PDA

View Full Version : ammo in metal links

winetoad
11-27-2012, 6:51 PM
I inherited 30 cal ammo in a metal link of about 100 or so rounds. Is it legal to keep as C&R? The ammo is from around 1952. Or can I remove some of the ammo between rounds and would that be considered as less than a 10 round magazine? California rules are so vague. Or should I just remove the ammo?

Decoligny
11-27-2012, 7:12 PM
The links are what determine capacity not the rounds put into the links. Removing a round from every tenth link won't change the capacity of the links to hond more than 10 rounds. You would have to seperate the links into 10 round or less segments for it to not be a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

I am not going to assume you have them in CA now, as that would mean you already committed a crime by bringing them into the state. If they were already in CA, and the executor of the estate gave them to you, then he and you could both be guilty of conspiracy to commit a felony.

Whatever the case, don't admit to anything and ensure that the links are in 10 round or less segments.

GMG
11-27-2012, 7:34 PM
What year did you receive the pre-ban belt? If you had it before 2000, you could shoot it down to 11 rounds and relink it.

What gun is it set up for?

50BMGBOB
11-27-2012, 7:42 PM
Actually, if linked, and you are in CA, you should delink so that ther are only 10 or less. Having the links is OK, but unless you had the linked belt sense before the ban you can't have belts linked up more than 10. It would be like inheriting a 30 rd mag. You can break it down to parts or permanently modify it to only hold 10 rounds. Links not holding more than 10 rounds are perfectly legal. That is assuming it is the disintegrating link type.

50BMGBOB
11-27-2012, 7:44 PM
Also, if you had it sense before the ban, then as long as you don't shoot it down below 11 rounds then you can legally add to it, just don't shoot it lower than 11 rounds.

GOEX FFF
11-27-2012, 7:50 PM
Also, if you had it sense before the ban, then as long as you don't shoot it down below 11 rounds then you can legally add to it, just don't shoot it lower than 11 rounds.

^^ That

Folks who had pre 2000 11+ linked ammo who still use it, often put a dummy or snap-cap at the 12th round indicating when to stop firing, then link em back up.

gunsandrockets
11-27-2012, 7:53 PM
Part of the craziness of California anti-gun laws is trying to figure out the rules regarding disintegrating belts of linked ammunition.

I bought an Ohio Rapid Fire 1919a4 in .308 caliber way back in 2000, and part of what came with it were a fabric belt for 200 rounds, and 1,000 links for .308 ammunition. I had to have the fabric belt shipped separately to an out-of-state relative since it would violate the "high capacity feeding device" law. The links are another question.

Best as I can figure, it is legal for me to build up a belt of 10 linked cartridges without violating the law. Which of course demonstrates how really pointless the law is, since creating an illegal belt of 200 rounds could be quickly accomplished by simply linking together 20 belts of legal-length!

What I really wonder about though is how the law is supposed to work for people who already had possession of a disintegrating belt of ammunition, since once fired the links are separated. In theory reloading those links into a new belt could be construed as illegal construction of a high-capacity feeding device, making the links a one time use only item! (as least as far as loading more than 10 rounds of ammunition into a belt).

winetoad
11-27-2012, 8:08 PM
So, as I read this, although the linked ammo is 1950 vintage, because it is over 10 rounds. I should break it up to 10 round links or just remove the ammo. Welcome to vague gun and ammo laws....

hermosabeach
11-27-2012, 8:18 PM
^^ That

Folks who had pre 2000 11+ linked ammo who still use it, often put a dummy or snap-cap at the 12th round indicating when to stop firing, then link em back up.

Why would disassembling a mag and reassembling the mag constitute manufacturing a new prohibited magazine?

Do you have any PC for this?

50BMGBOB
11-27-2012, 9:29 PM
It use to be stated in the FAQ on the CADOJ's site. I am on my phone or I would look it up. I don't think the PC states it but it has been the CADOJ's opinion in writing for a long time. I think that it could be challenged as such, but it isn't worth it to me to be the test case. I have several pre ban fabric belts and thousands of links. Linking is easy, my linker will do two 10 round belts at a time or one 21 round belt when out of state. The same function will add 20 rounds to any belt if you want longer belts.

But one advantage of 10 round belts is when you let friends fire it, you don't go thru ammo as fast $$$$.

Bhobbs
11-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Part of the craziness of California anti-gun laws is trying to figure out the rules regarding disintegrating belts of linked ammunition.

I bought an Ohio Rapid Fire 1919a4 in .308 caliber way back in 2000, and part of what came with it were a fabric belt for 200 rounds, and 1,000 links for .308 ammunition. I had to have the fabric belt shipped separately to an out-of-state relative since it would violate the "high capacity feeding device" law. The links are another question.

Best as I can figure, it is legal for me to build up a belt of 10 linked cartridges without violating the law. Which of course demonstrates how really pointless the law is, since creating an illegal belt of 200 rounds could be quickly accomplished by simply linking together 20 belts of legal-length!

What I really wonder about though is how the law is supposed to work for people who already had possession of a disintegrating belt of ammunition, since once fired the links are separated. In theory reloading those links into a new belt could be construed as illegal construction of a high-capacity feeding device, making the links a one time use only item! (as least as far as loading more than 10 rounds of ammunition into a belt).

Why would shooting all the rounds in a legal hi cap belt and reloading it to what ever capacity you want be illegal? You can break down a hi cap mag and rebuild it.

winetoad
11-28-2012, 6:25 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I think I'll just keep the links at 10 rounds.

Bruce
11-28-2012, 8:13 PM
If every fifth round is a tracer, get rid of those ASAP!

winetoad
11-29-2012, 10:51 AM
No tracer rounds..Thankfully

Tasty
11-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't it legal to own/buy/recieve "hi"cap mags and illegal to import/sell/manufacture/let borrow?

alfred1222
11-29-2012, 3:26 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't it legal to own/buy/recieve "hi"cap mags and illegal to import/sell/manufacture/let borrow?

Nope, it is ILLEGAL to buy and receive, and it is also illegal it have a post-2000 hi cap mag that is assembled. You can have rebuild kits, and you can own legal pre-ban mags. That's it.

aklover_91
11-29-2012, 4:00 PM
It's illegal to buy because that would make you complicit in a sale or transfer, but I'm not sure how finding one on the ground or an operation of law as the result of a death could be considered to.

corcoraj2002
11-29-2012, 4:23 PM
if you purchase a locker or what ever and there is a regular cap mag in it, by law you are good to go. You did not transfer etc. So, in theory, if your grandfather left it in a foot locker and left that to you, you would be good.

Glock22Fan
11-29-2012, 4:34 PM
Of course, we should all strive to be legal - but having said that:

"What I have is legal. Beyond that, I will be happy to answer any of your questions through my attorney. Good day."

Don't talk yourself into trouble.