PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical registration question

sbjmg
11-27-2012, 3:31 PM
Hypothetically speaking if I had a friend who possessed/owned a pistol that was not registered (not stolen) how would he go about selling it to someone else via an FFL or registering it and keeping it. Lets say the hypothetical gun is less than 10 years old and is not on the CA safety roster. Lets also say the friend is a CA resident and has not lived outside this great state of ours.

If I were hypothetically asked to advise him on his legal options what theoretically would I tell him?

Librarian
11-27-2012, 3:43 PM
Hypothetically speaking if I had a friend who possessed/owned a pistol that was not registered (not stolen) how would he go about selling it to someone else via an FFL or registering it and keeping it. Lets say the hypothetical gun is less than 10 years old and is not on the CA safety roster. Lets also say the friend is a CA resident and has not lived outside this great state of ours.

If I were hypothetically asked to advise him on his legal options what theoretically would I tell him?

Hypothetically, your friend might have failed to follow CA law and likely would have committed a misdemeanor by failing to transfer through an FFL.

Such misdemeanors generally have a statute of limitations of 3 years.

It happens that transfers of handguns through CA FFLs send information on the gun and the buyer to the state, thus registering them. But not all guns are known to the state, for a number of entirely legal reasons (as well as 'other'); it isn't required that a gun be 'registered' to own and possess it legally. Since they're not all registered, on a PPT that isn't checked.

California has required substantially all firearms transfers to go through a CA FFL since 1991. Spread the word.