PDA

View Full Version : Ear muffs?

robgon
11-28-2012, 10:05 AM
What is the best ear muffs out there? I need to upgrade and want to get your opinion on the best out there?

11-28-2012, 10:08 AM
http://www.proears.com/

speedrrracer
11-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Pro Ears Pro Mag Golds are nice, MSA-Sordin Supreme Pro-X are nice, and the David Clark Model 27s are nice.

Prolly a lot of other choices work well, too.

63 tango
11-28-2012, 10:15 AM
I gotta pair of pro ears. I like them a lot. The not expensive and there USA made.

k1dude
11-28-2012, 11:57 AM
MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X with the optional GEL earmuff seals.

Buy here. (http://srstactical.com/communications/supreme-range-headsets.html)

I tried cheap $30 electronic Caldwell's = junk.

I tried inexpensive $60 electronic Howard Leight's = junk.

I finally broke down and dropped the $$$ for a good pair of earmuffs and I'm satisfied. I still double up with foam though. My only complaint with the Sordins is I wish the amplification went a little higher since I'm wearing foam too.

enzo357
11-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Tried the Pro Ears and prefered the MSA Sordin supreme Pro-x. Can wear them all day with no discomfort. The gel seals are worth it. Great audio and protection.

sholling
11-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Pro Ears with at least an NRR rating for 26. I use them alone for classes and then double up with plugs when I don't need to hear someone talking at me.

Saym14
11-28-2012, 12:54 PM
ear muffs are for ice skating - I suspect you want ear protection ? I like howard leight impact sport

SB1964
11-28-2012, 1:07 PM
I`m "over" the Howard Leight Ear Muffs. Absolute JUNK! I now use 50 cent ear Foam, but interested in QUALITY Ear Muffs, that dont cost 200+

k1dude
11-28-2012, 1:07 PM
Chuck Woolery sells ear protection? ;)

Ooops!!! Weird. I guess I screwed that up pretty good. Corrected. Thanks. :oops:

HK35
11-28-2012, 1:13 PM
MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X with the optional GEL earmuff seals.

Buy here. (http://srstactical.com/communications/supreme-range-headsets.html)

I tried cheap $30 electronic Caldwell's = junk.

I finally broke down and dropped the $$$ for a good pair of earmuffs and I'm satisfied. I still double up with foam though. My only complaint with the Sordins is I wish the amplification went a little higher since I'm wearing foam too.

+1 for the MSA Pro-X with Gel seals

I have a pair of $60 Leights too and they do not provide enough hearing protection. Get the MSA and buy once, cry once...

JeremyS
11-28-2012, 1:21 PM
^^^ the MSA ones are only rated at 18 db nrr though..... ???

I`m "over" the Howard Leight Ear Muffs. Absolute JUNK!

Why don't you guys like the Howard Leight ones? I got a pair a few months ago and like them a lot. They work exactly as I would expect them to and they're nice and slim. Most of the time I just wear plugs, as I don't like how muffs can interfere with your eyewear, and I have plugs with a 32 db nrr that are all-day comfortable (and I got a box of 500 pairs for like $30 or something crazy). But... sometimes I double up plugs and muffs, especially when shooting indoors, and sometimes I just do the muffs if I'm in a scenario where I want the protection on and off often (annoying w/ expanding plugs) or where I'm teaching people and need to be able to hear them more easily, etc. They've worked great for me.

Also, they have like a 4.7 rating on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354140860&sr=8-1&keywords=howard+leight) (where they're $45) with 933 reviews. You guys are DEFINITELY in a minority not liking them, but I'd certainly like to know why you don't.

You guys just hate them because Nutndouchey likes 'em (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkZvIXGohc0), right? :p

HK35
11-28-2012, 1:24 PM
Why don't you guys like the Howard Leight ones?

They just don't provide enough hearing protection specially when shooting rifles and indoors. The electronics on mine have also failed after using it two days straight.

k1dude
11-28-2012, 1:26 PM
Why don't you guys like the Howard Leight ones? I got a pair a few months ago and like them a lot. They work exactly as I would expect them to and they're nice and slim.

Perhaps I got a bad pair, but they were amplifying EVERYTHING including the gunshots. I have a friend who had the Leights and liked them alot, but after trying my Sordins, he wound up buying Sordins and dumped the Leight's.

If you can't afford Sordins, the Leights are well regarded. But not in my personal experience. Even turned off they didn't stop the sound nearly as well as my Sordins.

Yerman
11-28-2012, 1:38 PM
+1 for the MSA Pro-X with Gel seals

I have a pair of $60 Leights too and they do not provide enough hearing protection. Get the MSA and buy once, cry once...

I am also interested in replacing my Howard Leights for more protection but they have a 22 NRR vs the MSA which are rated at 18 NRR. Is there something else to the MSA's that make them work better with regard to protection that is not reflected in the NRR rating?

k1dude
11-28-2012, 1:52 PM
I am also interested in replacing my Howard Leights for more protection but they have a 22 NRR vs the MSA which are rated at 18 NRR. Is there something else to the MSA's that make them work better with regard to protection that is not reflected in the printed advertising?

I'm not sure how NRR testing is performed, but in my experience it's only a guide. I wonder if there's even an industry standard for testing. My Sordins are more quiet than other muffs that claim a higher NRR. Perhaps it's the optional GEL seals which have quite a bit of mass, which in turn helps deaden sound. IMHO if the NRR is within 5 or 10 of another product, they could be considered similar in reducing noise.

JeremyS
11-28-2012, 2:03 PM
The weird thing is, the dB scale is exponential, and every ~3 dB is actually a doubling (or halving) of the sound pressure level. So going from 22 nrr to 18 nrr would be more than doubling the volume level. The testing standard probably just sucks. Same thing with lumen ratings for flashlights... seems like manufacturers use different methods. That said, the NRR and dB ratings for suppressors seem to be dead on across the industry, as there are absolutely military standards for testing them and there are calibration steps for dB meters, and everybody seems to come up with extremely reliable and comparable numbers.

Anyhoo... another thing to consider is frequency range. One muff might sound quieter because it is muffling a certain frequency range better than another muff, but the overall reduction could still be less. Some frequencies feel louder than others or are noticeable while others really aren't, but any of the audible frequencies will still damage your hearing. It's quite possible that your hearing isn't actually as protected in muff X with a lower NRR vs muff Y, even if muff X feels quieter.

You'd have to really, really get into it but I know a lot of hearing protection fails at properly muffling some of the frequency range of most gunshots. Whenever possible, I have been choosing to double up plugs under muffs, and electronic muffs like the HL are great because they can amplify normal sounds enough that you can hear very well even w/ the plugs on (better than plugs and no muffs).

-hanko
11-28-2012, 2:06 PM
Sordin.

Not a great idea to base your choice on price.;)

-hanko

sundayduffer
11-28-2012, 2:21 PM
Indoors...proears 33 nrr for pistols. Outdoors browning low profile 31 nrr. Low profile is great for shotguns and rifles, the earmuffs dont get in the way when you lean your cheeks against the stock.

Librarian
11-28-2012, 2:46 PM
Couple of other issues:

If you wear glasses and eye protection over them, the pads on the cups need to be very 'conformable' to seal around the earpieces of the glasses/eye protection. Nice path past the protection.

Getting a cheek weld on a long gun can easily dislodge the earpiece against the stock - protection drops.

I've tried my HLs without plugs underneath, once; never again.

Love your ears: http://www.musicandmischief.com/content/wp-content/uploads/heart-ear-muffs.jpg

Tjfearl
11-28-2012, 2:56 PM
They just don't provide enough hearing protection specially when shooting rifles and indoors. The electronics on mine have also failed after using it two days straight.

Its common to double up hearing protection when shooting indoors, especially shooting rifles indoors. I use surefire plugs and the fancy Howard Leights when I shoot at Iron Sights. When shooting outdoors I like just my Surefires or some standard foamies.

Red Devil
11-28-2012, 3:02 PM
Peltor ShotGunner (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1062404431/peltor-shotgunner-folding-earmuffs-nrr-21db)

$20.00

Work great and they are small and compact to carry.

Shoot short Bbl. .40 and .45 ACP indoors and M1 Garand/12 ga. 870 outdoors.

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/peltor97013.jpg

k1dude
11-28-2012, 3:39 PM
I agree it depends on frequency. In addition, the NRR number given is a weighted average across all frequencies. At some frequencies, earmuffs perform very poorly at protection, and at other frequencies they perform well. This is true of all earmuffs. So perhaps my Sordins protect better at frequencies that are more noticeable to me versus the Leights. I guess it also depends on the individual and their hearing strengths and deficiencies regarding frequency.

And the point about glasses is well taken. That's why I use ESS Crossbow Supressors since their temple arms are very thin to fit well under earmuffs. They were specifically designed for that use.

Also, hearing protection can only provide benefits up to around the late 20's or early 30's in NRR max. Beyond that there is no benefit since your bones and flesh transmit gunshot sound energy to your eardrums. Recall how well water transfers sound energy.

JeremyS
11-28-2012, 6:07 PM
And the point about glasses is well taken. That's why I use ESS Crossbow Supressors since their temple arms are very thin to fit well under earmuffs. They were specifically designed for that use.

http://andreamacmillan.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/freaky-shades.jpg

jvpark
11-28-2012, 6:41 PM
I`m "over" the Howard Leight Ear Muffs. Absolute JUNK! I now use 50 cent ear Foam, but interested in QUALITY Ear Muffs, that dont cost 200+

you got a point....

Saym14
11-28-2012, 7:10 PM

If you are shooting a match or taking a class electronic hearing is a must. sometimes when shooting a rifle / 3 gun match I wear foam under them and turn the volume up (they do sometimes get bumped when shooting shot gun or rigfle, but any "muffs" can do that. ) then I can still hear the rangemaster and talk to other members without yelling.

I have used mine for three years. changed batteries only once. always worked.

I dont shoot indoors, I hate it.