than the gun specific branded stuff you guys are paying through the nose for (pun intended).

Why? Because it's THE SAME STUFF!

There are multitudes of solutions out there. If you are hell bent on using stuff that has been around forever/or in other products, and/or paying more for the re-branded gun version, go for it!

For you Froglube fantatics out there ----> Here's the kind of place where froglube, as well as most other bio lubes, for bikes (like phil wood) and every other imaginable application come from:
http://www.unitedbiolube.us/

EDIT: it may be that Audemous Inc. manufactures oil for their subsidiary Froglube, please see post #70 details.

/Thread

-Freq

Xingu
11-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Ballistol, Froglube, yada, yada whatever. Just no WD on my firearm. It gets gummy and gummy ain't no good. I use WD-40 for general purpose cleaning of things though.

Yerman
11-29-2012, 12:13 AM

mobil 1 8.99
fl 8.95

How is 1 quart equivalent to 4 oz? :shrug:

Renaissance Redneck
11-29-2012, 6:36 AM
I'd rather not have to worry about the smell lingering on me all day long and washing my hands 4 times before preparing food. That's why I use Frog Lube now.

^^^ Ditto.

I use Frog Lube mainly because it's the only CLP I've found that my wife will tolerate in the house. I get to clean my guns in my recliner in front of a football game! I could never do that with Hoppe's. Hell, I even can clean my guns IN BED without my wife kicking me out!!!

(Jean-Claude on the tube).
http://i48.tinypic.com/34hyioi.jpg

Capybara
11-29-2012, 6:49 AM
^^^ Ditto.

I use Frog Lube mainly because it's the only CLP I've found that my wife will tolerate in the house. I get to clean my guns in my recliner in front of a football game! I could never do that with Hoppe's. Hell, I even can clean my guns IN BED without my wife kicking me out!!!

(Jean-Claude on the tube).
http://i48.tinypic.com/34hyioi.jpg

Amen! Marital bliss supersedes any and all gun lubricant properties. Wife and son like the smell, I get to clean indoors while watching the idiot box, all is good. Definitely worth the 8X price to me. :43:

Horton Fenty
11-29-2012, 6:57 AM
Folks,

Any high friction grease will do (bike grease for instance) when it comes to greasing your gun. When it comes to oil, synthetic motor oil (the kind you get a big container of for a few bucks) is pretty much the same thing as all the expensive synthetic gun oils you guys are using. Except that motor oil probably works as good or better, and is rated for higher temperatures, and lasts longer. Not to mention it is tested billions of times every single day in car engines.

We really need to cut down on all of these silly lubrication VS. threads, and start getting some science/practical knowledge in here folks. High friction greases, oils, solvents, and other lubricants have been around for a long, long time. Stop wasting your cash!

-Freq

I'll go ahead and get my flame retardant panties on now.

Your not doing anyone a service by telling them gun branded cleaning products are a waste of money. They are not. If they truly were a waste then no one would buy them, or use them, and they would disappear.

Motor oil is designed to go in your car, gun oil is designed to go in your gun. Your idea that what's good enough for your car is good enough, or even great, for you gun is flawed. Sure they are are oil, but automotive oils cover a huge range of viscosity and additive levels to suit dozens of different applications. Gun oils on the other hand are not very dissimilar to each other. With each case you will get better results by using products intended for their specific application.

You can't discount the positive attributes of modern environmentally friendly products either. They smell good and they will not harm you or your guns. Besides that they also work, and in some cases work a whole lot better than any traditional product.

Freq18Hz
11-29-2012, 7:26 AM
I'll go ahead and get my flame retardant panties on now.

Your not doing anyone a service by telling them gun branded cleaning products are a waste of money. They are not. If they truly were a waste then no one would buy them, or use them, and they would disappear.

Motor oil is designed to go in your car, gun oil is designed to go in your gun. Your idea that what's good enough for your car is good enough, or even great, for you gun is flawed. Sure they are are oil, but automotive oils cover a huge range of viscosity and additive levels to suit dozens of different applications. Gun oils on the other hand are not very dissimilar to each other. With each case you will get better results by using products intended for their specific application.

You can't discount the positive attributes of modern environmentally friendly products either. They smell good and they will not harm you or your guns. Besides that they also work, and in some cases work a whole lot better than any traditional product.

So let me get this straight: Your argument is that because people buy them, they are good/not a waste of money?

I never discounted environmentally friendly products. They aren't new. Clove/Soy based oils have been around for a thousand years. You can buy the same formulations of the stuff (environmentally friendly or not) that you put on your gun, elsewhere for cheaper.

This is not a Froglube thread. I understand your olfactory sensitivity. We can all agree, wives don't like Hoppes etc. in the living room.

Again, Froglube was not the point of the thread. I even provided you Frog Fanatic folks with a link to buy the same stuff, for less. Please re-read what I posted. Thanks.

Some people don't like to hear a different viewpoint. I'm pretty sure I went above and beyond to be gentle, even started the thread with an apology. If folks who can't add, or provide anything useful besides "I LOVE FROG LUBE" want to pollute the thread, have at it.

I'm done here. If you guys want to pay through the nose for re-branded gun stuff, that's your prerogative.

-Freq

USMC 82-86
11-29-2012, 7:28 AM
I'll stick with the Frog lube. It does cost more than some others. The smell in the house is better and it is okay on the skin. I bought a kit about 6 months ago and still have plenty left for cleaning. I found after the initial treatment as recommended per directions from frog lube my cleaning was much easier and took a lot less time. I can almost just take a patch down the barrel and done, cleaning the rest of the gun is pretty much the same thing wipe it clean. I apply very little after cleaning and it has been great.

pc_load_letter
11-29-2012, 7:39 AM
F-ing hilarious that the OP's thread on lube tit for tat'ing has turned into exactly that, a lube tit for tat thread!!

Classic Calguns! :)

Horton Fenty
11-29-2012, 8:00 AM
So let me get this straight: Your argument is that because people buy them, they are good/not a waste of money?

I never discounted environmentally friendly products. They aren't new. Clove/Soy based oils have been around for a thousand years. You can buy the same formulations of the stuff (environmentally friendly or not) that you put on your gun, elsewhere for cheaper.

This is not a Froglube thread. I understand your olfactory sensitivity. We can all agree, wives don't like Hoppes etc. in the living room.

Again, Froglube was not the point of the thread. I even provided you Frog Fanatic folks with a link to buy the same stuff, for less. Please re-read what I posted. Thanks.

Some people don't like to hear a different viewpoint. I'm pretty sure I went above and beyond to be gentle, even started the thread with an apology. If folks who can't add, or provide anything useful besides "I LOVE FROG LUBE" want to pollute the thread, have at it.

I'm done here. If you guys want to pay through the nose for re-branded gun stuff, that's your prerogative.

-Freq

Honestly you should re-read my post. I don't use Froglube, and never have. I have no problem with olfactory sensitivity, quite the opposite in fact. No, I didn't say because people buy gun specific product they are good. I said if they were a complete waste people wouldn't buy them.

Fact is, contrary to what your saying, in my experience gun specific cleaning/lubing products work better than automotive products to clean and lube your guns. For the record here's what I use. RotellaT 30W in my aircooled, Motorcraft 5W30 in my Jeep, and Rig #2 in my guns.

Just like the thread about wet shaving gun cleaning/lube threads just boil down to what works for you. That's all that counts really.

Ninety
11-29-2012, 8:09 AM
http://www.learchem.com/products/acf-50.html

A neighbor of mine gave me some of this a little while back.. similar to wd 40 .. a little better IMO and it smells a lot nicer.. kind of sweet.. I would love some feedback on what you guys think about it.. they also have some other items on that page.. grease and what not.

bigdawg86
11-29-2012, 8:15 AM
When a little bit of spit doesn't get the job done...

I use whatever in reach. WD40, a bottle of machine oil that's older than me, after run oil from my nitro RC engines, whatever... I clean my guns just about after every range trip so I don't need a fancy looking bottle.

the86d
11-29-2012, 8:22 AM
x76MEfxpP50

Frog Lube: USDA approved it, huh...
I don't think I want to eat plant based lube-material, as everyone knows meat eaters have bigger brains and protein is brain food (Discovery channels said that we have bigger brains because of meat eating ancestors, and this explains vegetarian-liberal-logic, and vegetarian-liberal-crazy-rage). :)

Maybe I'll grab some, IF it is available locally, but I am not dropping CLP just yet...

ptroxx
11-29-2012, 8:28 AM
most local gun stores have it.... I love the bigger brain analogy LOL
They have said the Marines used it for lip balm too..lol
Also if you notice in the pic...right under the froglube...CLP...
So you wont have to get ride of it...
http://www.shadez-of-gray.com/product_images/uploaded_images/frog-lube-review.jpg
Frog Lube: USDA approved it, huh...
I don't think I want to eat plant based lube-material, as everyone knows meat eaters have bigger brains and protein is brain food (Discovery channels said that we have bigger brains because of meat eating ancestors, and this explains vegetarian-liberal-logic, and vegetarian-liberal-crazy-rage). :)

Maybe I'll grab some, IF it is available locally, but I am not dropping CLP just yet...

gorenut
11-29-2012, 8:28 AM
I agree that there are always new shooters seeking help and on top of that, people are free to talk about what they feel like. Yea, it can get tiresome seeing the same threads pop up over and over for those of us who have been here for a while.. but it takes half a second to ignore them. I for the most part agree with you OP, but I think this thread would have been a lot more helpful if you posted a compiled list of the cheaper unbranded alternatives.

Freq18Hz
11-29-2012, 8:36 AM
I agree that there are always new shooters seeking help and on top of that, people are free to talk about what they feel like. Yea, it can get tiresome seeing the same threads pop up over and over for those of us who have been here for a while.. but it takes half a second to ignore them. I for the most part agree with you OP, but I think this thread would have been a lot more helpful if you posted a compiled list of the cheaper unbranded alternatives.

Good insight, and you are probably right there. My hope was that people would take it upon themselves to figure out what they were actually putting on their guns, and ask themselves why they are paying grossly inflated prices for it.

For Frog Lube users:

Froglube, and other bio-oils are based on other natural oils that people have been using for a long long time. As I understand it, the history of froglube started when the US military began searching for a better alternative for arctic warfare lubrication. Special operations groups that fly around the world probably didn't want to have to worry about if their weapons were going to function properly moving between hot/cold environments. This coupled with eco friendly/EPA mandated directives from congress/whitehouse resulted in the birth of Froglube.

It would seem that this entire bio lubricant push is a result of Executive Order 13423 "Strengthening Federal Environmental, Energy, and Transportation Management" and others.

What does this mean? This means that many companies are competing to fulfill contracts to meet or exceed the specifications that are the result of such legislation/orders. These specifications appear to be extremely specific.
See: http://www.biofirearmlubes.com/
p.s. On a side note, I find it odd that a bunch of the links that lead to .gov sites from both united bio lube and froglube's/audemous inc.'s websites are dead. EPA/conspiracy theorists calm yourselves! :)

From Froglube's website:
FrogLube is a revolutionary bio-based gun cleaner, lubricant and preservative (CLP) product made from food-grade ingredients all obtained exclusively from US suppliers. It is a new “green” product developed for government use by San Diego-based Audemous, Inc, a company that evaluates products in the emerging environmental, safety and health sector.

What does ^^^^ mean? This probably means that these "US suppliers" sell to companies like Froglube, who re-brand it. This would be no different than when dupont, 3m, crucible steel, etc. re-sell their products. This is how the entire OEM industry works. This may not be the case with Froglube, if the parent company Audemous Inc. in fact is the OEM of the oil, which may be the case. It's unclear to me if Audemous manufactures oil, or buys it from companies like
http://www.unitedbiolube.us/
http://www.renewablelube.com/

It would seem that regardless, these lubricants are being manufactured by more than one company to meet specific government specifications, and must satisfy specific milspec tests before they are used by the US Military.

As I understand it, Froglube changed their formula midstream. I've heard two conflicting things (both could be FUD) that they switched suppliers/switched from BPL (bio penetrating lubricant) to the Bio-Arctic lubricant.

From the looks of it, it may be that they do not manufacture their own oil, instead they buy it from a supplier. <<<------ this leads back to my original point, you do not need to purchase specific re-branded firearm products to maintain your pistol.

For your edification, here is a list from our government of other bio lubrications/CLPs/etc. that meet or exceed the government standards that Froglube was designed for:
http://www.biopreferred.gov/bioPreferredCatalog/faces/jsp/catalogResultsAdvanced.jsp

Keep in mind the ^^^ above list appears to be "brand names", not the original equipment manufacturers (I could be mistaken).

I'd be really interested to see if:

A) Audemous Inc. (or the supplier to Audemous Inc., unless Audemous Inc. does in fact manufacture the oil itself) re-sells Froglube (or the stuff it's made from) as other, cheaper, equally performing oils at a fraction of the cost (just like non bio oil companies have done for 50+ years).
B) How well these competing lubricants (supposedly made to the same/similar specifications perform in comparison.
C) If: 1Ultimate Biodegradation (Pw1) within 28 days in ASTM D-5864 Aerobic Aquatic Biodegradation of Lubricants = 28 days with direct contact with water the Froglube is gone. If I recall correctly, synthetic oils (like motor oil) and others far exceed this specification.

That's my scientific contribution to the Frog Lube folks. Please see the part where I stated that the thread was not about Froglube specifically. I added the above to appease the mob. If any of the above info is not correct, please feel free to educate and correct it. I'm not a world authority, I do not sit on a horse (don't own one). I was hoping to help out. Thanks for being gentle.

-Freq

Paradiddle
11-29-2012, 8:41 AM
This thread is a classic "I buy this brand so it must be good/the best" thread.

I shoot glocks so I lube them with sand and mud. Only you 1911 guys have to worry about actually oiling their gun.

;)

-hanko
11-29-2012, 8:46 AM
It also takes about the same time for a new shooter to do a little Google, or even go back a page or 3 here, instead of re-posting the same crap over and over and over.:D

-hanio

bigcasino
11-29-2012, 8:54 AM
I started shooting about 20yrs ago. My first gun was a SKS, i went to a gun show and would buy Military bore cleaner for $0.50 a bottle and light weapon oil for $1.50 a bottle. Then I bought a handgun. I needed a cleaning kit so I got Hopps and used there oil and bore cleaner. when the hopps ran out I went back to the military cheap stuff. I remember when Rem oil came out I got a can, it worked the same as everything else, I still have the same can I bought like 15yrs ago, I only use it on springs because it is easy to spray on them. LOL

I found out about Ed's Red about 2 yrs ago and was planning on making a batch when I ran out of my cleaners, then I started to hear how great Frog lube was so I gave it a try. It does work good and I like it alot! after the first heat treatment it is so easy to use but as you said the cost is kind of high. I am thinking there has to be a way to make your own Frog Lube or get the cost down. anyone have any homemade Frog Lube recipes?

ptroxx
11-29-2012, 9:06 AM
I started shooting about 20yrs ago. My first gun was a SKS, i went to a gun show and would buy Military bore cleaner for $0.50 a bottle and light weapon oil for $1.50 a bottle. Then I bought a handgun. I needed a cleaning kit so I got Hopps and used there oil and bore cleaner. when the hopps ran out I went back to the military cheap stuff. I remember when Rem oil came out I got a can, it worked the same as everything else, I still have the same can I bought like 15yrs ago, I only use it on springs because it is easy to spray on them. LOL

I found out about Ed's Red about 2 yrs ago and was planning on making a batch when I ran out of my cleaners, then I started to hear how great Frog lube was so I gave it a try. It does work good and I like it alot! after the first heat treatment it is so easy to use but as you said the cost is kind of high. I am thinking there has to be a way to make your own Frog Lube or get the cost down. anyone have any homemade Frog Lube recipes?

Found this link. and it speaks of Ed's red...Some cool info in it.. I havent gone thru it all yet.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Freq18Hz
11-29-2012, 9:20 AM
Found this link. and it speaks of Ed's red...Some cool info in it.. I havent gone thru it all yet.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Try clove oil sometime. The japanese have been using it for a very long time as a CLP for high carbon steel. It works remarkably well. The formulation is not as complicated as firearm specific bio lubes (it's just clove oil), but I think you will be amazed.

See post #70 for more info.

-Freq

ptroxx
11-29-2012, 9:40 AM
Try clove oil sometime. The japanese have been using it for a very long time as a CLP for high carbon steel. It works remarkably well. The formulation is not as complicated as firearm specific bio lubes (it's just clove oil), but I think you will be amazed.

See post #70 for more info.

-Freq

I looked over the link... that stuff is just as pricey if not more that FL.
But it is a bio lube which is good ..
Never heard of clove oil. reading now..
Like i said in very open to try ing new things, thats why im trying the FL.. I have been using a few different things in my short time of gun ownership. And so far I really like the idea behind the FL with its smell it being a bio oil and being able to use it in the house.

Sorry never meant to get this thread into a This Vs That...
Its just nice to see poeple have many other options and views on the product the use ..
Like the one guy using his product in the bed..LOL thought that was kinda funny..

Red Devil
11-29-2012, 9:47 AM
I hate to state the obvious, but what do you think causes rust (oxidation)...the thing that Protector's protect against?

From wikipedia:
The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture.[4] This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus penetrate crevices.

= protectorate.

-Freq

Ahhh... No.

It is a penetrant, to remove moisture, read the label. As a lubricant and protectorant it is not very good.

3-in-1 is a far better product, and it's inexpensive and readily available at almost any store that has a hardware section.

And it works really well.

WD-40, as a penetrant, will attack most wood finishes and even some plastics. It will also attack and render inert cartridge primers.

It also leaves a gummy residue behind that will, w/ heat or over time, harden into an amber resin.

Amusing anecdote: I found an old High Standard Sentinel 3" .22 revolver at a local pawn-shop during a big 50% off sale... $150/2 = $75. The bore was near plugged w/ what looked like rust. The Armorer there said no problem and ran a brass bore-brush w/ hoppe's solvent down it a while... not much better. So I told the guy that I really just wanted it for a snake-shot pistol for the batou anyway (where I fish, snakes have a habit of droppin' off branches into the boat, and the .22 load won't go threw the aluminum bottom of a Duracraft), so as long as it shot, that was fine... although I wasn't goin' to pay full price for it either.

$50 bucks.

Got it home, put some CLP down the bore and then ran a stainless-steel milspec 5.56 bore brush down it... once. Then hit it w/ a brass brush a few times followed by a few patches.

Brand spankin' new bore... pristine.

The "rust" was... yep, a sh*t-pot load of WD-40 resin mixed w/ drawer lint and cardboard fiber... probably been sittin' in a drawer for years.

Yeah, I like WD-40 all right - just not for firearms. ;)

Freq18Hz
11-29-2012, 9:56 AM
I looked over the link... that stuff is just as pricey if not more that FL.
But it is a bio lube which is good ..
Never heard of clove oil. reading now..
Like i said in very open to try ing new things, thats why im trying the FL.. I have been using a few different things in my short time of gun ownership. And so far I really like the idea behind the FL with its smell it being a bio oil and being able to use it in the house.

Sorry never meant to get this thread into a This Vs That...
Its just nice to see poeple have many other options and views on the product the use ..
Like the one guy using his product in the bed..LOL thought that was kinda funny..

No worries at all. As it were, I was not specifically intending to knock you, or froglube at all. Glad we are both learning new stuff.

-Freq

Freq18Hz
11-29-2012, 9:57 AM
Ahhh... No.

It is a penetrant, to remove moisture, read the label. As a lubricant and protectorant it is not very good.

3-in-1 is a far better product, and it's inexpensive and readily available at almost any store that has a hardware section.

And it works really well.

WD-40, as a penetrant, will attack most wood finishes and even some plastics. It will also attack and render inert cartridge primers.

It also leaves a gummy residue behind that will, w/ heat or over time, harden into an amber resin.

Amusing anecdote: I found an old High Standard Sentinel 3" .22 revolver at a local pawn-shop during a big 50% off sale... $150/2 = $75. The bore was near plugged w/ what looked like rust. The Armorer there said no problem and ran a brass bore-brush w/ hoppe's solvent down it a while... not much better. So I told the guy that I really just wanted it for a snake-shot pistol for the batou anyway (where I fish, snakes have a habit of droppin' off branches into the boat, and the .22 load won't go threw the aluminum bottom of a Duracraft), so as long as it shot, that was fine... although I wasn't goin' to pay full price for it either.

$50 bucks.

Got it home, put some CLP down the bore and then ran a stainless-steel milspec 5.56 bore brush down it... once. Then hit it w/ a brass brush a few times followed by a few patches.

Brand spankin' new bore... pristine.

The "rust" was... yep, a sh*t-pot load of WD-40 resin mixed w/ drawer lint and cardboard fiber... probably been sittin' in a drawer for years.

Yeah, I like WD-40 all right - just not for firearms. ;)

Please read the whole thread: I am not advocating WD-40 as the #1 firearm product. This is not a this specific lube vs. that specific lube thread. It was intended as the opposite in fact. I regret that it has resulted in an opposite effect that what I stated as desired.

-Freq

sd_shooter
11-29-2012, 9:58 AM

I dont feel bad about my purchase at all,

Didn't like math class back in school? :1eye: And stop shopping for Mobil1 at the Mercedes dealership, at your local Walmart it's about $5/quart (32 ounces.)

FL = $2.23/ounce (over $70/quart)
Mobil1 = $0.16/ounce

Motor oil is designed to go in your car, gun oil is designed to go in your gun.

I don't know about that - Well, at least the bottle was designed to bring in a higher price for the gun oil :D

Anyone have any homemade Frog Lube recipes?

Let's try this:
http://roofmaster.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/pam-spray.jpg

[

drunktank
11-29-2012, 9:59 AM
Thanks Freq18Hz for your postings. Pretty much why I use Lubriplate. Their ratings are posted and work great on my equipment and machinery at work so I double up and use it on my firearms as well. 10 bucks for a giant container that will last a lifetime.

For sh*ts n grins, I'm going to do my own test. I'll lube some metal and let sit for X amount of time at work (I'm literally right next to the ocean). Once I get enough sample of different lubes, I'll start the test. I'll also gladly accept any free samples ;) - probably only need a pea sized portion at most.

I was thinking lubriplate oil, grease, hoppes oil, WD-40, outer's gun oil. And stuff I don't have - FL, their alternative that was posted, clove oil, maybe slide guide?

Should I coat nails, bare steel, aluminum,...? I know it's not scientific. Just for amusement purposes.

Freq18Hz
11-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks Freq18Hz for your postings. Pretty much why I use Lubriplate. Their ratings are posted and work great on my equipment and machinery at work so I double up and use it on my firearms as well. 10 bucks for a giant container that will last a lifetime.

For sh*ts n grins, I'm going to do my own test. I'll lube some metal and let sit for X amount of time at work (I'm literally right next to the ocean). Once I get enough sample of different lubes, I'll start the test. I'll also gladly accept any free samples ;) - probably only need a pea sized portion at most.

I was thinking lubriplate oil, grease, hoppes oil, WD-40, outer's gun oil. And stuff I don't have - FL, their alternative that was posted, clove oil, maybe slide guide?

Should I coat nails, bare steel, aluminum,...? I know it's not scientific. Just for amusement purposes.

Would be an interesting test. Perhaps add something like Froglube (and maybe a competitors bio fire arm oil), and something oldschool like clove oil? I'd also be interested to see how the high priced synthetic gun oils compare to synthetic motor oil.

For the material, might high carbon steel/high vanadium content steel be a good choice? Or something prone to faster oxidation/rust than stainless? This might speed up the test.

I'd be interested to see not only how much oxidation does/doesn't occur, but how much lube remains / overall lubricity of the material. If you dig through the links I sent, you can find the specifications and milspec tests that these lubes must pass in order to be use by the US Military. These might serve as a good minimum basis for the test.
Keep in mind oxidation resistance and lubricity aren't the only performance criteria for firearms suitable products, they must also pass friction/heat requirements.

-Freq

ptroxx
11-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Didn't like math class back in school? :1eye: And stop shopping for Mobil1 at the Mercedes dealership, at your local Walmart it's about $5/quart (32 ounces.)

FL = $2.23/ounce (over $70/quart)
Mobil1 = $0.16/ounce
[

I was using a product to product comparison not oz to qt...using the smallest amount for both.

mobil 1 at walmart is 7.00 by the way.. and I was using autozone price cause not everyone has a walmart near them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-High-Mileage-10W-30-1-qt/17128881

Mr310
11-29-2012, 10:17 AM
I was using a product to product comparison not oz to qt...using the smallest amount for both.

mobil 1 at walmart is 7.00 by the way.. and I was using autozone price cause not everyone has a walmart near them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-High-Mileage-10W-30-1-qt/17128881

Oh, we'll why didn't you say so earlier?

That way I could have dismissed your claim much more quickly.

bigcasino
11-29-2012, 10:21 AM
not to bag on u or your test but I have seen many of these tests done before where they treat a metal plate and then sit it outside or something and see how long before it rusts. I dont really see the point unless u have a habit of leaving ur gun outside for months. all my guns are stored in the safe with dehumidifier, I have never had a bit of rust on a gun that was not there when I bought it. I have even stored guns in a safe for 5+ years never touched them while I was moved away and still no rust.

I would like to see a test on how different oils work under heat and friction like you would see in a gun. I know that would be harder to test but I think it would be better to know than how long I can leave my gun uncleaned sitting in a crappy environment. Again sorry not trying to talk smack or anything, good luck with your tests.

12voltguy
11-29-2012, 10:21 AM
I was using a product to product comparison not oz to qthttp://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-High-Mileage-10W-30-1-qt/17128881

Oh, we'll why didn't you say so earlier?

That way I could have dismissed your claim much more quickly.

:facepalm::facepalm::90::rofl2::rofl2:

Red Devil
11-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Please read the whole thread: I am not advocating WD-40 as the #1 firearm product. This is not a this specific lube vs. that specific lube thread. It was intended as the opposite in fact. I regret that it has resulted in an opposite effect that what I stated as desired.

-Freq

But you're pimpin' it... hard.

It is not even in the same class as a gun or machine oil/grease.

It is also detrimental if you don't understand the product and use it improperly.

I like the stuff when I bring a firearm back into camp after hunting in the rain, or droppin' it in the mud, and will be out in the field for a few days. But I also strip it down first and then coat it after w/ a quality machine oil/grease.

Just sayin'...

sd_shooter
11-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Could a FrogLube user donate a little FL to drunktank for his scientific test? (I know FL is expensive, but I'm hoping someone will step up...)

Freq18Hz
11-29-2012, 10:43 AM
But you're pimpin' it... hard.

It is not even in the same class as a gun or machine oil/grease.

It is also detrimental if you don't understand the product and use it improperly.

I like the stuff when I bring a firearm back into camp after hunting in the rain, or droppin' it in the mud, and will be out in the field for a few days. But I also strip it down first and then coat it after w/ a quality machine oil/grease.

Just sayin'...

I'm not pimping anything. I said that WD-40 is probably the best CLP (due to it's flexibility on so many things/uses). I never said it was specifically better for your intended purpose. 3 in one oil is obviously better for many applications, that's why WD-40 bought the company.

Stop trying to start an argument. Also, your Glock 36 that you recommend in just about every thread, probably doesn't care what you use. If you don't want to use WD-40 on it, don't. I don't use WD-40 on my guns either. It's a jack of all trades. People have been using it on firearms for years and years, but there is better stuff, for specific tasks (cleaning, lubrication, protecting).

-Freq

DArBad
11-29-2012, 10:55 AM
All these threads..........which is why I use Ed's Red for my general cleaning and Hoppe's 9. As to grease..........whatever is available. I was able to get for FREE a tube of Magnalube. Otherwise " whatever " grease is my brand.

I enjoy reading " lubrication " threads by the way. Carry on.

Red Devil
11-29-2012, 1:25 PM
I'm not pimping anything. I said that WD-40 is probably the best CLP (due to it's flexibility on so many things/uses) ever....

-Freq

WTF...? Over.

popularmechanics.com

WD-40 Versus the World of Lubricants (http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/products/wd-40-vs-the-world-of-lubricants)

WD-40 Versus the World of Lubricants - 2 (http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/products/wd-40-vs-the-world-of-lubricants-2)

When WD-40 Won't Do: Choose the Right Lube or Oil for Any Job (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/4311548)

I was tryin' to be polite...

...obviously you don't respond well to subtlety... or facts.

Outside of a Water Dispersant and penatrant...? it Sucks... Large.

There, I said it.

Freq18Hz
11-29-2012, 2:27 PM
WTF...? Over.

popularmechanics.com

WD-40 Versus the World of Lubricants (http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/products/wd-40-vs-the-world-of-lubricants)

WD-40 Versus the World of Lubricants - 2 (http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/products/wd-40-vs-the-world-of-lubricants-2)

When WD-40 Won't Do: Choose the Right Lube or Oil for Any Job (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/4311548)

I was tryin' to be polite...

...obviously you don't respond well to subtlety... or facts.

Outside of a Water Dispersant and penatrant...? it Sucks... Large.

There, I said it.

From the article you just pasted:

"Despite the final tally, WD-40 is not a complete zero. What it lacks in job-specific excellence it makes up for with across-the-board flexibility. In addition to being serviceable in a wide range of tasks (Bob Cornwell uses it to drive moisture from the electrical connectors between trucks and trailers), it is also good at cleaning (Jacques Gordon confirms that it's aces at removing bumper stickers). But its best ability may be discouraging rust. After all, it was first used in the 1950s to prevent corrosion on the Atlas missile. If it's good enough for an ICBM, it's good enough for those garden shears.

Read more: WD-40 Oil Alternatives - The Case Against WD-40 - Popular Mechanics "

Please cease your continued efforts to knock the thread off track by quoting me out of context, and beating a dead horse about WD-40. This thread isn't product specific. Re-read my original post. Thanks.

-Freq

Briancnelson
11-29-2012, 2:38 PM

mobil 1 8.99
fl 8.95

One is for 4 ounces, one is by the quart. Do your cost per unit division and Mobil 1 is far cheaper.

In response to the OP:

I can't use Mobil 1 in my living room while watching TV however.

I am also sure that I could do a lot of research and buy a giant tub of something that is very much like Froglube much more cheaply.

Buuuuut I can't store that much lube. And the Froglube I have lasts a long long time, I am still on my first couple of purchases over a year later.

So, the opportunity cost involved in getting all crazed about being super efficient about my lube pricing is:

1. I lose the ability to clean my guns in the living room and get screamed at by my wife if I screw up any other portion of the house with my lube.

2. I have to spend a lot of my very valuable time and money hunting down an alternative, instead of just picking up Froglube at my local gun shop.

At $300 an hour or so for my time, I figure I'll just eat the cost of the Froglube. It works fine, it smells nice, and for the semi monthly applications of copper solvent that remain necessary under my current lubing regime, I can quickly do them on the porch. I can easily find it at local stores.

If Froglube continues to gain in popularity, I'm sure there will be cheaper competition out there that will find its way into stores.

Telling me that I might not be able to put my gun in a river for a month without a little rust forming if I use Froglube, while it might go a whole two months with some other lube is not a rational argument against Froglube, because if I leave my pistol or rifle in a river for a month I'm likely dead, and don't care.

I'm totally on board with your history lesson in lubrication. And I can't argue that it's cheaper per unit. But when you factor in all economic factors including utility and opportunity costs, some people have judged that it is a winner for them. So in the end, you are just beating a dead horse.

Red Devil
11-29-2012, 2:50 PM
...WD-40 is not a complete zero...

-Freq

WD-40 is the Anthropogenic Global Warming of CLP's... :D

gorenut
11-29-2012, 2:54 PM
It also takes about the same time for a new shooter to do a little Google, or even go back a page or 3 here, instead of re-posting the same crap over and over and over.:D

-hanio

Does it really? My original point was how little time it takes to skip a thread, not to post one. Fraction of a second to skip a thread.. much more time to navigate the not-so-perfect search system. I see your point though, but everyone has to start somewhere and not everyone was raised during the days of internet forums.

Freq: that's a great post and very informative. I wouldn't mind finding some cheaper alternatives myself that would work just as effectively.

Freq18Hz
11-29-2012, 3:13 PM
One is for 4 ounces, one is by the quart. Do your cost per unit division and Mobil 1 is far cheaper.

In response to the OP:

I can't use Mobil 1 in my living room while watching TV however.

I am also sure that I could do a lot of research and buy a giant tub of something that is very much like Froglube much more cheaply.

Buuuuut I can't store that much lube. And the Froglube I have lasts a long long time, I am still on my first couple of purchases over a year later.

So, the opportunity cost involved in getting all crazed about being super efficient about my lube pricing is:

1. I lose the ability to clean my guns in the living room and get screamed at by my wife if I screw up any other portion of the house with my lube.

2. I have to spend a lot of my very valuable time and money hunting down an alternative, instead of just picking up Froglube at my local gun shop.

At $300 an hour or so for my time, I figure I'll just eat the cost of the Froglube. It works fine, it smells nice, and for the semi monthly applications of copper solvent that remain necessary under my current lubing regime, I can quickly do them on the porch. I can easily find it at local stores.

If Froglube continues to gain in popularity, I'm sure there will be cheaper competition out there that will find its way into stores.

Telling me that I might not be able to put my gun in a river for a month without a little rust forming if I use Froglube, while it might go a whole two months with some other lube is not a rational argument against Froglube, because if I leave my pistol or rifle in a river for a month I'm likely dead, and don't care.

I'm totally on board with your history lesson in lubrication. And I can't argue that it's cheaper per unit. But when you factor in all economic factors including utility and opportunity costs, some people have judged that it is a winner for them. So in the end, you are just beating a dead horse.

I respect your decision, and appreciate your contribution to the thread. If Calguns forum members (multi-millionaires or other) want to use incredibly expensive gun branded products, and find that it's a better ROI for their time and effort spent, that's great. I was merely offering an alternate view, and pleaded a case for not needing another specific lube vs. lube thread. It would seem that my request fell on deaf ears.

WD-40 is the Anthropogenic Global Warming of CLP's... :D

Please be careful about taking my posts and quoting them out of context. It is quite misleading, and disruptive to the thread. If you've got a problem, I would appreciate it very much if you would just contact me privately so it can be resolved. Thank you very much for your candor, and keeping things civil moving forward. I appreciate it.

Happy shooting,

-Freq

uhlan1
11-29-2012, 3:39 PM
All these threads..........which is why I use Ed's Red for my general cleaning and Hoppe's 9. As to grease..........whatever is available. I was able to get for FREE a tube of Magnalube. Otherwise " whatever " grease is my brand.

I enjoy reading " lubrication " threads by the way. Carry on.

Yep, I learn something from each and every one. If you're not interested or for some reason they annoy you, don't open the thread for crissakes, just move on.

Lead Waster
11-29-2012, 3:40 PM
EDIT: title changed to more accurately reflect unfortunate state of thread

Stop wasting your cash!

-Freq

I wouldn't have guns if I wanted to do that!

I use the bottle of Hoppes gun oil that came with my gun cleaning kit that I bought as a newb. I have like 3 bottles of it around somewhere.

Lead Waster
11-29-2012, 3:48 PM

Not to knock you Brian, but I see this argument all the time, not just for frog lube, and I gave it myself (not $300 though!)

My friend would always say this and my response is "Nobody is paying you for time you spend at home. The 30 minutes you spent changing your own oil is not costing you $100 unless you are changing your oil instead of working billable hours. That 30 minutes you spent would have otherwise been spent watching TV, for which nobody is paying you"

But it's true that time is a commodity that it's often better to swap money for. My wife refused to let me mow the lawn and trim the trees and uses the argument "Wouldn't you rather spend that time with the kids".. Yeah OK, fine. What she doesn't get is that I LIKE mowing the lawn and trimming the trees! Yes, I like my kids more...

Sorry, this has nothing to do with lube...!

Freq18Hz
11-29-2012, 3:55 PM
I wouldn't have guns if I wanted to do that!

I use the bottle of Hoppes gun oil that came with my gun cleaning kit that I bought as a newb. I have like 3 bottles of it around somewhere.

Well, that's a whole other can of worms. I'm sure we are all guilty several times over in that context.

-Freq

Red Devil
11-29-2012, 4:27 PM
...If you've got a problem, I would appreciate it very much if you would just contact me privately so it can be resolved...

-Freq

The problem is... that you're pimpin' WD-40 as a CLP... it's not.

It's a Water Dispersant and Penetrant.

I would have the same problem if you were pimpin' diaper-grease.

You must own stock. :D

HighLander51
11-29-2012, 4:43 PM
The most common lube on the planet, water!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIwiEuaRbSI

ptroxx
11-29-2012, 4:51 PM
The most common lube on the planet, water!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIwiEuaRbSI

Thats all you ....

Sunday
11-29-2012, 5:13 PM

-Freq
What does NASA use it for????????????????

Freq18Hz
11-29-2012, 5:13 PM
The problem is... that you're pimpin' WD-40 as a CLP... it's not.

It's a Water Dispersant and Penetrant.

I would have the same problem if you were pimpin' diaper-grease.

You must own stock. :D

CLP's are by definition, penetrants:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleaner,_Lubricant,_Preservative
"CLP is a highly penetrating, mobile liquid and is intended for field application to satisfy the complete need of cleaning, lubricating, and short term preservation of military weapons."

If you meant to say that WD-40 does not meet the specifications set in MIL-L-63460 you would be right. It was designed before that specification existed. WD-40 was CLP-ing (cleaning, lubricating, preserving) the most powerful of military weapons long before 1985 when MIL-L-63460 was adopted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
"WD-40 was first used by Convair to protect the outer skin, and more importantly, the paper thin "balloon tanks" of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion.[2][3] These stainless steel fuel tanks were so thin that, when empty, they had to be kept inflated with nitrogen gas to prevent their collapse."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_(rocket_family)
Beginning in 1960, the Agena upper-stage, powered by hypergolic propellant, was used extensively on Atlas launch vehicles. The United States Air Force, NRO and CIA used them to launch SIGINT satellites.[6] NASA used them in the Ranger program to obtain the first close-up images of the surface of the Moon and for Mariner 2, the first spacecraft to fly by another planet.

-Freq

G-forceJunkie
11-29-2012, 6:24 PM
People seem to forget that meeting your weapons minimum lubrications needs can be done with just about any lube on the market. For me, the other factors are more important: toxicity, smell, ease of use, etc. Also, I''m not running through gallons of any cleaner lube, so the price point is pretty moot, $4 or 20, it really does not matter when I'm spending thousands a year on guns and ammo.

ivanimal
11-29-2012, 7:56 PM
I like Kroil.

I have used everything over the ages, I have a bunch of guns and coat them often. The secret is to look at them once in a while and coat them. I got a can of lube from a buddy that worked in a power plant when I was young. It has been 30 years and i still use it for slide grease. It is impervious to extreme cold. Nothing worse than a frozen bolt when you have missed the first shot from shivering.:43: I got this stuff in a tiny bucket and it now sits in a spray paint can lid. When its gone there will be a decision to make.

Please read the first post accurately. There is a valid point. I have some very expensive and collectible guns. I have never been picky about lubes. I just keep them covered. That is the gist of his post. I am sure the people selling expensive lubes like the free publicity, it doesnt necessarily make them better.

elSquid
11-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Thought this was a good read...

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

...using oils and greases intended for food service machinery seems like a reasonable idea. Besides, isn't there extra peace of mind knowing that your lube is both halal and kosher? ;)

-- Michael

Red Devil
11-30-2012, 12:50 PM

De-icing booster tanks...

...Which is almost like machine part lubrication... seein' as the lubricating value of WD-40 lasts a whole Twenty (20 min.) minutes before it evaporates and is gone.

Engineering and Design - Lubricants and Hydraulic Fluids (http://140.194.76.129/publications/eng-manuals/EM_1110-2-1424_pflsec/toc.htm) (EM 1110-2-1424 USA-CE)

Lead Waster
12-03-2012, 1:23 PM
OK, to turn this thread around on people arguing the BEST oils, how about this question;

What's wrong with something like Hoppes gun oil or rem-oil? I mean specifically, that oil "works" in that it's slippery and will make parts oily. What else do we want?

And I'm talking about your average weekly or monthly range going paper puncher. Realistically not any crazy special ops stuff (who I'm assuming could afford any thing they wanted anyway).

Red Devil
12-03-2012, 1:33 PM
OK, to turn this thread around on people arguing the BEST oils, how about this question;

What's wrong with something like Hoppes gun oil or rem-oil? I mean specifically, that oil "works" in that it's slippery and will make parts oily. What else do we want?

And I'm talking about your average weekly or monthly range going paper puncher. Realistically not any crazy special ops stuff (who I'm assuming could afford any thing they wanted anyway).

Nothin'... they're good lube.

Started usin' CLP Break-Free about... Oh, Thirty years ago... When a Drill Instructor handed me an M-16A1 and a bottle of the stuff and then yelled at me really loud several times a day to use it to clean the rifle w/...

...kinda stuck. :D

ptroxx
12-03-2012, 1:41 PM
here is a nice little write up from american handgun

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanHandgunner/AHJA11/?page=50