PDA

View Full Version : Assault on a friend!!!

justinLB
08-01-2007, 7:40 PM
Gonna try to make this brief. At a friends house today w/ four mutual friends. Theres a knock at the door then the "friend" that walks in takes a CHEAP shot at my other friend, so he's down and the "friend" starts to strangle him! This all happened within a 3 second time frame so me and the rest of my friends barely had time to react. After its all over the friend/victim has a busted lip and choke-marks on his neck from the cheapshot's hands! I'm tellin him to take a shot right back and call the cops (you can only imagine what his thoughts are)
The "friend/cheapshot" is a gun enthusiast so he will most likely lose his right to purchase for a while and hopefully more, this isn't the first time the cheapshot has done something like this.
Does anybody know if this is a felony case of assault or just a misdemeanor (he has strangle marks for god sakes)!

scootergmc
08-01-2007, 7:52 PM
It all depends on how it's charged, if it's charged at all.

justinLB
08-01-2007, 8:18 PM
so, call "johnny" or good ole' vigilante justice?

BillCA
08-01-2007, 8:31 PM
And this attack was in retribution for... what?

Did the friend you were visiting do something that maybe deserved a punch in the snoot? Did anyone offer an explanation of why? I'd suspect the "victim" in this case may have done something to his attacker - swindle, lie, cheat or seriously insult him -- and got punched for it.

If your friend is refusing to get the cops involved, then I suspect he may be afraid of the whole story coming out.

In either case, it's time to re-evaluate your "friendships".

justinLB
08-01-2007, 8:45 PM
He did nothing of the sort. It was just here-say rumors that are totally false.

Solidmch
08-01-2007, 8:52 PM
How about they go in the back yard for some good ol fashion mutual combat. Then get back to being friends. Nothing illegal about that. :43: God my friends and I brawled when we were coming up. No police. Roll with the punches.

justinLB
08-01-2007, 9:00 PM
EXACTLY just square off like big boys. But I say he broke the fair fight rule and the true friend takes a cheap shot right back and call the law.

Scouter
08-01-2007, 9:08 PM
the true friend takes a cheap shot right back and call the law.

He takes a cheap shot back AND calls the cops :confused:

that's pretty gay

sintax
08-01-2007, 9:22 PM
why would anyone get the cops involved. That is the lamest thing i've ever heard. Thats a prime example of what the cops should NOT be doing.

scootergmc
08-01-2007, 9:24 PM
There are too many friends, close friends, and cheapshots in this thread. And did I read something about a gay cop fight?

MudCamper
08-01-2007, 10:06 PM
All those that advocate "taking it outside" or "giving some back" are advocating breaking the law. Is it against this forum's rules to advocate breaking the law? You all need to grow up. Fighting is for boys, not grown men.

As for getting the cops involved. It's the responsible thing to do. Fighting is not fun and games. All fights can potentially, and quite often do, lead to lethal combat. I sure as hell know that if somebody were strangling me, I'd pull a weapon and defend myself to the best of my ability, by killing my attacker.

Given that this is where it can lead, calling the cops is the calm, prudent thing to do.

socalguns
08-02-2007, 1:26 AM
or attempted murder (choking means death)

bg
08-02-2007, 1:36 AM
Too bad dueling is outlawed. That would pretty well settle things..

hitnrun
08-02-2007, 2:43 AM
Did he lose consciousness at any point? If so, it becomes a felony. Same for any traumatic conditions resulting in treatment from a doctor.

What was said during the event? Were any criminal threats made? Did he let up from the choke hold or was he pulled off? Hands and feet can be considered a deadly weapon depending on the intent of there use.

There aren't enough details in this story to accurately give an idea.

simonov
08-02-2007, 6:41 AM
All those that advocate "taking it outside" or "giving some back" are advocating breaking the law. Is it against this forum's rules to advocate breaking the law? You all need to grow up. Fighting is for boys, not grown men.

As for getting the cops involved. It's the responsible thing to do. Fighting is not fun and games. All fights can potentially, and quite often do, lead to lethal combat. I sure as hell know that if somebody were strangling me, I'd pull a weapon and defend myself to the best of my ability, by killing my attacker.

Werd up. For a minute there I forgot which forum I was reading.

Solidmch
08-02-2007, 8:23 AM
why would anyone get the cops involved. That is the lamest thing i've ever heard. Thats a prime example of what the cops should NOT be doing.

+1 to that

Solidmch
08-02-2007, 8:25 AM

Given that this is where it can lead, calling the cops is the calm, prudent thing to do.

mutual combat is not a crime. The police are not our babysitters.

CSACANNONEER
08-02-2007, 8:32 AM
IF what you say is true and your friend really is an inocent victom, your friend SHOULD press charges and we can hope that your friend, the violent attacker gets convicted of a crime that leads to him losing his gun rights. Violent, angry, agressive, hot-heads with guns make the rest of us look bad.

MudCamper
08-02-2007, 9:37 AM
mutual combat is not a crime. The police are not our babysitters.

Even if that were true, the poster did not describe mutual combat. He described an unprovoked violent attack. Some followup posters then advocated "mutual combat" as a solution. That's advocating battery, a crime. Plus it's foolish to assume that a fight might not end up in felony and/or deadly territory. Police as babysitters? WTH. The police are paid by us to serve us. And one of the things that they do for us very often is break up disputes between "friends" and family. Calling the cops is usually a very good way to defuse a volatile situation.

mstlaurent
08-02-2007, 9:51 AM
Yeah, +1 on just going to the cops.

Back in June my brother-in-law decided he was going to be macho and go mano-a-mano with some guy who pissed off one of his friends. Well, the other guy pulled a knife, and we scattered my brother-in-law's ashes a couple of weeks ago.

Self-defense is self-defense, but going after a guy for something he did to you in the past is assault. It can wind up with you in jail, or the hospital, or worse. Worst part is if you attack him it becomes self-defense on his part, and then there's not a damn thing anyone can do to him. Swallow your pride, call the cops, then close your eyes and imagine him as Bubba's girlfriend.

Surveyor
08-02-2007, 2:36 PM
If this guy can't help but resort to some form of violence when he loses his temper, then he should not own guns. Period. If he's 18-22 years old, then he should have them put away until he grows up. If he's much older than that he should probably be dis-armed.

Part of being a good gun owner, is learning how to de-escalate a situation. For instance, I usually drive around with an unloaded 12 ga in my truck. That means I have to suck it up and not get pissed when people cut me off, tailgate, etc...

If Mr. tough guy can't keep his hands to himself, then he will have to settle for pepper spray.

Now if two evenly matched adults want to put on a pair of gloves and settle their differences in the back yard, that's different.

tacticalcity
08-02-2007, 3:30 PM
Very sad, and kind of odd. Most the gun nuts I hang with calmed down after they got into guns. Unless he just buys them and doesn't both training with them. Getting training at a place like Front Sight or Blackwater will calm you down. It is "the more you know the less you have to prove" theory. You already know you'd win...so why bother. I can't remember the last time I got into a "real fight". Scrapping with a buddy, when both new the boundries from the start, doesn't count. Sounds to me like your buddy has some growing up to do. Too bad it comes with criminal charges.

Whatever you do, don't try and settle it yourselves. There is no point to it. Clearly this guy will push it somewhere you don't want to go. Better to let the cops deal with it. Either way, it's time he was cut off. He's too dangerous to be buddies with.