PDA

View Full Version : S.F. passes new gun control laws

Centurion_D
08-01-2007, 5:10 PM
I was watching KTVU channel 2 and they said today the city of S.F. passed new sweeping gun control legislation making it the strictest in the entire nation! What laws are they talking about? Anyone else catch this. I tried to do a search online but came up blank.:mad:

Shane916
08-01-2007, 5:30 PM
http://www.nbc11.com/news/13801378/detail.html

StukaJr
08-01-2007, 5:33 PM
SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco’s board of supervisors on Tuesday unanimously passed several new gun control laws for The City.

The new laws are more limited in scope than Proposition H, a 2005 voter-approved measure that was struck down in 2006 after it was challenged in a lawsuit filed by the National Rifle Association, four other groups and seven individuals.

Superior Court Judge James Warren ruled at that time that the city measure conflicted with state laws that regulate handguns.

One of the new city laws passed yesterday bans possession or sale of firearms or ammunition on county property. The law is similar to that of Los Angeles County, which has spent years litigating challenges to its own law prohibiting gun shows at a county-owned facility, according to a Bay City News report.

Another new San Francisco law requires handguns owned by residents to be stored in a locked container or with a trigger lock. Current state law requires such measures only when a handgun is being transported, not when it is stored.

A third law requires gun dealers to conduct inventory counts every six months. There is only one gun shop in The City.

http://www.examiner.com/a-845720~San_Francisco_passes_new_gun_control_laws.h tml?cid=comment-m

:confused:

It's easy enough to find information via a search engine, but if you do ask it on the board - then it feels like you are fulfilling your goals in social interaction :43:

Solidmch
08-01-2007, 6:09 PM
Daly is the devil!!!!!!!!:reddevil:

Centurion_D
08-01-2007, 6:54 PM
Daly is the devil!!!!!!!!:reddevil:

Actually that freak Daly wasn't there at the press conference..it was Newsom and DA Harris soaking up the lime light. Just bout made me puke:mad:

Thrillbilly
08-01-2007, 7:04 PM
Another new San Francisco law requires handguns owned by residents to be stored in a locked container or with a trigger lock. Current state law requires such measures only when a handgun is being transported, not when it is stored.

So I guess they want their citizens to defend their homes with long guns then :rolleyes:

moulton
08-01-2007, 8:01 PM
is the cow palace county property?

Phantom_Piney
08-01-2007, 8:04 PM
Hey let me get this straight, does this mean its illegal for a San Francisco resident to purchase ammo or a handgun at a San Francisco gun shop. Correct me if I am wrong, but is there not only one gun store in the mission district of San Francisco. Or will these laws only apply at gun shows that are on county property such as the Cow Palace. Thanks in advance... :)

triggerhappy
08-01-2007, 8:09 PM
Now, if you head through town, you better carry, because you know the vermin will be.

Newsom is an intellectual midget.

newtothis
08-01-2007, 8:13 PM
is the cow palace county property?

San Francisco Cow PalaceWELCOME TO THE SAN FRANCISCO COW PALACE 2600 Geneva Avenue, Daly City, CA

Dont Tread on Me
08-01-2007, 8:35 PM
"Supervisor Tom Ammiano said the laws are worth a try partly because of the rising homicide rate."

I wonder how many homicides were committed with legally owned guns?

Not surprising given the Brady Chair for CA sits in one of the SF Supervisor offices.

Catherine Stefani
Legislative Aide
Office of Supervisor Alioto-Pier
City Hall
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, Room 224
San Francisco, CA 94102-4689
Phone: (415) 554-7752
Fax: (415)554-7843

I can smell a law suite.

Centurion_D
08-01-2007, 8:44 PM
If I'm reading this correctly then the Cow Palace gun show is no more! Anyone?

dfletcher
08-01-2007, 8:57 PM
"Supervisor Tom Ammiano said the laws are worth a try partly because of the rising homicide rate."

I wonder how many homicides were committed with legally owned guns?

Not surprising given the Brady Chair for CA sits in one of the SF Supervisor offices.

Catherine Stefani
Legislative Aide
Office of Supervisor Alioto-Pier
City Hall
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, Room 224
San Francisco, CA 94102-4689
Phone: (415) 554-7752
Fax: (415)554-7843

I can smell a law suite.

Worth a try? So when it doesn't work they'll remove the law - yea, right. I have an idea - let those of us with clean criminal records carry (sorry Kamala, that leaves out alot of folks who'd vote for you) and see what happens to the homicide rate. It's worth a try.

DRM6000
08-01-2007, 9:02 PM
If I'm reading this correctly then the Cow Palace gun show is no more! Anyone?

read a post on page one. the cow palace is in daly city, san mateo county.

daly is a little boy. he didn't vote on this measure since newsome supported it. if he didn't daly would be taking all the credit.

socalguns
08-02-2007, 12:24 AM
The TV news read a NRA letter, which I can't find :)

jdberger
08-02-2007, 12:52 AM
Newsom and Harris are pathetic on this issue. Somewhere in this forum is a newsletter by the SFPD Bayview district. There's a list of guys arrested and what for. Gun crime guys are usually released.....

But at least they're going after Ed Jew. Think of all the folks he's killed....

JawBone
08-02-2007, 5:33 AM
Link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/02/BA8KRBF6B2.DTL&hw=gun+law&sn=001&sc=1000)

San Francisco residents will be required to keep their guns in lock boxes or have trigger locks on their firearms under a law signed Wednesday by Mayor Gavin Newsom.

The law also makes it illegal to possess or sell firearms on city and county property and requires firearm dealers to submit an inventory to the police chief every six months.

The measure's co-sponsors concede that it will have little effect on the proliferation of illegal firearms. The prohibition of guns on county property does not apply to Housing Authority sites, and the ban on selling guns on county property does not apply to the annual gun show at the Cow Palace. The firearm inventory list applies to the one gun store and five licensed firearm dealers in the city.

Officials did not say how they plan to enforce the lock box and trigger lock requirements, but District Attorney Kamala Harris said that once people are aware of the new law, "they're going to follow it."

Phantom_Piney
08-02-2007, 6:17 AM
I'm still confused, does this mean as a San Francisco resident will I be allowed to purchase firearms and ammo at the one and only gun store in San Francisco? Is it now against the law for me to purchase ammo online and have it shipped to a San Francisco address without me being prosecuted. :( Please help a fellow gun owner. Thanks :)

sako
08-02-2007, 8:23 AM
Phantom Piney, read the new laws, the gun prohibition applies to city owned property, not private property. There is a requirement to keep your guns in a locked box (not sure, but that might apply to handguns only) With the new, useless laws, SF does NOT have the most strict gun laws in the nation. That goes to D.C., Morton Grove, NYC and maybe Chicago

1911_sfca
08-02-2007, 1:15 PM
So I guess they want their citizens to defend their homes with long guns then :rolleyes:

Loaded shotgun under the bed works for me.....

Phantom_Piney
08-02-2007, 5:38 PM
Thanks Sako for clearing that up, I am a tad under the weather and it seems every moment I turn my back someone is creating a new law to restrict our gun rights. All these over reaching gun laws are driving me crazy, and worthless at best. It gets kind of old reading about new gun laws when its always about taking our firearm rights, instead of restoring them.

Thanks again :cowboy: