PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at speed/multiple targets Sig trigger question

unusedusername
11-27-2012, 3:49 PM
Hi all,

So I've just started playing around with shooting my Sigs at speed so I wanted to ask a question of the folks here that are used to the Sig trigger when used in this way.

I'll start by saying how I've used the trigger in slowfire (as this may also be incorrect) and then ask how this transitions to firing at speed.

When I use the Sig trigger in slowfire I am used to the 4 points of interest in the trigger, DA resting point, SA resting point, reset point and sear release point.

In slowfire I usually start at the DA resting point then for the first shot pull back slowly to the sear release point. The action then cycles and I slowly move the trigger to just forward of the reset point, re aim, then pull the trigger back to the sear release point.

Followup shots are taken by simply by cycling the trigger between the reset point and the sear breaking point.

If I am shooting at speed at a single target do I simply do the same thing faster, or do I do something else?

When firing at a single target I do not have any fear of "prepping" the trigger as the gun is on target (on the paper anyways) the whole time. If I am bumped from behind or inadvertently pull too early there is no safety issue.

If I transition this to two targets at a 90 degree offset from the shooter, then holding a prepped trigger when I move from the first target to the second seems like it might be a little bit of a safety issue as I'm muzzling the entire room (which is downrange anyways), but still I am not on a target.

Is this a problem? Should I allow the trigger to go all the way back to the SA resting point while transitioning between targets?

Also, I know a forum is not a replacement for training, however most of the trainers in my area shoot 1911s so they are not that familiar with Sig triggers :( I'm near San Francisco, and out of state travel is not in my budget.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Also this question has been cross-posted on Sigforum as well.

BamBam-31
11-27-2012, 4:39 PM
From taking a class with Bruce Gray, and from what my Academy instructors say, I would say holding the trigger at the reset point is the thing to do both for speed shooting and for transitions.

CrippledPidgeon
11-27-2012, 7:45 PM
Take a class at Reed's from Louis Awerbuck. His knowledge of firearms and firearm triggers is fairly comprehensive. While he does most of his demonstrations with a deactivated M1911, I'm almost certain that he's shot literally every type of pistol ever invented plus a couple others.

Basically unless you're super close to the target, at no point should you be wailing on the trigger. You should be doing the normal take up to the break, break, follow through, that you do with slow fire, just done quicker. The rate that you can shoot is entirely dependent on how quickly you can do this and still deliver accurate fire on target.

I almost never let the trigger back to the resting point unless I'm transitioning targets, and even then, it's not quite reset to that point because I don't want my finger leaving the trigger until I'm actually done shooting. If you lose contact with the trigger, it may cause you to jerk the next shot.

sjm9877
11-27-2012, 8:11 PM
I shoot a sig in IDPA. It's has to start it double action. When shooting for speed I use the reset a quickly as I can with the least amount of travel as possible. When moving from one target to the next. I keep the trigger pulled all the way back until I aqquire the target. I then let the trigger out to reset and fire again. This is the way I always shoot wether its slow fire or high speed. I only take my finger off the trigger when required.

9mmepiphany
11-27-2012, 10:43 PM
The way you are resetting the trigger and than prepping it for the next shot is how it is initially taught and is fine for slow fire, but you'll soon find it will limit your ability to shoot accurately at any speed approaching 3 rounds a second.

It sounds like you are resetting the trigger in series after recovering from recoil. It also sounds like you are waiting for recovery before transitioning to the next target. This artificially limits the speed you can place shots accurately, when it should be limited only by how fast you can see your aligned sights on the target.

The first thing you should learn is how to reset the trigger in parallel with the muzzle flip. When the sights return onto target, you should be ready to press off the next shot. Learning to perceive the aligned sights on target and allowing that perception to cue you trigger press is the large turning point in shooting faster than 4 rounds a second...based on using the Isosceles stance/grip. You can't shoot accurately any faster than you can see the sights on target.

As a side benefit, this also addresses you other question. I don't reset my trigger either before or after I move the muzzle to the next target...you should transition to the next target while resetting the trigger. It is really quite smooth with proper instruction and a bit of practice.

At a recent IDPA match, I engaged a pair of targets at about 12 yards. The object was to place two rounds on each target. In the picture below, I've fired two shots on the first target (about 3" apart), transitioned to the next target, recovered from muzzle flip, aligned my sights, and am about to fire the next two shots. You'll note that the first two cases are still in the air above my slide

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/TangBrass.jpg

sjm9877
11-28-2012, 8:18 AM
There are lots of ways to go about it. Find what feels comfortable for you. My way has brought me from my first IDPA match last December to SSP Expert classification this August. Just needed some range time to practice.