PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice for Hunting Boots

cornholio1
08-01-2007, 8:48 PM
I wanted to get a few suggestions on quality but affordable hunting boots. Something that will keep my feet dry and is waterproof yet comfortable. Thanks

FatKatMatt
08-01-2007, 9:29 PM
I'm not sure if they make boots specially for hunting, but North Face is a good brand. I bought a pair of hiking boots with Gortex lining, worked marvelously.

Rule .308
08-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Keep an eye on the Sportsman's Guide, I just picked up a set of the current issue tan military boots. I bought myself a set at a gunshow a few months ago for $60.00 but they did not have them in my kid's size, 14. Knowing that the Guide throws them onsale occassionally I picked up a set for him when they did. The kid got his yesterday and he loves them. They are really nice boots, I have gone hiking in mine a few times and really like them. They are goretex lined, have a triple layer sole, and are constructed of a suede kind of leather and somekind of nylon canvas. I priced at a few different places and they range in price from about $150.00-$190.00.

SamIAm
08-02-2007, 7:46 AM
They're basically an outlet mall on line for sporting goods.

They usually have some great deals on quality boots -- if they've got them in your size.

wildcard
08-02-2007, 9:42 AM
I can strongly recommend you look at the Montrail line of shoes. I'd definitely spend the extra couple bucks for the the Gore-Tex lining. As a personal preference, I prefer the mid/ high tops for the additional ankle support and ability to step into slightly deeper water without getting wet. Their shoes are comfortable and not too heavy.

I'm not a big fan of Merrell shoes for various reasons relating to comfort and durability.. but a lot of people tend to like them.

Sydwaiz
08-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Quality and affordable don't usually mix. Atleast not for me and my feet. What type of hunting are you going to do with them? I'm a fan of Cabela's boots. I have a pair of their leather All Season hunting boots and couldn't be happier. I've used them for elk hunting in snowy Colorado to dove hunting in central California. I've had them for many, many years and they still perform. They even double as my snow boots when I go to Big Bear every year and I still use them for coyote hunting in the desert.

HillBilly
08-02-2007, 7:45 PM
I second Cabelas boots! Great product, as with almost all of their branded stuff, for less. Rocky also makes a good boot, but i like the cabelas. If you plan to hunt in the snow, buy the gore-tex model. Otherwise, I don't find it necessary.

I cannot fathom why one would want to wear a military issue boot in the woods if they had the choice. There is just no comparison, and you can get a good hunting boot for the same price as a military boot.

DULLYJAY
08-14-2007, 3:17 PM
I like Danner's. They feel great, might be a little hot for Cali. summers(not to bad)

CaliTheKid
08-14-2007, 7:49 PM
If you can;t afford Danners Cabelas are the way to go--but if you can swing the Danners-- get them-- your feet are worth it.

This is the perfect Cali spring/summer/fall boot IMHO.

http://www.danner.com/product/work+boots/hot+weather/workman+8+inch+hot+steel+toe+work+boot.do

jaymz
08-15-2007, 5:55 PM
I've got a pair of Wolverine's that I've been using for 3 seasons so far. They're called "whitetail" or something to that effect. I think I paid about $90 bucks for 'em at Basspro's.