PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy

PAKALO
11-28-2012, 2:25 PM
howdy cal gunners, man do I need some help. Went to the range today and shot some of my 9mm semi's that i havent gotten to in a while. long story short everything was low right??? pattern was the size of my fist but man was I really disappointing today.. No explanations but I dont know if I have been shooting to much revolvers lately or maybe I was tired..
Anyone ever experience something similar or got some of there own stories and tips out there, im open to all advice. Today was just sincerely not fun!
Thanks

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 2:30 PM
Well, look, you haven't shot them in awhile. Shooting is a perishable skill.

You can't expect to not shoot a gun for awhile, and just hop right back in the saddle shooting at your full potential.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Get back out there! :)

-Freq

JeremyS
11-28-2012, 2:30 PM
Well if you're right handed, this is typically caused by putting too much trigger finger through the trigger guard (rather than using only the pad of your finger tip on the trigger face) and/or increasing pressure on your grip (squeezing harder) right as the gun is about to fire rather than keeping it constant. Both of these things tend to move the POI right/down right.

PAKALO
11-28-2012, 2:38 PM
Well if you're right handed, this is typically caused by putting too much trigger finger through the trigger guard (rather than using only the pad of your finger tip on the trigger face) and/or increasing pressure on your grip (squeezing harder) right as the gun is about to fire rather than keeping it constant. Both of these things tend to move the POI right/down right.

I was constantly checking my trigger finger placement trust me. Was thinking the same thing..
Could have been holding tighter than normal.. My wheel guns are much heavier than my semi autos

JeremyS
11-28-2012, 2:42 PM
Well... the world's ending in less than a month so I wouldn't worry about it anyway :p

tal3nt
11-28-2012, 3:16 PM
Unless your sights are all off, it can really only be one thing: Jerking. Anticipating the shot and trying to compensate for the recoil. Dry fire practice a slow and steady pull until the trigger breaks. You can balance a dime flat face down on the front sight of most handguns. Try to balance it while dry firing. That's how I got my trigger pull down. I would "warm up" this way just before heading to the range. I know you aren't a beginner by any means, but those wheel gun triggers are quite different from most semiautos.

sammy
11-28-2012, 3:36 PM
Yours is a very common problem. You have an advantage though. You see the problem so you can correct it. Why don't you come on out to USI in Concord so I can work with you for an hour or two. I promise you we can shrink your groups in half or better that day. PM me if interested. Sammy

Dutch Henry
11-28-2012, 5:01 PM
This may also help: http://www.adjunct.diodon349.com/Attack_on_USA/pistol_and_revolver_error_analysis_and_correction. htm

PAKALO
11-29-2012, 7:25 AM
Yours is a very common problem. You have an advantage though. You see the problem so you can correct it. Why don't you come on out to USI in Concord so I can work with you for an hour or two. I promise you we can shrink your groups in half or better that day. PM me if interested. Sammy
next time im in concord ill take you up on that.. ive always wanted to go to USI.. dont think m groups can get smaller haha but i need to be able to switch from revolver to semi auto without a problem

BamBam-31
11-29-2012, 10:07 AM
How do you grip your guns (revolver vs. semi-auto)?

PAKALO
11-29-2012, 4:42 PM
How do you grip your guns (revolver vs. semi-auto)?

like an over lapping golf grip but when i shoot semis i hold a little less tension like theirs a bird in my hands.. firm but not to firm.. thumbs close and up.. my wheel guns I definitely hold firmer... mostly shoot j frames always .357

ca1903
11-29-2012, 5:23 PM
I always check my trigger pull by throwing in one or two snap caps mixed with live ammo. Few times when in doubt about my trouble, the snap cap easily revealed my problem.

uhlan1
11-29-2012, 5:28 PM
Unless your sights are all off, it can really only be one thing: Jerking. Anticipating the shot and trying to compensate for the recoil. Dry fire practice a slow and steady pull until the trigger breaks. You can balance a dime flat face down on the front sight of most handguns. Try to balance it while dry firing. That's how I got my trigger pull down. I would "warm up" this way just before heading to the range. I know you aren't a beginner by any means, but those wheel gun triggers are quite different from most semiautos.

Nice trick. going to try that, thanks.

PAKALO
12-05-2012, 1:33 PM

Went out today and so so much better.. started with my 22 just to get warm.. But when I switched to my CZ it was a sweet transition.. I was like a carpenter just nailing everything.. I practiced a little more at home just with the trigger then used ^^ trick (on my glock to hold the coin) super super sweet..
thank you so much shooting is enjoyable again :D

Q619
12-05-2012, 1:41 PM
Everyone has off days, as has been stated: shooting is a perishable skill. That fine level of accuracy degrades a little if you haven't been at it.