PDA

View Full Version : Has this ammo malfunction ever happened to you? (Pics)

tal3nt
11-27-2012, 7:05 PM
I visited the range over the weekend with my Glock 19. I was using the same reloads that have been serving me well for over a year now. Anways, on the third or fourth round of a magazine filled with ten, I pulled the trigger but heard no bang. Racked the slide and ejected what appeared to be dud round which I at first thought might have been a light strike/hard primer issue, but upon closer inspection I noticed this:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/tal3nt/20121127_163621.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/tal3nt/20121127_163532.jpg
Has this ever happened to you before? It looks like the primer blew up on the wrong side or something. No damage to my firearm. The bullet was still 100% seated into the casing. Can a primer be "installed" backwards on accident, or is that out of the question? I've never seen a primer before by itself. First time it's ever happened; thought it was strange and figured I'd share.

Panchira!
11-27-2012, 7:14 PM
Looks like no primer was installed. Just another reason to check your ammo before you shoot it.

TheExiled
11-27-2012, 7:18 PM
There's no primer. Happened to me this weekend with my own reload I made on the way out the door :d'oh:

Bunsen
11-27-2012, 7:20 PM
I would agree that it appears there was never a primer seated in there before. The other thing I have seen on reloaded ammo that had swagged pockets is a bad charge that knocked the primer out of the pocket either while it was in the mag or upon firing.

tal3nt
11-27-2012, 7:20 PM
Ya'll sure the primer didn't just pop off after it went off?

Panchira!
11-27-2012, 7:23 PM
Primers make a audible pop if it went off and would have unseated the projectile.

tal3nt
11-27-2012, 7:26 PM
Thanks everybody, never even considered that a primer was never there fromt he start. I would think I woulda noticed if there was a primer missing; there wasn't any loose "powder" in the bag that contained the round.. Only after I picked up the ejected round did I notice a bunch of powder all over my hands.. At any rate, I will definitely take extra care to inspect each round from now on.

tal3nt
11-27-2012, 7:27 PM
Primers make a audible pop if it went off and would have unseated the projectile.

Well, the group next to me was laughing hysterically from the 500 revolver they rented.. It may have made a sound..

drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
11-27-2012, 7:38 PM
I've seated primers upside down before; always caught them before adding powder. I don't use the primer arm and auto primer feed tubes any more. Never forgot the primer before but it could certainly happen if you don't have a good QC process. I use the RCBS hand primer now. I find it pretty foolproof.

bnate
11-27-2012, 7:41 PM
just curious....how then would powder stay in the case w/out a primer? ...then come out in his hands after the misfire....

tal3nt
11-27-2012, 7:48 PM
It'll probably forever be a mystery. I'll just blame the reloads.

Jimmy310
11-27-2012, 7:55 PM
on another note, what kind of brass is that? the writing looks to be hebrew or arabic?

Mojave Desert
11-27-2012, 7:56 PM
It looks like a berdan primed empty case(see the two small flash holes?) made it to the reloading machine. When the decapping pin got to the solid bottom of the case, it punched a big hole and made its own boxer style flash hole then removed the old primer. The old foreign case(arabic writing?) probably did not have the correct size primer pocket so when the new primer was seated, it did not stay put and fell out. Click.

REH
11-27-2012, 7:57 PM
Looks like no primer. Yes you can seat a primer upside down. Also if it is a flake powder, 231 or like, it's hard to exit the primer flash hole.

P5Ret
11-27-2012, 8:00 PM
I've got a couple Winchester factory loads that have primers backwards. I don't know if the primer would go off if struck from the wrong side, my bet is it would but I'm not going to do the experiment. Backward primer firing pin strike maybe deformed the primer enough that it came out when the round hit the ground?

Madpyro
11-27-2012, 8:02 PM
It looks like a berdan primed empty case(see the two small flash holes?) made it to the reloading machine. When the decapping pin got to the solid bottom of the case, it punched a big hole and made its own boxer style flash hole then removed the old primer. The old foreign case(arabic writing?) probably did not have the correct size primer pocket so when the new primer was seated, it did not stay put and fell out. Click.

^^^This^^^

Bigtwin
11-27-2012, 8:05 PM
From the first pic there is no primer in there. From other posts I did not even read the writing on the brass, not american at all and the other poster that mentioned Berdan primed...yes, I see that too!

Where did you find these reloads?

tal3nt
11-27-2012, 8:18 PM
I appreciate the info. I too noticed the strange casing. It's a BulletMan911 reload. I've never seen this type of casing from his reloads before though.. they're usually always American

tal3nt
11-27-2012, 8:21 PM

Makes perfect sense. Better check my casings from now on.

JeremyS
11-27-2012, 8:34 PM
Yeah, that's Berdan. The boxer primer would have been loose in there, even seated in the correct direction and to the correct depth. I've reloaded some shotgun shells where the primer hole was just a little too large for whatever reason, and the new primer slid out. Sometimes it didn't happen until the powder was in there and the wad pressed down on it and pushed the primer out. Pretty annoying haha... only happened a couple of times before I got really used to the feel of the primer going in and I could tell when there wasn't enough resistance, and then I'd check the primer.

Anyway... it fell out. Whether it fell out during the reloading process, in the box, in your magazine, etc... who knows? Unless you find it.

btw -- often just a primer is enough to fire a bullet out the barrel, and in some cases (especially with larger primers, like rifle primers) with a shocking amount of velocity. Sometimes it'll get a bullet stuck in a barrel (squib load). If you ever pull the trigger and you get a small pop instead of a full-on boom and the case doesn't eject, etc, you MUST look down your barrel to make sure it's clear (safety tard edit: drop the mag, lock the slide open, make sure the chamber is empty, and ideally just look in the chamber and make sure you see light coming through the barrel. I know it's hard, but try to avoid just whipping the gun around and pointing it at your own eye...). It's probably more common to get a round with no powder in it than one with no primer, and it's quite dangerous if the bullet gets stuck in the barrel and you fire another round behind it.

tal3nt
11-27-2012, 8:43 PM
Yeah, that's Berdan. The boxer primer would have been loose in there, even seated in the correct direction and to the correct depth. I've reloaded some shotgun shells where the primer hole was just a little too large for whatever reason, and the new primer slid out. Sometimes it didn't happen until the powder was in there and the wad pressed down on it and pushed the primer out. Pretty annoying haha... only happened a couple of times before I got really used to the feel of the primer going in and I could tell when there wasn't enough resistance, and then I'd check the primer.

Anyway... it fell out. Whether it fell out during the reloading process, in the box, in your magazine, etc... who knows? Unless you find it.

btw -- often just a primer is enough to fire a bullet out the barrel, and in some cases (especially with larger primers, like rifle primers) with a shocking amount of velocity. Sometimes it'll get a bullet stuck in a barrel (squib load). If you ever pull the trigger and you get a small pop instead of a full-on boom and the case doesn't eject, etc, you MUST look down your barrel to make sure it's clear. It's probably more common to get a round with no powder in it than one with no primer, and it's quite dangerous if the bullet gets stuck in the barrel and you fire another round behind it.

Excellent advice & I agree 100%. Even though it was obvious the bullet was still attached to the casing once I ejected the round, I still had to field strip it and take a look through the barrel.

Grizzled Bastard
11-27-2012, 8:53 PM
It's exactly as Mojave Desert suggested.

I have caught a few of these over the last 25 years of reloading large quantities of pistol ammo on my Dillons. After a while, you learn to "feel" for these oddities while manufacturing. Never build ammo when subject to distractions. Part of my process is to place all the completed cartridges in Dillon ammo boxes, primer side up. I dab a spot of clear nail polish on every primer which seals them and forces me to look at each and every one of them to catch issues like this very one. I've seen and experienced my share of squib loads.

tal3nt
11-27-2012, 9:02 PM
So the large hole in the center of the primer pocket originally wasn't there?

Grizzled Bastard
11-27-2012, 9:04 PM
So the large hole in the center of the primer pocket originally wasn't there?

It's there, it's just a smaller hole. You can feel the heavier resistance when depriming and sizing the case. That's when you should catch it.

tal3nt
11-27-2012, 9:06 PM
It all makes sense now thanks to all your info and a google images search. This is what it must have looked like before a hole was punched through:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/tal3nt/090521a.jpg

DavidR310
11-27-2012, 10:12 PM
If you ever pull the trigger and you get a small pop instead of a full-on boom and the case doesn't eject, etc, you MUST look down your barrel to make sure it's clear. It's probably more common to get a round with no powder in it than one with no primer, and it's quite dangerous if the bullet gets stuck in the barrel and you fire another round behind it.

Gun doesn't fire right, must look down barrel. Gotcha.

Like this?

SRIr7c35zuY

JeremyS
11-27-2012, 10:15 PM
LOL. There are other ways to look down the barrel of your gun than sticking the muzzle in your face. Next time I'll make sure to put an * in there for anyone else retarded enough to do that who's still alive and also literate.

DavidR310
11-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Lol