PDA

View Full Version : CCW Case question

Zhukov
08-01-2007, 9:08 PM
As I peridocially skim over stuff related to California CCW, I see references to the case: Guillory v. County of Orange aka Guillory v. Gates

What exactly did that case ultimately state in regards to California CCWs?

Librarian
08-01-2007, 10:57 PM
As I peridocially skim over stuff related to California CCW, I see references to the case: Guillory v. County of Orange aka Guillory v. Gates

What exactly did that case ultimately state in regards to California CCWs?Link (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/legal/guillory.html) to case, Guillory v. County of Orange, 731 F.2d 1379 (9th Cir. 4/25/1984).

Key graphs at the end: Accordingly, we conclude the district court abused its discretion by limiting the scope and extent of the cross-examination of Gates. United States v. Johnson, 285 F.2d 35, 40 (9th Cir. 1960). The directed verdict must be set aside.

[42] Conclusion

[43] The district court erred by dismissing all original defendants except Sheriff Gates and Police Chief Davis, and by granting Gates and Davis immunity. The court also erred in directing a verdict in favor of Gates and Davis.
As far as I can see with my non-expert eye, there is very little to do with CCW itself, lots to do with procedural issues and government behavior.

OK, that's the Federal version. It was remanded, so it should have been re-decided someplace. I don't see where that happened.

Zhukov
08-01-2007, 11:00 PM
My main question is whether or not the Sheriff's issuing to say, Movie Stars, but not people who need them for self-defense in a bad neighborhood could be considered illegal because of some sort of procedural BS or somesuch.

Trying to read some of the info can get confusing with the way it is listed. I understand what you're saying, I just wanted to be sure I didn't miss anything.

Python2
08-02-2007, 6:57 AM
Bottom line, it was Gates violation of Guillory's 14th Amendment rights. - "due process and equal protection", nothing to do with CCW, fact is Guillory never was issued CCW by that county, he moved out to another county and got it there.

Zhukov
08-02-2007, 1:53 PM
Ah, ok. Thanks.

Paladin
08-03-2007, 8:42 PM

What exactly did that case ultimately state in regards to California CCWs?You can find an excellent discussion of the importance of the Guillory case at:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=58468

Be sure to also check out: www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

There is supposed to be another fed case filed soon using Guillory as precedent.