View Full Version : Legal question on selling a Mini-14

11-27-2012, 6:48 PM
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I am thinking about getting rid of a Mini-14 I havenít used in a lot of years to buy a new one. I have owned this since before the 30 round mags were banned in komifornia. I have 6 of the aftermarket 30 rounds Magazines. I am pretty sure they are legal for me to own since I have owned them since before they were illegal. I am just wondering if I can include them with the gun when I sell it or if they have to be tossed? I also have a folding stock that I understand is illegal in Cal? Can that go with it if it is not on the gun? I bought it a couple years back at a gun show. I appreciate any advice.

11-27-2012, 7:11 PM
You can disassemble the mags and sell them as rebuild or parts kits but do not sell them assembled!
As for the folding stock you could sell that too it just becomes illegal AW when its installed on the rifle in the state of CA.Bu if it the buyer goes to AZ or elsewhere he can install the folding stock.

11-27-2012, 7:15 PM
If you're buying a new one, why wouldn't you keep the mags for it?

You can sell the mags out of state, or you can disassemble them as parts kits to sell with the rifle or separately.

Nothing illegal about selling a folding stock, but to install on the rifle the rifle would need to be fitted with a magazine lock and still would need to be at least 30" long in the shortest fireable position.

11-27-2012, 7:21 PM
Good advice so far.

Now, you are selling a gun you have not used for years in order to buy an new one - new as in another Mini 14 or what? - that you will use more often because.......

11-27-2012, 7:23 PM
Keep them! You can never reaquire(sp) high caps in the future.

11-27-2012, 7:50 PM
Thanks for all the great comments. Very helpful. I am selling since I havenít used it in years to buy a very nice .308 a buddy is selling. Hate to sell any of them but already have an AR so the one that doesnít get used has to go. I will disassemble the mags and sell them with the gun as well as the stock. At least the new owner will have the parts kits for the future. thaks again