PDA

View Full Version : If I cut 1/2+" off MechTech 16.25" Glock "upper" would it be CA legal?

Squid
11-27-2012, 12:10 PM
If I cut 1/2+" off MechTech 16.25" Glock "upper" would it be CA legal?.....

as a CA handgun, just like a lone wolf extended barrel?

http://mechtechsys.com/what_is.php

This would be for Glock 20, to take advantage of 10MM extra power.

Not a too serious a gun, basically for Mall Ninja use, Zombies, showing off at the range.

I'm still waiting for LW to make a 9" barrel for G20, like they do for G35.

I guess they don't make a 9" for G20 because the 6" already covers SSE???

JeremyS
11-27-2012, 12:22 PM
From their FAQ:

I live in California - can I legally purchase a CCU ?

Yes - recent CA court decisions and the 'california code of regulations' [CCR 11 paragraph 5469 (a)] allow a properly configured CCU to be legal.
'Properly Configured' means a magazine which requires a 'tool' to release it and a min. overall length of 30". On our forum there is information on
how to make a 'bullet button' magazine release.
Please see our Forum ander the 'California Legal' topic for more details.

So if you make it a rifle, you must use a mag lock. I'm not sure on legality of making it a pistol with a pistol-length (sub-16") barrel. The thing is designed to accept a butt stock. IF that's okay, assuming you do not own a butt stock that can fit it (possibly constructive possession since we're talking NFA stuff now... SBR) and don't put a butt stock on it, it's just like any other pistol. Or, modify it so it cannot accept a butt stock (or ask MechTech to do that)? ...check their forums like they suggest... check the laws about constructive possession.

The kit DOES function like this (and this is how it comes in "standard" configuration):

http://mechtechsys.com/images/web/GLK%20basic%20with%20lower%20web%20size.jpg

And that's a pistol with a long barrel. Check CA laws for any maximum barrel length allowance for a pistol. There's certainly no minimum, so if you chopped it to 9" or whatever, it's definitely a pistol. Again, possibly some concern over the fact that it is designed to accept a butt stock, so definitely look into that and, if it's a problem, disable its ability to accept a butt stock.

lt05deluxe
11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
I think it would only be legal if it were shorter and have the stock removed. The stock makes it a rifle that's why you don't see any pistol ARs or pistol AKs with stocks. But I could be wrong.

Squid
11-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Now I'm wondering if that tube would be called a "stock".

I was gonna leave it just like as pic in link I provided, without any added stock.

Oceanbob
11-27-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm still waiting for LW to make a 9" barrel for G20, like they do for G35.

I guess they don't make a 9" for G20 because the 6" already covers SSE???

I just received my Lonewolf 9 inch barrel. Weird looking but it should add FPS to the 135 Grain Underwood ammo that already does 1500 FPS out of a stock Glock 22. . Another Zombie machine.:D

I plan to run it in my Glock 35 for fun.

Why not just shoot the Mech-Tech as a Carbine?

I see no reason it couldn't be a long-barreled pistol as long as no one perceived a stock on the back-end.

JeremyS
11-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Now I'm wondering if that tube would be called a "stock".

I was gonna leave it just like as pic in link I provided, without any added stock.

No, that would not be considered a shoulder stock. It's a necessary part of the gun where the recoil spring resides and the bolt cycles into. It's no different from an AR pistol, which is totally legal (buffer tube does NOT count as a stock):

http://gunpreparedness.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/full-k23p1.jpg

^^^ however, and this goes back to my concern, these are made specifically so the buffer tubes cannot accept an actual butt stock. While the MechTech would certainly NOT count as a butt stock, it is designed to have one added and that might present a problem. If you really, really want to use it as a pistol only, my suggestion to be 100% on the safe side would be to make sure it can no longer accept a butt stock. I don't know how they attach to this thing, but if it's a matter of destroying threads or pinning a block in there or something "permanent" so a stock cannot be put on, then you should be absolutely safe. Again, I'm not sure it's a problem anyway but people do bring this up when talking about AR pistols (ability to have a shoulder stock added or not) so it may be a concern. Certainly there may be info in this in the stickied threads with the flowcharts, or maybe on the BATFE website, etc

Oceanbob
11-27-2012, 1:19 PM
Maybe cut off or remove the mounting LUG on the back of the Mech-tech to erase any doubt a stock could be added. The only thing is you're paying $350+ for a barrel.

I wish we lived in a free State so we could just pay the $200 (?) for the Short Barreled Rifle permit. I would love to attach a stock to my GLOCK 35 with it's 22 round magazine and lone-wolf 9 inch barrel.

It just arrived and I haven't shot it yet.

http://i50.tinypic.com/29dxq1j.jpg

The barrel looks longer than it is in this photo. Total length is 9 inches.

http://i48.tinypic.com/11kjn6s.jpg

Quiet
11-27-2012, 5:38 PM
http://mechtechsys.com/images/web/GLK%20basic%20with%20lower%20web%20size.jpg

This has a second hand grip (part forward the charging handle that appears to be attached by four screws). [PC 30515(a)(4)(B)]
It needs to be removed or the pistol needs a fixed 10 round or less magazine, in order to be CA legal.

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning the bearer's hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.